• Published 3rd Jun 2019
  • 2,639 Views, 38 Comments

Equestria Lost: Dragons beyond time - Tythen



Adagio Dazzle had been spotted by her enemies. While trying to shake them off her tail, she inadvertently brought them to her homestay: A land full of Untold History, Adventurers, Paintings, and Dragons... Dragons? In this side of Equestria??

  • ...
3
 38
 2,639

A Fighter in Pain

Ever since the revelation, the four CHS students were spacing out when they got back home. They said not a single word as they ate save 'thank you' and 'goodnight' and continued like this next morning when they went back to school on Monday.

"You four seem to be hung up about what happened." Sunset confronted them at recess, "Why is that?"

"I'm not hung up," Flash defended, "But it will take some time getting used to. And well... Okay, I'm sort of hung up. I still haven't told mum and dad the truth about going out every weekend, let alone the mana thing."

"Same here." Sweetie raised her hand, "After giving it some thought, I still can't feel any of that water mana around me now."

"Whole lotta heavy reflecting," Big Mac answered, testing his grip, "It's one big surprise after 'nother. Castle in the mist, different human-like races that age older than we do, usin' the power of former heroes, then realisin' we're capable of usin' the same power they do."

"And what's so wrong about that?" Ms M approached, followed by Pinkie, Rainbow and Applejack, "Whilst the three of you I understand, I don't see how this should come as a shock to you, Rarity."

"What do you mean?" Rarity responded,

"Pinkie has told me all about what happened when you first experienced magic. What happened with Adagio and the Dazzlings, what happened at Camp Everfree, and how you were able to make Sunset and Twilight see a brighter path together. If you want my opinion, I think our mana magic is far tame compared to yours." She scoffed, "'Ponying up'? And I thought humans and sylvans shapeshifting into dragons was crazy enough."

"Nuh-uh! Turning into dragons are way cooler!!!" Rainbow Dash disagreed, "Though Flutters and I do get to fly when we pony up since we also have wings!!!"

"It's not that we think it's a burden," Rarity explained, "It's just us making sure we're a bit more conscious about how we act. At least for me."

"Well, that's what Ms M and Ms Cleo are here for." Twilight jumped in, "I'm no expert in Grastaea's power, but those two surely are. In fact, it's wonderful that we have one of their famous dragons as a teacher. She's a trustworthy one. Right?"

"Yeah! And besides, magic is magic!" Pinkie jumped up and down, "If you don't want to harm anyone, I'm sure your new mana powers won't do that! You do have it in control... do you?"

The girls and guys looked to Big Mac and Rarity. The reluctant ones exchanged a few glances, then nodded with a smile.

"Alright, we'll be okay then."

"You don't have to worry about anything you two..." Ms M continued the explanation, "Flash here only just received a big amount of mana. But it was also thanks to his current fighting skills that he's now capable of fighting fiends. You need both to actually deal damage with mana. As of now, I can sense your mana to be a subtle barrier."

"Speaking about Mana," Sweetie turns to Flash, "What was it like meditating?"

"Well..." Flash pondered,


"Wh-Whooooaaahh!"

For a brief moment, Flash felt Cleo's hand slip away, only to be followed by his seat. Next thing he knew was that he was falling at frightening speeds. When he opened his eyes, he noticed that he wasn't in the Halidom anymore. Rather, he was in black and empty space, falling into a bottomless abyss.

"This is my second gift! I have asked Cleo to unbind and bring forth the power lying dormant within you. Within all Equestrians! From this point onwards, you can harness mana!!!"

The voice of Ms M stopped Flash in his freefall, with some invisible air holding him up. Then he was whisked sideways, then upwards, then downwards again, and then to the side. This force was throwing him in all directions without caring for gravity like a ragdoll getting pulled around by a rollercoaster. Falling sideways once again, Flash spotted a circle of light getting bigger and bigger; he's heading towards that thing at full speed. The spiky-haired boy closed his eyes as the light of the tunnel engulfed him whole.

When he opened his eyes, he found himself floating in the middle of yet another bottomless space. What was different was that there were so many clouds circling him, with a night sky filled with various stars shining or flying beyond that. Above him, there were countless feathers of light descending slowly, dancing as they pass through or around him, towards the vast skies below.

"What is this place?" Flash spoke. His voice, though quiet, echoes loudly across the vast space. "Am I tripping?"

"You've arrived, good. Now... can you spot a column of large floating circles?" That was Cleo's voice.

"Uh... Yeah! It's just a few metres below me!"

"Make your way towards it. Use your mind to navigate your body." Cleo instructed,

Giving it a test, he was amazed! To move with your mind, the more you think about what direction you want to go to, the faster you fly! Flash couldn't help but have fun now that he's got a grip.

"Hey, do you want to get stronger or not? Go to the circles now!"

"Okay..." Flash pouted and flew to his destinations. There were five large floating circles, each floating above another. The circles were black in colour, and each had crystals of different colours and shapes attached to it, each having a faint but present light glowing in its core. Between each floating ring was a statue, who also had a light glowing in its core like the crystals.

"What am I seeing here?"

"These are the mana circles." Cleo introduced, "Specifically, YOUR mana circles! Everyone in Grastaea has one deep within their heart and soul. Should anyone choose to fight using mana alongside their physical skills, this comes to play. You can say that mana can be improved and controlled by one's willpower."

"How does it work?"

"Right now, you can see that the circles are really dark and dim. That's because they are bound. Everyone new to fighting with mana starts off like that. What you want to do is unbind them, that's what I'm transmitting mana to you for. I'm going to do that now..."

A massive surge of light green energy burrowed through the clouds and danced around the mana circles.

"Now Flash, you can control the mana that just flew in. Use your mind to direct them towards the bottom-most circle."

"Hrah!" Without any other question, Flash grunted and focused, sending the green dancing motes straight to its target. The green lights burrow into the circle and turned it green. Flash could hear a hum from the circles, increasing in pitch. Then all of a sudden, a large shattering sound occurs, with the green circle breaking apart like glass. A much thinner circle remains from the shattering, but it looked brighter than before, and the small intricate patterns of the circle could be seen more clearly.

"I can tell from your expression that you've successfully unbound your first mana circle. Now, I'm going to send in another helping of mana, and I want you to fill those nodes. They're the crystals you see down there."

"So that's what you mean by nodes back when Rarity was meditating as Estelle. Is there a specific rule according to what type of 'node' I put it in?"

"The green node shaped as ovals wrapping around a heart extends your health and makes defeating you hard. The red node shaped like the blade of a sword enhances your strength and thus your power overall. The purple crown that nestles a circle and a thorn reveal a hidden ability or skill that existed when you were born. The blue-coloured book that you see every day works either red or green in a personal and anecdotal way."

"Nice rhyming." Flash chuckled,

"Thank you. Now here comes the mana. Use it to fill the nodes."

"Righty-o. Three purple nodes, four green nodes, two red nodes, and the blue node which seems to fill the purpose of a red one," Flash examined, "You know what? I'll sweep the board! Ha!"

Flash waves a hand, and the mana splits apart and flies into each and every node and lighting each and every one of them up.

"Alright, you're done here. Leave the place."

"How?"

"Use your mind." Cleo sighed, "Give it some thought..."

"Hrrr... wooah!!!" Flash felt a big grip around his body which pulls him away from the circles and into the clouds. That's when he woke up.

"That was a crazy ride. If you said I was on a psychedelic trip, I'd believe you!"

"Mana is not a drug, Flash. You will do well to remember that," Cleo glared.


"So is that what you felt like when you were doing your meditating?" Flash asked,

"Right down to the same atmosphere!" Rarity agreed, "Probably because both of you share the element of light!"

"When I woke up, I had really weird feelings around my body and mind, as if I've learned something new and it is burning comfortably into my senses and muscles. How should I relate to it? Like feeling the pain after anesthesia wore out, except its not pain, but 'enlightenment'."

"I get it!" Rainbow raised a hand, "I know what it feels like before and after surgery!"

"Then let's pray we never find out what it's like. Okay?" Rarity asked, "I can't imagine the pain people would go through!"


Nothing else interesting happened in school today, so everyone went back home, though Flash decided to break the ice on what happened; to the most important people in his life.

"Mum? Dad?" Flash announced over the dinner table, "There's something I need to tell you."

"Interesting. You never really discuss with us about something serious." Mr Sentry mused while munching on some lasagne.

"Hmm..." Mrs Sentry spoke, "Is it related to you going to the park every day?"

"Yes."

Silence filled the air. Mr Sentry and Mrs Sentry put down their cutlery and swallowed. Scootaloo (who was invited over) did the same but was unsure and a little afraid in the sudden change of atmosphere.

"Explain," Mr Sentry ordered in a stern tone. "We won't assume."

"The park that I go to with my new set of friends almost every weekend isn't just some ordinary get together and hang out. Within that park is a secret which only me and those friends know."

"Who are your friends?" Mr Sentry prompted. Flash took a big swig of his water and spoke.

"Honest CHS students. Rarity, Sweetie Belle and Big McIntosh,"

"Yes, I recognise their names." Mrs Sentry nodded, "I believe you are friends with Sweetie Belle aren't you Scoots?"

"Mmm-hmm!" Scootaloo nodded,

"Then do YOU know about the park's secret as well?" Mr Sentry turned his head,

"Y-Yes, sir!" Scootaloo sat up straight, shivering and shaking.

"Honey, stop pressing her! This isn't the courtroom!" Mrs Sentry gripped her husband's shoulder.

"Pardon me..." Mr Sentry coughed and adjusted his throat and tone, "When did she tell you?"

"Actually Flash told me about it two weeks ago. And Rarity told her friends too."

"Flash..." Mr Sentry crossed his arms with yet another serious look. Mrs Sentry gave a worried look again.

"Believe me, I would tell you. But..."

"What doubt do you have in us that would prevent you from telling the truth?" Mr Sentry spoke sharply,

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you!" Flash blurted out, "At least not without evidence."

"And yet you blame me for treating the house like a courtroom?" Mr Sentry raised an eyebrow, quickly changing to a jesting tone.

"So that means you've gotten evidence about this secret spot in the park?" The mum continues the questions, ignoring her husband.

"A few photos, and something else." Flash pulled out his phone, "Here..."

The parents gazed through the photos of the Halidom, Rovetelle Forest, and a long shot of Mount Adolla.

"Interesting..." Mr Sentry spoke, "Is this the volcano responsible for the earthquake a week ago?"

"Yes," Flash nodded without hesitation. "But that's not all. I'd like to present more information about this secret."

"Please do,"

"The secret place you see right now is the remnants of an era not inscribed in our history. The castle you see here contains records that define the civilisation living in that era from cultures, political systems, beliefs, and most importantly the source behind it all. This civilisation has discovered something called mana. It is defined by them as the source of all life and magic. Almost everyone is capable of storing mana in their bodies and controlling it as part of their everyday lives."

"Give a few examples,"

"Farming, the ability to use magic, and fighting. Mana can be harnessed in five different forms, which are the elements of this world. Fire, Water, Wind, Light, and Shadow. Everyone is attuned to an element, though there are people that can use mana that does not correspond to their own element."

"Sounds like a video game, if you pardon my bluntness." Mr Sentry scoffed, "But regardless, can you please tell me how you intend to claim all this history as real?"

"I present myself," Flash boldly answered,

"What!?" Mr Sentry raises his brows,

"Flashy?" Mrs Sentry got startled.

Scootaloo said nothing, but she was sitting on the edge of her seat.

"Whilst the civilisation no longer exists, the mana they harness is still here, confined within this secret area. And..."

Flash pulled himself back and stood up,

"... it turns out I can harness it too. Would you like to see?"

"Dear..." Mrs Sentry looked shaken, "You should have told us this from the beginning!"

Mr Sentry blinked, but he showed no signs of fear or worry,

"Then show us what you can do with this 'mana'." Mr Sentry accepted, "But if you break anything, you're going to pay for it."

"I won't break anything Dad. I promise." Flash nodded. He took a deep breath and held it in,

"Haaaa... Haaaa!!!"


On Tuesday, Flash was nowhere to be seen at school. He wasn't present at his usual spot, and he wasn't hanging out with his usual friends. To the students who ventured into New Alberia, it came as a worry.

"Scoots, is Flash feeling sick?" Sweetie approached her best friend,

"Huh? No! He's fine! I was invited to his house for dinner yesterday, and he wasn't under the weather at all! Well... except for the fact that he... you know, I think you should get your sister and Big Mac for this conversation too."


"He told his parents about Grastaea!?!?" Rarity yelled,

"Woah! Calm down Rarity!" Scootaloo pacified, "That's just who he is. Did he not tell you last week when we were doing Sweetie's project? He'd tell me and you guys first before his parents!"

"But that would lead to him being banned from going out there again. They'd even chase us down!"

"No no no! Mr and Mrs Sentry isn't like that! They're more... open about the situation, and aware of what Flash can do. And we've all seen that, right?"

The other three exchanged nervous glances and nodded,

"So..." Big Mac jumped in, "What was their judgement?"

"Just a few stern words and lectures from dad." Flash chimed in out of nowhere,

"Woah!" Sweetie, Rarity and Big Mac jumped,

"Can you not appear out of nowhere?" Sweetie snapped, "And where in Equestria have you been this morning?"

"Clinic. I was feeling a little under the weather when I woke up, so mum whisked me there for a quick check-up. It was just exhaustion and a little overworked. So they prescribed me a small tonic to take after every meal, which I did after a quick breakfast. Sad to say, it was not serious for me to be taken out of school for today, so I came back during recess. I bumped into Applebloom, and she told me you were looking for me."

"Okay," Sweetie shrugged,

"But you got to admit, Mum seemed awfully calm and easy-going about all this."

"Mrs Sentry's always calm and easy-going if it's around you, Mr Sentry, and my mum and dad!" Scootaloo argued,

"Still, for her to say that it's really similar to 'Chi', you'd think she'd be a little worried!" Flash laughed,

"... What?" Big Mac, Sweetie and Rarity looked astonished,

"Flash showed them the same thing he did to us regarding mana." Scootaloo explained, "And the first thing Mrs Sentry did was look relieved. Scratch that, she looked really excited. She said, 'Wow! It's just like what I do in my Tai Chi classes regarding Chi. But this one exists!'"

Big Mac, Rarity and Sweetie Belle released a suppressed laugh.

"I think your mom's more simple-minded than easy-going Flash," Sweetie smirked,

"Take that back," Flash and Scootaloo rebuked, giving her a vengeful stare.

"W-Woah!!!" Sweetie held out her hands in defence, "It's a joke! It's a joke!"

"Sorry," Flash shook it off, "I'll just say my mum looks out for everyone and trusts them so. End of story. But yeah, Dad's completely fine with what I got, and he believes me too. His stern word for me was to keep a tight cap on my mana. If I can't I have to make it so."

"Wow. Your parents sound pretty strict yet calm about this. I know our mum would lose her mind and panic!" Rarity complimented,

"That being said, I never told them about Cleo or Ms M. Or the fact that we're doing actual fighting over there too."

"Ah... speakin' bout Ms M. She came to me after class, told us to meet in the Halidom after school. Something important."

"Sure! We can head there!" Flash smiled,

"Hmm..." Sweetie took a gander at Flash. Something about his behaviour today bothers her but she doesn't know what.

"Sweetie Belle, why are you looking at Flash?" Scootaloo noticed,

"Do you find it odd that he's being a bit cheerful after going to the doctor's?" Sweetie asked,

"No, not really. Why are you worried?"

"Well... yeah,"

"Never thought you'd be interested in an everyday bloke like him."

"Everyday or not, he's an important companion over in Grastaea." Sweetie firmly reasoned,

"I'm kidding!" Scootaloo chuckled, "Wow, and I thought you'd be the one to make jokes on him!"


"Good afternoon students," Ms M, with her half-dragon outfit on, greeted.

"So, what's important?" Flash asked as they sat around the unlit fire.

"I have found Midgardsomr," She announced, "He's staying in the Dornith mountains for the week."

"Nice!" Sweetie punched the air, "If we find him, we find the Smithwyrms. That means castle construction will be easy! We no longer have to do the work!"

"Yes, and the Smithwyrms still take rupies instead of Equestrian currency, so payment costs are all covered." Cleo added, "Unless you still want to keep doing work and me paying you, finding and convincing him to come back seems like the more practical choice."

"The Windwyrm will be more convinced if humans or sylvans were to seek his aid, rather than another dragon. So all of you should come with!" Ms M added,

"Dornith Mountains. Is that the massive mountain south-west of here, reaching up the clouds?" Rarity asked,

"Yes, and I will tell you this. The mountain is the Lightwyrm's roost. As such, there is an abundance of mana which helps keeps people like us alive when we would not survive."

"So we won't have any breathing problems at high altitudes!" Big Mac figured,

"Correct." Cleo nodded, "But you'd run out before you'll even get there. It will be a tremendous hike."

"Aw man..." The students groaned,

"Have you been to Mount Dornith, Adagio?" Sweetie asked,

"Never... the only areas I've frequently been in the forest and the lake. I didn't go to the volcano because you already know, and the Mountain is too far away and high up to climb. Cleo has a lack of stamina too so we're mutually against going there."

"I didn't have to scale so high above the mountain to repel any Imperial attacks. The only time I did scale the summit was to find the Lightwyrm, and we were in a bit of a rush. Now that we have all the time, I'm more than willing to go." Cleo clarified,

"How about Friday after school this time? Earlier the better!" Rarity scheduled. "We go back home, outfit ourselves with the right gear, and head off!"

"Sounds like a plan," Big Mac agreed,

"Let's do it!" Flash also punched the air,

"Remember to bring your weapons alongside important supplies. Even though there's a small village up there for rest, it's the only one that hasn't been warded. Fiends will be present." Cleo instructed,

"Speaking of, your halberd is kept nice and warm Flash." Ms M informed, "I think we should keep any weapon we find here. It'd be too suspicious if you're carrying around a lance or axe in Canterlot!"

"Thanks, Ms M. Which reminds me, would you and Ms Cleo be interested in having dinner with me and my family?" Flash invited,

"That's surprising. Why's that?" Cleo asked with a puzzled look.

"I trust my parents a lot, so I told them about this place. I never told them about you or Ms M's secret, however."

"Is that so? That's fine. But I still don't see why you'd go out of the way to invite me."

"Because why not? I think you could get used to a lot more people than just us and the people you deliver veggies to," Flash replied, "They love hosting for guests, and they'd be thrilled to meet you too!"

"Is that so?" Cleo's eyes widened, then she gave a smile. "Well when you put it that way, it sounds lovely! I'll think about it."

"Wow, I never knew Flash had balls," Adagio whistled, "He'd drag his parents into this? Over dinner no less?"

"I feel something bad is going to come through all this..." Sweetie gulped,


To convince the parents, the CHS students mentioned that they are going on a 'bushwalk' in the Mayleaf Trail within the park after school on Friday, most likely returning for dinner. For Mr and Mrs Belle, Rarity and Sweetie's parents, they found it a bit odd to see their neat and clean eldest daughter partake in an activity where she's bound to sweat and get dirty.

"It doesn't hurt to try something for the first time! Besides, we went to Camp Everfree. I mean I did." Rarity reminded,

"Well... I guess you're right." Mrs Belle chuckled, "Sorry for being forgetful,"

"In any case, if you need some help with getting gear ready, don't hesitate to let us know!" Mr Belle suggested,

"And make sure you've got any of your work or assessments in due time!" Mrs Belle added,

"No worries!"


"A bushwalk? Funny that the first time you'd do it is with your friends, and not dad and I." Mrs Sentry listened,

"I promise to get my homework done, no worries."

"Hmm... between you and me, is this 'bushwalk' involving this secret garden of yours?"

"I told you mum," Flash rolled his eyes, "It's not a garden, it's a secret nation."

"All the more to tell the truth!" Mrs Sentry looked at him with puppy-dog eyes, "Why don't you tell me specifically?"

"Okay..." Flash sighed, "There's a mountain in the secret nation. My friends and I are going to be hiking up. There won't be any phone reception up the mountain, but there is on the ground. I'll text you before climbing up."

"Sounds wonderful, let me help you pack your gear then. And if you find any trouble, use that special mana of yours to protect yourself and others, promise?"

"I promise mom!" Flash promised, gripping his mom's pinky finger with his own.


"A bushwalk eh?" Big McIntosh's Grandmother, Granny Smith, repeated, "Sounds right up yer lane! Just remember ta stay safe, ya hear?"

"Will do Granny." Big Mac smiled as he walked out of the living room and towards his own,

"Hey," Two girls of different ages waited for him there,

"Applejack, Applebloom. Ya thought of knockin'?" Big Mac scratched his head,

"Excuse me if Ah forget ma manners when you make baloney 'bout yer situation." Applejack spoke sarcastically, "Bushwalkin'? More like doin' somethin' big in the other world!"

"Oh. Lemme guess... Sweetie Belle?"

"Scoots too," Applebloom added, "Ah overheard 'er talkin' about hikin' sticks and insect spray with her one-sided brother."

"No worries. I ain't gettin' into any fights. That's Rarity, Dagio, Ms M, Ms Cleo, and now Flash's job."

"Yeah well, Ah don't feel any better when our respective best friends n' big brother goes into trouble without us," Applejack explained,

"Then, by all means, come if you want." Big Mac offered, "Ah got a debt to pay. Adagio and Ms Cleo saved the four of us and even invited us to their home. Now their home's very much run down since they're the only two livin' in it, so ah personally promised to fix their castle, aside from helpin' reform 'Dadgio. What we're seekin' up the mount is a Dragon that can call a few other dragons that can fix everythin' lickety-split."

"But that mountain is littered with those nasty critters... fiends?"

"If anyone gets injured, we have two healers in Cleo and Rarity. Heck, Ah can be a third too!"

"Now that's too many healers. Ah know mah video game logic; ya need a hard hitter. Any sword users?" Apple Bloom asked,

"'Dagio uses daggers, and Flash uses a lance as you know. Balances healing and damage, no?"

"Hmm... 'y'all good to go then!" Applebloom smiled,

"Don't 'y'all good to go' him!" Applejack warned, "This ain't a video game, it's reality!"

"Listen, ah promise to take good care of mahself, and Ah ain't alone in this."

"Ah guess so partner." Applejack elbowed him gently, "Ah don't particularly care what happens to Flash or Adagio, but you better keep an eye on Rarity and Sweetie, okay?"

"Okay sis," Big Mac promised,


And finally, the day had come. The four students prepared their clothes, their packs, and everything else. With a subtle nod from each, the four students made for their homes to pick up their tools and meet at the park. But just as Flash could leave the grounds, a girl stood in his tracks.

"Scoots! Judging by your face, Sweetie must have told you about the trip up the mountains."

"I've known you since we were primary school kids, that something like this is a Sunday drive. I'm worried about something else."

"That's very sweet of you Scoots. What's it about?"

"Flash, have you told them about how... 'serious' you can get?"

"I made a small joke about that ever since the picnic. Why's that?"

"You and I know that is no joke, and that you want to hide it for good reason. Otherwise, you'd scare them away from you."

"Okay then, my best buddy, how about you do something for me? If anything goes wrong to me it's up to you, to tell the truth about me to the four. Okay?"

"Sure thing. I'd do it even without your permission,"

"That's rude," Flash smiled,

"Sweetie's my best friend," Scootaloo gave a playful smirk, "And even if I kept my mouth shut, she'd pry it open if it regards you. Probably try to pry open yours too."

"Really? And why would she do that?"

"She's very interested in you ever since the picnic. She wanted to know a lot about the relationship between you and I. It's as if... she likes you!"

Flash ceased smiling.

"So you have been paying attention. That reaction doesn't belong to a dense guy." Scootaloo caught on,

"I'll make sure she'll be in safe hands. I'll make sure everyone is," Flash sighed,

"I know you will," Scootaloo reached on her tiptoes to pat his shoulders, "But in the case you get serious, let them know how it happens and why."


With everyone saying their goodbyes and see yous to their friends and family, the group departed for the Halidom, and with Adagio, Cleo and Ms M in tow, their journey to find Midgardsomr began. Their destination was Mount Dornith, who's pinnacle reached up to the clouds and perhaps just piercing through. Alongside many lesser (but just as tall) mountains, the entire range was given the same name as its highest - The Dornith mountains. Travelling south-west from the Halidom, the group waded through the windy forests for about ten to fifteen minutes before they start to see the number of green lush trees decreasing bit by bit.

"Welp, no more trees," Adagio pointed out, "Looks like we've reached the border."

Replacing the green atmosphere was a yellow-ish orange landscape of rocks and elevated plateaus, save for one wide valley path sandwiched between them. From soft dirt to solid rock underneath their feet, their senses pick up many changes - The humid temperature, the dust upon the winds, and as expected and feared, the ever slight incline of the road.

"Welcome to Kleifheim, the city situated in the Dornith Foothills." Cleo waved her hands at a giant ghost city. Most of the buildings were as tall as Canterlot High School and Canterlot Mall, but was inhabited with dust, rubble, and torn up fabric stuck within the walls. On the outskirts of the broken city, there were the traces of tents firmly pitched outside, if not for yet more fabric torn up and worn out tent pegs.

"Goddess! This blows!" Sweetie dragged her aching feet along, "Out of every place we travelled to, this journey is the worst!"

"I shouldn't have consumed half my water supply," Rarity heaved her body, her inner clothes all covered in sweat, "I thought we'd be halfway!"

"To be honest, Ah've never trekked across the country desert," Big Mac panted while wiping his slippery forehead.

"It's clear..." Flash got on his knees, "I am still unfit for the outdoor world,"

"Oh finally, you actually show a sense of regret and anguish like every other normal human should," Adagio spoke as she was wobbling all around, "All that cheerful energy is gone,"

"Callin' the kettle black there, Ms pot." Big Mac panted, "Unless sirens suffer from fatigue too,"

"If the sirens in your world are related to dragons, then I assure you that you wouldn't run out of energy," Ms M responded, completely cool and joyful, "That being said, I don't blame the state you are in. Not even Rainbow Dash or CHS' high-endurance athletes would come here without taking a knee."

"The consider yourselves lucky." Cleo exhaled, "There is a running source of water despite the city's deserted state. Fresh, I assure you. I believe Mym knows where it is,"

"Oh, bless you!" Rarity exhaled in joy,

"Remember, this city isn't warded." Cleo reminded, "So someone must accompany you to fight off fiends,"

"As teachers supervise students, I shall do that." Ms M volunteered, "Follow me Rarity, and anyone else who wants to need to refill,"

"We all should go," Flash suggested, "We can explore on our way there,"

"Fair enough," Big Mac agreed, "Better safe than sorry,"

As Flash suggested, the five teens took the opportunity to observe the history and scenery of this sizable city in the mountains while making their way towards the water source. It was almost a quarter the size of Canterlot, with the architecture looking to resemble various desert cities they saw in pictures of the Middle East, combined with some structures that resembled aqueducts from ancient history. The group could notice that buildings with towers used to be painted with various colour of red, blue or green. Buntings were tied from window to window or spire to spire, still hanging with torn or discoloured triangular flags. Big Mac was amazed that a civilisation like this has stood long enough for its beauty to be observed by him. It was as if this place took inspiration from various countries in Europe and not just the Middle East.

"Here we are,"

Cleo pointed at a small area on the aqueduct walls. The source of running water they were looking for was from a sizable fountain gushing out into a stone basin.

"Wow!" Rarity quickly refilled her water bottle, "This is perfect! Just by looking at the basin, the water here definitely looks fresh!"

"Times when I was able to meet with Midgardsomr, I come around here to drink every now and then. It's well taken care of if you ask me! And yes, there's nothing contaminated about this place,"

"Don't mind if Ah do!" Big Mac took his turn,

"My turn," Flash raised his hand, "I'm going to-"

*Shuffle*

"What was that!?" Everyone spun around with their weapons drawn (at least those who had them). The group scans their surroundings. No silhouette, no out of place shadow, nothing but the dust skittering on the rocky terrain.

"A reminder," Cleo warned, "Adagio, Rarity, you'd better suit up."

"Right," The girls made a beeline for Sweetie Belle and pulled out the set clothing of their respective adventurers.

"Wait..." Rarity paused, "If we're going to change clothes, what was the point of gearing up in the first place?"

"Oh dear, that must have slipped my mind." Ms M pondered,

"We could have changed earlier on, and leave our hiking gear in the Halidom!" Rarity realised, "Oh, what was the point anyway!"

"Complain later, change now!" Adagio snapped,

"Oh fine!" Rarity grumbled, "But seriously, this transformation is very inconvenient! If it were to change our bodies, the clothes should also change too!"

"For once, I agree," Sweetie added, "I can't believe I have to carry your clothes."

"Well you coulda' asked me to pack or tote some of the clothes." Big Mac responded,

"Funny..." Sweetie frowned, "Normally Flash would call us out for complaining with another annoying piece of logic..."

"Oh, he ain't convinced that the sound wasn't a piddlin' matter so he's gonna check it out,"

A chill ran down Sweetie's spine,

"He'd better not be alone,"

"He is," Big Mac answered, "But don't worry. If he sees those varmints, he'll skedaddle back to us."

"Well, I don't like him tempting fate!" Sweetie responded,

"Now he'll probably laugh at that," Big Mac assured,


Flash stepped around the city, silently prowling the empty bazaar. With his new powers and a neat weapon, he was confident that he could take on any fiend. But he did promise, he'd return at the sight of fiends.

"Alright Flash... keep focused." He told himself, "If the enemy is hidden from view, he's not hidden from sound,"

He closed his eyes and focused. With his sight fading to black, all he hears is the silence of the once-thriving city only with the high winds blowing faintly. Though it may seem as he's putting himself into danger, his tough training had allowed him to move away from fully relying on sight, and to work up his reliance on sound and his other senses. And just as he hears that shuffle once again,

"Hey!" Flash pointed his spear at an abandoned stall,

"Eep!"

"I heard that..." Flash marched forward, "Are you a friend or a fiend?"

No response,

"You better say something," Flash got closer, "Or else I'm going to strike!"

"No!" A girl hopped out from behind, holding her arms out in defence,

"What the!?" Flash lowered his lance, "Who are-"

The girl turned tail and ran off before he could even finish.

"Hey! Wait! I'm not going to-" Giving pursuit, the blue-haired teen stopped in his tracks as he lays his eyes on the most tremendous sight.


"Guys!" Flash backtracked to the fountain, "I've found something you want to see!"

"Told ya," Big Mac chuckled, "He came back for us!"

Sweetie rolled her eyes,

"What is it?" The Francesca-fied Adagio inquired, "For you to just run off like that... are you becoming an idiot again?"

"Two things," Flash ignored the dazzling merchant, holding up his fingers, "I think I found the path to the big Dornith mountain, and let me tell you... what a sight!"

"And the second?" The Estelle-ified Rarity prompted,

"That sound from before, it's a human girl."

The group went dumbfounded,

"I beg your pardon. What?" Estelle asked again,

"A girl... She had short white hair with her ends dyed purple. She was wearing a white shirt with long purple sleeves. She had long pants on... and judging by its design, way unsuited to an environment like this."

"That's rather overly specific... are you sure you're not pulling our leg here?" Ms M raised an eyebrow,

"No, I... ugh, never mind. Let me just show you where we're going to next." Flash grumbled,


"What in Tarnation!?"

"You're kidding me!"

"Forget it, I'm not climbing that!"

"... That's it, I'll be ruined!"

Upon an elevated veranda, Big McIntosh, Sweetie Belle, Francesca and Estelle dropped their jaws at the colossal mountain, sharp and jagged, tall and intimidating. What's worse, not only was it piercing through the clouds but a storm most ominous and unnatural circles up and down its body like a snake. It was as if they were looking at a terrifying image of a Heavenly Kingdom, yet it was 'kind' enough to allow anyone passage via its steep and naturally terraformed path. Though there were some traces of wooden bridges to connect any isolated cliffs and mountains.

"My feet will be covered in blisters after this!" Estelle protested, "Surely we can fly to the top!?"

"Good idea! But I refuse," Ms M icily responded, "Students need their daily exercise!"

"This is too much of an exercise!!! Not even Rainbow or the Wonderbolts would do something like this!!!"

"I guess we know the guy who will die first in the zombie apocalypse team." Flash chuckled,

"I can complain however much I want, Flash Sentry! I do not want to hear your quips!"

"I rest my case," Flash laughed, "But any case, the sun's still in the sky. We can take our sweet time to go to the Windwyrm's vacation spot,"

"Mids' vacation spot is on the summit," Mym pointed, "To get there, we'll go through a long system of natural and man-made bridges called the Dornith Crossing, then climb up the Sandscald Cliffs. After that, it's one short but steep path."

"We have to go rock climbing too!?!?" Estelle bellowed,

"If there was, I would have told you, and I'd be willing to fly you." Ms M calmly spoke, "But no. There's a spiral path ascendable for humans, but you may need to lift your legs and... require two people for certain steps."

"Well, what are we waiting for? Let's go!!!" Flash encouraged,

"Why are you so energetic?" Francesca grumbled,

"Of course. Flash is attuned to light, the same as this region. It must have strengthened his natural recovery." Cleo answered,

"Great. That answer couldn't be more infuriating."


The team's journey to the summit begins. They walked upon the paths of rock, held up high by uneroded and unworn stone foundations. They carefully tiptoed across the typical wooden bridges against the breezy wind. The atmosphere around them felt awfully familiar.

"This is like Mount Adolla all over again," Big Mac shared, "'Cept that it ain't lava underneath us... just a bottomless chasm."

"Not helping Mac!" Estelle retorted,

"This path seems much steeper than the valley path we crossed back there," Flash analysed, "As I said, take your time here."

"Okay!" Francesca plopped down cross-legged and pulled out her water bottle, while the others went to find something to sit on. Sweetie was the only one left standing, and something was on her mind.

"Hey Flash? Can I ask you something?" She asked,

"Yeah!"

"Did Scootaloo say anything about you watching over me and the others?"

"No."

"What? She definitely would have told you to do that!"

"Haha, she said MORE than that. But mum's the word." Flash laughed,

"I don't know that idiom," Sweetie replied,

"It's a secret." Flash answered, "But regardless, you can count on me to watch your backs!"

"You're a good guy Flash. Strong too. You were a fool ever since we stepped foot in Grastaea, getting yourself recklessly injured by something you don't know." Sweetie smiled, "But now, you're a different person with new strength, and you've proven that you are good with lances. It's... really nice that I can see you change with my own eyes, and I also believe that you can beat that same enemy."

"Oh Goddess, Scoots was right!" Flash whispered to himself,

"What was that?" Sweetie Belle picked up,

"N-Nothing!" Flash looked back with a smile,

"So I want you to be careful. I don't want you repeating that reckless action!"

"I understand, Sweetie. I promise you, I won't let a fiend touch you. Or at least, they'll have to go through me first."

"Thanks, Flash." Sweetie beamed,

"But relax! We haven't even bumped into a single fiend back at Kleifheim. I say we take our chances and get moving!"

Fifteen globes of dark light burst all around the resting party, leaving behind a group of fiends of different types.

"I was about to say don't tempt fate alongside your bravado. Looks like they beat me to the punch," Sweetie patted the teen's shoulder with a disappointed look, "Good work Flash. No hard feelings."

Flash drew the Strong Halberd without a word, with Cleo, Estelle and Adagio did the same with their weapons. The team observed their adversaries, there were five slimes and four goblins hopping and advancing without any shred of organisation, all attuned with light. They turned to the other six fiends, new and unfamiliar in everything.

"Three oversized rats, two mad-looking bulls... and a lizard on two legs wielding a sword and shield." Francesca observed, "They're nothing,"

Taking offence, the rats leapt towards them and swung their abnormally sharp claws.

"Argh!" Flash got slashed in the middle of his chest,

"Yeow!" Estelle got nicked on her lower leg,

"Why you-" Francesca got sliced on her upper chest... which left a wobbling sensation. Infuriated, she lunges her dagger forward at the rat and misses. The rat swiftly leaps back to where it first appeared, hissing and chattering with its four sharp teeth.

"They move and evade fast. Hit and run is their tactic." Cleo advised, "The best way to take them down is to chase them down and hit just as fast. You're suited for the job Francesca,

"Duly noted," Francesca saluted,

"That being said, you can also get their attention and have someone strike their blind spot,"

"Now that is my style!" Francesca gave a toothed grin, "Hey, idiot! I want you to distract these fiendish rodents!"

Flash couldn't respond. He was busy staring down the shock rat that attacked him.

"That's the same place where I bled..." Flash fumed, "You asked for it!"

The shock rat leapt forward with his claw up once again. Flash bravely held this lance in defence. With a loud clash, the Shock rat's nails hooked onto the pole and was unable to carry out its attack.

"Third time's an omen pal," Flash shook his head. Immediately, Francesca dashed to the rat's side and repeatedly stabbed the fiend all over until it collapsed into dust.

"Thanks. You actually did what you're told," Francesca lightly nudged Flash's arm, "Think you can do the same for the rest?"

"Seems they've got it handled," Estelle asked, "How about we take care of the easy enemies?"

"Very well, let's be quick about this. Up close" Cleo nodded.

They turn to the Spark slimes and Lustrous goblins and marched forward, firing their magic with deadly accuracy. It took Estelle about five to six orbs to take one out, but a single shot from Cleo's staff.

"Of course!" Estelle laughed as they defeated a slime each, "Shadow beats light!"

"It may be far from home, but the mountains are where my offensive power excels!" Cleo laughed back,

"Ah, but it's also where your defensive power diminishes!"

"True..."

"Are you two ladies done?" Ms M asked,

"Oh. Uhh..." The two ladies paused,

"That's okay. May I have a go at them?" Flames ignited on her hands,

"Ooh!" Estelle looked intrigued, "Sure! Have fun, Ms M!"

"I will!!!" Mym roared and charged forward at the three slimes. "Dragon Claw!" She chanted,

The flames on her left hand... no... her ENTIRE hand, shifted into a giant dragon's claw caked in flames. With a terrifying swish of her claw, the Spark slimes were reduced into melting droplets and pot fragments.

"Oh. My. Goddess. I could feel that force..." Estelle's jaws dropped, "Terrifying, yet... a blazing extravagance!"

"I'm honoured, darling!" Mym overheard, "Hey scrappers! Are any of your skills prepared?"

"Yes!" Came Flash and Francesca's response, while chasing down the frisky Shock rats.

"Good..." Mym smiled, grabbing the four Lustrous Goblins with both her claws and throwing them into the air. Before they touched the ground, she revealed her dragon tail within her dress and batted the fiends towards the two.

"Wallop all the goblins and rats in one blow!"

"Don't tell me what to do!" Francesca growled, "Peregrine Blade!"

Enchanted by mana, the dagger flew like the falcon, intercepting both the goblin and rat groups and piercing them through.

"Go, idiot!" Francesca caught her dagger,

"Hrah!" Flash took a deep breath and slid the spearhead on the rocky ground. It turned blue, crackling with electrical energy. Tightening his grip, the boy aimed his charged lance at the staggered fiends,

"Lance Cannon!" He chanted at the top of his lungs; the chant to fire that lance. The blue energy launched off with a bang, as loud and fast as a cannon. The electric cannonball, its physical force and magical energy combined, bowled into the horde and vaporised every single trace of the fiends it enveloped.

"Aww yeah!!!" Flash raised his lance to the air, "I have the power! I! Am! awesome!" The joy he felt was indescribable. What he did rivals even the pony magic Rarity has!!!

"A solid stance," Cleo judged with a smile, "Exceptional,"

"An A+ on power and skill execution!" Mym graded, "Brilliant!"

"For first impressions... I can appreciate it," Francesca shrugged,

A small blush appeared on Sweetie's face. To see a classmate of his train hard and follow instructions in a humbling and embarrassing way. Now she was certain that all the training has paid off. It was extremely admirable too! Estelle was about to say a compliment but was interrupted by the rumbling sensation underneath their feet.

"Right, the bulls." Estelle remembered, "Hey Cleo. How do we take care of those fiend types?"

"We classify them as bison. As for how, well... would you stand in the way of a charging bull in your world? Oh and, they may also swing their tails and rumps as weapons too."

"Ah, very well. You heard Ms Cleo!"

The two Bearded Bisons were on a mad rampage against their targets, kicking up an unruly amount of dust and smoke. Mym, like the fearless dragon she is, unleashed her Dragon Claws once again. This time, she held out her claws and caught the bison without being pushed back. Even fiends followed the law of forces, and within its unholy body, something snapped.

"Oh, I'm not done with you!" Mym closes her talons around the bison and repeatedly slams it on the ground. Sometimes swinging it overhead before slamming it down. After ten times, she lifted the bison to the sky,

"Today's lunch and dinner is fiend beef; roasted by... The Flames of Passion!"

With a huff, the Crimson Teacher spat a beam of purple-pinkish fire. It did not linger, and the speed was quick and instantaneous that it looked like she was breathing a laser.

"Oops..." Mym dropped a heap of ashes onto the ground, "I overdid it, again. I'll never be a good cook let alone a good partner!"

The second Bearded Bison charged towards the party of four. Flash bravely confronted it by attracting its attention and dodging his charges and body checks. As he does so, Cleo and Estelle focused their relentless attacks on it. Sometimes, Flash was able to nick or pierce a little of the fiend's neck, weakening its lethal power.

"On the shoulders!" Flash commanded. From the side, Francesca pounced on the bison and began stabbing its shoulders, swapping at every side when possible. Enraged, the Bison unleashed its hidden fury and tossed the merchant off its back.

"Gotcha!" Big Mac caught Francesca safely in his arms, holding her like a princess.

"Eh heh heh..." Big Mac chuckled at the dumbfounded merchant,

"Thanks. Now put me down already..." Francesca instructed.

"Phew..." Big Mac spoke to himself after seeing the merchant dust herself off, "Not gonna lie, those legs were... fit as a fiddle!"

"Alright! Release the beams!" Flash signalled. The two staff wielders fired their force strike, piercing the leg muscles in both the front and the back. The bison was now immobilised, and all it took for Flash was to knock its head low and drive the spear through the shoulder blades. The bison went limp and lifeless in an instant.

Pulling out the halberd, Flash twirled his body and lance, dancing to some imaginary Caballoespañan music ringing in his head.

"Olé!" Sweetie Belle and Big Mac exclaimed as Flash struck the final pose, as the bison disintegrates behind him.

"Now we just have one enemy left..." Flash turned around, "The Lizardman!"

Without any emotional movement, the lizard turned around and fled,

"Hey! Get back here!" Flash gave chase until the voices of Sweetie and Scootaloo popped into his mind.

"On second thoughts," Flash slowed down, "Let's advance as a team!"


The Tawny Lizardman scampered up the crossing, nearing the Sandscale cliffs. It thought for a moment that he would lose its pursuers but was proven wrong when he turned back. The seven human-like figures did not fall behind, running as fast as the bison.

"You're cornered," Estelle warned, "Unless you promise to leave us be, we have no choice but to defeat you,"

The lizardman hissed at his pursuers and arms himself,

"You have chosen poorly," Flash chanted, readying his halberd,

"Flash..." Sweetie warned,

"Fire at will!" Francesca commanded.

Estelle and Cleo launched a slow barrage of orbs at the fiend. It just raised its shield in defence,

"Hang on..." Flash observed.

The bolts made a direct hit, but the Tawny lizardman was unaffected, adamantly holding up his shield. Confused, Estelle threw one orb, and that's when everyone saw it touch a blue dome composed of hexagons and fizzle out.

"Cleo, you never told the kids that this fiend's shield wasn't for show." Ms M looked disappointed,

"Well pardon me if I'm unable to educate the kids on all the fiends beforehand. Besides, you and I know that fiends appear randomly in every sense of the word." Cleo groaned,

"So he can block projectiles. I will remember that." Flash answered, "Can it be broken?"

"Yes. With 'force'."

"Is that so? Then I've got the force right here!" Estelle smiled as the Loving Hand began to glow. The preacher charged forward, her staff raised high.

"Wait! I actually meant a force strike!" Cleo warned. The preacher wasn't able to listen and leapt high into the air,

"Witness THE LOVELESS HAND!"

Estelle drives the hand down, colliding with the hexagonal dome and pushing it and the fiend into the ground.

"What?" Estelle leapt back, "But how!?"

"When Cleo said 'force', she meant the Force Strike," Flash explained,

"You could have told me the actual attack instead of leaving it vague!" Estelle blasted, "Now I have expended my most powerful attack for nothing!"

The lizardman, still with his dome-creating shield raised, hopped out of the crater made by the Loving Hand and marched forward.

"Leave it to me!" Flash bent his legs and pulled his lance back. With one loud grunt, the student lunged forward with his lance and pierced through the dome, cleaving the shield with the axe-part of the spearhead, and straight into the lizard's chest. Flash drove him past the crater, then shoved it off his halberd, pushing him back into it.

"Careful Flash! You're fighting right next to the edge of the cliff!" Ms M warned,

"Got it!" Flash acknowledged.

Black liquid oozed out of the fiend's wound, evaporating before it even stained the rocks. The lizard looked at his assailant and made a frightening combination of hisses, clicks and squeals. It sharply swung one of its legs up and forward, kicking a cloud of dust, pebbles, and rocks into the teenagers face.

"Argh!" Flash reels back, his eyes closed in pain.

"Flash!" Everyone yelled.

The fiend did not let this opportunity go to waste. The lizardman hopped out of the crater and charged for him, sword at the ready.

"Flash! Be careful! He's going to get you!" Sweetie yelled, but it was too late. Flash was unable to hear the girl's warnings as the fiend stepped into range and aimed for Flash's neck.

But in the blink of an eye, Flash blocked the slash with a quick flick of his lance. With his eyes closed, he lowered his body and tripped up the lizardman's legs. Once the fiend's body touched the ground, Flash ran the spearhead at the source of the sound. The lizardman was impaled once again, and this time for good.

"Ooh..." Flash dusted off his eyes as the final fiend disintegrated.

"Flash! You made it!" Sweetie, Estelle, Big Mac, Cleo and Ms M cheered, "That was a close call!"

"Yeah..." Flash looked back with a big sigh of relief, "That was a close call."

And with one foot towards them, the crater in front of him cracked in half. The faces of relief turned into faces of horror as both sides looked at each other for one last time before the ground fell apart, sending Flash into the chasm.

"Flash!!!" Estelle exclaimed,

"Flash Sentry!!!" Sweetie's voice exploded into fear. She ran over to the edge. All she could see was the outline of the boy when he fell through the clouds, which was soon covered up.

"Out of the way! I'm going down!" Mym roared, already transformed into her true form. The Flamewyrm jumped off the crossing and dive-bombed into the cloudly chasm below.

"But... how... how?" Sweetie told herself, "How can the ground crumble?"

Then it hit her. She looked at the crater, now cut in half. The ground was originally stable, but slamming the lizardman with his shield onto the ground was like hammering a nail with such force that its shock waves affected even its surroundings. Sweetie turned to her older sister who was also pale and shaking all over. It seems she too knew how it happened.

"No... Flash... I... Don't tell me I set this up... I... I..."

"Stop!" Big Mac and Francesca grabbed the preacher and shook her, "It's not your fault, it was an accident!" They spoke in unison,

"But... in this case..."

"It's going to be okay," Cleo assured, holding the preacher's hands, "Everything will be fine. Mym's going to save him, and we can heal him quickly..."

In response, Brunhilda emerged from the chasm, her wings flapping with strict balance.

"Ms M!" Sweetie looked back, "Did... you..."

The Flamewyrm's arms and claws were empty, and everyone bore witness to that.

"Is... he...?" Sweetie looked up to her face,

The Flamewyrm closed her eyes, her jaws and mouth etched upward. A large tear trickled down her eye as the dragon shook her head.

Sweetie clasped her mouth. She too began to cry.

"I'm sorry... I cannot find a single trace of him." Brunhilda declared,

"Oh, Goddess..." Sweetie broke down, "Scootaloo... Mr and Mrs Sentry... everyone... Flash... I'm so sorry..."

"S-Sweetie Belle?" Francesca reached out,

"I'M SORRY!!!"

TO BE CONTINUED

Next Chapter: A Fighter in Death???