• Published 12th Apr 2020
  • 3,256 Views, 299 Comments

Youngblood - Centurion Pike-Wall



Sequel to The Broken and The Damned. Rainbow's sons spend a year in Ponyville as exchange students. How will the two of them react to a culture so alien to them, and the former friends of their mother?

  • ...
11
 299
 3,256

PreviousChapters Next
39~Snapped

April 22st, 3096 Imperial Calendar (1523 AD)
Ponyville Regional Junior University

Flurry Heart trotted up the stairs at the front of the school, adjusting the collar as she did so. At the top, she walked through the front door, entering into the central courtyard of the school. This early in the morning, there weren't that many other students around, with those that were present either living close by or were getting some extra work in before class started. Fortunately, she wasn't a complete idiot, and so she fell into the former category.

She unslung her saddlebags and sat down on one of the benches. She stretched her wings out, laying them over the slightly wet surface of the wood. The cool air flowed through her feathers, ruffling them and blowing them over one another. They would be a pain to fix up later on, but that was the future Flurry Heart's problem. At the moment, it just felt nice.

As she sat, she would see others begin to enter the central court, coming in through either the main entrance or a few of the side entrances around the perimeter. A few also came out of classrooms, their early morning tutoring done and having a bit of time to kill before their first classes started.

Flurry leaned her head back up as the clomp of hooves grew louder. She saw Soundboard come up to her, asking, "Yo, Princess. Mind movin' the wings?"

Flurry gave a lazy grunt, bringing one of her wings in while shifting to the side a bit. "Morning."

"Good morning to you too, Ms. Lazy", Soundboard said, sitting down. "You look awfully chill for somepony who has a test in Pryhan later."

"It's Pryhan", Flurry said. "A language I already understand pretty well. Plus, it's just nouns and verbs. It's not like the whole grammar thing is being thrown at us at once."

"Fair enough, I guess", Soundboard said, pulling out a worksheet and going over the poorly scribbled wording. "Seriously though, how did they end up with such a Complex language?"

"It is a hybrid language. Kinda makes sense, given that", Flurry said, shrugging.

Soundboard said, "Yeah, yeah."

As she crammed for the test, Flurry looked up and scanned the growing crowds. As she did so, she spotted DJ and Depressi standing by one of the planted trees. She stood up, slinging her saddlebags back on and heading over to say hello. As she got closer, though, she slowed, the words of their conversation filtering over to her.

"What do you mean you can't find them?", Depressi asked, an unusual tone to his voice. It was slightly panicked, Flurry realized, a stark contrast from his usual cheerful calmness.

DJ said, equally as panicked, "I mean, it's not in my bag. It wasn't in my room, it wasn't in the bathroom. I don't know where they could be. I think I dropped them at the campsite."

"Well then go to the office and get a pass", Depressi said. "I'm sure that Headmistress Twilight will understand. She knows about your... condition."

DJ nodded, giving a harsh intake of breath. "Right. See you later."

Depressi returned the nod, the two of them splitting off and heading in opposite directions. Depressi went for his first period, linking up with Southern Rose and maraschino as he went. DJ, meanwhile, went for the main office, pushing aside a few other students as he went.

Flurry watched as he went, her head tilting to one side of its own accord. Her Pryhan, while good, wasn't perfect, and so she had a hard time with certain words. Though, she was certain that Depressi had said something about a condition. Was DJ sick? He hadn't looked sick, nor was he coughing or sneezing or anything like that for months. Curiosity, as well as concern, spurred her on as she followed after him.

She pushed open the office door, stepping around a teacher leaving with a stack of papers. The office itself was rather small, with a desk off to the side acting as a reception desk, as well as a few chairs and a magazine rack for students waiting to meet the counselors or administrators. The pony behind the desk was reading a book, looking up when the door shut. "Oh, hello Princess. Do you need anything?"

"No, uh", Flurry began, stopping when she saw DJ.

He was standing by one of the doors, watching it intently. As he did so, it opened, revealing Twilight Sparkle and High Society. As the two walked out, the wheelchair-bound unicorn asked, "So. Do you understand, Ms.-Oh, DJ. Do you need something?"

"May I be excused from first period?", he asked quickly, his good eye shifting suspiciously over to High Society.

Twilight cocked her head. "Why?"

"It, uh...", DJ said. "It has to do with my... my medicine."

"Oh", Twilight said, suddenly somewhat pale. "Oh. What happened?"

"I don't know", DJ said. "I think I dropped them when camping with the others this weekend."

"Hmph", High Society said to herself, smirking slightly.

With that, all hell broke loose.

It moved almost faster than Flurry could process, DJ's beak twisted into a vicious snarl. One paw flew to the nearby chair, wrapping his digits around the wooden rests. It was torn from the floor with a loud creak, before sailing through the air towards the arrogant mare. She ducked, causing it to sail over her head and shatter against the wall. DJ barked, "OH, SHUT THE FUCK UP!!" He surged towards High Society, only to be stopped by Twilights magic aura.

"DJ, calm down!", Twilight commanded. Perhaps it was the panic in Twilights voice, or maybe DJ was simply too consumed in his rage, but her words fell on deaf ears.

Instead, DJ began to yell, his paws scraping uselessly against the carpet in an attempt to move forward. "YOU HAVE NO FUCKING RIGHT TO COMMENT ON ANYTHING, DO YOU UNDERSTAND!!? YOU'RE NOT BETTER THAN ME, NOT BY ANY GODS-DAMNED METRIC. YOU'RE A USELESS PARASITE, SCRAPING BY OFF OF LUXURY YOU DIDN'T EARN WHILE PRETENDING TO BE HOT SHIT!! YOU'RE NOTHING BUT A WASTE OF THE SCULPTORS CREATIVITY AND RESOURCES, DOING NOTHING TO HELP ANYONE! ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION!!? ARE YOU!!? JUST FUCK OFF AND STOP BEING A FUCKING DISGRACE TO ALL OTHER SENTIENT LIFE, EH!!?"

DJ's screaming came to a stop, leaving him floating a few inches off the ground, panting like he had just run a marathon. He froze, looking like he had just seen a ghost, before looking down at his paw. Flurry followed his gaze, seeing it twitching and quivering as if he were cold. He looked up, his frozen shock remaining as he took in the panic-stricken faces of Twilight and High Society.

With that, he broke. He looked back down, his eyes clenching shut. Twilights magic dissipated, allowing him to collapse to the ground. He shuddered all over, muttering something that Flurry could only barely make out: "Not like him. Not like him. Not like him."

Twilight looked down at DJ, breathing heavily herself. She reached out a hoof, before stopping herself and lowering it. "You're excused. Take the whole day off. Come back tomorrow and meet me in my office before school."

DJ nodded, standing up and half-running for the door. Flurry only got a brief look at his face, though that was enough to see the tears running down his face. As soon as he brushed past her and was out the door, he broke into a dead sprint, running as fast as he could around the crowd of students heading for their classes and out the front entrance.

PreviousChapters Next