• Published 3rd Jun 2019
  • 2,639 Views, 38 Comments

Equestria Lost: Dragons beyond time - Tythen



Adagio Dazzle had been spotted by her enemies. While trying to shake them off her tail, she inadvertently brought them to her homestay: A land full of Untold History, Adventurers, Paintings, and Dragons... Dragons? In this side of Equestria??

  • ...
3
 38
 2,639

The Child and the ???: Part 2

"Keep running! Don't look back!" Cleo shouted, "We're almost there!"

"Come on Adagio!" Sweetie rallied, pulling the depowered dazzling with a hand, "We both don't want to end up as Fiend chow!"

"I'm trying! I'm trying!" Adagio moaned, making little but rapid steps as much as her tight shorts could allow, "Do you know how hard it is to run when your waist and hips are restricted by pressure!?"

"We won't have to do that anymore. We're finally here!" Cleo announced with relief.

The three girls finally put the brakes till they stopped in sight of a large and irregular group of stacks clumped together, with water pouring down from its edges. The path between the two was populated by an army of puffed up and ribbiting frogs.

"Look at those jagged rocks nearby! And the cliffs around the stacks!" Sweetie pointed, "Those things look like they've been used as whetstones or something bigger! And... It looks unnatural!"

"As I said," Cleo answered, breathing heavily "This entire area is ravaged. The area we are standing on used to be land as high as the cliffs you see. However, a conflict long time ago had crushed it into rubble, leaving behind all these irregular scars on the cliffs, and this bulky tall mound of rock stack with waterfalls. That's where the Waterwyrm lives."

"Either way, we need to seek refuge before those fiends come here!" Adagio yelled and started her march towards the stack, spurring the frogs to leap into the waters. The path to the stack led her to a small square field in front of an extremely wide waterfall pouring down it. Etching closer, she could see that there were a large set of stepping stones that was leading into the waterfall, which gives her the answer of how a dragon could live in a structure like this... And the frustration.

"Wonderful..." Adagio grumbled, "The Waterwyrm's lair is blocked off by a damn waterfall."

"Then why don't we knock!?" Sweetie suggested, catching up, "It's a way to get the Waterwyrm's attention!"

"You kidding?" Adagio spat, "This is a waterfall!!! How can we knock!?"

"I mean the process of letting the Dragon on the other side of the door know..." Sweetie rolled her eyes over semantics. "Like this..." Though panicked and desperate to find a safe place, she courageously stepped forward in front of Adagio and yelled, "Excuse me! Ms Mercury? We're being chased by really powerful fiends!!! Can you let us in for safety? Pretty please!!! I'll be sure to pay you back!"

"Wow..." Adagio shook her head in embarrassment, "What a child. We're doomed."

But the Siren couldn't be more wrong. A few seconds after her snide disappointment, the obstructive waterfall began to thin and shrink. The three watched as the wide wall of water became a thin little pillar, then into a constant stream of droplets, and finally nothing. The waterfall no longer blocked the path of stepping stones and revealed a cave opening fit for a large dragon.

Sweetie smiled smugly. Adagio glared back, yet her hostility could not obscure her own red cheeks.

"Enough gloating you two!" Cleo grabbed the two by their shoulders and ran in.


Around the cave, there were formations of stalagmites and stalactites scattered around the ends of the cave. Their path, however, was paved with smooth sand and gravel all the way to the middle of the rocky shelter, where it was a big circular plot of land similar in size to the Windwyrms's Den. Some parts of the cave were eroded into holes, where water can be seen falling down, albeit it different waterfalls than the one that just stopped. Just as the three were gazing at the eroded holes, they turned around to see that the waterfall that blocked their way has resumed its loud downpour obscuring the outside world from view. The girls now have a safe place to hide, except for one issue.

"The Waterwyrm's not here." Cleo addressed, "Perhaps next time we see her, we should say thank you..."

"Hey, Adagio!" Sweetie spoke, "Your chest! It's no longer smoking!"

"I'm sorry, WHAT did you just say!?" Adagio roared out of insult. The young girl said nothing but pointed to the Dazzling's heart.

"Oh! The light!" Adagio remembered. Following the finger, Adagio could verify that the stains indeed were no longer expelling those fumes. Bit by bit, it crumbled away, until nothing of that ominous bile covered the white light. Once that was done, the light emitted gales of green which wrapped around every hair and skin of the siren as tightly as ever. After three seconds, the wind cocoon burst into shreds, transforming Adagio back to her bunny-eared identity.

"Oof! Sweet relief!" Francesca smiled, feeling her hips and waist no longer restrained by the tight shorts and shirt of hers.

"That is a big relief," Cleo corrected, "Things would have been very severe if your curse... I mean affliction was to persist until it can be undone by force. Turns out that will naturally leave over time."

"Curses?" Sweetie asked, "Isn't that a curse already?"

"Curses are one of the eight regular afflictions," Cleo explained, "At worst, they bind to any soldier's mana and prevents them from executing or building up their skills."

"What? That doesn't sound dangerous at all!" Sweetie moaned,

"It may sound like a nuisance, but it poses a threat when we least expect it." Cleo warned, "That being said, only fiends attuned to the Shadow Element can cause this particular affliction, and most adventurers have developed resistance against it."

"That's the lamest affliction ever!" Sweetie burst into laughter.

"Then the other seven are just as lame. All adventurers in the Halidom have at least one resistance to an affliction." Francesca raised her shoulders, "I have resistance from getting bogged down, unlike Cleo," She smirked, "She was so slow that she became a sitting duck for so many hounds and basilisks!"

"Yes," Cleo glared her no-nonsense glare, "As I said, it proves a threat. Need I remind you of the time during the battle with the Red Shroom?"

Francesca stopped grinning immediately.

"Speaking of reminders," Sweetie pulled out a familiar hat, "It pains to see your bunny ears exposed to air. I managed to pick it up before we ran."

"Thanks. And speaking of reminders!" Francesca scoffed, snatching her hat and fitting it over her ears and hair, "Watch your phrasing when you address me brat! I may be a Siren, but even I have feelings too!"

"In any case, we can rest," Cleo concluded, plopping her behind to the ground. Adagio, as usual, trotted around the cave on her own, while Sweetie joined Cleo and huddled up next to her.

"Ms Cleo..." Sweetie tugged, "do you think the Dragons will still be mad if they saw me? Even if you were their ally?"

Cleo closed her eyes, "I wish I knew what the Dragons were thinking about today... Perhaps I may be wrong about them not being hostile."

"What do you mean?" Sweetie's brows bent upwards and she tilted her head,

"I'm sorry Sweetie." Cleo apologised, "I shouldn't have made the promise about taking you to Mercury..."

"Why's that?" Sweetie asked, "If you ask me, you've fulfilled it! We're in her home right now, and she might not be far off..."

"That's the point," Cleo spoke forlornly, "It has been so many years, and all of humanity has reverted back to their ancient ways and successfully fulfiled their ambitious utopia. The Dragons would never take kindly to that, especially when she almost lost her life to someone so deceitful."

"In that case... Wouldn't we be dead by now?" Sweetie asked, "I'm sure things that lead to all those skyscrapers and phones had angered Dragons someway or other... But wouldn't they strike already?"

"Yes... I fear we may see the ancient war repeated all over again." Cleo nodded,

"I don't believe that Ms Cleo," Sweetie stated, clutching Cleo's arm, "I'm sure they've become peaceful."

"Um..." Something went down Cleo's throat, "I'm not sure it's wise to assume a Dragon's intentions."

"But that's what you did too! Talking about Dragons threatening humans!" Sweetie countered,

"What I speak of was true history leading to the first sealing war." Cleo justified, "Historical facts."

"Same here!" Sweetie raised her voice, "I'm using the history with Prince Euden and you!"

Cleo jumped back. It was a surprising statement that she never would have considered,

"You haven't forgotten about the times with Prince Euden and your allies... Did you?" Sweetie explained, "He went and made pacts with Dragons. I'm sure he had to make some promises to do that."

"... Yes," Cleo nodded, "Mercury is a Dragon from the Sea, and her issue with the humans was that they had threatened her home, as well as all aquatic life."

"Figures," Sweetie nodded, "So Euden promises to protect the seas, very noble. In that case, all the more for the dragons to not raise their fist-- er claws against them! There are so MANY advertisements about organisations devoted to saving the sea you know? Even campaigns and protests too!"

"... I haven't," Cleo shook her head,

"You didn't!?" Sweetie jumped into confusion, "Oh! Maybe because that was on TV! My bad! But yeah. So many people want to protect the forest, the trees, the wildlife. They're super annoying, but that could convince Mercury that even humans today are willing to protect the seas. In fact, I'd do it too now that I know of her!"

"I see." Cleo nodded, "but that's only for Mercury. What about the other Dragons? They have other issues that humanity may not sympathise with!"

"Then how about this... Has any dragon whined when Euden was still alive?" Sweetie asked,

"No," Cleo shook his head, "In fact, almost all the Pactbound Dragons love him!"

"I know Dragons live forever, and surely they'd get angry when there are things that they hold so dear are harmed or taken away. But surely spending their time with a loving person like Euden would have restored some faith in humanity for them; perhaps they won't resort to another war, even if some humans were in the wrong for breaking their promise!" Sweetie explained,

Cleo responded with nothing, but still looked unconvinced.

"... Alright then. That's as much history and puzzle piecing I can do..." Sweetie slumped down, "All the other things I can talk about is 'in my opinion'."

"It was painful when the Prince and everyone that I cared for passed away, the same went for the Dragons." Cleo sighed, "True, you could say they have died peacefully, but it couldn't be any more painful for us to lose them."

"Ms Cleo..." Sweetie sighed, "How long has it been when your friends... Died?"

"Between Alberius and Euden was about three hundred years. From Euden to now? I... Can't remember... I'm sorry."

"Hmm..." Sweetie stood up, "maybe I'll find some water for the two of us to drink. We should have packed before we took off."

"Good luck trying brat," Francesca hopped out from behind a stalagmite, "You've got many things that will prevent you from doing that. If you still want to quench your thirst, why don't you be my guest and stick your mouth into the waterfall we just passed through?"

"What is with you!?" Sweetie spoke angrily, "Why are you being such a sour jerk!? Unless... You've been eavesdropping on us, and you got upset because I made Ms Cleo sad?"

"Yes, I eavesdropped, but her frowning isn't my problem." Francesca confessed, "Being 'friendly' isn't something I'm fond of, to be honest." She rubbed her nose, "Of course, Aria and Sonata are a different story since the three of us are sirens."

"But-- Hmm..." A perturbing thought struck Sweetie's Mind, "Now that you mentioned Sirens, I want to know more about them, aside from being able to play with our emotions."

"Why should I?" Francesca growled,

"We helped you protect the Halidom by giving you two helping hands and a shiny new weapon." Sweetie reasoned, "And I really don't know anything else except that you guys aren't human."

"... Fine." Francesca growled in humiliation, "But that makes us even, including your sister and the other two!"

"Deal!" Sweetie smiled,

"Alright then," The merchant coughed, "Let's start off with the obvious. I'm not from this dimension and this form of mine isn't my true form. Got banished from my own world for absorbing the negativity of ponies to fuel our dark magic and conquer the world, kind of like what happened with the Battle of the Bands."

"Alright then," Sweetie nodded in understanding, "So you have a different form in the Pony Dimension?"

"Yes," Francesca nodded, "Though if you would make a comparison, you'd like my human form better. I'm like a sea serpent with hooves as arms, take that as you will."

"Agreed the moment you mentioned sea serpent," Sweetie snapped. "But what about down-to-ground things? Like your favourite food?"

"Actual physical food?" Francesca thought hard, "Well fast food's not that bad, and I do enjoy Cleo's cooking. Now that I think about it!" She snapped her fingers, "There's this Neighponese Cuisine! It's those fried octopus balls!"

"Uh... Eww?" Sweetie cringed,

"I don't mean that literally!" Francesca frantically panicked, "It's like... Sliced octopus that's fried, mixed and marinated with ginger and vegetables, then stuffed into a bread-like ball, and decorated with sauce, mayonnaise and spring onions!"

"Okay, that's a better picture," Sweetie accepted, "Perhaps you should work on phrasing!"

"Shut up," Francesca snapped at the remark, "Oh and whatever I eat, I always love some carrot juice to go with it!"

"That's cool!" Sweetie smiled, "Do you want to know something? Your likes and dislikes are just as cool as what you can do as a siren."

"Really? And why's that?"

"Well..." Sweetie thought calmly, "Food and hobbies are something I'm familiar with than Sirens and Magic. I mean, the only thing I know about magic is that Rarity and her best friends are capable of doing that and we're connected to the dimension where Sunset comes from!"

"Wait... Did you just say that the two dimensions are connected?" Francesca froze,

"Yeah! At least that's what Applebloom and Scootaloo told me from their sister and number one fan. Rarity never tells me about that sort of stuff."

"Sweetie, I will love you forever if you tell me where that gateway is!" Francesca grabbed Sweetie by the shoulder. The child teenager was pretty shocked, but after processing the words, she narrowed her eyes with an idea.

"Only Rarity can give me love that satisfies," Sweetie negotiated, "I'll need something more from you."

"Uh... Ooh! I can... I can try to teach you magic!" Francesca offered, "And not just any old magic from Equestria or Grastaea. I'll teach you my own magic!"

"Really!?" Sweetie gasped,

"Of course, I'll have to get that magic back first..." Francesca chuckled while secretly hiding a hand, "One way or another. Do we have a deal?" She stretched out one hand, while slowly wrapping her index finger around the middle with her hidden hand.

"Deal? Not at all!" Sweetie declined, "It's a Promise!!!"

"What?" Francesca jumped, pausing her fingers.

"Ms Cleo wanted me to help you sing again, as well as help you not be such a power-crazed monster," Sweetie chuckled, "But with a generous offer just for me? A deal doesn't cut it! I'll make a promise instead! I'll help you find your voice!"

"Then it's a promise!" Francesca beamed, relenting her hidden fingers immediately. The two girls looked at each other eye-to-eye, then laughed and chuckled to seal their respective promise.

"I was about to double-cross her," Adagio pondered, "And yet I end up giving more to her? Don't tell me because she was being nice to me... And maybe..."

"Adagio? Can you hear me?" Sweetie called, waving her hand in the Merchant's eyes.

"Oh!" Francesca jumped, "Sorry!!! I was just lost in thoughts..."

"At least you weren't all alone huh?" Sweetie joked,

"Yeah..." Francesca coughed, "Great, now I'M getting thirsty after talking!!!"

"Say I believe your first remark. How hard is it to get water here?"

"Streams that go into this cave is far below the place we're standing on. The stalagmites prevent us from reaching the edge, and we don't have anything to carry water in the first place."

"Phooey... If Mercury were here, I'd be happy to ask for some water," She raised her head with a big yawn.

Just after that statement, a short line of water dropped out of nowhere from above and directly into the child's mouth. Through the lips, and straight down her throat without a single stray droplet, a perfect dive.

"Ulp!" Sweetie swallowed instinctively, "What the!?"

"Sweetie!" Francesca rushed over, "are you okay?"

"I'm..." Sweetie felt her throat, "I'm fine! The water didn't go through my windpipe, somehow..."

"That's great." Francesca sighed, "Rarity would kill me and Cleo if you choke from what you wanted."

"Wait..." Sweetie held out her hand, "Water is-- was what I wanted! You said that we can't reach the water on the ground right?"

"Yeah," Francesca slowly went along, "But what happened was that I saw water fall from above, so I'm guessing it came from the top."

"Wait!" Sweetie gasped, "Then that really means--"

"You two!" A voice of panic and despair came rushing towards the two, "We've got a problem! The waterfall hiding us had just stopped!"

"Please don't tell me it's those three..." Francesca pleaded just as a ghastly black miasma swept through the trio, running them over.

"Oof!" Francesca's waist tightened, her legs choked, and her hat shot off.

"I think that's our answer!" Sweetie yelled, fanning away the vanishing toxin. Adagio was found where Francesca was standing and wearing the most unfitting clothing in the metaphorical and literal senses. Regardless, three unwelcome visitors with auras as black as death crept forward, bearing their thirsty fangs (or club) to their three runners.

"Interesting," Cleo looked around her body, "My powers don't seem to be sabotaged,"

"I don't feel anything either," Sweetie added, "Perhaps it only affects Adagio only, or perhaps people who are wearing the essences!"

"Oh, that's not fair!!!" Adagio raged, "How in the hell can these brain dead fiends counter these powers!?"

"Hey," Sweetie suggested, "From fighting as Francesca, can you do that as your normal self?"

"Hell no!" Adagio protested, "I will admit that I have inherited some muscle memory, but I don't know if my own strength is capable of striking them down. Plus if I get hit by those things..." A bead fell from her face, "... I'll end up bleeding and screaming. Just like Flash."

"Alright then," Cleo stepped forward, her staff at the ready, "Then it's my responsibility to see us through!"

"One healer against three menacing fiends!?" Adagio raised her voice, "You're outclassed in every way!"

"You know fully well as I do that it's the only thing we have!" Cleo retorted,

"I know that!" Adagio yelled, "It's just... It's just... You can't die!!! There are so many people and places that need you!"

"The safety of both of you is my highest priority." Cleo addressed, "Tell me, what would you do if you and the helpless are cornered and outnumbered, but you're the only one capable of fighting?"

"Screw them!" Adagio shouted, "I'd rather save my--" Adagio cut her sentence midway. A small suspicion pushed her, but she shook it off.

"My..." She tried again, but something caught her throat. Her eyes darted from side to side to see the healer and the child.

"My..." Her voice mellowed, her harshness quelled, her eyes drooped.

"Adagio? Are you alright?" Sweetie edged closer.

Adagio did not repeat herself. Instead; she collapsed to her knees as tears poured down her face.

"I can't... I CAN'T!" Adagio sobbed hiding her eyes, "I can't bring myself to say it."

"Hey, Adagio..." Sweetie wrapped her arms around her, "It's okay... Ms Cleo, what happened?"

"She and I share the pain of loss," Cleo responded, "I'm sure you recall Aria and Sonata? Adagio's sisters?"

"Oh, that's right..." Sweetie remembered, "You really do care for Adagio. To be honest, I'd find it hard to do that after what she's done to me."

"The compassion of His Highness is not something to scoff at. He gave people a second chance, to turn over a new leaf, while still accepting their dignity. I only realised how important this acceptance is after his passing." Cleo paused, "Every single detestable adventurer, I grew to respect then love and care over time. Now, I have lost all of them, twice. I beg your forgiveness for my avarice, but I won't let that happen a third time. I will gladly give my life if it means the two of you can escape!" She closed her eyes and clutched her staff with both hands. "Grant me the power once more... Please allow me to regain the strength I lost!!!"

"Ms Cleo! Dodge!" Sweetie exclaimed. Opening her eyes, a large brown club flew towards her, dangerously spinning with precise accuracy. The Belle Healer only flashed a defeated look before she took flight. Sweetie watched with a similar face as Cleo landed with a loud thump, sliding and rolling across the cavern's sands.

"No..." Cleo spat, her face and hair all covered in grit, "... I said I won't fail a third time..." She hoisted herself back up, "... I'll protect those I care for. Alone if I have to!"

"No..." Sweetie ran over, "You're not alone in this fight."

"I appreciate your bravery Sweetie," Cleo spoke bitterly, staring at the three menaces, now entering the Wyrm's Domain. "But running in there as you are will cost you your life!"

Sweetie smiled warmly and shook her head,

"No Ms Cleo," Sweetie reasoned, "Not me. I'm talking about the one that lives here!" Before Cleo could ask, the young teenage child puffed up her chest and faced her foes.

"Hey! Mercury! I know you're there! Please help us!!!" Sweetie hollered,

The Menaces froze in their tracks, but nothing happened. Sweetie held on and continued,

"I apologise for all the humans that have harmed or polluted the seas, the home that you protect so dearly! Even so, I promise that some humans have the heart and compassion to protect the seas and the lives they carry!"

Once again, nothing happened. The Fiends emotionlessly stare at each other in confusion, as did Cleo and Adagio. The monsters had depicted that the little one's uproar was merely bluffing and decided to silence her first.

Sweetie started panicking at the advancing fiends but knew that fighting back was pointless. With one last deep breath, she created one more outburst.

"Thank you for protecting us, Mercury!" Sweetie changed her tone, "For providing your home as a place to hide, and giving me water to drink! Sorry that we pulled you into this, but can you please pull us out!?"

This time, something did happen. A large silhouette presented itself at the Den's entrance causing everyone in its presence to be still.

Two curved horns of purple and pink.

Scales of coarse sand and the deep blue sea.

Legs bulked with muscle, claws tipped in magenta. Spikes of yellow that protrude from it, running down to its tail.

Joined with spikes of purple, running down its spine and tail.

All these features on display and Sweetie doubted no more. This enormous creature before them matched feature by feature as the painting she filmed. It was Mercury, the Great Waterwyrm, alive and well.

With eyes of red, she scoured through the unfamiliar 'intruders' without a sound. The three humans at the far end, then to the menaces in front of her. She blinked once, then released a staggering roar that brought everyone to heel. She sunk her teeth into each fiend and threw them out one by one.

Outside, the Waterwyrm approached the three unwelcome intruders with a murderous glare. The troll of the trio began the fight, hurling his club at the dragon. Its opponent simply knocked it off course with a swift snap of her tail. The Hound and the Basilisk sprung forward, their jaw and fangs wide open. Mercury snorted and with her head, she batted them straight into the troll. The menaces struggled to get back up in time for the Waterwyrm to approach them. Mercury repeatedly slammed her head from above, crushing her foes into the ground, and without a single sign of pain.

For the spectators, Sweetie and Adagio watched the one-sided carnage without any words to describe its glory. Cleo gave a smirk of satisfaction at the sight of fiends getting hammered by a dragon five times their size. To her, the battle has turned in their favour, and she's enjoying every single second of it.

Mercury relented after a few more headbutts, showing her rescuees the results of her might. All three of them had their limbs and bodies halfway into the earth, dizzy from the beatdown and unable to escape. As for the dragon herself, she shook off any grain of soil and dirt upon her deep blue scales upon her head. That sight was enough for the teenagers to drop their jaws. Truly, they were standing before the most powerful being in the world.

But it wasn't over. Mercury turned to her foes one last time and unleashed a beam of high-pressure water straight through their bodies. All that remained was a serpent's tail, four canine legs, and the lower torso of the troll. They lay motionless on the ground for a while before turning to black dust. The New Alberian trio was finally safe... Or so they thought.

"You are welcome," Mercury addressed in a calm and quiet voice. She turned to face the girls, "Now what is this I hear about assumptions and history on Dragons, Cleo? It has been a thousand years since I became pactbound with Alberius, and even longer when I made the promise to protect Saint Lotier."

"Mercury I... Thank you for protecting and rescuing us." Cleo stepped forward and bowed, "and... Forgive me for my misinformed beliefs."

"Lift your head," Mercury commanded, "You are not entirely false. It is true that after a long time, humans have forgotten the promise that their ancestors have made. Furthermore, they have written us off their pages of history and have decided to perform the very things that angered us in the first place. They have successfully replaced a majority of nature for the sake of their own constructs, comfort, and 'advancement'. Selfish and uncaring are not enough to describe what they are."

Sweetie lowered her head in shame.

"And yet, what you claim is also true, Sweetie Belle." Mercury continued, "Please look me in the eye, child. Is it not manners?"

Sweetie did not budge her head,

"Do not be afraid. I have no reason or grudge to harm you. Please, look at me and hear what I have to say."

"Come on Sweetie." Adagio, back to Francesca's form, encouraged, "You have her word. Dragons are honest beings, most of the time."

"O-- Sweetie slowly lifted her head, and carefully locked her eyes into the Waterwyrm's red ones. "Okay... But uh... How do you know my name?"

"Word travels fast through dragons and other forest animals, and we can see things from our own eyes." Mercury explained, "I chose to watch today's humanity in secret while Cleo here sought communication with them, separately of course. That's how I knew about the identity of the one named Adagio Dazzle and why she has to pathetically masquerade through society in the guise of an old ally. As for you, you've become quite a topic for the many animals that have lived here, to which it has even reached the ears of some dragons. That includes your older sister and the two boys."

"Alright..." Sweetie took a deep breath. "Sorry. I was really excited to see you, but I got pretty scared of what you did to those fiends. But I did call for your help, so thank you for rescuing us!!!"

"Now back to the matter at hand, I have indeed seen humans who have dedicated most of their lives and time protesting to protect the seas and the rivers, conserving water in times of dry spells. Though they may not know of my presence, they have grown to understand how important the seas are."

"Aw, that's wonderful!"

"However! The bond with the late Prince Euden is why I chose not to unleash that anger on his kind for the rest of my life. It is infuriating that a youngling such as Sweetie Belle could remember such history, and not you Cleo." Mercury glared,

"I..." Cleo was at a loss, "I'm truly sorry. It has been... Seven hundred years since we last saw each other let alone fight together."

"In any case, I've said my piece." Mercury concluded, "I suggest you return home. I'm sure it took a long time for you to walk here. Dawdle any longer, and dusk will approach."

"Well, thanks for everything Mercury!" Francesca bowed, "Have a good day!" The three began walking as the dragon retreated to her den, but just as she entered she turned around.

"One more parting message." Mercury called, "Heed it well; Humans may have forgotten us, but we have been travelling outside the mana barrier and mingling in their everyday lives today. Be sure to open your eyes and ears; Dragons may be above, below, afar, or among you." And with that, the Dragon closed the waterfall. Leaving the girls in thought.


"Well?" Flash asked, dropping from the roof, "Did we do it?"

Big McIntosh looked down at the architect's drawing of a square-based hall with a tiled roof, side awnings, and a pointy cone of steel as its spire. Then he looked at the building in front of him which matched the drawing in every way shape or form, save for a few cleaning issues. Satisfied with the comparison, he gave a thumbs up and a coy smile.

"Thank Goddess!" Flash slumped to the ground, "At least it's one of the hard parts done! Now cleaning is the next painful thing!"

"Both of you have been working to the bone ever since we came here this morning at 9. It's already 2 pm and you haven't eaten lunch! You really need to take a break."

"Well? What do you think big guy?" Flash asked,

"Eeyup." Big Mac nodded, "Enough work fer one day. But ah thought we promised that we have lunch together once Sweetie, 'Dagio and Ms Cleo come back."

"We did," Rarity remembered, "But perhaps walking the entire way to that lake was a bad move in my opinion. It would be far better on wheels when you're going through a forest and a sizable mountain range. I should have called them."

"No need to!" Sweetie called from afar, "we're baaaaack!"

"Sweetie!" Rarity changed from worry to joy as she ran down the hill with beaming arms. "You took so long! I was terribly worried!"

"It's okay." Sweetie hugged tightly, "It was a really great walk! You should've come with us! We ran into some trouble along the way, but Ms Cleo and Adagio protected me!"

"That's wonderful to hear. I'm happy you loved it. And thank you so much, Ms Cleo, for walking with her." She thanked until her throat tightened when she looked to the Siren, "You too... Adagio."

"Any fiend that spawns from there are easy pickings for me, but uhh... This trouble Sweetie was talking about? It wasn't those fiends. It was something else." Adagio sighed,

"Huh? What happened?" Rarity's worries came flooding back.

"Calm down Rarity, we're unharmed." Adagio jumped in,

"I think I should talk about this. Sweetie? Rarity? Would you like to come with me?" Cleo offered,

"What about us?" Flash butted in, "we want to hear too!"

"Adagio, you can tell them the story. What I have in store is extremely important for the sisters."

"O-Okay then. We'll be fine." Big Mac agreed, as did Flash.

"Follow me please." Cleo beckoned as she started walking, "We'll talk more in my private quarters."

"Ms Cleo... What's going on?" Rarity inquired,


"I see..." Rarity looked restless, "For fiends to corrupt the power of the essences is frightening indeed! I'm sure my worry was obvious; the three of you could have perished."

"It was scary, that's for sure." Sweetie agreed,

"However, I cannot overlook this..." Rarity tensed up, "To think that you would have met something so dangerous and powerful..."

"Uh, Rarity?" Sweetie began shaking, "P-Please don't get angry at Ms Cleo!"

"Don't stop her." Cleo answered, "She has the right to be."

"Why did you not tell me that in the beginning!?" Rarity stood up, "Had I known you were going to the den of a dragon on your walk, I would have come along!!!"

"Uh... Wait... You're not angry?" Sweetie got confused,

"Of course I am angry!!!" Rarity lashed out with stars in her eyes, "The two of you excluded me from such a wonderful opportunity! Never mind the 'menacing' fiends; I'd do anything just to see a dragon, talk to them, get their scales from doing them favours!!!"

"Oh... Is that... So?" Cleo also began to look confused, "You're giving us mixed messages here."

"Hmph... Well, they're immortal anyway, so there's always next time." Rarity sat back down, pouting with disappointment, "Just tell me when you're going to meet some dragons from now on. I want to come along, and I'm sure our boys would too!"

"In any case Rarity, I thought I'd like to apologise to the two of you."

"Huh? What for?" Sweetie asked,

"To escape the menaces, we sought refuge in the Waterwyrm's home. That's when Sweetie asked a painful question. Would the Dragons help humans today?"

"Well after considering what happened, they sure would!" Rarity answered,

"Well... I warned her that the course mankind is currently taking had angered the dragons and dishonours the promise we have made together long ago. Yet, I have forgotten another important piece of history; it was when I was in service to the Founder Alberius, and Prince Euden. I've forgotten how much they mean to the dragons. How wrong I was to assume what the dragons themselves were thinking that she had to challenge me."

"Oh... Is that it?" Sweetie asked.

"Rarity." Cleo took a deep breath, "I must confess that during the time of the menaces, Adagio and I didn't protect Sweetie. She protected me and Adagio by never losing her optimism and called for the Waterwyrm's aid. Thank you, Sweetie... Thank you for saving our lives."

"Ms Cleo." Sweetie walked forward, hugging the Sylvan Healer, "I forgive you, it's okay. You don't have to be sad about it anymore. If you ask me, I never get to say those sort of 'challenging' things to my parents without being scolded. You're the first adult to not do that, and probably the first adult to thank me for saving them!"

"Dear Sweetie, you were not alone then. Even I got scolded when I questioned my parents' decisions. You'll just have to wait till you've grown." Rarity added.

"Hey! I said I wasn't a child anymore!" Sweetie frowned, "I told you I just turned thirteen!"

"Perhaps Mercury was right in calling you child," Cleo chuckled, "But I am not finished yet."

The sisters stopped squabbling and straightened themselves on their seat.

"I wish I can get over my guilt from your kind words alone, but there is something else I must present you." Cleo continued. "Alongside an apology, this is to recognise and show everyone your courage for calling upon a Dragon." She pulled out a small wooden box with a water drop engraved on the lid, "This is now yours."

"Oooh..." A blue light shone into the child's eyes, "I can keep this??? Sweet!"

"And I should let you know one more thing." Cleo closed with a warm smile, "It does not take Dragonblood or a pact for a human to walk and live alongside dragons. Most have made bonds and promises by simple word or deed, some may resemble the Pinkie Promise."

"You know what Sweetie?" Rarity spoke up, "The way you approached Mercury is truly wonderful, and something I wouldn't have done. I'm deeply proud of you, my sister."

"Aww... Thank you, Sis,"

"Love you lots!" Rarity laughed, "Now comes a deep decision. How would you like to wear it?"

"Hmm..." Sweetie fell deep into thought, peering into the blue light.


"Good Morning Sweetie!!!" Applebloom greeted at the bottom "how was your weekend in the uh... In New Alberia?"

"A wonderful time filled with fun and danger! And I even get something most glamorous out of it. Know what it is?"

"No need to guess. Flash spilled the beans." Scootaloo took a quick peek, "Not sure it matches the clothes you wear right now, but it does make it look you look like a royal!!!"

"In that case, let's see what the others say!!!" Sweetie Belle laughed, holding their hands. "Let's go!"


"Hey! Good Morning, Cutie Mark Crusaders!!!" A student called out, "And Sweetie Belle, I like your new Alice band!"

"Thanks, Twist!!! It's just a small upgrade in design that I got over the weekend!"

"Good morning Sweetie Belle," a male student chuckled, "Wow... I really like that gem on your hairband! Does it provide you special powers???"

"Oh Button," Scootaloo laughed, "always about video games,"

"Actually," Sweetie laughed politely, "you're not wrong. It USED TO provide power to whoever wears it."

"Woah, really!?" Button jumped, "no way! That's rare!"

"Hmph!!!" Another student walked up to the trio, "A new upgrade?" She glanced at the hairband and pouted, "Doesn't look any better than my own Tiara!"

"Good Morning to you too Diamond Tiara." Sweetie sighed,

"Anyway, just because you got an upgrade doesn't make you any more of a loser!"

"Is that all you come up with?" Sweetie laughed, "I should be saying that to you! Your Tiara doesn't make you any more of a bitch!"

"Ooooh!" The eavesdropping students roared with joy and laughter, encouraging and cheering on this bout of slander. However, one particular person was not up for this.

"EXCUSE ME!?!?!?" A purple-red-haired teacher flew into the scuffle with a roar, "What did you just say???"

"Uhh..." Sweetie's smirk turned into cold with fright, "Ms M, I uh..."

"Apologise to Diamond this instant!" Ms M scolded, "No matter what you two were doing, resorting to swearing is never the right choice for both sides. Do it NOW!"

"Mmm..." Sweetie gave a small glare but turned to the girl, gloating in victory. "Sorry Diamond."

"Hmph! I shall forgive you then!" Diamond cackled,

"Now, all of you get ready for your classes. You don't have long till the bell rings!" Ms M addressed. "Sweetie, you are to see me in my office for this Lunchtime."

"But--" Sweetie protested as the crowd dispersed,

"Don't interrupt me!" The teacher snapped, "You won't be alone. Other students will be coming; Students you know very well."

"You mean us?" Scootaloo pointed to herself and Applebloom,

"No. But if you really want to stick with your best friend through detention, be my guest!"

"Oh! Sorry Sweetie, but you're on your own." Applebloom gulped,

"Thanks, girls," Sweetie grumbled, "So who's in trouble with me?"


"Take a seat please." Ms M instructed to four empty chairs. Sweetie sat down immediately as did the other three trouble students. Her eyes of glowing orange skimmed across the four, who were looking back with nervous eyes.

"Ms M," Rarity broke first, "If this is about Sweetie's History Project, I firmly believe that the topic you suggested would not have helped Sweetie in her studies, even if it is approved by you. But I mean no offence to your teaching guidance and I am truly sorry for making this decision for her."

"Quiet you!" Ms M glared, "Do not remind me of that. If you were talking to your boss in the future, they may hold it against you!"

"Ma'am, I don't mean to be rude... But why did you call us here?" Flash asked, "I'd like to know what we're in trouble for."

"Hmm..." Ms M adjusted her glasses, "there's a list of heinous crimes that all of you are guilty of, but they can be easily forgiven. No, I'm here to tell you why I suggested Grastaea for Sweetie's assessment."

The four students froze.

"Yes." Ms M continued, "I know about the mist within the Mayleaf Trail. I have also ventured in that world plenty of times and discovered many interesting places there before you have."

"L-like what?" Flash asked. Ms M tossed out some photos.

"A large land that consists of a forest, a lake, a volcano, a tall mountain, some ancient ruins, and a castle." Ms M shared, "And I almost forgot! The world is inhabited by violent creatures and dragons, yes? Not a single human in sight!" From the stash, she pulled out a particular photo of a winged silhouette. The four students froze again when they peered over.

"I'll take your faces as a yes then!" Ms M smiled, "Now that we know something in common, we can get into the meat of this 'detention'... You see, don't you think it's odd that a volcano would appear in a place that's located right in the middle of a tectonic plate rather than the edge?"

"I don't think Mr Trotter has got to that subject in Geo," Flash replied,

"I see. Well, I'll be exploring that place further this weekend, looking more into the mysteries behind that volcano, such as why it's active." Ms M slid the photo of the volcano over.

"That volcano is active!?" The teens yelled,

"Yes." Ms M sighed, "For the sake of this place, as well as Canterlot, we must make sure to predict the chances of eruption, and the necessary measures to withstand that disaster."

"... Do you want us to protect you from those 'violent creatures' as you explore?" Flash asked,

"That would be VERY lovely!!! Thank you for asking!!" Ms M, "You're too much of a sweet and smart boy for your own good! That will make you more memorable, you know that?"

Sweetie, Big Mac and Rarity glared at Flash, who quickly covered his mouth in shock.

"I'm kidding..." Ms M laughed, "You do have a choice in this. If you join me though, I'll make it worth your time and academic studies! I'll give each of you a personal and professional tutoring session that will guarantee top marks in history!"

"Hmm..." Big Mac and Rarity looked at each other,

"And If you still haven't decided on your new Historical topic, Sweetie, I'll recommend one that's easy to do! Even give you an extension on your deadline!" Ms M offered,

"Well..." Sweetie smiled a little,

"Ma'am!" Flash stood up, "I have a better proposition!"

"Flash!" Rarity snapped, "You've got a foot in your mouth already, don't stuff another in!"

"Oh? And what is it?" Ms M accepted,

"We have been exploring Grastaea just like you. We can do the investigation to find out the mysteries behind the Volcano, and we'll share it with you. So uh... You won't have to risk your life if you do that. Right?" Flash negotiated cooly.

"Huh..." Big Mac pondered, "That's... Not a bad idea."

"Interesting..." Ms M narrowed her eyes, "Is your source of information reliable?"

"Oh, indeed it is!" Flash answered, "Since you already know about the Castle, we've found some official historical documents in there!"

"In that case, we shall see..." Ms M took off her glasses, "But keep in mind. When it comes to the adult world, genuine research and evidence are absolutely important. If you ever find yourself withholding, lying, or tampering with any evidence you will be severely reprimanded. Do I make myself clear?"

"Didn't you say you were a history teacher?" Sweetie asked,

"Same principle, child." Ms M sourly clarified, "Even Historians must present theories that identify and determine any missing pieces of the past with solid evidence. That much has been drilled into me in University."

"Well?" Flash turned to the group, "What do you think?"

"You're the one who pulled us in! How am I supposed to have my say!?" Rarity argued, "However, Ms M, it seems you've put a lot of passion into exploring Grastaea as a historian, and as long as nobody gets hurt, Flash's proposal doesn't have any risks."

"I won't be leaving immediately. I'll prepare for it this Weekend. If you find any information about the Volcano, don't hesitate to email me or tell me after class. If I'm satisfied with the information you bring me, I will not risk my life, and I will keep my word of rewarding you! Sound good?"

"I'm happy!" Flash waved,

"Same here!" Sweetie agreed,

"You're agreeing to this Sweetie!?" Rarity gasped,

"Well, the more the merrier. Count me in," Big Mac raised his hand,

"You're too simple-minded!" Rarity criticised,

"I think we should all agree on this though..." Big Mac stopped, "If you say no Rarity, we'll say no too."

"Yeah!" Sweetie responded, "We're all in this together!"

Flash gave a small salute.

"Oh, so you guys really want to go into this together?" Rarity asked, "I can't say this isn't peer pressure... But It's nice to be included after everything we've gone through! Okay then! I will happily aid you, Ms M."

"Wonderful!!!" Ms M smiled, putting back her glasses on, "

"To be fair..." Rarity dreaded to herself, "I knew the existence of Grastaea would be discovered sooner or later... But this was a very bad time to discover it now. Fiends are capable of preventing me to go Estelle! Looks like I will have to rethink my visiting policies!"

The Child and the Dragon

The End