• Published 7th Jun 2019
  • 1,036 Views, 3 Comments

My Little Pony: The Meltdown - Dinopony2580



It's been a few months since Equestria's first Ice Age and since the glacier almost destroyed Ponyville and everything's going good. It's spring now and Winter Wrap Up time. But, that means the glacier's melting too.

  • ...
 3
 1,036

The Encounter; Time's Running Out

Morning came quick. Applejack was the first to wake up from her long night sleep. She stretched and let out a big yawn. Everypony else was still asleep.

Then she saw a river close to them, and she went to go take a drink. The river was nice and cool. Then, she realized something. This river was never here before.

She then became alerted that the glacier was melting faster than she thought. "Girls, wake up!" she shouted.

Rainbow woke up and fell off her log, hitting the ground hard. Surprisingly, nopony else woke up.

Pinkie flinched a little, Rarity turned a bit, Fluttershy adjusted herself, and Twilight groaned a bit.

"What's up, AJ" Rainbow said, getting up and rubbing her eyes, then letting out a yawn. "Look at this" Applejack said pointing at the river.

Rainbow flew over and looked. "What's so bad about a river?" Rainbow asked. She then took a drink of it. "This river wasn't here before!" Applejack said.

Then Rainbow realized what Applejack meant. "Quick, wake up everypony" Applejack said. Rainbow nodded and screamed, "Wake up!".

Rarity jerked awake, Fluttershy fell off her log, Pinkie immediately woke, and so did Twilight. "What's wrong, Rainbow?" Twilight asked.

Rainbow gestured Twilight to come here. Twilight flew over and saw what Rainbow woke everyone up for. "That river wasn't there before" Twilight said.

"That's why we woke everyone up" Applejack said. "Yeah, Applejack saw it first" Rainbow said. Twilight nodded in approvement.

Then, she noticed the sun was higher than normal. "We overslept!?" Twilight said. Applejack and Rainbow looked at the sun. "Shoot, we did" Rainbow said.

"Come on, y'all. We better get going right now!" Applejack said. Rainbow and Twilight agreed. "What?" Rarity asked, taking off her sleeping mask.

"Did we oversleep?" Fluttershy asked, getting up from her fall. "Apparently we did because the sun is higher than normal" Pinkie said packing up her marshmallows.

"Yeah, come on girls. We slept in so we need to get going, now!" Twilight said.

After hearing this, Rarity and Fluttershy immediately got up and started packing their stuff. When everyone was packed, they continued on their journey to the boat.


The glacier was half way gone.

Ice was bursting off the glacier and bigger water streams were coming out.

It could burst any day now and time was running out for the ponies, and Equestria.


Meanwhile, Starlight, Spike, and Ponyville's ponies were about only a few miles from where the boat was.

Luckily, Spike made a map and was helping Starlight direct everypony on where to go.

They were ahead of schedule and were covering quite a bit of ground.

Just as long as they made it to the boat before the glacier burst, they'd be A.O.K.


Twilight and the Mane 6 have just left the Everfree Forest, but a half mile ahead, they faced another obstacle. A frozen lake that was about another half mile long.

Twilight stopped them a few inches from the lakes edge. She stepped on the ice. She heard slight cracking. She, then fully stepped on the ice.

It was strong enough to hold her, but the question is, can the others fit on it without it giving way? "One at a time" Twilight said. First, Fluttershy stepped on it.

When she stepped on it, she almost slipped, but she kept her balance and got the hang of it. Applejack followed her, then Rarity, followed by Pinkie.

Rainbow decided to fly, after what happened on top of the glacier. They got a few meters when Pinkie started skating.

"Pinkie, you're gonna weaken the ice if you skate" Twilight said. "That'd be if I had skates on, silly" Pinkie replied. Twilight then realized that.

"Hey, mind if I join you?" Rainbow asked. "Of course, Rainbow Dash" Pinkie said.

They started skating, pulling off all kinds of awesome moves and kind of putting on a show for the rest of the group, even though they were having fun.

Everypony was impressed by it, but they still focused on the task at hand. What they didn't realize was that something was watching them.

The show ended when Rainbow and Pinkie crashed into each other and slid across the ice. When they both recovered, they burst into laughter.

"Oh, Pinkie. You are one awesome ice skater" Rainbow commented. "Aw, it was nothing, but practice makes perfect." They both agreed and continued laughing.

The other 4 shook their heads and smiled at them. Then, all of a sudden, the ice burst up from beneath Pinkie and Rainbow.

They were both launched into the air by a few feet.

That sudden outburst caused the entire lake to start cracking and ice started drifting apart and away from each other.

Rainbow managed to fly up while Pinkie fell down into the water. "Pinkie!" Rainbow shouted before diving into the water after Pinkie.

"Rainbow Dash!" Twilight shouted. They raced to the new hole in the ice. Rainbow swam after Pinkie.

Pinkie was conscious, luckily, and she started swimming up to Rainbow. When they were next to each other, Pinkie saw the thing.

She screamed underwater and swam away as fast as she could.

Rainbow was confused at first, but when she looked where Pinkie looked, she swam after Pinkie as fast as she could and, soon, they were both swimming for their lives.

The thing was fast, faster than they were. Twilight and the others followed Rainbow and Pinkie. Rainbow saw a crack in the ice and she and Pinkie swam for it.

When they reached it, the thing pushed them out of the water. They were on top of each other as they slid across the ice a few feet ahead.

Rainbow was the first to see it. It was the sea monster from before! Pinkie looked at it a few seconds after. They had never seen anything like it.

But, immediately, they knew only one thing. Run! The sea monster was luckily stuck in the crack. He tried to break free, but he was stuck good.

He roared at Pinkie and Rainbow. Rainbow flew as fast as she could away, with Pinkie right behind her, running as fast as she could.

When Twilight and the others arrived, they never seen anything like it before. "What is that!?" Rarity shouted. That caught the sea monster's attention.

He couldn't fully turn around, but he saw them. He let out a thunderous roar at them. Rarity and Fluttershy screamed.

Twilight immediately shot it in the face with a laser, stunning it. They immediately ran around it.

When it became unstunned, it almost snatched Rarity, and barely Fluttershy. Applejack bucked it in the nose when it went after her. It yelped in pain.

This enraged the sea monster. He immediately broke the ice with his head and submerged under the water again.

He raised his dorsal fin, and it shredded through the ice like an icebreaker. Applejack saw it coming for them. She looked at the ice, then Rarity.

An idea popped in her mind. "Hold on, Rarity!" Applejack shouted. Rarity was confused. "What!?" Rarity shouted. But then, she wasn't confused no more.

Applejack, then, bucked her with all she got. Like Rarity was a hockey puck, she was launched across the ice. Rarity let out a scream in terror and confusion.

She then collided into Fluttershy, who which joined her in the screaming. They both zoomed past Twilight, who was a little confused.

Rainbow and Pinkie were on the other side of the lake by now. They were panting from their long run. "That was a close one" Rainbow said.

"Yeah, but, what in Equestria was that thing?" Pinkie said. "I don't know. I've never seen it before." Rainbow said.

Pinkie then looked off across the way, and saw the 4 still coming. "Come on, guys! Hurry it up!" Pinkie shouted.

Then, Rainbow saw Rarity and Fluttershy speeding towards them. "Is that...Rarity and Fluttershy?" Rainbow asked Pinkie.

Pinkie put her hoof over eyes and squinted. "I believe so..." Then Pinkie realized that they were speeding directly towards them.

"Rainbow Dash, they're coming towards us" Pinkie said to Rainbow.

"Oh..." Before they could do anything and before Rainbow could finish, Rarity and Fluttershy collided into them.

The speed of them created a trench in the snow behind them. They were all on top of each other, dazed and confused.

Pinkie was the first to recover, and realized the snow around them had not been fully cleared. "Well, I guess not all the snow has melted" she said to herself.

But then, she realized something. Twilight and Applejack were still on the lake, with that thing chasing after them. She immediately ran to the lake.

She looked across the lake and saw them. The lake was now just pieces of ice.

Twilight was now flying, but she was a little bit ahead of Applejack, who was now jumping across ice pieces. "Hurry, you guys!" Pinkie shouted at them.

Twilight then saw Applejack. She flew back to get her. Applejack was struggling a little bit. She looked behind her. The sea monster was almost up to her.

Then, she saw Twilight flying back to her. "Twilight, get out of here!" Applejack shouted. "No friend's left behind" Twilight said.

She picked up Applejack by her front hooves. Now, Twilight flew as fast as she could. Applejack looked behind them. The sea monster was gaining.

"Could you fly a little faster!?" Applejack said to her. "I'm trying and I'm also going as fast as I can" Twilight replied.

The sea monster jumped out of the water, jaws open wide. It barely missed Applejack by a few inches. The sea monster then made another attack run.

Twilight immediately through Applejack to the river's edge. She luckily made it. Twilight picked up speed, just as the sea monster leaped out of the water again.

She made it, barely missing the sea monster's jaws. It collided into the rivers edge, chest first. Twilight collapsed onto the snow, exhausted.

"Twilight, are you okay?" Rainbow asked. "Yeah, I'm good." Twilight said panting. She got up on her feet, catching her breath.

They looked back at the sea monster as it roared and snapped its jaws at them. Fluttershy, immediately, had enough. As she approached the sea monster, it growled.

She then immediately flew up, looked at him, and raised her voice.

"Now, you listen here, buster. Just because your big and scary doesn't mean you need to try and eat innocent ponies. What did we ever do to you?"

She then gave the sea monster "the stare". "You got that?" she asked it. The sea monster got a nervous expression on his face.

"I said, you got that?" she asked him. With a sad expression on his face, he crawled back into the lake.

Fluttershy landed and watched as it went back into the depths of the lake. She then looked back at her friends with a smile on her face. They cheered in triumph.

"Good job, Fluttershy! You scared off that thing" Rainbow said. "It was nothing, really" Fluttershy replied.

"Girls" Twilight interrupted, "We still have a boat to get to. We'll celebrate later but right now, the clock is ticking. That glacier could burst anytime now."

They all agreed, and continued on to the boat. But, Fluttershy's "stare" was only enough to drive the sea monster away.

As they walked on, he watched them with an evil look, before submerging under the lake.

Luckily, the sea monster was trapped in the lake because of the ice barrier around the lake. He would be trapped in there until the flood came.