• Published 22nd Oct 2019
  • 2,974 Views, 71 Comments

A Happy Family - ShowShine



Years after Spike finds a changeling egg, he starts a family

  • ...
3
 71
 2,974

A New Beginning

Author's Note:

If you haven’t read Fatherly Instincts, I recommend you read that first

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/422147/fatherly-instincts

“Mommy, Daddy, wake up!” A small voice exclaimed happily. Spike stirred awake to see a small yellow and orange changeling jumping on the bed. She had small purple wings on her back and small purple horns starting to sprout from her head. She had a large grin on her face.

“Okay okay, I’m up.” Spike said, sitting up sleepily. He rubbed his eyes and let out a yawn. He looked at his daughter before chuckling at her excitement.

“Are you excited for today Scramble?” Spike asked. Scramble nodded her head happily. Spike stood up from his shared bed and stretched, cracking his back.

“Don’t do that.” Gabby muttered sleepily from her side of the bed. Spike smiled sheepishly.

“Sorry honey, I’ll break all of my bones in a different room.” Spike said as he kissed his girlfriend on the cheek. He reached over to the night table and picked up his medal, placing it on his neck. It was golden and shaped like a shield. He picked Scramble up and walked out of the room, shutting the door behind him. Spike placed Scramble on the floor and put his hands on his hips.

“What do you want for breakfast?” Spike asked. Scramble thought for a moment, letting out a hum.

“Pancakes!” Scramble answered with a grin. Spike smiled at his seven year old daughter and walked down the hallway, making his way to the kitchen. Spike had moved out of the castle about two years after Twilight moved back to Canterlot. He lived in a small five bedroom house on the outskirts of Ponyville. He had become the Friendship Ambassador of all Creatures after Twilight had given him a medal and appointed him Friendship Ambassador.

He and Gabby were both twenty years old and were raising there kid, Scramble. Spike was noticeably taller and gaining some muscle. Gabby looked the same, just a few inches taller and her feathers were fluffier. Spike entered the kitchen and Scramble quickly sat down in her seat.

“Child, play my music,” Spike said in a silly voice. Scramble giggled and turned on a record player that sat on the far end on the kitchen counter. Cheery music started to play and Spike tapped his foot to the beat. Scramble bounced in her seat as she watched her father's cooking process. Spike reached into the cabinet above the stove and pulled out a bag of flour and sugar. They did this almost every morning; it was a fun little routine. Spike turned on the coffee maker, making it beep.

“I can’t wait to go to work with you! I get to see Kirin and Diamond Dogs fight!” Scramble said excitedly, still bouncing to the beat of the music. Spike shook his head.

“The whole point of doing this is so they don’t fight. We want peace everywhere.” Spike explained as he poured the pancake batter into the pan.

“When I’m queen, everyone is gonna fight everything!” Scramble said, throwing her hooves into the air.

“You’d get overthrown very quickly if you did that,” Spike said as he flipped the pancakes. Scrambled ears flattened and she crossed her arms.

“Well, then I’ll be a fake nice queen.” Scramble stated. Spike chuckled and put two pancakes on a plate.

“You do that.” Spike said as he handed her the plate of pancakes. Scramble picked up the strawberry syrup and drowned her pancakes in it. Gabby walked into the kitchen, looking very tired. Her feathers were ruffled and she let out a yawn.

“Good morning Gabby.” Spike greeted as he handed her a cup of coffee. Gabby took a long sip and sat down next to Scramble. Spike placed two plates of pancakes onto the table and sat down next to Gabby.

“I can’t wait to spend time with you Daddy, I get to see all of the hard work you do to make Equestria a better place!” Scramble said happily. Spike chuckled and took a bite of his pancake. Gabby smiled and looked at her boyfriend. He didn’t realize this, but she adored him. They both looked at Scramble when the heard her chewing very quickly, stuffing pancakes into her mouth.

“Slow down Scramble, you’ll choke.” Spike stated. Scramble looked up at him with a mouth full of food.

“I wanna hurry up so we can gooo.” She whined out, swallowing her food. Spike chuckled and slid his pancakes down his throat with ease.

“Okay let’s go.” Spike said, standing up from his seat. Scramble excitedly hopped out of her seat and flew upstairs, going to get her backpack.

“Be careful.” Gabby said, hugging Spike tightly. He hugged his girlfriend back.

“We will, we’ll be back by tonight.” Spike reassured. Gabby smiled and looked up at him. Spike leaned in and gave her a quick kiss on the lips.

“Eeeeww.” A small voice said. They both turned around to see Scramble, who had a disgusted look on her face. Spike chuckled and picked her up.

“Are you ready to go?” He asked. Scramble happily nodded her head. Spike gave Gabby another kiss on the cheek.

“I’ll see you later honey.” Spike said as he walked towards the front door.

“Bye Mommy!” Scramble shouted, waving her hoof. Gabby smiled and waved back.

“Bye you two, have fun.” She said. Spike smiled and walked out of the front door, ready to start his day.


Spike and Scramble walked through a town filled with Kirin, Dragons, and Diamond Dogs. It was very large and crowded.

“What are we going to do?” Scramble asked excitedly.

“Well I got called to a certain address so I guess we’ll go there first.” Spike explained. Scramble nodded her head and hopped after her father. Spike looked down at a piece of paper to see the address written down. He looked around to see a street sign. He wasn’t too far from there. He wandered around the streets, occasionally looking behind him to see if Scramble was still following him. She looked up at her father, marching after him. After several minutes of walking, Spike approached a house. It was very small and Spike could hear talking from the backyard. He rang on the doorbell and the door quickly swung open revealing Autumn Blaze.

“Oh thank Twilight you’re here, we have an issue.” She said with a very nervous look. Spike and Scramble glanced at each other.

“What’s the problem?” Spike asked. Autumn Blaze gestured for Spike and Scramble to come in.

“So lately someone’s been going through some Kirins trash and leaving it around everywhere. Then break-ins started to happen and stuff like food and blankets were being stolen. They started to blame the Diamond Dogs and now they’re fighting.” She explained. Spike frowned. That wasn’t good at all. They wanted the backyard to see Kirin on one side and Diamond Dogs on the other. They were all arguing very loudly.

“We didn’t steal anything from you, we haven’t even been near you!” One diamond dog shouted.

“It had to be you, all of the dragons in the town are too big to go unnoticed!” A kirin retorted. The diamond dog let out an angry growl and the kirin turned into a Nirik, letting out a hiss. Spike stood between the groups.

“I need you all to calm down, I know we can talk this out.” Spike said. The groups ignored him and continued to shout over each other. Scrambled ears perked up when she heard the sound of a trash can hitting the ground. She turned around to see a figure digging through the trash. She let out a gasp.

“That’s the bad guy.” She whispered to herself. She looked around to see that no one was looking at her. She closed her eyes and teleported herself towards the trash can. When she appeared next to the trash can, she could see a yellow tail poking out.

“Stop thief!” Scramble exclaimed, trying to sound intimidating. A diamond dog stumbled out, looking very frightened. She looked to be a little younger than Scramble and she was skinny to the point where you could see her ribs. Her yellow fur was matted down and she looked tired.

“I’m sorry, please don’t hit me!” She shouted, shielding herself. Scramble let her horn go brightly as if she were going to attack.

“Why are you stealing?!” Scramble shouted. The diamond dog looked at her with large brown eyes before sobbing loudly. Scramble let out a gasp and hugged her out of instinct.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you.” Scramble apologized. The diamond dog cried into her chest, starting to sniffle. Scramble wiped the tears from her cheeks, just like her parents would do to her.

“What's your name?” Scramble asked. The diamond dog sniffled.

“Cecilia.” She answered.

“I’m Scramble.” Scramble introduced. Cecilia pulled away from the hug, looking very guilty.

“I’m sorry for stealing things, I just wanna be warm and I wanna have food,” Cecilia admitted. Scramble tilted her head.

“Don’t your mommy and daddy give you food?” Scramble asked. Cecilia shook her head.

“I don’t have a mommy or a daddy, they left me when I was three.” Cecilia stated. Scramble let out a gasp. She couldn’t even imagine a life without her parents. She thought for a moment before grabbing Cecilia’s paw.

“Well, we can share a mommy and daddy from now on.” Scramble said, leading her into the backyard. Cecilia gulped. She wasn’t too sure about this. Scramble let Cecilia to the backyard where many adults were arguing. Spike stood in between both groups, trying to calm them down and make sure no one got physical. Scramble walked up to her father and pulled onto his tail.

“Daddy I found the one who is stealing everything.” Scramble said with a smile. Everyone stopped arguing and looked at the small diamond dog angrily.

“You should be ashamed of yourself young lady!” One diamond dog scolded. Cecilia's wars flattened and her eyes filled up with tears. A kirin went to approach her but Spike put his hand up.

“It’s okay, I’ll deal with her.” He stated, staring down at Cecilia. She struggled not to cry. She was in so much trouble.