• Published 10th May 2019
  • 545 Views, 16 Comments

The Many Philosophical Musings of Gummy the Alligator - Ironskull



Gummy is a secretly a very thoughtful creature. He may not get into very many adventures of his own, but he has a very outgoing owner who is eager to share hers and those of her friends! This is what he thinks of those stories.

  • ...
0
 16
 545

What Use Is Irrationality? S1E6

“And that's why there was a giant star bear rampaging through the town!” cried Pinkie Pie. “Can you believe that Trixie would do such a thing?”

I thought you said that Snips and Snails brought it here.

“Oh, they did, but Trixie was still at the root of it!”

I see. You ask if I can believe that Trixie would do such a thing? In order to determine if it is believable, I must look at my expectations of her. My expectation based on what you told me is that she would assert superiority over others, a trait, coincidentally, I recently observed to be common amongst carnivores. Trixie is not a carnivore, but there are always exceptions. She may have changed her mind because of her recent hardship, but if she did, it was after the bear came into the town, and therefore does not factor into my expectations. I can easily believe that she would make up a story to make herself look better.

“Well... I guess so," admitted Pinkie. "But why does Trixie have to show off in the first place?”

I'm not sure. Possibly, she believes it serves to further an even deeper goal. Which brings us to wonder why she would have that other goal instead. But we cannot possibly answer that without knowing what the deeper goal is. Although, there may not be any deeper goal. It may be that exerting superiority is a goal for its own sake, which results in circular reasoning and is ultimately irrational. But it never-the-less might be a part of her nature.

“I guess so,” said Pinkie. “But, you know, figuring out what makes other ponies tick doesn't really help me to like them any more than I did before.”

I know. I suggest you focus your efforts elsewhere.”

“Yeah! Who needs Trixie?”

I thought you wanted to be friends with everyone. Why not Trixie?”

Pinkie gave Gummy a confused look. “Didn't you just tell me to forget about her?”

I suppose in a manner of speaking, I did. Perhaps it would be best after all. There are other friends to be made that are easier to make friends with.

“You're just trying to confuse me, aren't you, you silly!” declared Pinkie, who then began giggling.

“I am not trying to confuse you. The nature of existence is confusing you. And it is confusing me too. I'm not happy about it. If you ever figure out who I should complain to, please let me know.

“Well, I think it's for the best to forget about Trixie. I do wonder why she is the way that she is, but you are right, I don't actually have to find out the answer. Especially if I never see her again. For now, I've got friends to have fun with!”

Pinkie then turned around and left to go find her friends.

I suppose that is one way of looking at it. Of course, in my case, my own self-decided goal is to try to understand everything and everyone, so I'm afraid that I will not be able to stop myself from wondering why she did what she did.

Ultimately, it leads to frustration, just as it always does! Why must my questions all too often lead to nothing but frustration and unhappiness? Why do I insist on asking questions that make me unhappy? Yet another question that I frustratingly cannot answer. Reasoning is so good at determining the best way to achieve a goal, and yet, as this very dilemma is proving, it is not so good at determining the goal itself!

Either Trixie's reasons for doing what she does is circular reasoning, or it is for a greater purpose. But even though I do not know what that greater purpose might be, that other purpose is either itself circular reasoning, or else it too serves a greater purpose!

I am quite sure that there is not an infinite amount of space for thoughts in our heads, so there cannot be an infinitely long list of purposes that serve greater purposes, right? Therefore, the reasons must ultimately originate in circular reasoning sooner or later!

I am quite sure however that most goals are set by a creature's nature. But for a creature like myself who does not accept nature without reason, what reason then is there to do anything? I could decide to collect all of the knowledge in the world, but if I were to obtain it, what would I do with it? Without a goal, there is no reason to collect it! Even my own desire to be happy is ultimately derived from my own nature, despite obviously being a good thing!

But despite all of this, others do not appear to have any trouble setting goals at all! If I were to simply sit down and do nothing because there is no reason to do anything, and someone else does something without needing a reason, then because of my nature, I will be jealous that they achieve more than I do.

But then, maybe I should be seeing something in that very fact! Perhaps... because creatures have irrational natures... we SHOULD have irrational goals? After all, irrational doesn't have to mean bad. Parties are certainly irrational, but undeniably fun regardless.

But a reasonable creature can accomplish irrational goals faster than an irrational creature...

Perhaps I should freely accept irrational goals and yet seek them out using reason?

If I answer yes, it would be irrational. I will also, however, have determined an answer to a question for once, and that would make me very happy.

If I answer no, I would avoid an irrational decision. I will also be further frustrated for being unable to break the pattern of unanswered questions.

I think... I shall accept irrational goals. And then I can set rational goals that will help me achieve the irrational ones.

DON'T THINK ABOUT IT DON'T THINK ABOUT IT DON'T THINK ABOUT IT.

...

Well, I guess that wraps that up.

Hmm, that doesn't happen very often. I feel happy to have resolved something.

I guess on to the next question then? Yes, that seems reasonable.

What is the next question?

...

Nothing is coming to mind. Well, except for one thing. I could contemplate whether all of existence is merely an illusion...

But I don't really want to.

Then... Perhaps I should contemplate the desirability of chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry flavoring, in order of most to least desirable?

Yeah, why not?