• Published 15th Sep 2019
  • 1,576 Views, 19 Comments

The Love and Times of Sunset and Twilight - RainbowSparkle3



Sunset has had a crush on Twilight for a little while now, and she's finally prepared to ask her out. Whether or not it'll work out though, she doesn't have the slightest clue.

  • ...
6
 19
 1,576

The First Date

A smile tugged at the corners of my lips as I watched Twilight overcoming Midnight Sparkle, and finally getting over her fear of magic. And when she received one of the geodes and transformed, I felt a huge burst of pride inside my heart.

The memory of when I had first realized my feelings for Twilight played back in my head a million times as I stared at Twilight from near the back of the classroom. I gulped.

It had been a few weeks since the incident at Camp Everfree. All this time, I wanted to ask Twilight out, but I could never find the right way or time. And nervousness exists too, I guess. I figured that if I kept stalling, waiting for a perfect opportunity, nothing was ever gonna happen. So it was time to just ask her out.

I saw Ms. Cheerilee turn around to write something on the board, and in that moment, I reached into my pocket and checked my phone. It was 2:54. Only a few minutes left before class ended.

I tapped my fingers rhythmically against the desk and breathed in and out. Come on, Sunset. We've been over this. The worst that could happen is that she says no, and maybe things'll be a little awkward for a while. It'll be fine.

The wait for class to end was torture. I didn't pay any attention to class. The only thing I noticed was Twilight often raising her hand to answer questions. I was too freaking nervous. A dozen butterflies churned around in my stomach, and beads of sweat slithered down my face. Again, I gulped, this time the sensation refreshing my dry throat.

Finally, the bell rang to signify the end of the day. I let out a huge sigh of relief that I'd probably been holding in since the start of 4th period. Now it was time for the really hard part.

I told myself over and over again that nothing bad could happen, which only made things worse, so I shut my mind up. I really couldn't understand why I was acting like this. I hadn't felt so generally anxious since The Dazzlings. I chuckled dryly to myself. I suppose this is what happens when you don't get the first crush thing done and over with until you're in high school.

While I was thinking to myself, Twilight had walked over to me with her backpack slung tightly around her shoulders. When she greeted me with a simple "Hi," I nearly jumped out of my seat.

"Twilight!" I answered back with very forced enthusiasm, a strained smile on my lips. "What a...surprise to see you there!"

"In the class that we share? Even though you could see me from behind the whole time?" Twilight asked with a curious glint in her purple eyes. She adjusted her glasses in classic Twilight fashion, awkwardly moving them from the side, and raised an eyebrow. "Something's not right with you," she said. "What's the matter?"

Here was the big moment. It was time to pop the question. Wait. No, not like that. You know what I mean. "Um...well...I've just...been tired all day! I didn't get much sleep last night," I lied, laughing with as much sincerity as I could.

Twilight's eyebrow raised even higher, but she didn't press me any further, and just said, "Okaaay then. Let's go." She turned around and I slowly felt my chance slipping away.

"Do you want to go out tonight!?" I suddenly blurted. I immediately covered my mouth with both hands. Sweating profusely, I grimaced and slowly turned my gaze on Twilight.

She just stood there, now staring intently at me. It was hard to read her expression. She wasn't frowning or smiling. She just looked baffled. "Did you...say what I think you did?"

I smiled, my teeth spread wide, and I answered, "Yes?"

Twilight blinked. Then she blinked again. Then she opened her mouth. And then closed it again. Finally, she decided on keeping it open and her expression became much warmer. "Of course. When I lost my path, you helped me find it again. Both at the Friendship Games and Camp Everfree. No one else has been so supportive and such a great friend. I'm just surprised. I thought you were out of my league."

At that last bit, I laughed. "Me? Out of your league? You're the smartest, coolest friend I've ever had. If anything, you're the one out of my league."

Twilight shook her head slightly. "Um, according to my calculations..." she pulled out a fancy gadget from her pocket. "Your league is well above mine. At least by 200%."

I smirked and clicked my tongue. "Of course you calculated that. Just what I've come to expect." I paused and hesitated before continuing, running the possible outcomes of my next words through my head. "It's one of the cutest things about you."

Twilight's cheeks flared bright red and stumbled on her words for a few seconds. "Um, I, uh, well..." she cleared her throat before resuming in a somewhat calmer manner. "Th-thank you. It's something people used to call me annoying for."

I frowned at the thought of Crystal Preppers calling Twilight annoying. "They didn't know what they were talking about," I said as I stood up from my chair and rested a hand on her shoulder.

Twilight gave me a small, but meaningful smile. After a moment of silence, Twilight asked a very reasonable question. "So...what place did you have in mind?"

It clicked in my head just then that Twilight had said yes to a date. My heart started pounding and I struggled to remember the idea I had. "Oh right." I recalled the dramatic performance I had in mind, and got into character. "Be prepared for a special pickup at about 6 o'clock. Maybe dress fancily. And ready yourself for a great dinner. Where we're going, I can't say. But that's part of the fun."

Twilight chuckled at my performance and nodded. "I will be ready indeed." She immediately stopped acting and excitedly squealed. "Now I've gotta get ready!" She dashed off with more energy than I'd ever seen in her before.

I realized I was the only one still in the class, besides Ms. Cheerilee. She was sitting at her desk with her head resting on her chin as she watched with amusement. "Good luck," was all she said.

I gave her a thumbs up and left the classroom with confident strides, before I broke out into a jog, and then a sprint as I headed for the front gate where the rest of my friends would be.

"Hey guys!" I called out with great buoyancy as they came into view.

They were all wearing proud smiles, and once I came close enough, Applejack said, "It seems ya' finally caught the bass you were fishin' for."

"So Twilight told you?"

Rarity giggled and flipped her long purple hair back as she answered. "Why yes, darling. And she seemed quite excited. Almost as much as you."

She pointed her finger at me as she finished, and I scratched the back of my head in embarrassment. "Heh, that's saying a lot, considering I'm acting like a filly who just figured out how to use magic." I tapped my forefinger against my chin a few times before I continued. "Though I guess it's a good sign that she's eager."

"It sure is!" Pinkie remarked. "I know you've liked her for a couple of weeks and I know that's not a particularly long time for a crush but I'm still glad that you finally asked her out and she said yes though I'm not sure why I'm calling it finally considering I just talked about how it wasn't a long time and I-," before she could continue any more, Rainbow placed her hand in front of Pinkie's mouth to stop the endless sea of words.

"I think what she means is: nice one. And that's pretty much all I have to say." Rainbow raised her hand, and I copied her motion and clapped.

"Um," Fluttershy mumbled with a few locks of hair covering her face. "I'm really happy for you too, Sunset."

My mouth formed a huge smile and I said, "Thanks. All of you. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna take the bus home. I'm gonna need as much time as possible to prepare for tonight!"

In unison, everyone cheered, "Good luck!" I gave them all a thumbs up and hurried back home.

Once I opened my door, I immediately started getting ready. I went through an assortment of different looks, with and without makeup. In the end, I decided to go with a mostly blue dress flaring with orange around the middle and spikes around the shoulder area. I also fancied up my hair a bit, arranging it in a way that made it cascade down only one side of my head, and I tied it up with a hairpin that looked like my cutie mark. It was the same look I wore to the ball at Camp Everfree, and as I looked at myself in the mirror, I felt very satisfied with it.

Ready to head out into the night, I checked how long it would be until I had to leave.

My eyes widened with alarm as I shouted the time in disbelief. "5:54!? How long did I spend picking a dress!?" I frantically grabbed my keys, locked the door, opened my car door and slammed it shut before racing the car to Twilight's place, which was (thankfully) pretty close.

I got there at just about 6, and I pumped my arms harder than I thought was possible as I ran to Twilight's door. I probably looked really stupid running in a fancy dress, but that was hardly my concern at the time.

When I got to the door, I took a moment to grab my knees as I panted, before ringing the doorbell.

The silence that reigned for a few seconds was so tense that I swore it was tangible. I held my breath as I waited, and after what felt like years, I heard the sound of a lock being undone, and the door swung open. There, standing with her arms at her sides, straight as sticks, was Twilight.

I instinctively let go of my breath when I saw her. I was speechless. She also wore the same dress that she was wearing at the ball a few weeks ago. I couldn't believe it took until now to appreciate how beautiful she was in that dress. From the adorable bun, to the star-filled bodice, to even how well the light blue skirt fit her. "Wow," I whispered in awe.

Twilight blushed slightly and commented, "I guess we both had the same idea."

Still a bit unfocused, I said, "Yeah...but you look a lot better than me."

Twilight looked at me for a moment, scanning me like a machine, before shaking her head and vehemently disagreeing with that claim. "No. You're a lot more beautiful than me."

Now it was my turn to blush, and I blushed enough to turn my whole face from orange to red. Not really knowing how to respond to that other than with a simple, "Thanks," I then directed us to the car, walking over to the right side before entering, holding the door open for Twilight.

As she entered, Twilight smiled smugly and said, "Thank you, chaperone."

I rolled my eyes, but let a grin reveal itself, and I then entered the car from the other side. I closed the door and started up the engine.

I started driving, and we were both silent for a while, neither of us really knowing what to say.

Eventually I started a conversation with the worst topic imaginable. “So...the weather’s pretty nice today, isn’t it?”

Twilight looked dumbfounded for a while. Even she couldn’t predict that my topic of choice would be so pathetic. “Um...actually, I prefer the cold weather. Heat’s just a lot more uncomfortable and, well, hot.”

I cracked a smile randomly, and replied, “Honestly, I just said that to go along with the cliche. I kind of agree.”

Twilight nodded. “I thought so. No one actually brings up the weather with their honest observations. Though I’m a bit surprised in your case, considering well, you know.”

“My name?”

“Yes.”

I had stopped at a red light, and so I spared a glance sideways. We simply looked at each for a while before bursting with laughter.

After that the rest of the conversation was a lot more natural, and we arrived at The Hay Burger feeling very ready for dinner. I saw Twilight glance out the window and at the shop. “Oh, The Hay Burger! I haven’t been there in a long time. I remember really liking the food.” She then looked up in thought before asking, “Are you sure it’s a good first date place though?”

I waved my hand casually in reply. “Fancy first dates are overrated. And the food here definitely balances out any aesthetic advantages those fancy shmancy places have.”

Twilight shrugged in response. “Maybe, but…” She hesitated, before nervously continuing. “Other restaurants do tend to have a more romantic feeling.”

“I hadn’t really considered that.” I bit my lip, wondering if I’d made a mistake bringing us here of all places.

Twilight studied my expression for a few seconds, and said, “It’s fine, Sunset. I’m sure the food will be delicious. Any place that you think is great is one I’m willing to try out.” She smiled sweetly, and I returned it in kind.

I parked us right next to the big restaurant and we exited the car. I appreciated the explosively colored sign that spelt out the name of the place, before going over to the door to hold it open for Twilight, being the gentlewoman I was. “Ladies first,” I said in a silky smooth voice.

Twilight giggled and walked in, moments before I followed. I introduced her to the layout of the shop and after ordering, talked a bit about how this was a special restaurant in that it served fast food. “Why isn’t it a fastfood place, then?” She asked.

“Um, obviously so the food is of high quality. The chefs here are pretty talented, though, meaning…” I waited for the perfect moment, knowing that the food would arrive soon. I saw an arm holding trays of food and I finished. “The food is amazing and relatively quick.”

I simply allowed Twilight to enjoy her Hay Burger, and with amusement, I watched her scarf it down while I calmly ate mine.

“Wow,” She said, licking her fingers. “It’s so juicy and tender and with an amazing richness.”

“Told you you’d like it,” I said with a knowing smile.

“Oh no, like doesn’t even begin to describe how incredible that was. I’m so glad we came here!”

I chuckled. “Me too. No other restaurant has such great food and equally great customer service.”

“You said it.” We fist bumped, ending it in an explosion. After licking off the rest of the oil off her fingers in a way that could only be described as cute (as weird as that sounds), she stared at me and the almost finished burger in my hand. “You know, I’ve never really considered it before, but...how does eating meat work for you, being a former pony?”

I smiled. “I wondered when you were gonna ask that. I think it’s taken you the longest out of all of our friends. But it’s something everyone questions at some point.” Twilight stared attentively at me, and I began. “Well, back in the day, I really just wanted to fit in so I could be cool and not weird, so I kind of forced myself to try out meat. It wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be, since this body is meant to consume meat. Just don’t bring horse meat to me.”

Twilight laughed a little before answering. “Yeah, I really wasn’t expecting you to. Not many people in general eat it.”

After another short conversation, I called the waiter over to pay for the bill. As much as Twilight resisted, I payed for both of us, and after washing our oily hands, we left feeling very satisfied. Or at least, I did.

We entered my car, and once I started driving, Twilight turned to me and said, “This was fun. Thanks for inviting me, Sunset.”

“The pleasure is all mine,” I replied honestly. The next thing to ask was obvious, and I asked without delay. “So, do you wanna continue this thing? Dating, I mean?”

Twilight looked at me with surprise and cheerfully said, “Of course! I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

I nodded contentedly, attempting to contain my excitement, and soon, we were back at Twilight’s place. I followed her to her door, and once we got there, we stood still for a while without saying a word. The soft light of the moon and stars painted our faces white, and the warmth of the night was actually pretty comforting in that moment.

After a minute of silence, I said, “I guess I’ll see you tomorrow?”

“Yeah,” Twilight replied. After another moment of silence, we moved towards each other with painfully slow steps. I noticed the gentle swaying of Twilight’s dress as her legs moved forward one at a time.

Finally, once we were standing so close that I could feel Twilight’s breath, we pressed our lips together and closed our eyes. Twilight’s lips were so gentle, and I couldn’t help but notice how they felt slightly awkward, clumsily adjusting position.

Regardless of her kissing skills though, it was perfect. After a little while, my hands instinctively rose to caress Twilight’s hair, and she followed suit.

After a very short minute, we separated and stared into the other’s eyes. “Goodnight,” I said quietly.

“Goodnight,” Twilight repeated.

The next few minutes were very strange. I wasn’t exactly dazed, but the whole ride home and even when I got back, my mind was stuck on that first kiss, and as I settled into bed, a smile formed on my lips. I drifted off into sleep, thinking about how this was just the beginning, and things would only get better from here.