• Published 26th Aug 2019
  • 632 Views, 37 Comments

Stroke of Luck - Gboyd



One fight among siblings could begin new life and forge a friendship unlike any other, or destroy the world. Time for that flower to bloom. Let's wait and see, shall we?

  • ...
3
 37
 632

Chapter 8: Rumors

'The biggest lie in the world is 'They Say.' A Lie can around the world before the Truth got it's boots on.'
- Terry Pratchett

She shut the Boss's office door with a quiet click, mentally pleading for her pure excitement and euphoria to stay calm until she could get out of the building.

She had gotten a promotion. She, Blotched Ink, of the Canterlot Daily Times newspaper, and four-year repeat award of being the worst reporter Canterlot supposedly has to offer (hence the name), had gotten a promotion. An upgrade.

She wanted scream and shout and sing and squeeze her trusty pen until she passed out from pure joy.

How? Well, my friend, t'was quite simple.

A week ago, a young woman walked into parlor of the company building where, to Blotched Ink's luck, she was working. She claimed to have the biggest story Canterlot had ever seen, and insisted that the entire nation would soon go hog-wild over.

At first, naturally, Ink had rolled her eyes. For as long as she had worked at Canterlot Daily Times Company, or CDTC, every five-year-old kid would walk in and use the same genaric, cliche line, then tell some story about how his cat got stuck in a tree.

But when the young woman said that Princess Twilight was involved, she immediately gained Ink's undivided attention. As everyone knew, the Princess of Friendship was quite popular, and every fan knew every word of how she had saved Equestira over a dozen times over the years; Ink being one of those fans. But other than her popular known background, such as being Princess Celestia's pupil, the Bearer to the Element of Magic, the Princess of Friendship--just to name a few, Twilight Sparkle lived what some might call a secret life. Because, unlike Princess Celestia, Luna, and Princess Cadence, Twilight Sparkle didn't have fans following her every minute of the day. Of course, the fact that she lived in some backwater town like Ponyville might help.

According to the woman, she had been in Ponyville visiting family and friends when she happened to over hear a rather heated argument between the princess and some commerners. The young woman had traveled to closer to the group to hear, and witnessed an argument take place. While she couldn't quite hear what the commeners were saying, it was clear that they were abusing and accusing the princess of something. Then, "the princess raced over me, in tears!" the woman said, clearly bothered about it. Ink had been shocked, to say the least. But the story was out, and soon the whole world would know.

Blotched Ink continued on down the street, still lost in her self-victory. Oh, to be the life of a reporter. It was why she chose this profession. You discovered certain things about certain people and revealed the truth to the world. Sure, it wasn't the best life, and people's livelihoods would become ruined, but life isn't all rainbows, flowers, and sunshine now is it?

***

Twilight scanned the scroll for a few more moments, not really taking in what was written down. She just couldn't concentrate. She slouched with a groan, the scroll slipping off her desk onto the floor.

Fear continued churn within her stomach, and she rubbed her forehead. What could possibly be causing this? It wasn't a friendship problem, she knew that for sure. In fact, she had checked her cutie mark so many times it had been rubbed raw.

She sighed, and bent reluncantly to pick up the fallen scroll. Before she could make another move, a surprised scream caught her attention. She jerked, and the scroll plunged to the ground.

Twilight leapt into the air and rocketed towards her office door. She pelted through the doors and raced down the halls towards the sound.

A series of crashes and bangs startled her again, and she rounded the corner, nearly crashing into a pile of boxes.

"Woah!" Twilight screeched to a halt, and the cardbourd pile responded with a dazed groan. Spotting a familiar gray wings and mail carrier's hat, Twilight relaxes. She skirted the boxes, picking the hat which had fallen during the crash.

"Derpy?" Twilight levitated boxes aside and lifted a dazed Pegasus from the pile. "Are you alright?"

Raspberry aura surrounded Derpy's torso, straightening out her wrinked uniform and smoothing her hair. Twilight gently placed on the ground. Derpy blinked, and shook her head. Her crossed eyes suddenly filled with panic, and she grabbed Twilight's startled shoulders.

"Twilight! I came to warn you! The press is..." She balked for a moment, blinking. "Wha... What was I supposed to...?" There was a pause. "Oh yeah! The press...!" Derpy released Twilight's shoulders and began to dig through her carrier bag."Let me just...."

Sticking out her toungue in concentration, Derpy reached deeper, drawing out a thick copy of Canterlot Daily Times. "Look!" She practically threw the packet at Twilight.

With one last cautious glance at Derpy, Twilight ripped the plastic off and took a look at the front page.

"PRINCESS TWILIGHT CAUGHT IN BRAWL--LEAVES IN TEARS!"

The only question the public is asking: 'Are these indaviduals friend or foe?'

Twilight gazed at the print with a silent air. Her amythist eyes were wide. Anger and fear boiled in her stomach, and she could feel her aura start to surrpind her hands. "How....?"

Derpy wrung her hands in a panic. "What do we do!?"

Twilight didn't respond. She slowly lifted her head to look at the Pegasus, amythist orbs smoldering with rage. The papaer burst into angry flames.

Derpy backed up. Twilight watched, with mild interest as the flames destroyed the treacherous print and turned it to ashes at her feet. She looked away and drew in a deep, shuddering breath. She knew she was scaring Derpy.

"Derpy?" She began quietly, elicitng a squeak from the frightened Pegasus. Twilight winced. Still, she persisted."How did you get a hold of this?"

"W-well, there's a stand in the p-post office, and I was assigned--"

Twilight cut her off with an icy glare. "If it's available to the public, then there is nothing we can do." She paused, and turned to face the window. Better that than let her friend be scared of her. Derpy froze, chilled by Twilight next words.

"I'm going to find out who did this," she whispered. "And when I do, they will wish they had never been born."