• Published 14th Aug 2012
  • 4,169 Views, 64 Comments

Hearts of the Sky - drakathownz



The Wonderbolts visit Ponyville for the week and Soarin is on a search for a mare on a photo he has.

  • ...
7
 64
 4,169

Chapter 1

Hearts of the Sky
by drakathownz
~~~~~~~~~~
DISCLAIMER: I do not own the characters, backgrounds and setting of this story
~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 1:

Not a single cloud in the sky blocked the dazzling view of the rapidly moving, rainbow-maned Rainbow Dash who was practicing her tricks as usual.
Everyone in town could see the rainbow-coloured trail following Rainbow Dash's fast moving figure but one pony on the ground was following the mach pegasus in the sky.
Her sapphire eyes avoided the view of her long, pastel pink mane as she starred at the performing Rainbow Dash as she began to lower to the ground in front of her one-pony audience.
Rainbow Dash then panted for a moment as asked "What did you think of THAT, Fluttershy?"
The pale yellow pegasus replied with "That was AMAZING Rainbow Dash!"
Rainbow Dash then sighed heavily as a thought entered her head.

'The Wonderbolts come to Ponyville tomorrow morning and I still don't have as much skill as I should have. I'll need to try harder to impress the Wonderbolts in full.'

"Is something bothering you Rainbow Dash?" asked Fluttershy.
"I don't know. It's just that I feel so excited and nervous about the Wonderbolts coming to Ponyville. I don't know if they'll think I'm good enough to join." replied Rainbow Dash with a slightly worried voice.
"Don't think like that Rainbow Dash." assured Fluttershy with her soothing voice. "I'm sure if you show them what you just did they'll say that you're an amazing flyer. I've never seen another pegasus who can fly as good as you Rainbow Dash."
"I guess you're right." sighed Rainbow Dash as she began to hover in the air.
"Are you going to try again?" asked Fluttershy.
"Yeah! The more the better, right?" answered Rainbow Dash with a blush on her cheeks.

Rainbow Dash then took off to practice her same moves again, giving a lot of entertainment to Fluttershy.

* * *

"And that's everything!" said Soarin as he examined his saddlebags and a checklist.

Soarin then left his packed things in his bedroom and began to head for the dining room in the Wonderbolts House.
As the pastel blue pegasus entered the dining room, he saw only three of his fellow Wonderbolts in the room, one of them being Spitfire.
'The other guys must have eaten early and be asleep right now. At least there's somepony to talk to here.' thought Soarin as he slowly glided to his space at the table.
"Oh hey Soarin." said Spitfire in her usual attitude.
"Hey Spitfire" replied Soarin as he laid his eyes on the tasty looking apple pie on his plate.
"You're lucky they did pie for us today. I'm sure you'll be happy with that before we get going." explained Spitfire.
"Hmph, yeah!" munched Soarin.
A Wonderbolt mare asked "Hey, are you looking forward to heading out to Ponyville tomorrow Soarin?"
Soarin swallowed his mouthful and answered "You bet!"
A Wonderbolt stallion mentioned "Did you guys know that the ponies who saved Equestria with the Elements of Harmony live in Ponyville?"
"Of course we do." replied Spitfire. "One of them saved most of our lives at the Best Young Flyer Competition. Man, that was some time ago now."
The Wonderbolt mare then asked "Wait, I remember that happening. Wasn't the pony who saved us the one with the rainbow mane?"
"Yeah!" replied Spitfire. "I think it was. I think her name was Rainbow Dash."
Soarin swallowed his last piece of pie and said "That was the pony who saved my pie at the Grand Galloping Gala!"
"Thinking with your mouth again are we Soarin?" asked the Wonderbolt stallion.
Soarin then laughed at the stallion's joke.

A bell began to ring signalling the Wonderbolts to go to bed for the night.
"Good thing they rang it now. We need that rest before our travels tomorrow." said the Wonderbolt mare as she started to head for her bedroom. "Good night everypony!" she said as she walked to the corridor leading to the mares bedrooms.
The Wonderbolt stallion said nothing but glided towards the corridor Soarin entered the dining room from.
This only left Soarin and Spitfire in the dining room.

As Soarin started to head to his bedroom in the stallions corridor Spitfire placed her hoof on his back.
"Before you go, I need to speak to you about something." Spitfire explained.
Soarin turned around, forcing Spitfire to remove her hoof from Soarin's back and asked "What did you need from me?"
"I've noticed you've been looking at that photo of you at the royal wedding a lot." Spitfire explained. "Is something up?"
Soarin sighed and explained "I don't know Spitfire. There's something with that photo that catches my eye. I know I'm in the photo but there's a mare in the photo who looks so cute. I just can't get her image out of my head."
Spitfire raised an eyebrow. "Let me get this straight. That photo has a mare you like on it? Do you think she's nearby?"
"Well, the photo was taken at Canterlot. She's just such a cute looking pegasus. If only if I spoke to her at that party then I wouldn't be wanting to search for her." sighed Soarin.
"So you're suggesting that she could be anywhere? We are spending a week in Ponyville as of tomorrow. Maybe she could be there." suggested Spitfire.
"Maybe. But what if she isn't?" asked Soarin.
"It's just a matter of luck Soarin." stated Spitfire.
Soarin then took a big yawn. "I just want to get some rest now. Night Spitfire."
Spitfire stood still as Soarin turned towards the stallions bedrooms. "Maybe you should take that photo with you to Ponyville." suggested Spitfire. "If you think it'll help."
Soarin paused for a few seconds. "Maybe it will. Good night Spitfire." said Soarin as he began to walk into the corridor to the stallions bedrooms.

Spitfire looked around for a few seconds and glided to the mares bedrooms.

Soarin was eventually back in his bedroom. His bags containing his Wonderbolt suit and everything else he packed for the trip to Ponyville were still where he left them. He then approached his chest of drawers which had the photo from the royal wedding on the top and picked up the photo.
'Hopefully Spitfire's idea of taking the photo with me will be a good idea.' thought Soarin as he placed the photo in his saddlebags.
He then walked towards his bed and jumped onto it, letting go of any thoughts he had as he drifted to sleep.

* * *

Rainbow Dash struggled to get to sleep tonight. Her mind was still focused on worry if the Wonderbolts didn't like her skills. She still felt as if she wasn't good enough. Even though Fluttershy thought that the Wonderbolts would like her skills, Rainbow Dash still had doubts about that. Maybe she was thinking too negatively about it that it's causing nerves.

'Maybe a drink will fix this.' thought Rainbow Dash as she hopped out of her bed and wondered around her cloudy house to retreive a glass of water. As she got back to her bedroom, she gazed at the poster of the Wonderbolts.
She then thought 'I've met at least two of the Wonderbolts in different times. I know Spitfire pretty well. Maybe if she saw my skills, they'll think differently. It just depends if Fluttershy's guess is right or not.'

Rainbow Dash then nodded her head, took a drink from her glass of water and hopped into her bed.