• Published 17th May 2019
  • 1,370 Views, 50 Comments

The World Race - TheIronPone035



Rainbow Dash found a strange car in front of her house with a message on the dashboard of a race like no other. Obviously, she chose to participate.

  • ...
3
 50
 1,370

Repairs And Teams

Starlight Glimmer wiped some sweat from her brow as she set down a wrench on the table next to her. She looked at the newly modified engine that she had put into her Chevy Nomad, admiring how much better it looked than the original. The new parts she had put into the stock engine seemed to shimmer in the light with the fresh polish sticking out against the faded silver of the block.

Starlight shut the hood of the car, letting it make a loud slam as it locked into place. The drivers had all parked outside the complex to either work on their cars or test out newly made additions they'd made. She was about to test drive her car herself to see how much she'd changed, but halted when she reached for the gearstick as Twilight's voice rang through the radio.

"All drivers report to the complex" Twilight ordered over the speakers, her tone flat and stern.

All the drivers quickly stopped what they were doing and either walked or drove into the complex, Starlight decided to simply drive into the main room and parked before the large rotating monitor. Twilight's face appeared on the screen, her glasses slightly masking her magenta eyes. She waited a few more minutes for all the drivers to gather around, before she cleared her throat.

"From now to the end of the World Race, you will be driving in teams of six." Twilight stated matter of factly.

Starlight heard Rainbow groan loudly at that, which earned the rainbow haired driver a glare from her. Honestly, what was so bad about being on a team?

"These teams will be lead by the following drivers; Applejack Apple, Rarity Paige Belle, Pinkamena Diane Pie, Rainbow Dash, and-" Twilight was cut off as a car horn rang through the room. A very loud car horn.

Several drivers looked around for the source of the horn and traced it to Crazy 8, who rev'd their massive engine. Whoever was driving that car must really want to keep their identity secret for some reason.

Twilight cleared her throat, causing the car to cut the excess revving, before she continued. "And Crazy 8. Please contact your teammates before the end of the day and inform me of your choices. Every member of the winning team will still receive five million dollars via a check."

To everyone's shock, the monitor shut off and a platform rose from a hole in the floor. On said platform was Twilight herself, a microphone in hand.

"And due to your expert driving and making it this far without backing down, I believe you have proven yourselves to know what really rests at the finish line of highway thirty five." Twilight exclaimed.

Everyone eyed the Sparkle industries owner, wondering what she was talking about. There questions were answered when the monitor flickered back on again, this time displaying an old rune with ancient symbols on it.

"This tablet was made by the same beings who created highway thirty five. I believe these ancient beings are called Accelerons, beings who loved to race." Twilight exclaimed. "One inscription in particular on the rune tells of a Wheel Of Power which is located at the end of the race. I want the fastest driver and there team to bring back this wheel." She finished.

Applejack and Rainbow Dash exchanged glances, before turning and heading towards their cars. Starlight walked over to Rainbow before she could get into her car, a subtle smug grin plastered on her face.

"So, guess your gonna have to be in a team after all." Starlight stated.

"Yeah yeah, you get a few people you know and trust while I get a few of mine." Rainbow instructed, before continuing to walk towards her car.

She got into the driver's seat before shutting the cabs front and sighing. She watched Starlight walk back towards her car before she brought up her phone from her left pocket and turned it on. She flipped through her contacts to see if any names struck her as a potential teammate, but none really stuck out.


Applejack drifted Roadrunner around a lone tree in the clearing, making sure that the trunk was always in front of her cars hood. She counted three more cycles around the tree before she hit the brakes and let her car come to a stop, the front facing the populated area right in front of the cube. However, before she could start driving around the tree again, she spotted a new car rolling up towards the other Smashers who'd been watching her.

The car also had the Smashers logo on it as well as the highway thirty five street sign plastered on it, signalling that it was both in the race and a part of her team. She drove over to where her team was and cut the ignition, shoving the door outwards as she exited her car.

As Applejack approached the new car, its driver also departed their vehicle. They were wearing a shocksuit with a few pins on it, their face masked by a tinted helmet. Once the two were right in front of each other, the driver removed their helmet and exchanged a grin with the leader, before they fist bumped.

"Glad ya could make it Caramel. Ah was wonder'n if ya'd would take up the challenge." Applejack said.

Caramel rolled his eyes. "You really think I would back out of a race?"

Applejack shrugged, before giving the man a playful slap on the shoulder. "Last time ah saw ya racing was with ah tractor from a herd of ox."

"Hey! It wasn't my fault the gate broke!"

"The bits of fence lodged in the back of the tractor say otherwise mister."

The two friends continued to catch up, being completely ignored by Rainbow, who walked past them and over to Starlight. She'd once again parked her Nomad outside and was doing some last minute tune ups, her car door shut to block out the muffled rumbles of engines as cars rolled past.

Rainbow knocked on the window and waited for Starlight to both notice her and roll it down before talking. "I found another teammate."

Rainbow took a large step to the left revealing a tall man with dark blue hair and light blue skin standing behind her. The man wore a blue jacket with a black shirt underneath and simple brown pants.

"The name's Soarin, nice to meet you." Soarin greeted.

"I'm Starlight Glimmer, welcome to the Prism Riders Soarin." Starlight responded, opening the door and getting out of the car. "Now we only need one more driver and we're all se- "

Starlight's words died in her throat as her eyes widened at the sight before her. She glanced back and forth between Rainbow and the object in question behind her. Both Rainbow and Soarin were quick to give her confused looks, before Starlight cleared up the confusion.

"isn't that your car Rainbow?"

Rainbow spun around just in time to see the Deora ll spin around a parked car, the wheels squealing as they kicked up dirt. Rainbow felt around her pants pockets, realizing the keys were missing.

"HEY! WHO'S THE FUNNY GUY WHO THINKS THEY CAN TAKE MY CAR!" Rainbow shouted at her car as it drove past her.

The Deora ll skitted a little as it turned sharply around and back over to the rainbow haired girl, before halting before her. The cars engine cut out and the front cab began to lift, exposing the driver behind the wheel.

"Alright, who's the funny guy who thinks..." She trailed off as a familiar set of purple eyes locked onto her magenta ones.

Starlight and Soarin approached Rainbow from behind, standing next to her as they both looking at the driver with confused glances.

"Who's the kid?" Starlight asked.

"Her name's Scootaloo," Rainbow Dash muttered, before walking up to the girl in the car.

'Scootaloo' had light orange skin and messy yet still styled purple hair. She was wearing a black jacket with a purple shirt underneath and blue pants that had a few rips scattered about from overuse. "Hey Rainbow Dash! Awesome ride you got!"

"Out of the car squirt, NOW!" Rainbow Dash barked.

Scootaloo's happy smile quickly faded and she quickly got out of the car. Rainbow extended her hand, looking at Scootaloo dead in the eyes. Scootaloo quickly dropped the Deora ll's keys in her idols hands, before fidgeting with her fingers.

"How old are you?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Um, fifteen?" Scootaloo answered.

"And how old do you have to be to drive?"

"Sixteen..." Scootaloo mumbled in annoyance. "Look! I got training with my scooter since I was eight! And I spent all week studying the Driver's Ed instruction manual! I know how to drive and I want to be on your team!" Scootaloo emphasized. "Not to mention my birthday is only two weeks away."

Rainbow looked around, before raising an eyebrow. "How did you even get here?"

"Uh..." Scootaloo repeated, trying to find the right words. "Got a ride!"

"From who?"

"Um, look, I just wanna be on your team! I won't disappoint you! Promise!"

"Pinkie Promise?" Pinkie's voice came out of nowhere, startling Scootaloo and Rainbow. The hyperactive girl popped out from behind the Deora ll, chuckling under her breath at the mini spook.

"What's a Pinkie promise?" Scootaloo asked.

"Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye." Pinkie said, making motions as she did. "You can't break them, trust me."

"Ookeeyy, cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!" Scootaloo repeated the words and motions in front of Rainbow, who facepalmed. She then looked at Scootaloo dead in the eyes once more.

"Listen Squirt. This isn't your normal quarter mile drag race, it's a race to see who's the best driver. I've already driven over lava and I don't want you falling into lava or worse." Rainbow Dash exclaimed, her tone serious.

"At least give me a chance! Wouldn't you do the same in my position." Scootaloo claimed.

Rainbow took a deep breath, before sighing. She new how much Scootaloo looked up to her, this included her adapting her style of stubbornness. Finally, she looked over at the complex.

"Get a car, prove to me you can handle it."

Scootaloo's eyes widened, before she jumped in the air. "YES! I won't let you down Rainbow Dash!"

With that in her spirit, Scootaloo dashed off towards the complex as fast as she could, leaving a worried group of Prism Riders in her dust.

"You really want her to drive underage in a race through dimensions?" Starlight questioned.

Rainbow audibly sighed again before she responded; "She's got guts, and does have skill. She reminds me of me, and I think she at least deserves a chance. Plus, if I said no, she'd probably follow us anyways." Rainbow exclaimed, already taking a seat in her freshly driven car.

She drove off towards an empty spot in the clearing without saying another word.

Author's Note:

Before everyone calls me out on the fact that Scootaloo should be younger, this isn't based off the canon EG series. The mane six never came together except Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash. Scootaloo's just slightly older.

Also, if your wondering how she got there, it involved a scooter, fireworks, rope, and a racer driving to the location. :scootangel:


New Teams:

Prism Chasers/Wave Rippers: Rainbow Dash, Starlight Glimmer, Soarin, Scootaloo, Lightning Bolt, Clear Sky, Summer Breeze
Smashers/Scorchers: Applejack, Sunset Shimmer, Burn'in Rubber, Caramel, Spitfire, Fire Streak, Snapshot
Candy Crushers/Roadbeasts: Pinkie Pie, Colgate, Maud Pie, Heavy Foot, Timber, Wisp, Rocky Roads
Thread Chasers/Street Breed: Rarity, Lime Shift, Green Jewel, Brittle Clicker, Octavia, Lily Valley, Slip Stream
Claw Crawlers/Dune Rats: Unknown, Shifter, Quick Trip, Charged Up, Red Rocket, Cloud Kicker, Sandy Scrolls

Normal = Custom - Slanted = Cannon