• Published 3rd Jun 2019
  • 2,639 Views, 38 Comments

Equestria Lost: Dragons beyond time - Tythen



Adagio Dazzle had been spotted by her enemies. While trying to shake them off her tail, she inadvertently brought them to her homestay: A land full of Untold History, Adventurers, Paintings, and Dragons... Dragons? In this side of Equestria??

  • ...
3
 38
 2,639

The Aquatic Guardian's Trial

Author's Note:

Some small music links down there, you know what to do!

"Really!? Another one!?!?!?" Rarity screeched,

"Shh!" Sweetie shushed, gesturing to the floor of her bedroom, "Not so loud!"

"Facing one challenge from Ms M was a brush with death," Rarity retorted, "Now there's another!?"

"Look, I know the last dragon trial was extremely dangerous, but we've overcome it by its rules. We can take this one!"

"I appreciate your optimism, but we don't know what this trial is about!"

"The venue is at Myriage Lake. My guess is something harder than a watercoaster. Unless that scares you already,"

"You have a daring mind if you're comparing an amusement ride to a Dragon!"

"At least we can prepare for it, we have until this Saturday. We'll train as much as we can in the Elemental ruins, or if you're daring, teach some fiends in the Binding Ruins the power of The Loveless Hand!"

"You know, I thought sealing the Flow Eternal would have stopped any fiends from reappearing in the ruins and yet... they still do." Rarity sighed,

"If it makes you feel any better, it wasn't as bad as when the Flow Eternal was active. It just spawns fiends in the same rate as the forest, lake, volcano, and mountain range." Sweetie reminded, "And we all know that isn't enough to cause a catastrophe!"

"You have a point," Rarity cheered up a little,

"And besides!" Sweetie gleefully pulls out the gold orb, "Your little sister has an essence of her own!!!"

"Oh?" Rarity raised her eyebrows, "Well that's something. I thought we were going to save up on wyrmite until the next episode of your show!"

"Mercury gave me a single summon voucher as thanks for chatting with her," Sweetie beamed, as the orb turned into a lance, "And coincidentally, it belongs to Pia!"

"Fabulous!" Rarity beamed back, "To think we have gotten three of the heroes whose possessions were gifted to us. All that just leaves is Flash with the Prince,"

"Hmm..." Sweetie looked troubled, "Getting the Prince's essence won't be as simple as summoning. He's the one who can, as well as let others, transform into any pactbound dragon. Do you really think the summoning lady can bring the Prince's essence?"

"We can always ask!" Rarity hoped, "Alright then. Looks like we'll spend time after school training. We'll need to call the boys and... wait. Does Adagio and Ms Cleo have mobile phones?"

"Hmm... I don't think so..." Sweetie pondered, "Maybe we can get one for them on their birthdays!"


"Sweet Apples... another trial? Ah could remember the pain... but if it jus' involves water, Ah ain't afraid at all." Big Mac responded,

"Look I understand the reasons behind the Dragon Trials. But with all due respect, I don't know if I can personally stomach another trial after the one in the volcano... just kidding. Four days worth of training will be more than enough to take on Mercury's challenge." Flash joked,


On Tuesday, Rarity had all the necessary supplies to start and recover from a two-hour-long session of training. After saying goodbye to her best friends, she met up with her sister and the two boys.

"Everyone is accounted for," Rarity counted, "Let us be off!" She spun the Loving Hand like a baton and pointed it towards the direction of the park,

"Uh Rarity, what did you pack?" Flash noticed, "A towel and a water bottle would be sufficient enough."

"Flash, Flash, Flash..." Rarity condescendingly shook her head, "Personal hygiene is extremely important. Sweat is an extremely strong odour, and can stick on your skin and clothes!"

"Point taken," Flash shrugged, "I agreed to change bath towels every Wednesday, but mum insisted that I change it the moment it stinks up, which happens after two to three days! I must be doing something awful if I sweat and stink so quickly. But still, I'm curious about what you've packed,"

"Flash, you spout too much info for your own good. But anyway, I packed a fresh set of clothes, my shampoo and body soap, a towel to wear into the baths and a towel to dry! Also, some deodorant. Same with Sweetie," Rarity counted,

"Don't Ms Cleo provide towels and soap?" Big Mac reminded, "The Halidom is shared by many folks, after all!"

"Point taken!" Sweetie mockingly repeated, "I told you they'd remember, Rarity!"

"Yes well, pardon my forgetfulness!" Rarity rolled her eyes, "Now if you keep on rubbing it in, I'll slap you for needless provoking!"

"Hold it!!!" A fiery voice bellowed at them,

"Aah!!!" The four turned around with their hands in the air. A tall teacher with purple-red hair stormed towards them,

"Physical Abuse, whether targeted or two-way, is not endorsed in this school!!!" She fumed, then flashed a playful smile, "Save that for when you go to the Halidom!" She calmly suggested,

"Ms M," Sweetie exhaled, "Please don't do that again, I thought you were another teacher!"

"There is no other teacher like me," Ms M chuckled, "I've been 'criticised' by fellow teachers about my strict and 'volcanic' behaviour. No one would dare take my tone with the students."

"Well that also led to your silent but infamous reputation among the students," Sweetie countered, "If you weren't such a devoted teacher, I'm sure the students would petition to axe you!"

"Anyway, I thought I might accompany you to the Halidom!" Ms M offered, "As your teacher and keeper of our bond, I am obligated to help you train!"

"Well aren't we blessed? This trial's going to be a walk in the park with you to train us!" Flash smiled, "Thanks aplenty, Ms M!"


The four CHS students and CHS teacher briskly walked out of the school, and down the streets towards their destination about a couple of blocks away: Mayleaf Park. Within the park is the entrance to a large bushwalking trail, aptly named the Mayleaf Trail. And within the Mayleaf Trail...

"You know the drill everyone," Ms M informed the students in front of a tree arch, where a thick layer of mist rests in its area. "When you enter the mist, think about the Halidom. Maybe a specific area of the Halidom. You can also think about Adagio or Cleo too, but if they happen to be doing something that requires privacy... let's not think about it, you have been warned."

"We've done this many times already," Sweetie moaned, "We're not going to mess up!"

"There are such things as carelessness." Ms M frowned, "Maybe you're not the only person who had come across the mist. Others may have ventured into the portal but never mentioned it to the public because their desires have potentially led them to an unreturnable fate."

The four gulped.

"Duly noted," Sweetie squeaked, "How about we all reach the Halidom's courtyard?"

"Sounds good," Ms M approved, and the other three nodded in agreement. "Now, let's go!!!"

One by one, the CHS crew ventured in. First Sweetie, then Flash, then Big Mac, then Rarity, and lastly Ms M.


All five members thankfully were whisked right where they needed to go. The dirt path underneath their boots turned into hard stone, as the foggy mist cleared around each of them, revealing a large area filled with facilities below them, and a large castle towering above them.

"You have reached your destination," Flash cooed. "Now, where's our Siren n' Sylvan?"

"Adagioooo?" Sweetie hollered, "Ms Cleoooo?"

"Who's ther--, oh. It's YOU." Adagio poked her head out from one of the Halidom's open windows. "Hang on a sec, I'll get Cleo and come down. Hey Cleo!!! We got visitors!!!"

A few five minutes of awkward silence, the humanised Siren with her curly luminous vivid orange hair with yellow streaks and purple outfit with studded spikes exited the Halidom interior, followed by a girl with large purple twin-tails, a stylish dress of black and white, white over-knee socks, and a collar bell tied on each shoe.

"Good Afternoon everyone." Cleo curtseyed and smiled, "How was school?"

"Same as always," Rarity responded, "But we've got some news to share,"

"Given that Mym is here with you in her 'Ms M' attire, I assume it's something big,"

"The Waterwyrm is giving us a challenge as Ms M did," Flash explained,

"Is she? That's... odd. She'd never heed anyone to complete a trial." Cleo reacted,

"Ms M did the same thing. By force, I might add."

"You're never going to get over that, are you?" Ms M sighed,

"A trial from the Waterwyrm," Adagio chuckled, "If it's anything to do with water, I'm going to crush it!!! Well... me and Francesca,"

"I may have skimmed some details with you, Sweetie. So I'll explain as best as I can." Ms M apologised, "Mercury says she senses something dangerous, hence wanting the five of you to take this trial."

"I know the first half, but for the second half... five of us?"

"Neither Cleo nor I can take it alongside you."

"What??? Why!?!?"

"She told me, in her unbiased view, that the five of you are very much capable of holding your own and each other. There's no need for us to hold your hand. Now that I think back on it, she's right!"

"I fail to see why..." Rarity objected,

"Cleo is a healer while I, a dragon, can also fight in a human form with a lance. You, on your own, have two healers, a lance-user, and a dagger-user who's capable for turning into the equivalent of a dragon herself!"

The five blinked,

"She's right," Big Mac spoke, "Didn't think that one through,"

"But what about-" Rarity started,

"Which is why I am here with you," Ms M interrupted, "Cleo can help you expand and extend your mana, staff, and dagger skills, I can help with lance training and how to be a dragon, Adagio."

"It sounds like a wonderful idea. I will be happy to teach." Cleo nodded,

"Listen up, class." Ms M announced, "As you know, Mercury's trial will be at Myriage Lake on Saturday. If you have any plans for the weekend, you need to choose between this or your plans. Otherwise, I will let Mercury know, and she can at least change or extend the trial date."

"Nope," Big Mac shook his head, as did the others.

"Wonderful!" Ms M smiled and set her self aflame with the swish of her hand,

"From now until the trial, you are to address me as Ms M or Ma'am. No Mym, Brunhilda, or whatever," The fiery silhouette spoke, "Mercury has hidden the details of what the trial will entail, even from me. But, she wants all five of you to be present and prepared. By Ilia and all the Dragons, Ms Cleo and I will see to it!"

When the flames disappeared, gone were Ms M's glasses and teacher's outfit, replaced by her semi-human attire; armour, horns, tail and all.

"Any questions?" She asked with a raised eyebrow,

"No, Ma'am!" Went the four students,

"Whatever," Went Adagio,


The four days of promised training were nothing but challenging. Rarity and Big Mac were assigned healing training in the Binding Ruins. Cleo's regime was to prioritise and focus on the offensive skills as staff could give. As far as the students' basic knowledge of the weapons went, the staff was the slowest of the eight, as well as having the lowest damage output. That being said, its Force Strike was considered to be the best out of the ranged weapons by a mile.

"Healing Faith!"

"Spirited Song!""

"Healing Faith!!!"

"Spirited Song!!!"

By landing attacks on any target, Estelle and Vixel, respectively Rarity and Big Mac's equipped essence, built up the energy necessary for their healing spells. When they were ready, they summoned hands of prayer and healing melodies respectively. This process is repeated again and again. If one were to stand outside at the entrance's ruins, they would hear the over-the-top chanting combined with the melody.

"This is exhausting..." Estelle sighed after her twentieth time according to Cleo's count, "Who knew that healing someone who's already at full health would be so demotivating? Can't we just improve the magic through our mana circles?"

"True, but what we're also training here are your reactions and focus as a healer. Your allies can go from healthy to severely damaged within a split second or a single hit. You need to make sure you aren't distracted by any means. It's like playing a sport. Take for example tennis. If you get distracted even just for a millisecond, a ball may sail past you, costing a point. Or worst-case scenario hit you."

"I despise it when you have a point..." Estelle grumbled,

If fiends were not popping up as fast as the two healers took them down, they would move to a new area. Sometimes, the enemies they faced were as fragile as glass; defeated by one or two shots. Other times, the enemy was large and sturdy, requiring even more orbs or Force Strikes to take down, even with the elemental advantage.

"Oh COME ON!!!" Estelle moaned, staring down a Shadow Lizardman. "Er... I mean, I understand there are different elemental versions of fiends, but did it have to be the specific one who..." She shuddered, "Easily brushed us aside like clumps of dust?"

"No," Vixel gallantly shook his head,

"Oh come on, McIntosh! Why don't you say more than your usual few-worded self? You weren't like this when we first came to Grastaea!"

"Like you, I do not have fond memories about that Menacing Lizardman. However, this one lacks the very things the Menace had. One, it's much smaller. And two, it lacks the very aura that earns such a classification."

"What!?"

"If it makes it easier, just attack the fiend with nothing but Force Strikes. His shield will be useless against it. Watch."

Vixel took a deep breath and lunged his wooden staff, named Staff of Affection, at the target. A brilliant yellow ray shot from the staff' crooked top, piercing the Shadow Lizardman through its chest. It wasn't enough to kill it when the ray disappeared, but it instinctively raised its shield in both ways: The one in its grasp and the blue hexagonal dome. Indifferent, Vixel took a deep breath and fired again, shattering the hexagonal dome, shooting through the shield, and burning a new hole in the fiend. The Shadow Lizardman felt its senses burn away, before falling limp on the ground,"

"It seems someone likes to complain a lot," Cleo evaluated, "I was going to tell you guys to stop at thirty skills, but you've earned yourself ten more Healing Faiths. If you want to be motivated with healing, be my guest and brave a hit or two."

"You wouldn't do that..." Rarity challenged,

"20 more. Now." Cleo glared,

"That's on you sis," Sweetie chimed in, watching the training.


Flash's training involved fighting with his most proficient weapon, the lance. Unlike Adagio, Rarity and Big Mac, Flash had prior knowledge in fighting with a weapon. Once he was able to a certain source of power breathable only in Grastaea, he was able to fight without the essences of New Alberia's adventurers. He wasn't sent to the ruins to fight fiends. Rather, his lesson was a fiery crash course on lance-play by Ms M on the Halidom Castle Grounds.

"Ha!" Flash swung his wooden lance from below,

"Tricky!" Mym commented as she deflected the upward swing, "And it's impressive that you know your distance between your lance and the ground!"

"Bo Staffs come in different lengths. It's important to learn the length of your weapon. It is considered an extension of one's limbs, after all." Flash responded, going in for a forward lunge.

"Clever," Mym chuckled as she slapped the oncoming spearhead with the back of her hand, "You focus on technique, but your strength desires more,"

"Woah!" Flash stumbled forward from the redirection but quickly moved his back leg forward to stop his fall then drove the hand furthest from his body on the spear, angling it towards the Flamewyrm.

"Nice recovery," Mym blocked the retaliation with her lance, "But like I said, strength... and awareness!" She slipped her tail behind both of Flash's legs and swiped them off the ground.

"Woah!" Flash yelped as he fell backwards and hit the grass with a painful plop. "Ow..." With Mym seeing the boy down in pain, she stepped over Flash, pressing her weapon on his neck,

"Well?" Mym looked smug and triumphant, "Feeling blessed and prepared yet?"

"That's underhanded..." Flash groaned,

"Don't complain! Weren't you the one who was able to anticipate Adagio's tail, back when you were fighting her?"

"That was a real fight. This is just sparring training for the lance!!!"

"You must be aware of what's around you at all times, fiends would take that sort of advantage. In the old Dragon Trials, they were real fights too. Anything goes, until one is side is convinced that either they are outmatched, or worthy."

"Fiends taking advantage huh? I thought they were dumb and had one-track minds." Flash mumbled,

"Except-"

"But I was proven wrong when I got dust kicked in my eye, I know." Flash finished, "Can you get off me now? If you step any closer, I'm going to be called a pervert by our spectator over there."

"What?" Sweetie Belle called back,


Adagio's training had two distinct lessons which were strenuous in both athletics, acrobatics, and willpower. The first session involved raising her dagger proficiency in her Francesca form, and it took place in the Dagger Dojo. Compared to the lance dojo, the dagger dojo was filled to the brim with obstacles, stepping stones of different heights, and narrow pathways between walls of differing heights, not to mention training dummies on wheels. It also mixed with some modern gymnastic equipment like vaults, beat boards, and parallel bars.

"Remember, Adagio. A dagger does not cut or pierce as deep as the other melee weapons," Cleo instructed as she nimbly hopped from one stepping stone to another while performing tricks and spins alongside swinging her dagger, "The main strength of a dagger user is how swift they are. Through our hopping and dashing, these are the opportunities that we use to strike. Notice how fast they swing per second, and how quick they are to approach the targeted enemy from a distance. Alex, a former assassin and ally of ours used those basics to the fullest. Sneaking in the shadows, taking their target. She helped teach some of our dagger-wielding adventurers too, for the sake of New Alberia's protection, even me."

"She sounds like a nice femme fatale... but why let someone like her join you?" Francesca inquired as she hopped along,

"She's not the only assassin his highness had invited," Cleo responded, "At least two assassins as far as I can remember from the top of my head joined. He also enlisted mercenaries, disgraced soldiers and officers from different nations, travellers, and even to those who had crossed blades against New Alberia. Did I not remember telling you that?"

"Slipped my mind," Francesca apathetically spoke, "Never really turned an eye to history,"

"Perhaps you should heed it, given your next period of instruction," Cleo suggested, finishing the stepping course,

"Okay okay." Francesca nodded as he finished the course, "One more question though... whenever you wield a dagger, why do you dress like you're in Hearth's Warming Eve?"

"Oh, this?" Cleo playfully shook her head, ringing the bells attached to her red and white hood, "Well, like with the essences, the costume, weapon proficiency, as well as the mana comes as a package. You see, I'm not attuned to Shadow in this state. For a festive occasion, my desires and will for these days changed it to Water. I'm not the only adventurer who has these 'alternate' styles, though I'm sure you can tell which is which as I've compiled them in the biographies."

"Huh, never knew that could happen. And again, never really read the books myself. Hey, shorty! If you can hear me, can you get some bios of adventurers that have alts?"

Nothing came back.

"Shorty? I'm calling you! Aren't you supposed to respond!?" Francesca called again, this time moving towards the place where Sweetie watched.

"Uwahhhh..." Sweetie sat on the floor, her head and eyes spinning around. Francesca was surprised,

"Woah, shorty... what happened to you?"

"Too... fast... 4 me..." Sweetie moaned

"Oh my. We must have been darting around the dojo a lot," Cleo deduced.


Adagio's second training was with Ms M, and a special one at that, happening on the Castle Grounds like Flash.

"It's been a long time since you were in your true form, I heard. The problem is that it's temporary, and it follows the shapeshifting procedure. That's what we'll be learning today." Mym explained.

"So uh..." Francesca fiddled with the green pactstone around her neck, the source behind her new transformative ability, "How does it work?"

"The dragonblood in my Darling's family line allows him and others to shapeshift into the many dragons he made pacts with. Something he can also do is allow his allies to shapeshift as he can, regardless if royal or not. When shapeshifted, the dragons' strength and known abilities will be added to your knowledge, and no damage will come to their human form. However, shapeshifting is very taxing to the mind and body so humans and sylvans aren't able to hold their form for long, and getting hit as a dragon will reduce that time even further. You are quite a special case. Since you have your own 'Dragon' form, you don't need dragonblood or a pact with a dragon to transform. But like my Darling and the rest of the humans and sylvans, your true form runs on borrowed time and energy."

"Is there a possibility to extend that time?"

"Of course there is!" Mym assured, "The main influence is the bond you have with the dragon that you shapeshift into."

"So basically I can't extend MY time." Adagio looked disappointed, "We don't have a proper 'pact', and I don't know how I'm able to increase the bond when I'm a siren."

"Hmm..." Mym thought hard, "... Well, I guess you can experiment for yourself. Liiiike... increase the number of bonds you have? Make new ones? I can see you have lots of care for Cleo. What about improving the ones you have? Make new ones?"

Francesca's face went pale.

"I know. Friendship. A point and plot device in many TV shows and Video Games, very cliche. But that's because it has a lot of value in real life." Mym elaborated, "After all, it was its power that brought about your downfall. You and your sisters. Sweetie told me the story,"

"Tch," Francesca spat,

"Alright, enough bad memories." Mym changed the subject, "There aren't any strict methods for shapeshifting. Just simply call for the dragon's power with your voice and soul. For example, my darling would focus would say 'Dragon, I invoke thee!'. Or you could be snazzy and over-the-top, by posing, calling for the dragon to give you their power, but not before some witty description of the dragon's powers and nature."

"That is cheesy and embarrassing." Francesca shuddered,

"I beg to differ. I find it very charming when my name and powers are called like that," Mym giggled, "But if you prefer the simple way, then sure. Do you remember how you transformed back at Sweetie's little video gig?"

Francesca's eyebrows furrowed,

"They were picking fun at me by lumping me with your ridiculous version of a Siren." The merchant answered, "I needed to show my true form on camera, and to get back at those Rainbums..."

"Then that should be how you can transform. When you find a need to pull it out, do it. Show the world your true form..."

Mym smiled and gave a beckoning gesture with a single finger,

"... Show me what you got," Mym taunted,

Francesca looked at Mym in the eye then gave a wicked grin. The pactstone began to glow.

"You really want to take that tone with me?" Francesca got onto her tiptoes and lifted off the ground. "Even when you fell to my song? Alrighty then..."

Streams of orange burst from the pactstone and flew into Francesca, making her body glow orange, and for her Brillant Rasberry eyes to turn Gamboge.

"Witness my alluring form and fall!" Francesca laughs explodes in a violent storm of wind. Once again, an enormous golden hippocampus took the merchant's place once the wind subsided. The siren looked at her two hooves, her tail, and then her back. It was just as she remembered before her exile to the human world. The only difference is that the green pactstone was embroidered on her chest, rather than an empty black hole, or the crystal that made up Adagio's former amulet in the human world.

"I must admit..." The siren opened her jaws, "It feels nice when you stop and feel what it's like to be back in your true form."

"Still though, it's impressive that you're somehow larger than me... I dare say you're even larger than Zodiark!" Mym complimented, "In that case, let me join in the fun!"

Mym floated off the air and closed her eyes. On her heart, a red fire came to light, growing in intensity by the millisecond. At its peak, the fire exploded, engulfing Mym whole and transforming her into her true form: The Flamewyrm Brunhilda.

"So, Adagio..." Brunhilda flapped her wings, "Would you like to demonstrate how you would fight as a 'Siren'?"

"Fighting hmm???" Adagio thought, "Well... I could swing my tail, snap my teeth, oh! And this!!!"

With a deep breath, Adagio turned her head to the sky and fired a large magical ray of vivid amaranth to the skies. It penetrated various layers of clouds, shooting up to the stratosphere before dying out.

"Few things can withstand its power without being vaporised completely," Adagio grinned, with her sharp teeth.

"So you weren't talking a big game about your powers. You really could have torn a hole through Midgardsomr if you tried!"

"You bet I could," Adagio grinned, "Now, I can show you the extent of my spe--"

Before she could finish, Adagio's scaly body started glowing abnormally, as if she was a light turning on and off repeatedly. Suddenly, the Siren combusted into magical energy, leaving Adagio hanging in the air in human form. It didn't take long for the siren to realise she had turned back into the cheerful merchant.

"Wah!!!" Francesca squealed as gravity pulled her down, landing her bottom on the grass. Nearby, a little spectating crusader paused a stopwatch with a click and a 'beep'.

"Sweetie?" Brunhilda, still in her dragon form, turned to Sweetie, "How long did it take?"

"About 7.6 seconds," Sweetie reported,

"You were timing me???" Francesca looked at the youngest of the CHS students, "And what for-- that's how long I last!?!?"

"As of now, dear siren. As of now," Brunhilda assured, "As I said, there is always the possibility of extending that time. A good thing to know is you don't have to be your normal self in order to transform. You can do it in the guise of someone else!"

"So make more friends huh? Easier said than done!" Francesca grouched,

"I think it's the perfect opportunity to do so!" Brunhilda responded, "Cleo is filling out the paperwork for you to return to CHS! I'm sure you can make friends in no-- oh that's right. I see what you mean."

"If I may suggest something," Sweetie piped up, "Why don't you start with Sunset and the rest? I know they're the ones who destroyed your magic, but they're also the ones who have the heart to forgive! Or maybe it doesn't have to be with students, you can do it with the teachers or others outside school! Like your customers!"

"I guess... you have a point," Francesca gave a puzzling look, "Still trying to wrap my head around doing that though..."


At the end of each student's training, the four gathered together to meditate and use the castle's stored mana to build up their own in every day of training.

"We have almost a limitless supply of mana from skirmishes and fights long ago." Cleo answered, "That being said, essences start with empty mana circles. If you plan to fill up the mana circle of every single adventurer, it may deplete our stock immensely."

"Uh... Ms Cleo? Ms M? Can you hear me?" Estelle asked,

"We can," Mym responded, back in semi-human form.

"I'm trying to direct mana into some nodes, but it seems to be rejecting the light. Am I doing something wrong?"

"If you're putting it in a purple or orange node, you'll need to absorb some elemental orbs or dragon scales." Cleo called back, "We've brought all of them out here just in case."

"It's that small statue in the middle... I can tell it needs orbs and mana, but it's still rejecting me."

"Hmm..." Cleo pondered, "Maybe you need a little more experience as Estelle,"

"Woah!" Vixel exclaimed. As he did so, some light elemental orbs that were brought along vanished.

"Oh my," Mym observed, "You must have learned a new skill or ability..."


"Come on Vixel," A shaven piano instructor encouraged, "You're playing too smooth! Too mellow! Too kind!"

"Eh?" Big Mac looked to the shaven man with gelled hair and a bright suit. He then looked in front of him, sitting in front of a grand piano.

"Allow me to play it once again Vixel. What it means to play a piece Agitato."

Naturally obeying his offer, Big Mac stood up and let the piano teacher demonstrate. After one deep breath, the conductor body pressed the keys aggressively, with the tune replicating its force. Big Mac could see it in his fingers, hear the aggressive tone. It was like the music and style resembled an erupting volcano. Strong, loud, and angry.

"Ah..." The piano instructor noticed the conductor's dropped jaw. "It seems you can understand. Tell me, what does it feel like?"

"It's as if there was a war, and an army unleashes an overwhelming Assault on their opponents."

"Yes. YES! Now you have it!" The piano instructor nodded, "Perhaps you can try it this time?"

"O-Okay..."

"Remember this well, Vixel..." The teacher stood up, "If you want to dive back into the world of music, you must accept the world and its terms into your very life force..."

And with that, the teacher and the piano faded away, leaving Big Mac all alone in a glowing space.

"Ohh... so this is what Adagio and Rarity had to go through... good thing I have figured out the name already."


"Agitato Assault!!!" Vixel yelled, snapping everyone out of their focus.

"Woah, Big Mac! Pretty loud there, don't ya think?" Flash jumped,

"Apologies," Vixel stood up, "I just learned the name of Vixel's second skill."

"That's great. Day by day, your powers will grow. I am sure you'll ace Mercury's test in no time!" Mym encouraged,

"Speaking about powers..." Flash blinked, "Why haven't you joined us, Sweetie Belle?"

"Eh?" Sweetie, watching alongside Cleo and Mym, pointed to herself.

"I mean, out of the five of us, you're the only one dressed to get physical. Yet for the past two days, you've done nothing but watch and assist Ms M and Ms Cleo."

"Well... I wasn't given any training regime, unlike you guys." Sweetie shrugged, "So I'll just do my best to help out around here..."

"Hmm..." Mym took a thinking pose, "Maybe we should remedy that. Why don't you join in with this meditation? Create some ripples in your Water-attuned Mana?"

"Oh... I honestly forgot about that," Sweetie gulped, "Okay... I'll try..."


But that meditation proved unfruitful. Sweetie was unable to tap into her mana circles or whatever they were called, let alone even throw herself into that realm like the others. Sweetie was a little unhappy about that when they went home and decided not to do that anymore. So for the fourth and final day of training, Flash came up to her.

"Take this," Flash offered his wooden lance,

"Why?" Sweetie asked,

"Yesterday, Ms M told me that you got the essence of Pia on your 'solo after-school trip'. Beats why she or Rarity didn't tell me sooner... If I recall, Pia is a lance user like me. This is a good opportunity for you to learn the lance yourself with me and Ms M!"

"Really?" Sweetie took the lance with sparkling eyes, "In that case can yo-- uh-oh..." Her spare hand fumbled through her pockets, "Oh peanuts."

"... You forgot to bring her essence. Did you?"

"I uh... yeah I did." Sweetie returned the lance, scratching her head. "Left it at home,"

"Then why don't we go get it?" Flash suggested,

"What?" Sweetie looked afraid,

"It's just a simple walk to the misty portal in Rovetelle, teleport to your room, get the essence, go back to the park and teleport back to the Halidom! I'll come with you if you want!"

"Nonononono!" Sweetie protested, "I mean, I really appreciate that you would do this for me, but our parents are at home. They would be super shocked to see the two of us magically appear in our room!"

"Then how about teleport outside your house?" Flash suggested next, "Knock on the door, tell mum and dad you need to pick up something, maybe I can come in and introduce myself, and then we'll go!"

"If YOU come along... mum and dad are going to get very suspicious! They jump into conclusions when they see me or Rarity with another guy. And regarding boyfriends... they're rather strict about it."

"Oof," Flash bit his lip, "I understand your situation, but this IS the last full day of training. Are you sure you don't want to do this?"

"Really. But thanks for suggesting it. I promise that I'll bring it tomorrow. Maybe have some quick training before the trial!"

"Okay then. Pinkie promise?" Flash asked,

"Pinkie Promise. Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye." Sweetie promised,

"Okay then. And remember the severity of a broken pinkie promise."

"Got it!" Sweetie smiled,

"You have a rather soft spot for her! A special soft spot at that..." Philia giggled as the two watched the young teen hop away,

"Don't make me leave you at home too." Flash forcibly chuckled,


And then Saturday came, the day of the Waterwyrm's Trial. All five participants came to the Halidom early, bringing along their confidence and all they have trained.

"I managed to bring it this time!" Sweetie exclaimed, proudly producing a gold trident in her grip,

"Good." Flash gave a thumbs up, "Why don't we grab some wooden lances and I can show you the basics?"

"Oh yeah!"

"Sweetie got a new essence? Since when?" Adagio noticed,

"This Monday, when Mercury took Sweetie to an undiscovered part of Grastaea. Mercury gave her a summon voucher, and she got Pia. Ms M was with them too."

"... And why did neither of you tell us?" Adagio raised an eyebrow, "More importantly, WHY did Ms M not include Sweetie in lance training with Flash!?"

"... We forgot okay!?" Rarity defended, "Don't rub it in, or I'll slap you with the Loving Hand!"

"Ha! Don't blame me for your own mistakes!!!" Adagio taunted, "I've done nothing to upset you!"

"Break it up," Big Mac budged in,

"Speaking about our teachers, where are they?"

"Oh." Adagio remembered, "They went to help Mercury with the preparations."

"I hope they can share prior knowledge beforehand," Rarity nervously shook as the three spot Flash and Sweetie returning from the Lance Dojo with what they need.

"Okay Sweetie, the important thing about what I learned in Bojutsu, is to never wildly thrust or swing the spear. Otherwise, it will drag you along. You must maintain a solid stance." Flash instructed and stomped his foot as a pointer. "They are the foundations for when you move your arms, hands, and body."

"Okay!" Sweetie nodded,

"As for holding it, make sure you find a grip that's tight and comfortable for you. If your grip is loose, your weapon can get knocked off easily. Too tight, and your hands will needlessly cramp, and that is painful. From a scale of one to ten for grip, a seven or 8 should suffice. Now, there are three ways you can hold it, and they differ by the space between your hands upon the lance. Just remember, one palm must be facing up like this..." Flash angled his wooden lance to a straight horizontal line. He slipped his right hand underneath the lance and held it in a grip.

"Then the other palm should be facing down like this..." With the left hand (used to angle the lance), he let go and grasped the staff from above.

"Ideally, it's better if the hand that's close to the bottom of the lance, or close to you, has its palm down. The hand that's holding the lance further away is the one with the palm facing up. Try it out!"

"Ooh... I see." Sweetie nodded, following the instructions to a T.

"Now." Flash continued, "Depending on how you hold it, you can use the lance to have a better advantage to strike or block. It's not wise to stick to one hold unless you want to practice. In battle, you may have to swap between holds to successfully hit your target, or block a blow. For some strange reason, the Grastaean fighting style of a lance only uses one hand instead of two to thrust and strike the spear. A bit risky if you ask me. So let's just learn it in the bo staff way."

"Wow," Rarity and the other two listened and watched, "Flash could be a good teacher!"

"Eeyup," Big Mac nodded,

"Hmm... I think Sweetie's better off learning magic than martial arts. Just my opinion," Adagio grouched, "Oh look! They're back you two!"

"Ms M! Ms Cleo!" Sweetie gasped.

"Good Morning..." Cleo responded in disbelief,

"Why, hello..." Ms M squeaked,

Sweetie and Flash dropped their lances, Adagio, Big McIntosh and Rarity jumped. Stumbling over to greet them were two downtrodden and pale-faced woman.

"What happened!? Is everything alright?" Rarity addressed,

"Has a horde of fiends invaded the Lake?" Flash asked,

"No..." Cleo shook her head, "But Mercury told us a lot more on the trial's aim. And the many restrictions!"

"Restrictions?" Big Mac repeated,

"Yes. Forget using your essences, Mercury's not having it." Mym started,

"WHAT!?" All five yelled in disbelief,

"And forget using weapons too. No fighting involved." Cleo added,

"WHAT!?!?" Only Flash and Sweetie yelled a second time,

"What kind of a trial does Mercury have!?" Rarity exclaimed, "Surely it must involve combat! Or don't tell me it's another obstacle race of death!!!"

"Yeah..." Mym shuffled, "I think it's better that you come and see. You can still bring your essences and weapons if you want, but you're not to bring them into the 'exam room' if you know what I mean."

"..." Flash silently pondered,


Despite the disbelief, the five Equestrians travelled on foot to the Lake with Cleo and Mym leading them. Once they reached the hill, they were greeted by the vast, clear lake below them.

"Man, this place always seems to retain its beauty," Rarity looked relieved, "Makes me almost forget about the trial's uncertainty!"

"Hey! I can see Mercury!" Flash pointed at the edge of the lake. Floating on the water was a blue but familiar speck, along with a much smaller mark that he couldn't make out. The group continued downhill, where the blue speck became bigger and more detailed until it formed into the one and only Waterwyrm. Right next to her was an ordinary yet spacious rowboat.

"Good morning," Mercury bowed in greeting, "And welcome to my trial. I am impressed yet humbled that you have come despite my conditions."

"Yeeeah, that's what we what to know..." Sweetie Belle started, "Why no essences and weapons?"

"Two reasons. One, I designed my trial where it will test not your abilities using former allies, but your own strength and magic. There is no excuse now, given that the five of you are capable of using mana on your own. Brunhilda showed me as such."

"You showed her the results of our training?" Flash asked, "And besides, most of their training have been done WITH essences!"

"By knowing the extents of your abilities," Mercury explained, "I tailored the trial that would challenge you, but not put you in danger. You can rest assured that I have taken strong safety measures."

"So no risk of dying? Okay, that makes me feel a little better." Adagio hummed,

"My second reason is this... they are pointless." Mercury continued,

"Wait what?" All five went,

"Your challenge is this. You are to get from one end of the lake to the other where Woodhaven stands. You must get there by water."

"'Strong safety measures' my flank!" Rarity retorted, "We'll drown from exhaustion!"

"Of course you will," Mercury stifled laughter, "That is why this rowboat exists," She gestured to the rowboat.

The group looked at the boat, then back to the Waterwyrm. Then back to the boat, and back to the Waterwyrm once again.

"So let me get this straight..." Flash started, "Your trial is for us to get from one end to the other on a boat. Is that it?"

Mercury slowly blinked in response, then nodded.

"That's not a trial!" Flash roared in criticism, "That's a simple camp activity!!! No wonder why you don't need essences or weapons!!!"

"Oh I assure you, there are differences. Take a closer look in the rowboat." Mercury gestured with her head,

Still riled up, Flash decided to take a peek as she offered. The rowboat seemed ordinary. It had four wooden planks which were the seats for the boat. There were no leaks or holes, and it looks stable in the water. The only thing missing was the presence of oars or paddles.

"Something missing?" Mercury asked,

"You took away the oars and paddles?" Flash looked back, "That would make travel even more frustrating!"

"There is no need for that either..." Mercury continued, "For I will be steering your boat with my powers over water! And do not underestimate me... I will be making this hard!"

"Oh..." Flash dropped, "So we're playing mechanical bull over the water. Now that is a little challenging, though still... not what I was expecting from a trial made by DRAGONS."

"If you wish to see it that way. Then so be it." Mercury answered, "Now listen carefully. Only four of you will be going in that boat. One of you will stay behind and give support."

"Who's the odd one out?" Rarity asked,

"The one who put in the least amount of training in the past four days."

"So... me." Sweetie pointed to herself,

"Yes." Mercury nodded, "Adagio Dazzle, Flash Sentry, Big McIntosh, and Rarity. You will be the ones setting sail. As you've also noticed by now, you won't have any life jackets for this."

"So let me guess. If we all fall into the drink, we fail!" Adagio exclaimed,

"If any of you fall in, you fail. You must start over. Be sure to hang onto the boat if you do fall. I'll drag you and the boat back." Mercury nodded again,

"Despite it not being dragon difficulty, it does sound easy. I'll take what I can get. But let's not underestimate it." Flash sighed. He marched forward first and placed a foot on the boat. The boat wobbled a little, alerting Flash to be careful.

"Relax. Even if you fall in the water now, it will not count. The trial begins only when I say so." Mercury clarified,

"Good to know!" Flash gave a thumbs up. "Aight, let's get this over with!"

Rarity was the one to hop in next, then Adagio, and finally Big Mac, sitting at the back of the boat. Each one carefully stepped in, and each sat on the plank, from front to back, the order they entered the boat.

"Are you ready?" Mercury asked,

"One more question," Rarity asked, "Are we allowed to touch the water without falling in? Like paddle with our hands?"

"Sure. But it won't do you good against my powers." Mercury warned,

"Wait!" Sweetie Belle stopped, "What about me? How can I 'support' them?"

"I almost forgot. Cleo?" Mercury asked,

"Here," Cleo walked to Sweetie and passed a small device to her. Then she went to the boat and passed the same to Big Mac.

"Walkie-Talkies," Rarity noticed, "Cute,"

"I assume you know how to operate them." Cleo responded, "If not, then all you have to do is hold down the orange button on the side, then talk into it. The other will receive your voice."

"Okay," Sweetie rolled her eyes,

"Are you now prepared?" Mercury asked again. The four rowers looked at each other and nodded. Then they looked to Sweetie, who took a long deep sigh and nodded back.

"We're ready." Rarity answered,

"Then let the trial begin!" Mercury declared. Without moving a single muscle, the boat started to move, as if it was moving around like a water ride. "'Bon Voyage', as you humans say it."

"Hey... is it just me? Or am I disappointed about this being our trial?" Flash asked,

"You and me both," Rarity sighed, "Even though I'm grateful that we won't die, I was expecting something more... exhilarating and something that defies human perception."

"Then I guess we can make the most of it," Adagio laughed as she changed her sitting position to laying on her seat with her head against her hands, which was against the edge of the boat, "Let's just relax our way through, and reap the rewards when we finish this!"

But the three would eat their words soon. The boat continued moving slowly, but a small wave suddenly knocked into the left side of their boat.

"Woah!" Flash, Rarity and Big Mac gasped. Adagio was caught off guard, finding her self looking directly at the water,

"Watch out!" Big Mac quickly grabbed on to the edges of the boat and tilted it against the wave, saving Adagio from sliding off the boat. Instead, she fell to the floor of the boat, a little drenched by the water kicked up by the waves.

"Ow!!!" Adagio snapped as she quickly sat back up. Suddenly, waves and currents from all directions struck the boat, throwing the passengers to and fro.

"Hrgh!" Big mac grunted, tilting the boat harder and quicker, straining to prevent the waves from toppling them over. Catching a glimpse, Rarity grabbed the edges of the boat closest to her and joined in.

"We can't underestimate it!" Big Mac warned, "We're gonna need to rock the boat against the tide! Everyone put yer hands on the edges, and tilt it when Ah say so! And Ah'll also mention how much y'all should tilt!"

Flash and Adagio looked at their senior student and nodded in response. With all four pairs of hands on edge, the team quickly but carefully angled the boat as to not be pushed over, but also not to take in water that could upset their balance.

"Li'l to the left! Lil' to the right! Lean forward!!!" Big Mac kept shouting directions and commands every second. It was tricky, it was wet, it was scary, but the team managed to remain on the boat, with the invading currents seemingly giving them a nice push.

"Okay, this is sort of challenging now." Flash responded as he swayed from side to side, "I take it back!"


Back on shore, Sweetie watched as the boat valiantly balanced itself from the oncoming abnormal waves with a long sigh.

"What's wrong, Sweetie?" Mercury asked,

"I don't know how to feel about this. Lots of mixed emotions." Sweetie sighed again,

"Oh? And why's that?"

"One, I kinda regret not raising my voice and asking them to include me into the training. Then again, I never could 'unlock' that water mana inside me. I also kinda regretted not bringing my essence yesterday so I could learn to swing a lance or two."

"So I've heard," Mercury answered,

"But seriously, why must you give me the lamest role of this challenge? I might as well be doing nothing but spectate!"

"Sweetie Belle, a boat out in the middle of a sea storm is the most fearful thing known to man. If the boat is destroyed, there is no chance of surviving. All the sailors would drown!" Mercury responded, "Words of hope and encouragement can be the line between life and death."

"Really?" Sweetie moped,

"Go ahead and say something! I'm sure they'll appreciate it!"

"Fine..." Sweetie pouted, and pressed the 'Talk' button,

"Hey sis, Adagio, guys, keep it up. You can do it," Sweetie talked into the walkie-talkie, with an emotionless voice,

"There... happy?" Sweetie looked back,

"Great," Mercury nodded, then hid a small grin, "They'll need it."

Ms M and Cleo, who were watching alongside Sweetie, felt a great disturbance.

"Sweetie," Ms M spoke up, "I have a confession to make. I purposely omitted you from training unless you brought it up yourself. Which was only on the third day."

"Huh?" Sweetie raised an eyebrow, "You didn't want me to train?"

"Not exactly. It meant making decisions for yourself." Ms M answered, "Sometimes, you can't be included all the time. You need to let others know that you want to join in. We'd be happy to make a training programme for you. But I really should have thought something up for you right from the get-go."

"Oh... a little too late now, don't you think?"

"I think now is a good time to say it..." Cleo jumped in, "When we came back looking sick, it wasn't because everyone's training went to waste."

"I don't understand,"

"Those four days of training were important." Mercury elaborated, "You all needed it. All that information Ms M gave me was how I crafted the particulars of the test but in a rather deceptive way. You see, the decision of who was going to stay behind was not of who trained the most or the least. I decided who will stay behind while the others go boating."

"Huh!?" Sweetie turned back, "You mean you WANTED me to stay behind!?"

"Yes," Mercury answered,

"You purposely excluded me out of this challenge!" Sweetie lashed out, "You gave all the hard work and responsibility to them! I'm nothing but a spectator and helper from behind the lines! I'm just the errand girl!!!"

"Oh no, Sweetie." Mercury shook her head, "I'm afraid you are mistaken. In fact, you have this..."

The Waterwyrm revealed her hidden, devious smile.

"The other way round,"

All of a sudden, an explosion in the lake went off with a loud bang, as loud as the largest balloon being popped.

"What the!?" Sweetie looked to the lake. There she saw the small rowboat, surrounded by floating bubbles out of nowhere. Those bubbles were big enough to envelop the largest human being.

"Mayday Mayday! Sweetie! We're in trouble!" The walkie-talkie screeched,

"Rarity!" Sweetie gasped at the familiar voice, "Are you okay?"

"Are you okay!? Does it look like we're 'okay'!?!?" Another voice, Adagio's, rudely responded, "These freaking bubbles suddenly rose from the lake, and one of them exploded like a bomb! It almost knocked us over, but all of us are completely drenched! Bubbles aren't meant to do that! And they're massive too!"

"See? I told you they'll need it!" Mercury chuckled,

"Mercury, what the hell did you do!? Did you summon those bubbles!?" Sweetie lashed out again,

"But of course. I am the Waterwyrm. They heed my command after all."

BANG!

"Oh Goddess! That one exploded as it was floating on the water! I swear it launched us up in the air!" Flash yelled, "And the others are closing in slowly!!! If they explode when near us, we're going to do more than just tip! We'll be blown away!"

"Mercury!!! Stop it!!! You'll tip them over!!!" Sweetie bellowed,

"Dear Sweetie Belle. Did I not say I was making this hard? Please activate the walkie-talkie." Mercury instructed,

Sweetie growled but did so,

"Can you hear me, you four?" Mercury asked, "I have used some deception here. Those bubbles are made by me. They will explode if I will it to."

"I should have known... you baited me into thinking this was easy!!!" Flash growled,

"Mercury, there's no way in hell we can get through this on our own!" Big Mac blubbered, "What are we s'posed to do!?"

"Simple! Let Sweetie support you!" Mercury responded,

"What!?" The four exclaimed,

"What!?" Sweetie exclaimed,

"See? You're not excluded from this trial Sweetie. You have to support them through the end!"

"Are you KIDDING ME!?!?" Sweetie screamed, "How can I support them through that when I'm all the way over here!? Unless I have your powers, I'm absolutely useless!!!"

Then Mercury gave the biggest smile of all, as much as her jaw and teeth can take,

"Then let it be so..." She calmly responded,

"... I'm sorry, what?" Sweetie's ears pricked up,

"Are you still holding down that 'talk' button?" Mercury asked,

"Y-Yeah." Sweetie nodded, holding the walkie-talkie back up,


"I know you may not believe me now, but deceiving you is a stain on my own heart. Listen well, because I will reveal my real intentions behind this trial." Mercury announced,

"... We're not the ones being tested, are we? We're part of the test!!!" Adagio shrieked,

"Yes." Mercury answered, "The one whom my trial is really testing, is the one who's mana is attuned to Water. Coincidentally, she also happens to be the one with the least experience in that field. That, Sweetie Belle, is you."

"M-M-M-M-MEEEE!?" Sweetie stuttered and shook,

"Do not worry, boat team. I have paused your movement, and I will not detonate those bubbles." Mercury assured, "But first off, I will let you know how Sweetie will be tested. In a moment, I will be giving Sweetie my powers. With it, she will be 'supporting' you from here on out. She will steer your boat to the end while defending you from all my attempts to push you off."

"Oh nononononono. You can't DO THAT! Sweetie's has never prepared for something like this!!! You don't even know if she can survive just getting your powers!!!" Rarity objected,

"Oh no... I assure you it will be fine. Flash was given a burst of mana that unlocked his circles, yet it didn't work for Sweetie for some strange reason. Then again, she hasn't learned any form of combat or proficiency with a weapon. So I thought to myself... what if Sweetie could awaken to the magic expertise of mana? Perhaps the mana the Halidom had stored is not enough, but a Dragon's mana can give that boost!"

"Ms Cleo!!! Ms M!!! Are you hearing this!? Are you just letting this happen!?!?" Rarity roared,

"I have considered their words of warning as I made this trial. Even so, I sorry to say that it is not your choice to make Rarity."

"Excuse me!?!?"

"Sweetie is in High School. She is old enough to make her own choices now. Unless you or your parents still need to guide her around?" Mercury challenged,

"I..." Sweetie stuttered, "I..."

"Sweetie!!! If you can listen to me, I believe in you!!!" A voice called out,

"Flash?" Sweetie called,

"Rarity is just looking out for you as sisters would. She doesn't want to see you hurt. Otherwise, it will be pain that will persist until the grave. Honestly, I'd protest if it was Scoots being put on the spot." Flash answered, "Look, the difficulty of being an older sibling is that one of our main responsibilities in life involves taking care of you. Sure, we may argue and fight, but in the end, we still love you. Whenever the school gets under attack, Rarity and the others would save it. Not just because she trusts in her friends, but there are just as many people in CHS she cares about, like you. Right, Rarity?"

"Y-Yeah..." Rarity reluctantly agreed,

"But I know that you grow old as we do. Sometimes you face things in life that we have. Sometimes those things we don't like, and thus try to steer you away from it. But now I've realised... those things we don't like? They'll always be there to haunt you, and sometimes, you're left with no choice but to face it. If that's the case like now, there's nothing that I can do to intervene... but only to have faith in you and cheer you on!" Flash yelled,

"Flash..." Sweetie frowned, "This isn't a good time to be flirting with me,"

"Oh, you know what I mean!!!" Flash seethed,

"He certainly knows his words," Mercury chuckled, "And as I said. The choice is yours. If you choose not to take the trial, I shall detonate those bubbles and send your sister and friends into the drink. They will survive, but it means you'll have to start the test back here. Of course, all of you can leave and come back to try again after you train, but I guarantee you there's no way you can do that."

"..." Sweetie looked to Mercury, "... Alright then. Bless me with your powers."

"A wise choice," Mercury smiled and presented a bubble filled with pulsating water. Sweetie could feel a tremendous force from it.

"This bubble contains a very high degree of my mana." Mercury informed, "Drink it, and you will be able to command the waters as I can."

Sweetie looked at Cleo and Mym, who nodded with determination. Hearing the speech from Flash, they didn't have time to mope or look ill.

"It won't kill me. Will it?" Sweetie asked,

"No."

"Okay then..." Sweetie stepped up to the bubble, "Down the Hatch!"

Sweetie pressed her lips onto the surface of the bubble and began to suck it in. The bubble gradually decreased in size as its volume was forcibly ingested by the young crusader until it became flat as a pancake, to which it was slurped up completely. Once she drank it all, Sweetie stood motionless, dropping the walkie-talkie,

"Sweetie?" Cleo asked, "Are you okay?"

"Ugh... Ahhhhh!!!!" Sweetie looked to the sky and screamed as blue beams of light shot from her eyes, nostrils and mouth. The sound of her pain, as well as the force of the mana, erupted through the air for all present to hear,

"Hey!" Sweetie stopped abruptly, as did the lights and the sounds, "That didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would!"

"Sweetie!!! What was that!? Are you okay???" Rarity screamed from the walkie-talkie,

"Oh! Sorry about that!" Sweetie picked it up, "It felt as if some force was burrowing into my muscles and blood. Yet it didn't even come close to the pain of a needle! I exaggerated, sorry!"

"You could have fooled me!!!" Rarity retorted,

"Well, I do feel like I've taken in a lot of weight, except my arms or legs or belly doesn't feel heavy." Sweetie danced around, "And it feels like there are bubbles inside me. Like I'm pumped with water!!!"

"Oh..." Mym fainted, "That's a relief,"

"So uh... how does this work?" Sweetie asked,

"Controlling the waters all boils down to your will." Mercury instructed, "If you want to form a wall, then simply desire it so! But remember, use your mind. Think outside the box. Okay?"

"Okay..."

"Brunhilda? I believe that is your cue now..."

"Okay okay, I'll change..." Mym shot back up and transformed into her true dragon form.

"It's a battle between you and me..." Mercury continued, "We will be positioned on the sides of the boat, at a distance. You'll have the land to stand on. From there, you can see anything that comes towards the boat. Of course, there may be things you may not see thanks to the horizon obstructing you. That's when you have your sister and friends to relay information."

"Okay, sounds fair..."

"Alright Sweetie, hop on," Brunhilda instructed,


Sweetie and Brunhilda flew forward towards Woodhaven but landed on a safe area on the creekside, the dry pathway between the village and the route back to the Halidom. Mercury simply entered the water and swam to the far left of the boat, setting herself parallel to both the boat and Sweetie.

"I will give you some practice!" Mercury yelled, "See if you can get rid of those bubbles!!!"

"You don't have to yell back. I can hear her." Brunhilda noted, "She says that you can practice your new powers by getting rid of the bubbles. Once you do, I'm sure the trial will begin."

Sweetie, without a word, lifted a hand. In the middle of the lake, an arm with a small hand rose from the waters. In the view of everyone from the boat, the tiny hand slapped the bubble, sending it flying quite far away. Once it stopped, the bubble exploded, too far for its shockwave to rock the boat. Immediately, the arm went around flicking or punching away the rest of the bubbles, to which all exploded at a safe distance.

"Hey sis, you hear me?" Sweetie spoke on the walkie-talkie,

"Yeah. How does it feel?"

"Like playing in the water," Sweetie responded, "Listen, there are things that I may not see clearly, so I'll leave it to you and the others to be my eyes, okay?"

"You got it. Oh and one more thing..."

"Yeah?"

"I have faith in you too. That what I really should've said instead of running my mouth. We all do."

"Go get 'er." Big Mac chimed in,

"If you lose, I'm not teaching you to be a siren!" Adagio threatened, "But more importantly, show her you're not someone to be messed with."

"Thanks, everyone," Sweetie responded, and put down the Walkie-Talkie.

"Are you ready?" Mercury called from a distance,

"Are you ready?" Brunhilda relayed with an easy volume,

Sweetie looked to the boat, then to Cleo who remained at the lake's entrance, then at Brunhilda, and finally at the blue figure far away. As she did so, her large round pupils slimmed and shrank to become a small thin oval with sharp edges. At the same time, her brilliant sap green irises changed into a fierce red, just like Mercury's.

"I'm ready," Sweetie nodded.

"She's ready!" Brunhilda called back,

"Wonderful. Then let the real trial begin!!!" Mercury declared,

TO BE CONTINUED

Next Chapter: The Aquatic Crusader Rises