• Published 17th Aug 2012
  • 660 Views, 4 Comments

Sweet Pink Sunset - Annon56



Forest Thundertred's past comes back to challenge him after years of training and trying to move on

  • ...
 4
 660

The Doozy

Arrow Distorton has a unique ability as a pegasus. At his full speed, he is able to distort or reshape terrain to his liking. It proved to be a very useful skill when it came to being a defender. Being able to constantly change the layout of a site would make it hard for any possible threats to recognise the area properly therefore allowing the defenders to plan good strategies for every encounter. He achieved this ability in his days as a colt, and so he developed a great passion for it and got his cutie mark. A shockwave with a distorting arrow coming out of it.

Nothing made him feel freer than having the will to reshape whatever he liked without having to destroy it. To him, it was a whole new form of art.

Boa, Jokey, and Forest watched the pegasus reshaping the terrain to create a wide grass hill stretching out, to the left of the new hill would be the Everfree forest, all the way to the far right would be a dirt road that leads to Canterlot. The hill was formed at least three hundred meters away from the watch point. There are some trees in front of the watch point and behind the new hill. It was perfect security for the day.

"Is there anything else that I missed out on!" Arrow shouted from the new hill while hovering in the air.

"You missed a little bump on the edge of the hill!" Boa exclaimed.

"I'm sorry, can you please repeat that!"

Jokey stood on his hind legs placing his front hooves around his mouth, "she said you need to do a tripple backflip into the hill!"

"Jokey..." Boa tutted angrily as she shoved him when he got back on all fours.

The pegasus squinted his eyes at the two looking as confused as an earth pony in Cloudsdale, he flew back to the watch point landing in front of them.

"I do not understand, what is it that you want me to do, Boa?" He asked the earth pony as she waved her long red hair out of her light fiery red eyes.

"I was just going to say that there s a bit on the edge of the left side of the hill, but Jokey here decided to make things complicated," the mare said as she jerked her head to Jokey.

The slightly pale yellow unicorn shook his head as he directed his purple eyes to look up while cocking an eyebrow. "Lighten up, Boa, I tried to give Row here some stylish directions that s all. Besides, everypony knows that mares aren't very good with directions anyway, heh."

"Oh really?"

"Uh, yah." Jokey replied, sounding cocky.

"'Cause this mare is about to direct some pain onto your ass," Boa threatened Jokey as she narrowed her eyes at him.

"Now what did my mule ever do to you?"

"Oh, you have a mule? I never noticed the difference."

"Pff!" Forest quickly placed his hoof on his mouth to stop himself from chuckling out loud; whereas Arrow stared at Boa and Jokey almost expressionless.

"Seriously Boa? I thought you only had trouble with directions but what school did you go to?" Jokey made his comeback and smirked at Boa as he spinned his purple curly tail around.

"Okay, that s it!" the ebony coated mare was just about ready to give Jokey a black eye as she raised her hoof but Forest got between them and stopped her from landing the hit.

"Woah there, brave knight" Forest said, referring to her costume, a medieval knight, as he held her hoof and slowly let her rest it again.

"Guys, come on, we got the day off and it's a festival for crying out loud, let's just relax and have fun alright?" Forest asserted.

"I agree with Forest," Arrow added.

"Whatever." Boa said.

"I'm cool with that." Jokey complied as he adjusted the hat for his caroller outfit fixing in the hair of his orangey-brown mane around his horn.

"Let us head back to town, I am sure the festival is about to begin." Arrow stated, the four turned around to head back to town.

A loud bang suddenly sounded from behind them stopping them dead in their tracks, the loudness was a shock, rubble began falling onto them, as it stopped the four quickly turned around. Their eyes widened, horrified at the cause of the bang as the monstrosity that stood before them let out a great roar.
There stood three hundred meters away that trampled through a part of the grass hill before them, a gigantic purple beast which was slightly transparent covered with what seemed like stars, having an expression of utter rage. An Ursa Major.

"M-mother of Luna..." Jokey mumbled under his breath.

The gigantic purple bear opened its mouth inhaling deeply and started to gather up magic particles in it, the Ursa was ready to attack.

"Look out! It is going to fire something at us!" Arrow exclaimed, the Ursa Major then fired a large white fiery ball which closely resembled a shooting star.

"Jokey, pressure ball, now!" Forest blurted.

"You got it!" The two unicorns focused their magic and started pressurising wind particles around the tip of their horns; they each launched a pressure ball at the large shooting star, which does not destroy it, but instead immensely decreases it's speed and causes it to drop down at least seventy-five meters in front of the defenders.

Meanwhile in Ponyville, Pinkie Pie was sprinting by about to go behind the library where the exit to the outskirts would meet her path, Applejack jumped into her way.

"Woah there partner! Where are you goin' in such a rush? It ain't like Pinkie Pie to miss out on the beginnin' of a festival."

"Eeyup" Big Macintosh added as he walked up from behind Applejack.

"Applejack, Big Mac, we have to hurry! Something really crazy is about to-" Pinkamena's explanation was interrupted as the sound of a loud explosion just echoed it's way past them. Pinkie Pie gasped.

"What in tarnation s?" Applejack said as she was startled from the sudden bang.

"Holy..." Big Macintosh said as he turned his head back. A giant turquoise crystal bubble formed on top of them covering all of Ponyville, three royal guards above the bubble flew past making their way to the outskirts, a royal guard galloped to Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and Big Macintosh.

"You three, fellow earth ponies, her highness Princess Celestia has formed this shield around Ponyville and requests that all ponies must go to the centre of town, this is an emergency." The royal guard turned away to get back to the centre.

"Applebloom and Grandma Smith should be there by now, come on, let's get going." Big Macintosh stated.

Applejack nodded at him in agreement, "come on now sugarcube, we best getta move on" she said to Pinkie Pie as Big Macintosh and herself made haste to the centre. Pinkamena looked back as she followed them. 'Please be safe, Sunset' she thought to herself.

Back at the watch point, the defenders took position to prepare for the offense.

'Our pressure blasts weren't enough to cancel out that white fire ball... we're gonna have to use a lot more power' Forest pondered.

Boa looked at Arrow and nodded, "do it," she said.

Arrow nodded back to her and took off, flying at his full speed towards the Ursa Major. He then turned to the left as the Ursa tried to slash him down with it's paw, he quickly dodged the attack, Arrow then reshaped a part of the hill whizzing around the Ursa's arm. He then flew to the right side distorting a part of the hill flying all the way around the Ursa's neck, chaining it, preventing the beast from moving.

"We now have the chance!" Arrow shouted to the other three defenders as he flew back to them.

"Here it goes, boulder raiser!" Boa lifted her front left leg and stomped it against the ground, a large boulder popped out of the ground in front of her.

"Alright Forest, time for an encore!" Jokey yelled to him.

"Right!" Forest replied.

"High pressure blast!" The two exclaimed as they sent a hasty and dense wave of air to collide against the boulder. The boulder soared across the air over the field at an alarmingly fast rate and slammed the purple beast in the face, causing it to roar and sway side to side, breaking out of the grass chains.

Three royal pegasi guards then flew in to hover near the defenders, they witnessed the Ursa shaking, balancing itself again. One of the guards turned to the defenders.

"We were sent by Princess Celestia to help you fend off the opponent!" the guard stated, trying to overtake the roaring of the Ursa Major.

"That things got wicked attacks, man! Whatever you do, don't rush in, it could go-" Jokey was interrupted as the Ursa roared again and began to charge up another attack from its mouth.

"The beast is about to attack, quick we must distract it!" Two of the royal guards started flying straight to the Ursa hoping to grab it's attention.

"Are you guys freakin' nuts!" Jokey shouted at the two guards as they flew away.

"W-wait! He just said not to rush in!" the last guard that was left behind exclaimed, he then quickly sped off to his comrades, adrenaline rushing through his veins as he tried to catch up to them. The Ursa unleashed a large beam speeding across the field, the two guards stopped in fear as the last guard swooped them out of the way by trying to fly over the beam, he successfully pushes them out of the way, but the top of the beam brushed against his left wing, then a forceful shockwave formed by the pressure of the beam blew the guards all the way back to the watch point.

"HEADS UP!" Boa shouted.

The defenders then just barely managed to dodge the beam, the shockwave that hit the guards then reached the defenders, blowing them away. Jokey and Forest slammed into the right side of the cliff they were under, as Boa and Arrow hit a large tree on the left side that bordered the Everfree forest.
The beam carved its way past the ground, impacting directly into the shield that was formed around Ponyville. The impact caused the shield to ripple like a stone falling into a lake. The sound of the impact caused everypony in the centre to gasp, shout, and scream in worry, but the shield remained stable due to Celestia's power.

Twilight Sparkle made her way to Celestia past the crowd.

"Princess Celestia... What's happening?"

Celestia looked down at her faithful student to find a frightened expression on her face.

"Twilight... something has gone terribly out of place, an Ursa Major is at the outskirts as we speak, I cannot fight it right now, if I happen to miss out an attack then it could wipe out Ponyville, Luna is making her way to the outskirts this very minute."

"Princess Luna? but the journey from moon to Equestria is not a fast process! what if she can t make it in time!"

"Calm down Twilight Sparkle, have faith in the defenders. Luna will make it in time." Celestia stated as she wrapped her hoof around Twilight.

Twilight's eyes widened at Celestia, she nodded in agreement and closed her eyes giving a small frown.

The defenders tried to move back to their previous positions; they limped and decided to ignore the pain as much as possible in order to walk properly. Arrow looked at Forest as he stared back at him. They were both thinking the same thing.

"So you noticed to right?" Arrow asked.

Forest nodded, "It could charge at us in any minute, but instead it's just standing there waiting... it's almost like it's...it's..."

'Being controlled' Boa and Jokey completed Forest's sentence.

The Ursa Major then stood up on its back legs, staring down at the defenders. The blue star mark on its head began to glow vividly, letting out an aura of the colour. The defenders took notice and quickly made a formation.

"My friends, I have read about this attack before! It is very powerful! We must interrupt it by firing an ultra tri-charged flare beam at its marking! The intensity of the flare can cause the magic build up within it to short circuit!" Arrow exclaimed.

'Right!' Boa, Jokey and Forest complied.

Arrow spread his wings and began to spin rapidly in front of them forming a stable shockwave held in one place, angled to point at the Ursa Major's head. Boa then began to build up what seemed like red energy from underneath her hooves and directed a constant stream to the shockwave. The transparent shockwave then gained a colour of pale red. Jokey streamed a constant heat ray from his horn around the shockwave, immensely pressurising it and holding it in its place, Arrow flew out of the shockwave which he generated to allow Forest to deliver the final process. Forest walked past Jokey and Boa who were still charging up the shockwave, aimed his horn precisely to the centre of it, began to generate a fiery yellow flare from his horn and then launched out a beam.

The beam went through the centre of the shockwave absorbing it all causing the beam to enlarge and dramatically pace its way to the Ursa, impaling it on it's left eye. The mark on the Ursa's head stopped glowing, the Ursa then shook it's head from side to side, grunting in pain as a trail of firey sparks was falling out it's eye. It stomped against the ground sending small quakes around bringing down some trees and roared fiercely again. The Ursa bent its head down and brushed it's eye with its paw. The defenders stood up keeping their eyes on the Ursa as they tried to catch up with their breaths; the Ursa placed its paw back down and stared at the four with one eye closed. The expression of rage then left the Ursa's face, now it seemed confused as it looked around wondering where it was. The purple beast then groaned as it turned around and left the field.

The four defenders waited until it was out of site, they all sighed in great relief, finally allowing themselves to rest. Princess Luna then finally began descending from the sky towards them.