• Published 23rd Oct 2019
  • 3,502 Views, 81 Comments

How I Lost My Mother - Stardust456



Cozy Glow and Princess Celestia have a history together. One that no pony could ever imagine.

  • ...
13
 81
 3,502

Chapter 6: Plotting Revenge

Cozy was now 10, and after 6 years of rotting in the shadows, she has had enough. She has came up with plans to take over Equestria and overthrow her mother.

Cozy has changed her appearance rather much. She dropped everything that resembles of her mother, and the only thing that she has that was from Celestia was her diary, which she uses for gathering information. Instead of her mother's signature hair that flows freely to one side of the body, she put her long tail and hair up in curls and it was completely held together by a white bow, so that her hair would fall back to normal if she took the bow out. Her red eyes weren't intentionally changed, but having her happiness turn to rage made her look somewhat different than before. She learned to put on a cute act, and she made her smile and eyes a lot larger and wider than before. Finally, she now has a cutie mark on her flank, which was a red rook. It looked exactly like the one that her mother drained magic into, except it wasn't glowing with Cozy's pink aura.

She was in her study, forming a plan for revenge , with scrolls and books all over the desk. She looked down at the flank, and remembered how she got her cutie mark when she was 7.


Seven year old Cozy was in the library, studying magical artifacts and potions. She figured that if she couldn't have physical magic to defend her, the most magic she could have would be with those.

But she knew she had to have more than enchanted toys and liquids. She needed something that can get her even farther into her plan. Ever since she found out the truth, she's been watching and spying on Twilight a lot to learn her strengths and weaknesses. But that won't help if she doesn't have strengths of her own equally powerful.

"How am I supposed to have control over something powerful that isn't magic?" Cozy asked herself, drumming her hoof on her book.

"Hmm, let's see. What has powerful beings such as Twilight, mother, or even villains been able to do that's very powerful that isn't magic? Twilight is smart, but she usually uses the Elements of Harmony. Nightmare Moon relied entirely on her magic to bring eternal night, so I can't look up to that. Discord relies on magic even more, but he formed a plan to trick Twilight and her friends so that they can be corrupted. That's pretty smart, but I can't corrupt ponies after. Chrysalis relied on magic and her army, and Shining Armour's love, and her wits and plan wasn't very stable since Twilight got suspicious. King Sombra, well, I don't know much about what happened. Lord Tirek relied on draining magic from ponies, but then again, he wasn't able to drain magic from powerful beings until he got a certain amount."

Cozy continued to think. "And he didn't use magic entirely. He was able to overthrow Discord when he was in his weakest state! Now that is powerful. And if he was able to overthrow such a powerful being without magic, then that means I can as well. And the powerful thing Tirek used was.....manipulation."

Cozy hesitated before saying that last word. She could've sworn she saw another powerful example of that before. In fact, she remembered it being used against her. When was it again? It was on the tip of her tongue. She glanced at all the books on her table until her eyes fell on a small brown book beneath a Potions textbook. She pulled it out, and she realized that it was her mother's diary.

Trying to remember when manipulation was used against her, she hoped that flipping through her mother's diary would help ring a bell. All of a sudden she stopped at a page where she saw the word 'manipulate', and she read the page.

"I must say, I'm glad that I considered to erase everypony's memories when I casted that spell with the Elements of Harmony. Alright, it sounds selfish, I know. But if I try to find Cozy right now, I'm afraid of how she would react. I just hope that she'll forget about it. But since I considered erasing memories, nopony would be against me for what I did. And even if Cozy told them, they would believe a princess more than a four year old girl. I know it sounds terrible, but if anypony found out what I did, they would hate me and turn against me. They would think that a kind, wise, and caring ruler would be nothing but a monster who manipulates other ponies to think that I'm nice, but on the inside that I'm actually willing to betray my daughter. I could say that they would be half right if that's the case, the only difference that I actually want to be wise and caring, and I never wanted to betray my daughter in the first place. What I'm doing is terrible, but it's for Equestria's own good, and I will do anything to protect it. Even if it means I'll have to manipulate a little bit."

"How did I miss this page?" Cozy asked to herself. She's read most of the diary thoroughly to find any information about her mother's weaknesses (which gave her a chuckle when she found out Celestia's afraid of chickens).

"So that was the time I saw manipulation. I can't believe my own mother is lying to the ponies of Equestria because she thinks it's for their own good!" She angrily kicked the lamp on her table so hard that it broke before it hit the ground. She took a few deep breaths before resuming to thinking and reminding herself that tantrums got her nowhere.

"If manipulation can be as powerful as to deceive the lord of chaos, and fool everypony in Equestria, and since it doesn't require magic, I can learn to use it as well." Cozy realized what her next step was. "So, what are some key traits that can make you good at manipulating others?"

She read aloud from her mother's diary. "Ponies would often listen to a grown pony with wisdom and kindness, with evidence that they have achieved so much. They would typically follow somepony with authority and respect, along with poised appearances, such as wearing fancy clothes. But that's not necessarily always the case. If fillies were to try to manipulate, they would typically make themselves look cute and kind, both in appearance and personality. I should know, Cozy and her friends always use this trick when they make their eyes and smiles wide when they convince their parents to stay past their bedtime. But I found that okay, since it wasn't used for harm. Unlike what I did."

"Cute and kind, huh?" Cozy flew to the other side of the library and stopped by a large mirror on the wall. Cozy looked at her appearance, and she made her eyes and smile wide. After a few minutes, she was satisfied with how her 'cute face' was going to look. She looked at her mane and adjusted it. After a few hours, she managed to put it up in adorable curls held by a white ribbon, which made her hair fall back to normal when she took it out. She used makeup to put small, white freckles on her cheeks, and she was finally satisfied with her appearance. She looked exactly like what she intended to look like; an extremely adorable little girl.

She wasn't finished yet. She still needs to learn to put on an act. "Golly, how does mother do this so easily?" She asked to herself.

That was when realized something. When she said 'golly', it filled her with this warm, fuzzy feeling. It was the first time she ever said it, but she can't help but think the word sounded adorable. "Golly, golly, golly, golly." She said it over and over again. "Maybe I should say that more often as well."

She practiced other attributes of being adorable as well. She practiced fake crying, which turned out pretty well, and she started talking in a cute, high voice.

"Now, time to see if it works."

She flew out of her castle and all the way from there to Ponyville. It was a busy day, and she noticed that Twilight and her friends weren't here. The sight of Twilight's new castle still infuriated her. It was made from the same crystal, only that it was a different color, and it was the exact same size. Twilight truly was the new replica replacement.

"Lets start with something small." Cozy decided. She noticed that a pony was closing a book store, and decided to go from there.

"Wait!" Cozy yelled before the pony locked it. "There is a new book I really wanted, and I've heard it's now in stores today! Can I please go in and buy it?"

"I'm sorry young filly." The pony apologized. "The store is closed for lunch. But you can come back in half an hour."

"Pleeeeeeeease?" Cozy put on the 'Cute face'. She knew it was working. The salespony was starting to give in. "I'll make it really quick. Besides, I can pay double."

The salespony finally gave in. "Alright then." He opened the door and let Cozy in. It was a rather small store. There were only about half a dozen shelves on each wall. There was only three sofas and a rug in the middle of the store.

Cozy picked some random book she found. "The Journal of the Two Sisters" she read. She knew about this journal, as it was in the Castle of The Two Sisters and her mother told her about it a hundred times. She never knew it was published.

"Are you interested in that book? It's very rare, and the Princesses only had 100 copies of it sold across Equestria. Would you like to buy it?" The salespony asked.

"Yes, please!" Cozy exaggerated her positive and happy tone as much as possible. "I've always admired the princesses so much. From everything to battling evil and magic and anything that threatens Equestria! I want to know so much more!" Cozy hugged the book to her chest.

The salespony smiled at Cozy's positivity. "Well, if you like it so much, then you can have it free of charge."

"What? But I can't-"

"Please, young filly. I must insist. With a pony that has such a thirst for knowledge like you, you deserve it." He guided Cozy towards the door, insisting her to take it.

"Well then, thank you so much!" Cozy backflipped in the air with joy. "Have a good lunch, sir!"

The salespony smiled. "Thank you, young filly. Have a nice day!" And he went off for his lunch break, oblivious to the smirk on Cozy's face.

"Wow! That worked better than I expected. Mother's right! Appearances and personality does play a major role in manipulation. Manipulating is actually quite powerful!"

Cozy started glowing and floating into the air. She levitated a few feet off the ground and shined with a red aura. When the light faded, she was lowered back down, then noticed a chess piece on her flank. A rook. A symbol of manipulation and strategy.


Cozy was still looking down at her flank, remembering everything that happened on that day. She had managed to manipulate other ponies as well, and her first attempt was a great success. But after staring at her flank for a while, she started to think of something else.

The rook on her flank. It looks exactly like the rook Celestia transferred her magic into when she used the Elements of Harmony to turn her into a Pegasus. Since magic couldn't just disappear, it had to go somewhere. And Celestia threw that rook in a portal that lead to somewhere where nopony will ever see it again.

Cozy decided to take a walk outside in Ponyville before she loses her train of thought again. But she carried the diary with her.

She sat down on a bench by Sugarcube Corner and read the diary a little more. She still hasn't read all of it yet, and she flipped through the unread pages until she stopped at one that had a drawing of the rook. She decided to read it.

"After I casted the spell using the Elements of Harmony, I did a little more research with that ancient spell I casted, and I realized I made a grave mistake. Apparently, when Cozy casted the spell to link the sun and moon's power, she became the embodiment of light. The pillars grew a seed, that grew into the Elements of Harmony, which is also a source of light. But since I used a source of light against a source of light, when I transferred Cozy's magic into the rook, the light and happiness within her was also transferred to the rook, but it turned into darkness and rage since it was turned on by a source of light. Two identical things against each other turned happiness and light to it's counterparts, rage and darkness. This means, if Cozy finds the rook, her magic will have no limits, and it will be fueled by depending on how much hatred she has. And after years of isolation after my mistake, I'd say that she would have so much rage within her, that the rook would be impossible for anyone else to use. She wouldn't have to learn any spells, and she would be able to do anything she wants without learning anything as long as she has her rage. In fact, she would have so much rage within her, that she would be able to use her magic anywhere at any time. If I turned her into stone? She would still be able to use it, much less free herself. If I imprisoned her in Tartarus? She'd still be able to use it. If Lord Tirek tried to drain it? He'd only be able to steal her flight. If the ancient changeling stone gets in the way? She'd be immune to it. If there were artifacts draining magic from Equestria? Her magic would be the only one that wouldn't be drained. If somepony tried to take the rook from her, they wouldn't be able to, since at that point it would be made entirely of anger. Even if she lost it, the first time she finds it, it will always appear beside her again if she wants to. And her magic itself would be powerful enough to be immune to any magic that tries to stop her from feeling anger.
Here's another thing though. If she gets the rook, it doesn't turn her back into an alicorn. It is simply gives her back her alicorn powers. But this time, they will be fueled from rage.
The point is, one she has it, she would almost be omnipotent. I just pray she'll never find it. That portal hid it somewhere where nopony would know where it is. Not even me"

Cozy was driven with ambition. The gears in her head started turning. If she can drain all the magic from Equestria, then she would be able to find the rook easily, as it is the only Equestrian magic that wouldn't be drained. But she isn't really worried about finding the rook. She thought of an easier way to get power. Just as much as she had before.

She remembers how Twilight Sparkle turned into an alicorn. She remembers how powerful she looked. She has defeated so many villains and shot extremely powerful magic blasts. She became more successful and powerful over the years, and becoming an alicorn is no exception. But what was the source of all this power? Friendship. Twilight used friendship to become an alicorn, so if Cozy can harness that same power, than she could turn back into an alicorn as well!

"Yes, I just have to make more friends than anypony else, then I should be able to turn back into an alicorn like Twilight did!" Cozy thought. "And even better, I can get them to turn against Celestia. I can manipulate them to do what I want! And I will drain magic from Equestria for my revenge! I will drain magic from the one thing that Celestia loves and protects. It's so ironic! She drains magic from me and pretends to be nice, and I drain magic from Equestria while I pretend to be nice. It's perfect!"

She started walking home to draw out more details of her plan, but she stepped on a pamphlet and picked it up to read it. It read; "School of Friendship, Open Next Week!". She read thoroughly read through the pamphlet thrice, and a devious smirk appeared on her face.

"An opening for a school that teaches the most powerful thing in Equestria, huh?" Her red eyes gleamed mischievously. "Perfect."


Cozy was at near the end of the first semester of school, and it was quite easy so far. She had gained the trust of three other fillies, and she was now Twilight's friendship assistant. The lessons weren't very hard, as she had heard them multiple times when she watched Twilight and her friends for years. Rather pathetic if you asked her.

During winter and spring break, she stayed in her castle, and she sometimes visited there on weekends as well. But most of all, she goes there whenever she needs to send Tirek letters, and tonight was no exception.

It was nighttime, and Cozy was signing off her name at the bottom of the letter. She has been sending Tirek letters ever since the start of school semester, and when he first got her letter, he was puzzled at why a young filly would write to him. But she offered him something he couldn't refuse; in exchange for aiding her with instructions to drain magic and become his protege, Cozy offered to trap Twilight and her friends in Tartarus as part of her plan for Tirek to have his revenge against them. Tirek admires the young filly' skill and intellect, and he gladly accepted the offer. Ever since that, they became pen pals.

Cozy Glow set the quill down, folded up her letter, placed it in an envelope, and pressed it with a seal. She got up from her desk and looked up at the clock on the wall in her dorm room at the School of Friendship. Every pony should be asleep by now.

She pushed open the window and snuck out of the school, just like she's always done. She walked quietly until she reached the edge of the Everfree Forest, where she was completely out of sight and was able to fly without getting caught.

She eventually reached the castle, but she didn't enter. Instead, she flew all the way to the very top of the castle, where the long spire was. Just like she always did, she reached into her saddlebags and pulled out the letter. She held it a few inches above the tip of the spire. Instantly, the spire began to glow, then shot a beam of light into the sky, with the letter in the beam of light. A moment later, instead of the beam reaching the sky, it began to curve into a long trail that traveled through the sky, bringing the letter along with it. The beam would pass through the doors of Tartarus, and the letter would appear in front of Tirek's cage.

Before the trail traveled back into the spire after giving the letter to Tirek, it brought a different letter along with it. Cozy took the letter through the beam as the light subsided, and she automatically knew it was from him. Tirek could only send her letters if he was able to get his into the beam that reached Tartarus before it traveled back to the castle.

Cozy put the the letter in her saddlebag and was able to sneak back into her dorm room. She shut the window, and sat down at her desk. She pulled the letter out of her saddlebag and opened it up. Tirek wrote a few paragraphs of instructions, as usual, but what was different this time was a diagram he drew below the writing. It was a diagram of a magic circle that's supposed to be drawn in the ground, along with the six magical artifacts at Twilight's schools placed at the ends. Apparently, that was going to work as a mystical magnet that will attract all Equestrian magic within three days, then it will suck into a vortex and disappear forever.

A malicious smile grew on Cozy's face, and her scarlet eyes gleamed with determination. "Time for some sweet revenge." She said.