• Published 22nd Oct 2019
  • 2,981 Views, 71 Comments

A Happy Family - ShowShine



Years after Spike finds a changeling egg, he starts a family

  • ...
3
 71
 2,981

The Big Question

Spike sat at the kitchen table, staring at a small box in his hand. On the table, there were crumpled up pieces of paper. He opened the box, revealing a ring. The ring was silver with a turquoise in the middle. He let out a sigh and placed the box down on the table.

“Why can’t I find the right words?” Spike asked himself, looking at the piece of paper in front of him. It was past midnight and he couldn’t seem to concentrate. He loud out a groan and rubbed his eyes. He had been dating Gabby for seven years and they already have two kids with one on the way. It was time he took things to the next level.

“What are you doing?” A voice asked, coming from next to Spike. He jumped in surprise and turned around to see Scramble standing there.

“Why are you awake?” Spike asked. Scramble rubbed her eyes and let out a yawn.

“I’m thirsty.” She explained, walking over to the fridge. She pulled out a water bottle and opened it, taking a sip from it. “Why are you awake?” Scramble asked, closing the bottle.

“I’m trying to write a letter to your mother.” Spike explained. Scramble walked over to her father and leaned her head on his leg.

“Why are you writing a letter?” Scramble asked. Spike blushed a bit.

“I want to tell her how much I love her. I want to marry her.” Spike admitted. Scramble let out a loud gasp and Spike quickly covered her mouth.

“Shush, everyone is asleep.” He said. Scramble let out a soft squeal of excitement.

“You’re going to ask Mommy to marry you?” Scramble asked in disbelief. Spike nodded his head, his face turning darker. “When are you going to do it?” She asked.

“I’ve been trying for a week but I’ve been getting too nervous.” Spike explained. He looked at Scramble, who looked back at him excitedly.

“You can’t tell anyone what I’m going to do, it’s a surprise.” Spike stated booping Scramble on the nose. She saluted and mimicked zipping her lips closed.

“I won’t say a word.” Scramble said.

“Now you need to go to sleep, it’s late.” Spike stated, picking Scramble up.

“Well you need to sleep too, it’s past your bedtime.” Scramble stated with a huff. Spike chuckled, putting his daughter down.

“You’re right, it is past my bedtime.” Spike stated, picking up some crumbled pieces of paper. He tossed them into the trash. He picked up the ring box and stared at it. He needed to propose in the perfect way.


Gabby stood in front of the stove, making eggs and grits. Scramble and Cecilia sat at the kitchen table, waiting for breakfast.

“Where’s Dad?” Cecilia asked, looking around.

“He’s still asleep, he said something about being up all night.” Gabby commented.

“I know why he was up all night, he was-“ Scramble started, but quickly covered it, not wanting to spoil the surprise.

“What was he doing?” Gabby asked. Scramble eyes darted around and she started to sweat a bit. She quickly stood up, slamming her hooves on the table.

“I’M GONNA GO PEE!” Scramble shouted. She pushed her chair back and ran out of the kitchen. She made a sharp right turn and ran upstairs, fluttering her wings a bit. She made her way to the top step and ran down the hallway. She finally made her way to her parent's bedroom door and quickly opened it. She shut the door behind her and jumped onto the queen-sized bed.

“Daddy wake up.” Scramble whispered, shaking her father a bit. Spike jolted awake and looked at Scramble. He held his egg in his arms, cuddling it.

“I almost told Mommy the secret.” Scramble said. Spike quickly sat up, rubbing his eyes.

“It’s okay raspberry, you tried your best.” Spike stated. Scramble frowned feeling disappointed in herself.

“I’m sorry that I’m not good at keeping secrets.” Scramble said sadly. Spike gave a sympathetic smile and hugged Scramble.

“It’s okay. Besides, I found out a perfect way to propose.” Spike stated. Scramble started to beam happily.

“Can I help?!” Scramble asked. Spike nodded his head.

“When your mother leaves for work, me, you, and Cecilia are going to go out and buy some stuff so we can set up.” Spike explained. Scramble let out an excited gasp.

“I get to see you propose?” Scramble asked. Spike shook his head.

“No, but you and Cecilia are going to spend the night with aunt Twilight. A carriage is going to come to pick you two up at three.” He said. Scramble excitedly clapped her hooves.

“I’m so excited!” Scramble exclaimed. Spike chuckled. He was excited too.


Spike, Cecilia, and Scramble walked around the market place. Spike held a bag filled with scented candles and streamers. He handed a few bits to Scramble.

“Can you go to the flower stand and get a bouquet of lilies? We’ll be at the vegetable stand.” Spike stated. Scramble nodded her head and ran off. Spike held Cecilia's hand, walking over to the vegetable stand.

“Hello sir, how may I help you?” A stallion asked in a chipper tone. Spike grabbed some two tomatoes, three onions, two zucchini’s, spinach, and green beans, placing them on the counter.

“I‘ll take these,” Spike said. The stallion put the vegetables in bags.

“That’ll be fifteen bits.” The stallion said. Spike handed the stallion the bits and picked up the bags. Scramble ran over to her father, holding a bouquet of pink and white lilies.

“I got the lilies!” Scramble exclaimed, holding the lilies up to her father. They were wrapped up nicely in a red bow. Spike took them from her and placed them in the bag with the vegetables.

“Let’s go home and start setting up.” Spike said, handing Scramble and Cecilia a bag. This was going to be the best night ever.


“Spike, kids, I’m home!” Gabby exclaimed, walking into the house. She gave a look of surprise when she heard romantic music and saw rose petals scattered on the floor, making a trail.

“What’s going on?” Gabby asked with a chuckle. She hung up her saddlebag on the coat rack and followed the trail which led to the kitchen. She sniffed the air, making her stomach growl. It smelled like lasagna. She walked into the kitchen to see Spike holding a bouquet of lilies. On the kitchen walls, there were red heart-shaped streamers. The table had a red table cloth and a large lit candle on the middle of the table.

“Hi my love, these are for you.” Spike said with a grin, handing her the flowers. Gabby chuckled.

“What’s all of this?” Gabby asked. Spike walked over to her and kissed her on the hand.

“I’m giving a perfect night to my favorite lady.” Spike stated. A large blush appeared on Gabby’s face.

“Where are the kids?” She asked.

“They’re spending the night with Twilight, they’ll be back in the morning.” Spike explained, giving Gabby on the cheek.

“Is that lasagna I smell?” Gabby asked. Spike nodded his head.

“It just got out of the oven so it’s still cooling down.” Spike said. “Now I have a big surprise for you.” He did excitedly. Gabby tilted her head.

“What is it?” Gabby asked, now very intrigued. Spike cleared his throat.

“Gabby, we’ve been together for seven wonderful years and you helped me raise Scramble into the wonderful kid she is.” Spike started, reaching behind him on the counter and grabbing the ring box. “I want to start a full life with you. So Gabby, will you marry me?” Spike asked, getting on one knee and revealing the ring. Gabby let out a gasp, dropping the flowers on the ground. Happy tears dripped down her cheeks.

“Yes yes yes!” Gabby exclaimed, jumping into his arms. Spike hugged her tightly, grinning widely. This is the perfect night.