• Published 17th May 2019
  • 1,369 Views, 50 Comments

The World Race - TheIronPone035



Rainbow Dash found a strange car in front of her house with a message on the dashboard of a race like no other. Obviously, she chose to participate.

  • ...
3
 50
 1,369

Starting Line (Remastered)

The sound of squealing tires had become a near constant noise in the dimly lit room, the irritating sounds of burning rubber once again echoing through the many speakers littered throughout the room. These speakers were all linked up to a series of monitors, each currently depicting the image of a red strip of road in a volcanic-like setting. The rumble of an engine could be faintly heard over the tires as the recorded dashcam of the vehicle took a turn to the left, approaching a massive loop that was at the very least three hundred feet tall.

The engine roared as more power was shoved through the wheels, trying to keep the vehicle going forwards as it began to climb the loop. The vehicle went surprisingly far up, not backing down at all even as gravity began ripping it away from the track. But sadly, the vehicle reached its breaking point and began its falling action, which would let it meet the same fate as the other test vehicles. The tires soon were left spinning on open air, the weight of the vehicle dragging it from the heavily inclining track. It quickly began flipping as it fell through the air, before crashing hard into the rocky abyss below. The second it made contact with the sharp spiked ground of the environment, the dashcam's signal was severed. The monitors instantly changed from crisp clear depictions of the ground to grey static, the speakers following suit right after.

Upon both seeing and hearing the static, a gloved fist slammed down onto a table that was facing a large portion of monitors. Not long after did an annoyed groan emit from a purple skinned woman's mouth, followed by her pushing her chair away from the desk. The woman was wearing a navy blue suit over a dark purple dress shirt, along with matching navy blue suit pants and black boots. To top it all off, a pair of black rimmed glasses sat on her face, purple irises staring right behind the thin layer of organic glass.

"That makes the total fifty. Fifty high end cars lost to those tracks. It'd be so much better if those cars actually got me progress, but I can't seem to reach any sort of end!" The woman exclaimed out loud, absentmindedly running a hand through her long dark blue hair that held a hot pink and purple striped highlight through it.

"Well, you have just been throwing cars nonstop into highway thirty five." A voice exclaimed from the woman's left.

She turned her gaze towards the source, her eyes locking onto a purple furred dog with a green tail and green highlights on his head in the shape of spines. The dog was sitting in a hovering metal chair, several wires connecting to arm and leg bands keeping the two linked continuously. This chair was not only comfortable, it also acted as a translator and helped give the dog a higher intelligence boost to his already high IQ. This meant that he was the perfect companion for the reclusive and introverted scientist.

"Well what else am I supposed to do Spike? I've built a whole new type of car, the fastest in the world! If they can't get through, then what can?" The woman inquired.

"How about a new type of driver?" 'Spike' replied.

The woman opened her mouth to reply, but found no words leaving. Spike did have a point. All the vehicles that had been launched into highway thirty five were remotely operated either by her or a specific A.I. This meant that they'd all performed in relatively similar statutes, meaning they'd end up meeting the same fate as the others.

But if those cars were controlled by human beings directly...

She made her way back over to her desk and booted up a side computer, quickly bringing up some of the most used social media websites in the world. She scrolled through a few pages of people, before resting her eyes on a few who have claimed to be the best drivers in the world.

She grinned as a plan formed in her mind, a plan that was sure to work this time. But first, she was gonna need some fast cars...


The ocean was practically sparkling at this time of day, with the sun directly above it and only a couple of clouds in sight. To any onlookers, they might have thought someone had won the lottery and tossed thousands of pounds worth of shiny gold into the ocean.

Neighboring this beautiful sight was an expansive city filled with all sorts of places. From bowling alleys, to arcades, to malls. It was also very populated, with tons of people driving to and from work in their cars, or simply walking around and chatting with friends.

A lone skate park in the middle of a more rural area currently held two residents, both of them standing on a large wooden half pipe. The polished wood rumbled loudly as the wheels of a skateboard shot across it and into the air, landing perfectly back on the skating structure.

The person riding the skateboard was a teenager with cyan skin and magenta eyes that held both a spark of adventure, and a fire of determination. The female teenager wore a white T-shirt under a light blue vest, skinny black pants, and white and blue sneakers with a rainbow pattern across the sides. Her matching rainbow hair fluttered behind her as she mimicked what she'd done on the left side of the half pipe on the other side, once again landing with ease.

Even though she was having a blast on the skateboard, she couldn't help but mentally sigh when her eyes spotted the only other person at the skatepark, who happened to be her best friend. She screeched her skateboard to a halt, wheels skirting a little as they came to a stop at the base of the halfpipe.

"Come on Fluttershy! You won't get better by only standing next to the board!" The girl exclaimed to her friend who was standing next to the halfpipe, her skateboard shaking with her hands.

She had yellow skin with long pink hair that covered one of her large cyan blue eyes. She was wearing a green T-Shirt with the words Animal Lover on it with an arrow pointing to her face, which to anyone who knew her, was nothing but accurate. She was also wearing crisp brown pants with white and pink boots. A lime green helmet was securely fastened over her head, plus shoulder pads and knee pads in their respective places. There was an occasional pink butterfly sticker plastered about to keep them from being plain.

"Rainbow Dash," Fluttershy stammered, trying to sound as calm as possible, and failing. "I d-don't think this is something that I c-can do."

"There's nothing to worry about. You brought all that equipment to stop yourself from getting hurt, but you haven't even gotten on the skateboard!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed. "Look, at-least give it a try and show me what you can do, then we can work up from there."

Fluttershy gulped loudly as she set the skateboard she was holding in her trembling hands down and slowly got on it. The board shifted a little to the right from the sudden weight increase, causing Fluttershy to scramble to the left to try and keep balance. This only led her to stumble and fall off the board.

"Ow," Fluttershy mumbled, rubbing the knee she had landed on. She looked up to see a cyan hand outstretched in front of her.

"Ok, maybe it's best if you practice balance before you start riding the half pipe." Rainbow stated, pulling her friend back up to her feet.

Fluttershy blushed slightly, but before she could answer, she was cut off by a loud buzzing sound emitting from one of Rainbow's pants pockets. The rainbow haired teen reached into said pocket and retrieved a cyan phone, an alert message filling the message slot on it. There were only a few words in the message, but these words were all she needed to know.

"Um, what was that?" Fluttershy asked, curious as to what her friends phone had just received.

"My dad should be back, which means I can take the car to the race track in the next town over and finally see the Wonderbolts race again!" Rainbow exclaimed, excitement leaking through her words like a faucet. "You mind if we cut this short?"

"Not at all, I should practice back at my house anyways before... " Fluttershy trailed off as she gazed at the ominous half pipe. "-that."

"Alright then, later Flutters!" Rainbow said, before moving her skateboard onto the sidewalk and taking off towards her home.

Getting to see the Wonderbolts race had always been on her bucket list ever since she'd been eight and saw them the first time at the Indy 500 with her mom. Sadly, she hadn't had the time to travel across the country or fly to another for all their other races, but now she had a shot to finally see them again in person.

Her skateboards wheels rumbled across the cement, their durability quickly getting put to the test as their owner made them spin faster as she increased her speeds.

"Heh, these roads are about to see a future Wonderbolt race to another town." Rainbow told herself as she looked at the road she was skateboarding next to. The asphalt seemed to be waving a finger at her, as if a challenge to bring it on.


Rainbow stopped her skateboard just shy of her home's driveway and jumped off of It, walking the rest of the way towards the front door. It was a cozy yet simple one story building with faded white walls and a slanted grey roof. The front door was tinted cyan and black while each window was blocked out by dark blue curtains from the inside. The driveway led up to a small overhang that stretched to the one car garage in the back right hand corner.

The teen looked around the driveway and the street, but couldn't seem to spot her father's car. She pulled out her phone and double checked that she'd read the text right, and the same text she'd read earlier filled the screen.

"Where the heck is he?" Rainbow wondered, forced to wait until her dad showed up.

After a few seconds of standing by the door, she began tapping her foot impatiently on the cement steps. Patience wasn't exactly one of her strong suits, and the drive to get to the racing stadium only fueled it. It was like being in a line for the new roller coaster at the local amusement park, and Rainbow wasn't patient on those trips either.

What felt like hours which in reality had only been around ten minutes, Rainbow was done waiting and about to give her dad a call. But she stopped when she spotted her father's old green 1960s Chevrolet Camaro pull up in front of the house.

"Finally... " Rainbow muttered mentally, walking over to the right side of the car.

Her father stepped out of the car, his light purple skin covered by a navy blue suit and matching pants. He locked eyes with his daughter, his expression making Rainbow worry.

"What's going on Dad?" She asked.

Her father walked over to her, his greying rainbow hair blowing in the faint breeze. "My squadron is shipping out, high alert." He stated flatly.

"Wait, but you said that we could go see the Wonderbolts race at the ACS!" Rainbow exclaimed.

Her father sighed to himself, a mental battle raging in his mind. "Look Dash, I'm sorry that I have to leave, especially today. But ever since... the incident, I've had to double up on my work. As much as I want to see those Wonderbolts smoke their opponents, especially with you by my side, I have to put work first. I have a team, a team who needs me to lead them." Her Dad explained.

Rainbow wanted to say something to try and convince her father to take her anyways, but she already knew the answer. Her father was barely able to be home just to sleep these days, and it was already taking its toll on their relationship.

"Alright, just try to come home before dinner." Dash stated, before giving her dad a hug which he returned in full.

In almost no time flat, her father was already backed out of the driveway and driving down the road. Once the car was out of sight, Rainbow trudged over to where she'd dropped her skateboard and picked it up. She stared at it for a few seconds, before throwing it in a fit of anger onto the lawn, where it bounced and landed with a thump next to a tree.


Rainbow laid on her bed, a pencil she was fidgeting with in her left hand, and her phone held up to her ear in her right. It turns out that Fluttershy had returned home right in time to get a call from the local animal shelter which she worked at and had to help calm a pair of angry birds and a dog. So she couldn't head back to the skatepark to help her practice more even if she wanted to, which meant Rainbow was once again on her own.

With the rest of her friends either being busy or having moved away, Rainbow was left alone in her house to do what she wanted, again. So she put her phone into one of her pants pockets, threw the pencil back into the mug where she'd grabbed it, and stood back up.

"There has to be something to do around here." Rainbow muttered to herself, exiting her room and navigating down the hall towards the kitchen.

She opened a cupboard that held an assortment of snacks and began browsing through them, eventually deciding on a box of rainbow goldfish. She grabbed the container and was about to set it aside to grab a bowl to poor them into, but froze when she noticed something outside a window.

There was something in the driveway, and it was definitely not her dad's car.

Forgetting about the snack completely, Rainbow shot out of the kitchen and down the hallway towards the front door. She swung it open and immediately locked eyes with the massive blue object that was now resting in the driveway.

Resting in the sunlight was a blue vehicle that she didn't recognize from any sort of vehicle shop, magazine, or televised race. It didn't even have a company logo on it. The blue vehicle appeared to be some sort of truck with a flat back behind the cab part. Resting on the back were two rainbow surfboards that went from the end of the cab to the exposed engine on the back of the car. The front had two oval shaped windows on the sides and one large windshield, it also didn't seem to have any door handles. It's sides revealed a surfing-like livery, with a single colored surfer riding several large waves against a watery backdrop.

Rainbow walked out of her house and over to the truck, her eyes drifting to one of the oval windows. She looked through it at the insides of the car, seeing a coal black interior with several buttons on a console in the middle and a blank monitor in the middle area below what she assumed was an A.C. unit.

"Awesome... " Rainbow said out loud, admiring the car from front to back. "But, how do I get in?"

Rainbow's thoughts were answered as the whole front panel came off of the car and rose into the air, making the whole thing scream sci fi. She jumped into the driver's seat and looked around the interior. The seats were smooth black leather while the gear stick was black with tints of silver along it. Rainbow spotted a blue lever next to the other seat which was sticking up. Curious, she pushed down on the lever and the front panel lowered back into place.

The blank image on the console flickered to life, displaying a face of a purple woman with tinted black glasses, shielding her eyes from view.

"Greetings, because of your extraordinary abilities, you have been chosen to take part in the World Race." The woman on the monitor exclaimed.

Rainbow's eyes widened at that statement. The woman continued;

"I have personally selected drivers from all over the world, each one ranging from professional racers to those who are dying for a chance to prove themselves."

Rainbow spotted a silver key resting in the ignition slot, it's silver coat glistening in the sunlight.

"I'm looking for the greatest driver in the world!"

She turned the key and the engine block in the back roared to life.

"If that's you, then follow the map on the G.P.S. screen."

The image of the woman faded, replaced with a glowing blue map with a blinking red dot on it.

Rainbow felt herself grip the wheel determinedly, already knowing what she was about to do. And that, was claiming the title of being the fastest driver in the world.

Author's Note:

Alright, i'm starting back at the begining and working my way through these chapters to improve and fix them while hopefully relighting the fire that I have for this story. Don't worry, i've not forgotten about it, and am gonna make sure that this isn't simply a rewrite of the actual movie.