• Published 19th Jul 2019
  • 549 Views, 24 Comments

Magnificent Might of Midnight Sight Sorcerer Supreme - Element of Malice



A pony wakes up in the Everfree Forest with no recollection on how he got there, or even who he is. But one thing he does know is that he can see lights.

  • ...
2
 24
 549

Chapter 4

Author's Note:

my workload has increased, so I can’t post these as often as before, but I will strive to complete this story.

Applejack woke with a start. It was still dark outside, and she couldn’t remember how she ended up downstairs on the sofa until she saw the bandages on her leg. The farm mare looked where she saw Good Light taking refuge before she passed out, but he wasn’t there.

Applejack rolled off the couch and yawned defiantly, refusing to go back to the comfort of the warm couch cushion. Her mind was set on making sure Good Light didn’t cause any more trouble if it was the last thing she did.

When the farm mare walked into the kitchen, she saw her sister eating breakfast. “Morning sis, sleep okay?” Apple Bloom said to her sister.

“Not really,” The exhausted mare half waddled to the fridge and opened the door, “Ah had a dream that Good Light was a triplet, his brother was called Cuckoo Bonkers, and the other one was Pinky Pie. Ask me how that went.”

“You’re making it sound like ah shouldn’t.”

“Please… don’t,” the orange farm mare shuttered from the unpleasant recollection as she closed the fridge. “Speaking of Good Light, where is he?” Applejack preceded to drown herself in apple cider.

“On the roof, I think.” Apple Bloom said like it was no big deal, but Applejack sprayed her drink like it was sewer water when she heard her say that.

“HE’S WHAT!! What… what makes you so sure!” Applejack asked, not wanting to believe her sister's words.

“Well, Granny said she couldn’t find her mixn’ spoon ‘fer some reason’ so she went to buy another one, Granny also said she needed ta restock our food supply, so she’s just left to get to the shops early. And Big Mac’s out unlockn’ the barn. So, when I heard hoof steps on the roof I…”

Applejack didn’t wait for her sister to finish as she stampeded up the stairs to get to a roof accessible window. The window she found was already open, most likely by Good Light. Her head poked out as she scanned the rooftop. She saw him lying on his back with his hoofs behind his head. But he had shifted his head to look at her.

“Don’t move Good Light!” She said slowly with a raised voice, as she climbed out the window, “Ah’m gonna git ya down, okay? Just stay where you are, it ain’t safe fer you up here. You can trust me. I’m good light.”

Hearing Applejack talking the way she was, earned her a scowl from the stallion. “No, you’re Applejack. The temporary name your sister Apple Bloom gave me, is Good Light. I’m not stupid. And a good morning to you too by the way.”

Applejack nearly lost her hoofing when she heard him talking in full sentences. “H… Ho… how?” she said gawking.

Good Light stood up on his hind legs, “Extra! Extra! The pony who lost his marbles speaks like a commoner!” He declared like a town crier announcing the front-page headline of the decade. “Yeah, I understand how my first impression to you made me look like I had a mental disability, but no, I don’t. I came up here for a quiet place to think, and to help clear my head so I could at least string my words together.” He sat back down on the shingles. “Before you ask, yes I am blind despite seeing these… ‘lights.’ And no, I don’t know how I got to where your Pegasus friend, Fluttershy I think her name was, found me or anything before that.”

Applejack’s voice got serious. “Last night, when we meet…”

“Was nothing more than the rabbling of a pony who was lost, confused, hungry, and… and scared.” Good Light said the last words with a quivering breath. He turned away from Applejack sighing and hugged his back legs to his chest as he laid down. “Really… really scared.” It sounded like he was on the verge of tears again as he said those words.

Applejack didn’t know what to say, for more than one reason, but that didn’t mean she wasn’t going to at least try, “Uh… ya mind if ah sit next to ya?”

“No.” the stallion muttered at a barely audible volume. He heard the orange mare climbed the rest of the way onto the roof. “I said no. I don’t want to talk right now, and I don’t trust you or anyone else for that matter.”

“Now why wouldn’t you trust me, after all that happened…”

Good lights lifted his head and gazed daggers as Applejack, “Oh, I’m not mad at you or anything, but I have a whole list of reasons why I shouldn’t trust you.” He stood up and faced the farm mare like the adversary he saw her as, “First of all, you could be lying to me. It’s the easiest thing anypony could do to somepony who can’t even remember their own name. Second I’m clearly not from here. This place doesn’t sound like a city, so I’m guessing, small town, not very many residences, everypony knows everypony. If I were from around here, then you would at least have some idea of who I am, but you don’t.”

Applejack did not believe her ears. This pony was accusing her of being a liar of all things, and she was not going to let him get away with it. “Now wait just a minute…”

“No, I’ve been thinking a lot about how I ended up here, and I’m just getting started. I suspect that not very many ponies are blind like me, so that means I would be easily identifiable. But maybe you do know my name, and you’re not telling me for whatever reason, how would I know the difference? Third I was not very far from your apple farm. One possibility was that I was trying to escape from you but failed and now I’m back at square one. Number four, I realized you’re protective when it comes to family, so maybe this one will make more sense if I say it like this. What if it wasn’t me this was happening to but your brother, or better yet Granny Smith, and I was the one who did it. What would you do if you had the opportunity to spend five minutes alone with me? And how do I know you wouldn’t do it anyway regardless of what I did… do… have done?”

Applejack’s brain flat-lined when she heard him say what he did. “Don’t… even… joke! About something like that! I would never, in a million moons, treat any pony, creature, or anything like the way you look like you’ve bin treated.”

Good Light gave her an accusing stare, “Do I look like a joke to you? You’d be surprised how fast somepony can change overnight. Some… thing did this! to me. As far as I’m aware; whatever, or whoever, it was is still out there, and Apple Bloom could easily be their next victim. That concludes my list as to why I won’t trust you. Until the thing responsible is found and given what it deserves, whether it is you or not. In the meantime, I will have trust issues with just about everyone I come into contact with.”

“Yeah, well, FINE! Be that way!” Applejack stormed back to the window she climbed through.

“I’m not mad at you! I just want to be alone right now…” Good Light slumped back down and buried his face into his forelegs. He felt tears burning his eyes, but they weren’t falling.


Applejack entered the attic grumbling to herself, “Ah don’t believe… How could somepony be so…” She slammed the window shut, “Who does he think he is, talking bout my family like that! Why ah oughta…” she bucked the wall leaving a hole, dust falling into Apple Bloom’s red hair as she stood stock-still.

“Uh…hehe, Hey sis…” she said with a nervous chuckle

“Apple Bloom?” Applejack said in disbelief, “What are you doing up here? Ah didn’t see ya, ah coulda…” The orange mare didn’t want to finish what she was about to say.

“Ah heard Good Light say something about losing his marbles, so ah figured ah’d give him some of mine, since ah’m not using them anyway.” Apple Bloom held up a small bag of marbles in her mouth. “Ah thought it would at least help him feel a little better.”

“That’s mighty kind of ya sugar cube, but he ain’t referrin’ to them kinda marbles.” Applejack said, concerned about what could happen if the marbles reached the blind pony on the roof.

Apple bloom looked at the small bag, “Well then what did… Oh, those kinda marbles.”

“Hold on, where did ya hear that term!?”

“On one of our school trips, we passed the hospital and ah heard Dimond Tiara say somethin’ like that. Although it didn’t sound too friendly when she said it.” Apple Bloom answered.

“Because it ain’t,” Applejack said, “So don’t be saying things like that again, ya hear?”

“Alright, but ah still wanna give him my marbles. Ah reckon he’s havin’ a rough time and like ah said, ah wanna help.” Apple Bloom almost pleaded.

“Okay, but maybe when he’s not on the roof,” Applejack said, then she had an idea, “If ya really wanna help, I remember you saying that you wanted to figure out what he’s cutie mark meant.”

The yellow filly beamed when she heard that. “That’s right, his cutie mark! I’m going to look at it right now.” Apple boom darted to the window, but Applejack stepped on her tail to stop the overly excited filly.

“Hold your horses. There’s somethin’ about Good Light Ah need ta tell ya.” Then Applejack preceded to fill Apple Bloom in on the conversation she had with Good Light and to be careful. Once the filly climbed out, the window, Applejack looked at the hole she made once more. “Ah guess he did have some point, but ah intend ta prove him wrong. Ah’m somepony he can trust.”