• Published 29th Oct 2019
  • 3,101 Views, 98 Comments

Who We Choose To Be - milesprower06



As she prepares to take over for her longtime mentor, Princess Twilight reflects on the tribulations that got her here, and what the Elements of Harmony intend for her to do next.

  • ...
7
 98
 3,101

The Brother

Princess Twilight walked along the shaded forest road, the high noon sun shining god rays through the canopy above. Aside from the birds and sounds of wildlife, the sounds that accompanied the hoof beats of her and her dozen guards were the wooden and iron wheels of the wagon her team pulled behind them.

In the wagon, was a locked chest, crates of rations for this two day journey, and the most carefully watched and guarded one, a stone statue of a frail, cowering centaur, having been secured in the wagon with enchanted ropes to ensure it did not tip over.

Finally, after three hours on this forested pathway, the light increased as they came to the end of the forest, and looked out on Horseshoe Bay, and the Sparkling Sea beyond that. From this point of the continent, Griffonstone was almost directly east, and if one looked north on a clear day, you could barely make out the cityscape of Baltimare. But now, Twilight's attention was directly focused on what was ashore on the beach.

She saw them standing on the shore; a dozen centaurs stood watch in front of a sailing vessel nearly 500 feet long. The most imposing among them was a hulking gargoyle creature, who had seen the princess' entourage come out of the forest. His wings looked like they'd be more at home on a dragon. His thick brown mane covered the sides of his head and all around his neck; only his pointed ears protruded from the top near his forehead. Atop his head was a golden crown with a pair of large multi-pronged antlers on the sides, increasing his considerable height even further. When Twilight and the wagon approached, he and he alone stepped out onto the road, approaching her as her group came to a stop.

"Princess Twilight Sparkle of Equestria, I presume." His voice was deep, commanding, but polite. He placed a claw on his chest and bowed in respect.

"Pleased to make your acquaintance, King Scorpan, was it?" Twilight replied, giving a half-bow in return.

"Scorpan, son of Vorak, and Ruler of the Centaurian Ascendancy. Likewise, your majesty. I only wish the first meeting of our nations in centuries could be on a better note than the handing off of a war criminal." The gargoyle replied, as the alicorn waved him over and walked with him to the guarded wagon.

"A start is a start, and we can only get better from here, I would hope. Discord said Tirek was your brother?" Twilight asked.

"Yes. A most troublesome and ambitious sibling. His magical abilities are unique even among our people. A traitorous Elder Mage had traveled to your kingdom and whisked away a unicorn to experiment on. It was how Tirek discovered his abilities. Fortunately, the harm to the unicorn was not permanent, he was safely returned home, and the mage was imprisoned. But my brother's ambitions had been sparked. I came with him when he himself made the journey to Equestria. While I came to appreciate your kingdom's befriending ways, he remained steadfast in his plan to harness your magic. I alerted Celestia and Luna to his plan, as I did not have the courage to challenge him myself, and perhaps that was an error. I returned to the Ascendancy and left him to his fate. Now, it seems his journey has come full circle."

"What will you do with him?" Twilight asked as they came to stand in the back of the wagon, in front of the lone centaur statue.

"His crimes are serious, but the vast majority of them took place in your land, I would yield that decision to you, Princess." Scorpan replied.

"I won't pretend to be familiar with the customs, nor the judicial processes of the Centaurian Ascendancy, your Majesty. But you've already come to know and appreciate the Magic of Friendship. Could you consider... Forgiving him?" Twilight asked.

"You mean to release him from this stone prison? That would have to be done before we depart. Are you sure that idea is wise, Your Highness? My brother is dangerous."

"I'm fully aware of that. That's why I brought this." Twilight said. Out of a small chest in the back corner of the wagon, she produced a wide silver collar. She levitated it over to the towering gargoyle.

"An inhibitor. Placed around his neck, it would render his magical abilities completely inert. I can attune it to only unlock by your hand, if you like." Twilight said as Scorpan took hold of the metal collar that locked in the back, looking as if it had been crafted specifically to fit around his brother's neck.

"I find myself wondering if the way he is isn't the best course. He's returned to our land, and we wouldn't waste resources keeping him fed and sheltered. But... You are right, of course, Princess Sparkle. If I am not willing to give my own flesh and blood another chance, how can I say that I have truly come to understand and appreciate the ways of Equestrians?"

Scorpan held out the collar, and nodded at the alicorn. Twilight's horn glowed, and fired a beam that enveloped the collar along with the gargoyle's hands. It lasted a few moments before the glow faded, and Twilight stepped away from the back of the wagon, letting Scorpan approach with the magical mechanism. The gargoyle reached up, and put the silver brace around the centaur's neck, fastening it around the back with a heavy click.

With that, Scorpan stepped back, and Twilight's horn lit up, and she shot a golden beam at the stone statue. It began to crack and glow from within. Just as it looked like the statue would crumble to the floor of the wagon, the stone skin melted away, and there stood a frail Tirek, glaring down at her.

"So, Princess. Your benevolent, merciful plan is to merely hand me over to my weakling brother who decided to walk away from infinite power?" Tirek immediately said, stepping to the edge of the wagon.

Before she could answer, Twilight heard a growl from Scorpan's throat as he took a long step forward and grabbed his sibling by the throat, picked him up, and slammed him against the side of the wagon, the wheels digging into the dirt in response as it was shoved several inches to the left. Twilight had to tell her guards to stay as they were.

"After what you did to their land and citizens, I believe returning you to your homeland to be an unfathomable act of mercy." Scorpan replied, his tone imposing and threatening, with Tirek glaring at the gargoyle that could probably snap him in half with barely any effort. "No doubt you remember what happened to Sendak after he kidnapped that single Equestrian for his experiments. Here, you have harmed hundreds, if not thousands of them. If you continue to make me believe Princess Twilight's hopes here to be in vain, rest assured, his fate will be nothing compared to what I'll have in store for you."

Scorpan dropped the centaur to the ground.

"Tirek, I knew it was very unlikely that you would listen to me. Equestrians have never believed in killing their prisoners, and I would rather not start my reign by keeping a creature locked up for an indefinite amount of time; not if I believe they can see the light. If you wouldn't listen to me, I was hoping you would listen to your family." Twilight said to the frail centaur, who barely acknowledged her.

"So the Ascendancy is just as misguided as ever? Tell me, brother. What is wrong with the strong ruling the weak?" Tirek challenged.

"Nothing, depending on your definition of strength, and ruling. Power with no purpose beyond increasing itself has no greater meaning. Physical strength alone makes you nothing more than a brute, a bully, and a coward. Tempering that strength with compassion and knowledge, and using it to lift up those beneath you; that is real power, brother." Scorpan replied, nearly spitting out the last word, almost offended at referring to Tirek as family for the time being.

Twilight nodded solemnly in agreement as Tirek remained silent.

"Magic or no, can you look me in the eyes and tell me you would prefer Tartarus, or a personal stone prison to be preferable to returning home? I assure you, I have absolutely no qualms about either of those possibilities." The gargoyle stated firmly.

Tirek grumbled indistinctly, not giving any kind of straight answer to his brother's question. Scorpan waved his guards over to the wagon, and he pointed for his brother to join them, and they escorted the minuscule centaur back to the waiting ship. When they were on board, Scorpan turned back to the Princess of Friendship.

"For what it may be worth, Your Highness, I thank you. After what my brother did, lenience such as this is the last thing I'd expect. I know what your hopes are, that he might be able to turn from his power-hungry ways, but you must understand, I have to absolutely ensure that he never becomes a threat again, to your citizens or mine, or to anycreature. And if he does appear to see the light, my trust will take a very considerable amount of time to be regained" The gargoyle told her. Twilight nodded in response.

"I know I don't have any say in how he's punished with your laws in your lands, but I hope he can feel the spark of friendship one day, just as you did. His abilities are impressive. I only hope he can be taught to use them in the right ways, for the betterment of your people, and for us all." Twilight replied.

Scorpan nodded respectfully.

"Powerful, merciful, and wise. I believe it is fortunate for us all that Equestria is not a warmaking kingdom. I doubt many would be able to stand against you."

The Princess decided to take the remark as a compliment, and the two rulers bowed to each other in farewell.

"Thank you. Safe journey home, King Scorpan." Twilight stated.

"And you as well, Princess Twilight." Scorpan replied, and with that, the gargoyle turned and headed back to the ship with the last two of his guards, leaving the princess and her escort at the front of the forest.