• Published 10th Feb 2020
  • 2,943 Views, 79 Comments

Fixing a Broken Man - TheHardie-Boy



After a freak accident, a hollow human finds himself in the loving land of Equestria

  • ...
7
 79
 2,943

The hospital

I woke up to an obnoxious beeping noise. I opened my eyes, but quickly squinted at the bright lights. Once my eyes adjusted, I saw and felt my arm hooked up to an IV stand. The beeping noise I had heard earlier turned out to be a hart monitor, and it was beeping steadily.

I also had a killer headache. The last thing I remembered was helping that little girl out of the building...and being knocked unconscious by a two-by-four.

I tried to lean up a little, but I felt a pair of hands stop me instantly. I looked around a little more, and saw it was a nurse.

“Please don’t try to move too much, Mr. Taylor. You’ve suffered a major concussion,” she explained.

“W-What happened? The little girl! Is she okay?!” I frantically asked.

“She’s fine. After you helped her out, you were knocked out by a falling board,” she replied.

’No way, really?’

“You’re lucky you didn’t get burned any more than you did. It was a large fire that caused the building to collapse, and it had reached the lobby just after you were knocked out. The fireman got you out before you were hurt by the fire,” she added.

“A-A fire?” I couldn’t help but ask, getting flashbacks to...the incident.

“Yes...is everything alright, Mr. Taylor?” the nurse asked me.

“U-Umm, when will I be able to get up and walk around again?” I asked.

The nurse got up and looked at a nearby clipboard. “Well, the doctors want to run some tests to make sure your brain is in good condition, but after that, you’re free to go.”

Great, just a little while longer, and I’ll be able to go back to my life. Wonder if I can get compensated for my apartment and get wasted, just like all the other rejects.

“I’ll go inform the doctor that you’re awake. Please don’t try to get up on your own,” the nurse instructed me.

I let out a yawn. “Sounds good, doc.”

Once the nurse left the room, I adjusted myself a little bit to get more comfortable. Thinking about the situation, however, there was one thing that still didn’t make sense. After I had gotten the little girl to safety and went for her doll, I swear I saw a white light before I was knocked out. Like, it was the world flashed before my eyes before suddenly turning pitch black.

I wouldn’t have much time to think about that, though, since I suddenly felt myself convulse and my head pulse. I heard the heart monitor start to speed up as my insides felt like they were being compressed. I tried to yell for help, but the words got caught in my throat as it closed up, keeping me from breathing.

As I looked at the heart monitor, I realized that this was it, the end of the line for me.

’I’m coming, Mom and Dad’

My body felt like it was filling up with something and that it would burst at any second. The doctors finally rushed into the room, but it wouldn’t make a difference, not that I cared at that point. My existence wasn’t important, and it wasn’t like anyone would attend my funeral, if there even was one.

I closed my eyes and forced a bit of a smile as the doctors tried to hold me still.

“Get the defibrillator!” I heard someone yell.

Don’t know why, but I’ve always wanted to feel one of those.

“Two hundred watts, clear!” the person with the defibrillator yelled before I felt a huge surge of electricity shoot through me. It stung at first, but admittedly felt a little good. Regardless, it didn’t do a thing to change your current physical state

“Three hundred watts, clear!”

An even larger surge shot through me, and once again, it did nothing. At this point, I could see a white light and was all too eager to move toward it.

“Three fifty, clear!”

This time, instead of one last burst of energy before I made my way into the light, I was suddenly engulfed in another, different light. It had felt as if my body had exploded entirely before I suddenly felt nothing. No more pain, no more convulsions, nothing.

I still couldn’t breathe, but I didn’t feel like I needed to. I looked down at myself and saw...nothing. My body was gone. I couldn’t see anything other than light, and felt a little warm, despite not having a body of some sort. Regardless, I liked the feeling.

It felt like an eternity before anything happened, but even once it did, I wanted to go back to the light.

I was on my back, in the middle of what felt like a field. I looked around and saw that I wasn’t in a field, rather a forest, still unlike anything I’d ever seen. The trees had more life, more color to them, leaves, branches, trunk, roots, you name it. The trees looked young and healthy. A few birds flew by in the air, but there was something a little off about them. Two squirrels ran by as well and had the same differences about them.

They were smaller and a bit more...round, as if a child had imagined them. Their eyes were also a lot more accentuated, glowing almost.

Regardless, the forest seemed at peace, as if completely untouched by mankind.

I looked at myself and saw I was wearing a brown jacket, a beige shirt, and dark brown pants. Out of instinct, I checked my jacket pockets, finding nothing, but finding a wallet in my back pocket.

The wallet was devoid of any currency, but had three pictures of...my parents, one of my mom, one of my dad, and one of both. Why I had them was beyond me, but I stuffed them back into the wallet and stuffed the wallet back into my back pocket. Might as well have something to remember them by, other than the memories themselves.

But wait...where did those pictures come from? And how did I end up with them?

I pulled them back out and examined them a little more, not recognizing anything about them. I sure as hell hadn’t taken them, and I didn’t remember them getting salvaged from our old house.

Deciding it was useless, I put them away again and fell down onto the soft grass, slowly letting my eyes close.


When I awoke again, I saw the sun was near setting. I sat up and heard rustling in the nearby bushes. My attention darted to the bushes and fixated on them. As I looked closer at them, I could just make out a pair of purple eyes staring at me.

I was being watched.

“Who’s there?” I asked aloud.

Instead of a clear response, all I heard was a gasp.

I stood up, ready to face whoever was spying on me. “If you can gasp, you can talk.”

“W-What are you?” asked a feminine voice that made me drop my guard.

“What do you mean, ‘what am I’? I’m a man, for God’s sake!” I shouted, growing impatient. “What are you supposed to be then?”

The bushes rustled a little more as a purple horn poked out the top. I thought I was hallucinating as a lavender unicorn with the same eyes that were watching me and a dark purple mane with a light pink streak running through it emerged from the bushes.

“I’m a unicorn, of course,” she replied, adding to my shock.

“N-No,” I whispered, mostly to myself.

“A-Are you okay?” she asked.

“No, you’re not...y-you’re n-not...” I stuttered.

“I’m not what?”

I shook my head and rubbed my eyes, trying to get the picture of a talking unicorn out of my sight, but to no luck; she was still there.

“You’re not...you’re not real! Unicorns aren’t real!” I said, turning and running away.

“Wait! What’s wrong? What do you mean, ‘unicorns aren’t real’? Wait!” she yelled behind me.

I ignored her as I kept running the opposite direction. “Unicorns aren’t real, unicorns aren’t real,” I kept muttering to myself, trying to convince myself I wasn’t crazy.

“Watch out for the ravine!”

Before her words registered, I tripped over something and took a huge fall. My body bounced against the ground like a tennis ball, rolling over and over myself. Eventually, I reached the bottom of the ravine, my head leaning on a rock.

The last thing I saw before blacking out again with the same unicorn rushing toward me with a look of worry.

Author's Note:

So Jake’s officially in Equestria. What’d y’all think of his first impression of Twilight?

Every comment, whether it be praise or criticism, helps. So please, leave on. Please...just leave a comment.

Also, I don’t wanna wait an entire week, so I’ll just update every four to five days. Does that sound good?