• Published 12th Apr 2020
  • 3,287 Views, 299 Comments

Youngblood - Centurion Pike-Wall



Sequel to The Broken and The Damned. Rainbow's sons spend a year in Ponyville as exchange students. How will the two of them react to a culture so alien to them, and the former friends of their mother?

  • ...
11
 299
 3,287

PreviousChapters Next
48~Welcome to Pryha

Author's Note:

Happy Easter, everyone!

June 5th, 3096 Imperial Calendar (1523 AD)
GRV Gaston, en route to Creui Harbor

Depressi looked over the side of the barge, watching as the skyline of his home grew closer and closer. After all this time away, it felt good to be back.

The trip from Equestria was as tedious as it had been when heading to Ponyville all those months ago. As direct transport arrangements between Equestria and Pryha were in deadlock, the only efficient means of getting between the two nations was through Griffonia. This meant a train ride to Manehattan, then an Airship to Griffonstone, followed by another train to a small port town opposite Creui across the Strait of Beccus. Finally, however, they were on a barge heading for the Pryhan side of the Strait.

"Woah", Southern Rose said, the big mare stepping up to the railing behind him. "It's... Ah know we've seen cities on this trip already, but..."

"She is magnificent, isn't she?", Depressi said. "The oldest city on the Peninsula, and history piled on after that. It's not Pryha, granted, but the history of the city is literally built on top of itself."

"Seriously, does everything you say have to be either super chill or poetic?", Pound Cake asked.

His twin punched his shoulder, saying, "Lay off."

As they talked, a Griffonian soldier came up to them. "Hey, I'd recommend you head back inside. Lieutenant is gonna go over what you need to do when we land."

+++++~+++++

An hour or so later, they had managed to get through the border checkpoint and exit out onto one of the streets that ran along the border of the bay. Even from where they stood, they could see hundreds of creatures heading two and fro, down the streets, in and out of the buildings, or over the buildings if they had wings. A half-dozen rickshaws lined one side of the checkpoint exit, their operators leaning lazily against them while holding signs advertising their fairs. Several stands offered food, jewelry, or other goods dotted the sidewalks, while street musicians sent a varied stream of often clashing music into the air. It was, in a word, chaos...

... And Depressi took a deep breath, a smile on his face.

"You remember where our Hotel is, right?", Twilight asked. "I'll tell the front desk to reserve some of the keys for you when you come back."

"Be back 'fore midnight", Big Mac said.

Mr. Cake said, "That goes for you as well, dears."

"Got it, mom", Pumpkin Cake said before turning to Depressi. "So, where's this friend you said would meet us here?"

"That would be me", a voice said to their left. Stepping out from behind one of the rickshaws was a young griffoness in a simple turquoise dress that clung to her lithe frame. A small amount of silver jewelry adorned her claws, neck, and wings, while basic makeup accentuated her already quite pretty features. As she stepped around the rickshaw, a large bighorn wearing a simple vest and trousers followed her. "Long time no see, Depressi."

"A pleasure as always, Gallia", Depressi returned, giving her a lazy salute. "Everyone, this is Gallia, the daughter of the former Governor."

"Charmed, darling", Rarity said, handling the last of her bags off to Thunderlane. She waddled up to Gallia, ignoring her husband's struggle to keep the luggage tower from crumbling. "I must say, you make that style of dress look quite nice."

"Gratias, Mulier", Gallia said. "It is always nice to meet someone who appreciates the simple pleasure in looking one's best."

Rarity smiled, before turning queasy and bringing a hoof to her mouth. "Apologies, dear. I'm afraid that the baby and water simply don't seem to agree."

"Of course. Don't worry yourself-Or you, Domine, for that matter", she said, gesturing to the bighorn. "This is Bruno. He owes me a favor, and I cashed it in. He'll help take your luggage to your hotel, and Depressi's up to the fort."

"That is quite nice of you", Fluttershy said, earning a nod from Bruno.

As the adults and foals began loading up their luggage, Gallia turned to Depressi and the others. "Depressi has informed me that you are interested in a proper Creuian afternoon, no?"

"Sounds about right", Maraschino said. "Whatever that would entail."

"Well, Depressi arranged for another of our... mutual friends to help out with that", Gallia said, gesturing with a claw. "Come. We can have proper introductions on our way to the civilian pier."

++++~+++++

Depressi and Gallia lead the group of Equestrians along the street bordering the waterfront, exchanging words with them occasionally. The two of them weaved and ducked around those walking in the opposite direction as only those used to the traffic of a city could, though had enough sense to slow down for the others. Besides, it would allow the others to take in the city more as they did so.

While a large section of the city had been rebuilt following the Pryhan re-conquest, a large amount of the buildings along the waterfront were undamaged and retained the old style. Wide, sloping roofs and uncovered tan brick formed the building's frames, with colorful murals or colorful cloth drapes or awnings granting each building a unique flair. Hundreds of creatures of different types and wearing different clothing moved around on the walkways while carts, Land-Skiffs, and a few other motorized vehicles moved along the streets like the ripples in a great river.

Soon, the smell of the sea grew even stronger as they walked off the stone pathway and onto a thick wooden pier. It extended at least a quarter-mile off the shore into the ocean, with a crisscrossing network of wooden platforms, small booths or buildings, and moored boats. There were fewer creatures present, most working around the boats while others were buying things from the booths or simply fishing off the side of the pier.

"Alright. Here we are", Gallia said. "The boat should be just down-"

"Well well well", a voice cut in, drawing all eyes to one of the booths they were passing. Several bits of fish and other aquatic creatures sat on ice in front of the counter, while a brass register and scale sat on the counter. The source of the voice was revealed when the door next to the rack opened, and out stepped... a green filly with messy black hair, picking at her teeth with a large knife. She wore a wrinkled old tunic, her cutie mark of a pair of shark jaws and a harpoon being barely visible. "Look who came crawling back."

Depressi sighed, saying, "Ah. Of course. What is it you want?"

"Oh, I think you know", she said, walking up to him, lazily swinging the knife back and forth between her hooves.

"Depressi", Flurry asked, an eye on the green filly. "Why does the filly have a knife? And why is she threatening you?"

"I'm twenty-one, you winged twat", the filly said, making Flurry go rigid, either in alarm or anger. "Now, as for you-"

"What did you expect?", Depressi said.

The filly said, "Maybe something better than a two-week warning." By this time, the two of them were nearly face to face. Well, as close as they could be, with the filly only reaching around Depressi's neck in height. Flurry Heart stepped forward, but was stopped by Gallia.

"Don't", she whispered to the Crystal Princess, making her stop and look at the griffoness.

Depressi and the filly kept staring, eyes barely moving from one another. They continued their stare-off, the fillies face contorted in mild anger while Depressi kept a mask of impassiveness on his face. It was broken when the filly dropped her look, laughing like a madpony. To the surprise of all in the group save Gallia, Depressi began to laugh along with her.

"Is this really the best 'welcome back' you could come up with, Harpoon?", he asked.

Harpoon merely grinned, a few giggles still escaping her. "Just shut up, 'Ressi." She stood up on her hind legs, wrapping her forelegs around Depressi's neck. Depressi, in turn, leaned in, bringing the two of them into a passionate kiss.

PreviousChapters Next