• Published 5th Aug 2019
  • 1,311 Views, 44 Comments

My Little Pony: The Shadow Games - raven618



Twilight Sparkle. Bookworm, student of magic, general recluse. Can five mares and a card game break her out of her shell? Yes. Yes they can. Otherwise there would be no show.

  • ...
1
 44
 1,311

1:3 The Summer Sun Celebration

Friendship is Magic Part 1

The Summer Sun Celebration

Twilight and Pinkie Pie quickly made their way to another one of the large duel arenas. Twilight gave her deck a quick shuffle before setting it in place. “Ready, Twilight?” Pinkie asked from the other side of the field.

“Ready.” She replied.

Both mares drew their first fans, starting the game.

Duel Start
Pinkie Pie: LP 2000 VS Twilight Sparkle: LP 2000

“I challenged you, so you can make the first move!” Pinkie called out.

“Thank you.” Twilight looked at her fan, ‘When I dueled Rainbow Dash, I made a mistake by summoning a weak monster in attack mode on my first turn. Better play defensively instead.’ “I summon Basic Insect in defense mode.”

The monster on the field looked like a blend between an ant and a green grasshopper. Its forelimbs ended in clawed paws.

Basic Insect
Def: 700

“Aww, it’s so cute!” Pinkie Pie squealed. “My move!” She looked through her fan for awhile then choose her card, “I summon Burglar in attack mode!” Emerging on her field was a brown rat stood on its hind legs wearing pirate’s clothes. On its left arm sat a large metal glove armed with three metal claws.

Burglar
Atk: 850

“Burglar, attack her Insect! Thief’s claw!” The rat raised its giant claw and brought it down on Twilight’s Insect, destroying it in the same manner as a stained-glass window.

“My move!” Twilight drew, and was surprised to see, instead of the gold colored monsters she had become used to seeing, a teal green card. ‘That’s right, Duelists can power up their monsters using magic cards like spells and traps.’ She looked back at her fan, ‘Let’s test that concept.’ “I summon Saggi the Dark Clown in attack mode!”

On Twilight’s field emerged a blue earth pony in white clown make-up. A pointed hat covered half of its face and the half that could be seen was sad and frowning.

Saggi the Dark Clown
Atk: 600

Pinkie Pie’s monster remained still, while she looked quite baffled, “Um, Twilight? You might want to rethink that move.”

“No, I don’t. Because now I activate the spell card, Horn of the Unicorn!” Twilight placed the card on the square behind her monster. On the card’s artwork was a gold Unicorn horn. “Now my monster is stronger than yours.”

Saggi the Dark Clown
Atk: 600 -> 1300

“Saggi! Destroy her monster!” The Dark Clown’s hat shifted revealing the wicked grin on the other side of its face. It raised its hooves and launches a sphere of black energy at Burglar. The rat illusion was sucked into a black hole.

Pinkie Pie LP: 2000 -> 1550

“And just like that, almost a quarter of your life points are gone in one move. Magic Cards, definitely a worthwhile investment.”

“I’m glad you think so.” Pinkie Pie said, drawing her next card, “Because I’ve got a spell card for you, Burden of the Mighty. Now all your monsters will lose attack points equal to their level times a hundred.”

Saggi the Dark Clown
Lv. 3
Atk: 1300 -> 1000

“Now I summon, Amazoness Sage.” Pinkie’s new monster was a tan coated Earth Pony mare with a blue mane. A shawl of feathers and rough cloth covered her withers. In her hooves was a wooden staff decorated with more feathers and bits of shell.

Amazoness Sage
Atk: 1400

“Sage! Attack Saggi the Dark Clown! Jungle chant!” Her monster began shaking its staff in a rhythmic fashion. For seemingly no reason, Saggi exploded.

Twilight Sparkle LP: 2000 -> 1600

“When Horn of the Unicorn is sent to the discard pile, I return it to the top of my deck instead.”

“Oh good, that’s that rebicycling thing I keep hearing about isn’t it?”

“Uh, sure?” Twilight said as she drew her next card, which of course was Horn of the Unicorn. ‘I can’t let this pony win, otherwise she’ll blab to the whole town that Nightmare Moon is coming back, and then the Princess will have to deal with the panic, and if she’s busy dealing with the panic, she won’t be able to stop Nightmare Moon.’ And that was ignoring the question of if Princess Celestia even could stop Nightmare Moon. ‘I have to stall for time. And I think I know how.’

“I summon Witch of the Black Forest in attack mode.”

A Pegasii mare in dark robes appeared on Twilight’s field. Beneath her purple mane, a third eye could be seen where a Unicorn’s horn would be. Unlike Twilight’s other monster cards, which had a gold outline, this one was decorated with a bronze design. ‘Meaning it has a special ability.’

Witch of the Black Forest
Lv. 4
Atk: 1100 -> 700

“That ends my turn.” ‘Come on, take the bait.’

“My move, I set a monster face down in defense mode.” The face-down appeared next to her other monster. “And Amazoness Sage attacks Witch of the Black Forest. Jungle chant!” Once again, Twilight’s monster was destroyed.

Twilight Sparkle LP: 1600 -> 900

“When Witch of the Black Forest is destroyed, its ability activates. I can now add one monster from my deck to my fan, as long as it has one thousand five hundred defense points or less.” She did so, then shuffled her deck as the card instructed. ‘The card I chose was Kabazauls. After factoring in Pinkie’s Burden of the Mighty and my Horn of the Unicorn, it will have two thousand attack points. That should be enough to deal with any of her monsters.’

“I end my turn.” Pinkie Pie declared.

“I draw.” Twilight stared at the card she drew in disbelief; it was even better than Kabazauls. “I summon, Dark Magician in attack mode!” just as in her duel against Rainbow Dash, the blue armored unicorn emerged onto Twilight’s field, its staff held high.

Dark Magician
Lv. 7
Atk: 2500 -> 1800

“And don’t think I’ve forgotten about your spell card. Remember this?” Twilight played Horn of the Unicorn again, restoring her monster’s attack points.

Dark Magician
Atk: 1800 -> 2500

“Now I’ll attack your Sage with my Magician!” The illusionary Unicorn lowered its staff towards the tribal shaman, whose colors were inverted before she exploded into card fragments.

Pinkie Pie LP: 1550 -> 450

“I end my turn.”

“WOWEE!” Pinkie exclaimed, “Talk about a comeback! You’ve definitely got what it takes to be a great duelist Twilight!”

That gave Twilight pause. The thought of her continuing to play this game after this whole thing was over, ‘No. This is just a means to an end. Like those social dinners the nobles have. It’s just a way to get what they- what I want.’

“My move!” Pinkie’s voice brought her back to the moment. “I switch my monster from face-down to face-up defense mode.” The card on her field vanished, her monster materializing in its place. It was a young Earth Pony colt, dressed in a dusty tan robe. In his hoof was a short staff topped with a bird’s skull and ram horns. Certainly, a disturbing monster to look at.

Dharc the Dark Charmer
Def: 1500

“Dharc the Dark Charmer’s flip ability activates. That’s an ability that only works when the monster goes from face-down to face-up position.”

“Yeah, I got that.” Twilight said sarcastically, “What’s the ability?”

“I get to take control of a dark attribute monster on your field.”

“What!?”

The eyes of the skull on Pinkie’s monster’s staff started glowing a dark purple color. And Twilight’s Dark Magician floated over from her side of the field to Pinkie’s.

“And since he’s not on your field any more, Burden of the Mighty isn’t weighing him down any more. And he’s still got that Horn of the Unicorn equipped so…”

Dark Magician
Atk: 2500 -> 3200

What had once been an ace in the hole had suddenly become a very dangerous enemy.

“I end my turn.”

“I draw.” Twilight managed to get out, weakly. ‘What could possibly save me now?’ She looked at the card she drew. “That’ll work. I play the spell card, Swords of Revealing Light.” Both the Dark Charmer and Dark Magician were suddenly surrounded by swords made of shining light. “For the next three turns, your monsters can’t attack. And I summon Kabazauls in attack mode.” The giant pink hippopotamus opened its mouth in a giant-sized yawn as it took the field.

Kabazauls
Lv. 4
Atk: 1700 -> 1300

“That ends my turn.” ‘Three turns, that’s all I have to find a way beat my Dark Magician. Or…’ a smirk traced across her face, ‘the monster controlling my Dark Magician.’ Her current monster was too weak, but if she could find a way to make it stronger or at least get rid of that spell that was weakening it, she might have a chance.

“My draw,” Pinkie said. “You played a good game, Twilight, but I’m afraid that this is where it ends. I play the magic card, Polymirization!” On the field appeared a swirling blue and green vortex. “This is a special card that lets me fuse the two monsters in my fan into one. A fusion monster!” She selected two cards, “Masaki the Legendary Swordsman, and Flame Manipulator;” All Twilight could see was a Unicorn and a Pegasus in armor before they were pulled into the vortex. “combine to form, Flame Swordspony!”

The vortex dissipated to reveal a singular pony standing there. It was a Unicorn stallion, armed with a large orange broadsword with a symbol engraved on the side which looked like two campfires. What was truly worrying was that it stood outside the glowing swords that were preventing her other monsters from attacking.

Flame Swordspony
Atk: 1800

“But wait, there’s more! I also equip him with the spell card, Salamandra, boosting his fire by seven hundred points.”

Flame Swordspony
Atk: 1800 -> 2500

“Swordspony! Attack!” The warrior charged across the field, its blade catching fire as it ran, and plunged the weapon into Kabazauls hide, shattering it.

Twilight Sparkle LP: 900 -> 0

“Ya-Hoo!” Pinkie cheered, “Thanks for the great duel, Twilight!”

“You’re welcome.” Twilight said as she returned the deck to her saddle bags. This looked like a good time to sneak away before-

“Didn’t we have some kind of a bet made? Oh yeah, you were going to tell me that secret you were hiding.” -that happened. Twilight sighed in defeat, then looked around the area, it looked like everypony had left for the town hall and the Celebration. Nevertheless, she beckoned Pinkie to her side of the field and when she spoke, it was in a whisper.

“This morning, I was reading through this book I found,” she pulled the book out of her saddlebags, “Majesty, Megan, Mare in the Moon and Other Myths. In it is the story of how a thousand years ago, Princess Celestia defeated an evil Pony who wanted to make the night time eternal.”

“Wow, what does that mean?”

“It means she wanted to make it always night.”

“What? But then everything would freeze. Owls would deafen us with their incessant hooting. The town sundial would be useless.”

“… I’m glad you realize how serious this is. The point is, Princess Celestia stopped her a thousand years ago with the Elements of Harmony I mentioned earlier. But then, I found this.” She pulled the second book out of her bag.

Predictions and Prophecies.”

“Read the entry for Mare in the Moon.”

Pinkie Pie started flipping through the pages, “Lady of the Lake, Mare in the Mirror, Mare in the Moon. Let’s see…Myth…rule Equestria…Elements of Harmony…thousandth- ‘On the longest day of the thousandth year the stars will aid in her escape and she will bring about nighttime eternal.’ You think this Nightmare Moon meanie is coming back?”

“Yes.” It was weird, here she was telling a perfect stranger about this and she felt like this huge weight had been lifted from her shoulders. “I tried to tell Princess Celestia about it, but she just laughed and told me to supervise the Summer Sun Celebration and make some friends.”

“I may be the best party planner in Ponyville, but even I know the end of the world is no time to have a party.” Pinkie looked at her, “Why didn’t you tell anyone about this earlier?”

“I was worried if I did, then ponies would start to panic.”

“You’re right there. A few days ago, a flock of crows landed in town, and everyone was saying that someone had been murdered. It was crazy.”

“Anyway, that’s why I need to get to the library, so I can find out what these Elements of Harmony are and how to use them.”

“Then what are we waiting for?” She grabbed Twilight’s hoof and they started galloping through the empty streets. “To the library!”
= = =
“And here we are, the Golden Oaks Library!” Twilight was stunned. The ‘library’ was built into a living tree.

“Incredible. This is a genuine Earth Pony Oakenshield home. This must be over a hundred years old, a historical treasure.”

“Uh, Twilight? You’re drooling.”

She quickly wiped her mouth. “Sorry. Now, lets go find that book. In the real, living, Oakenshield home.” Twilight was giddy with excitement. But she had to contain it, the fate of the world was on her shoulders.

The inside of the library was exactly as she expected it to be. Smooth livingwood floor, the walls lined with alcoves lined with books upon books. Apart from the electric lights, there was nothing artificial about the building, pure magic and nature.

“Hello? Is anyone there?”

“Who are you talking to?” Pinkie asked.

“I’m trying to find the librarian.”

“His name was Book Binding, and he moved away about two years ago.”

“Then, who’s the librarian now?”

“No one.”

“NO ONE!?” Twilight was shocked. “Then how do ponies check out books?”

“Check out books?”

“Take them home to read?

“You can take library books home!?”

“…The ponies in this town are crazy. Okay, you look in the history section, and I’ll look in the magic section.”

“Aye-Aye, Captain.” Pinkie gave a quick salute before hopping over to the selves. Twilight went over to the magic section. Or, what should have been the magic section, if it had been maintained, but the two years without a librarian had apparently taken its toll on the organization of the books. Between a basic spell-book and a book on magical flowers was Daring Do and the Griffon’s Goblet. “Twilight!” Pinkie called out, “Are there supposed to be cookbooks in the history section?”

“No. Just keep looking for anything that might contain information on the Elements of Harmony or the Mare in the Moon.” She looked at the clock, only five hours left before Nightmare Moon was supposed to return. “I hope it is just an old story.”
= = =
In town hall, the Summer Sun Celebration was in full swing. The sun had gone down, and Ponies were dancing the night away as Fluttershy’s birds sang from the balcony. One pair of dancers was a light green Unicorn mare and a pale-yellow Earth Pony mare.

“What did you say your name was?” The Unicorn asked.

“Bon Bon. I just moved in yesterday.” Bon Bon replied. “Ponyville is a very, different town.”

“That’s what makes it home. I’m Lyra by the way.”

On the other side of the dance floor were the wealthier visitors from Canterlot, keeping their distance from the common riffraff. One of them, a yellow Unicorn mare, found herself striking up a conversation with Upper Crust, a stallion well known for his connections within the fashion industry.

“My marriage was ruined by something really stupid.” She said, mournfully.

“Really, what was it?”

“My husband.”

Back on the dance floor, a brown Earth Pony stallion was watching a group of young fillies and colts dancing together. He turned to the grey Pegasus next to him. “You say that’s your filly?” He pointed out a young filly who bore a strong resemblance to the mare. “How could you have a daughter that age?”

“I didn’t. When I had her she was just a baby.”

A little ways away, Minuet and her friends were chatting with Rarity.

“I must say, darlings, you wear the soft curl style well.” She said. “My little sister has been trying to get her mane to look like that, but she keeps coming out looking like a circus clown.”

“Yeah,” Twinkleshine said, patting her coiffure, “it is really hard to get your mane this soft and puffy. I could show her how if you like.”

“Oh, I’m sure she would love the help.” The group was then approached by Moondancer and Spike. “Hello Moondancer, and hello to you Spike.” The Dragon was once again enamored. “Where is your friend Twilight and Pinkie Pie?”

“After we finished with the preparations, they went off towards the local library.”

“Well, I guess we won’t be seeing her again tonight.” Twinkleshine sighed, “There is no way to drag that pony away from her studies.”

“Really? I would have said the same about Pinkie and parties.”

All conversation and dancing came to a standstill as a chorus of trumpets and bird calls filled the building. “Excuse me.” Rarity said before dashing off. A spotlight traveled down the end of the room before stopping over an older brown Earth Pony mare.

“Fillies and gentlecolts!” Mayor Mare proclaimed, “As mayor of Ponyville, it is my great pleasure to announce the beginning of the Summer Sun Celebration!” A great cheer erupted from the local ponies present, while a polite clapping could be heard from the wealthier side of the crowd. “In just a few moments, our town will witness the magic of the sunrise, and celebrate this, the longest day of the year! And now, it is my great honor to introduce to you, the ruler of our land, the very pony who gives us the sun and the moon each and every day, the good, the wise, the bringer of harmony to all of Equestria, Princess Celestia!”

Rarity pulled back the curtain on the upper balcony as Fluttershy’s birds sang another fanfare. Only for all to see nothing but an empty balcony with no princess. Confused whispers became heard from the townsfolk. “Remain calm everypony,” The mayor said, somewhat nervously, “There must be a reasonable explanation.”

“Is the Princess hiding?” a young filly in a pink bow asked Applejack.

“I don’t know Apple Bloom, I don’t know.”

Rarity stepped out onto the balcony, “She’s gone!” Now the whispering became more worried and vocal. That worry only escalated as a dark blue fog specked with stars began billowing up on the balcony.

The fog grew wider and taller, before splitting apart into two revealing a pony wearing the fog as their mane and tail. Her fur was black as night, and she wore an indigo helmet over her head and a matching breastplate with a gold eye design in the center. Her eyes were a dark blue and cut like snake’s eye. Her cutie mark was an off-white crescent moon over a purple cloud-like blemish. Alarmingly, she stood as tall as Celestia with a horn sharp as a blade and giant wings spread wide making her look even bigger.

The room fell perfectly silent as the mystery mare began to speak. “Oh, my beloved subjects, it’s been so long since I’ve seen your precious little sun loving faces.” She spat out ‘sun loving’ like it was something vile.

“What did you do with our Princess?” Rainbow Dash shouted. She began to fly forwards at the intruder but was stopped as Applejack grabbed her rainbow tail in her mouth.

“Woah there, Nelly” She mumbled through the hair.

The dark mare chuckled a very cold chuckle, “Why, am I not royal enough for you? Don’t you know who I am!?” She moved towards the balcony where Fluttershy was set up, “Does my crown no longer count that I’ve been imprisoned for a thousand years?”

‘Crown? Imprisoned for a thousand years? What is she talking about?’ Rarity thought to herself but froze when the stranger began addressing her, giving the Unicorn a good look at her sharp, pointed teeth. “Did you not recall the legend?” her chin was grabbed and flicked by the intruder’s ghostly mane, “Did you not see the signs?” She then turned to the crowd, as if expecting somepony to speak up.

“No? How unfortunate. Then I shall tell you; I am the true Queen of the Night, Nightmare Moon!” She pointed out the window where the ponies could see the mare in the moon had vanished, leaving only the white disk. Which was rising higher into the sky. “And I hope you remember this day, little ponies, for it was your last. From this moment forth, the night will last forever.” After which she started laughing evilly, as the gathered ponies could only look on in horror.

To Be Continued...