• Published 3rd Oct 2020
  • 993 Views, 95 Comments

Dark Souls 3: Cinders of Power - Blackdrag-rose



Tirek awakens to find himself in a state of undeath, in a foreign land, and must use everything at his disposal to survive the dangers that await him.

  • ...
33
 95
 993

Passing Through the Great Gate

It did take Tirek and Sarana some time to make their way back down to where the church was located, where they had to fight off all of the hollows and knights that they had taken down so far, before either of them could even see the building that Emma had been resting in, or rather had been before Tirek put her out of her misery for being mostly useless to them in their quest to find the Lords of Cinder. Tirek was getting used to the idea that every time they died, or sat down and used one of the bonfires, the various enemies in an area would spring back to life and continue to stand in their way, like they were being resurrected from their own ashes or something, but the good part about it was that they could gather more souls to use later on. The other good thing about this was that they got better at figuring out what each of their enemies were doing and how to take them down, that way neither of them had to use more of their supplies than what they were comfortable with using, meaning they could save some items for later on, when they might need them for someone that they hadn't encountered yet, like the Dancer. Of course the two of them would rather find their way to the Great Gate and leave the castle, so they could begin looking for their targets, for real this time, but all they could do was cut and blast their way through the enemies that were between them and where the church was located, as that would allow them to locate the area they were heading towards.

When they finally reached the area that was near the church Tirek noticed something interesting, there appeared to be some sort of fog door that was blocking the entrance that allowed them to find Emma in the first place, and was blocking them from visiting the Dancer, though he had no idea what sort of significance the fog had and figured Sarana would be the one to tell him what they were currently looking at.

"A Fog Door... I've only read about them in the past." Sarana stated, not even bothering to give Tirek the chance to ask the question this time around, allowing her companion to stare at the fog for a few more moments, since it gave them a brief moment to relax before they headed down the stairs that were behind them, "Supposedly they act as barriers of some kind, between the Unkindled and the more powerful creatures of this land, meaning that once they've fought a foe once they won't allow someone to simply walk into their lair, rather a challenger will have to pass through the Fog Door, allowing the creature to prepare themselves for the incoming fight."

"I see. That's very interesting." Tirek said, though while he said that he focused on the other path that they would be heading down, as he knew that Sarana knew that they weren't ready to face the Dancer, hence the reason the pair turned to their right and stared at the stairs they needed to head down, "Well then, I suppose its time we headed down these stairs and see what's standing between us and the Great Gate, since I'm positive we might have another foe that might try to prevent us from leaving the castle, if what the priestess said before her death was to be believed."

Sarana said nothing to that as they turned to their right and started to head down the stairs, where they found two hollowed knights patrolling the area that was in front of the opening they were currently walking towards, though one of them were heading up the stairs and the other was heading down the stairs, meaning they could take one out before the other even noticed what was going on. Since these knights were the same as the ones that were guarding the entrance to the church, which they had taken out with some ease earlier, it wasn't hard for the pair to take down the first of the two knights and then waited for the second one to show up, someone that went down within a few moments after engaging them. With both of the knights taken down the pair continued to walk down the stairs that were in front of them and carefully walked to the opening they had spotted, where they spotted a number of fallen pilgrims that were laying dead on the ground, just like the ones that were near the church's entrance, making Tirek wonder if they had gone hollow and just killed themselves to avoid becoming like the knights they were facing. Once the pair reached the bottom of the stairs they walked through the opening, finding that this gate had been opened by someone else, though that was when they noticed that the area in front of them was a large rectangular box between them and a large metal door that was partly open, which Tirek assumed was the Great Gate they had been told about.

It took Tirek and Sarana a minute or two to walk across the area between the two gates, allowing them to keep their eyes open for any traps or ambushes, since they could never be too careful since the castle had a few wyverns resting all over the place, before they finally reached the larger gate and inspected the busted area, which looked like someone had tried to pry it open and failed. It was in that moment that they heard something move in the area behind them, where no one had been standing seconds ago, to which the pair turned around and found another strange gateway of some kind, made out some sort of energy that Tirek was unfamiliar with, in the area behind them, where they watched as a rather large and bulky creature, wearing silver armor that reminded them of the Dancer, crawled out of the area it was hiding in and only stopped moving once it was standing in the area they were in, which was when it raised its mace, which was in its left hand, and stabbed the floor with it, before it roared at them. Tirek and Sarana glanced at each other for a few seconds, as they knew that it had to be another foe for them to take out, so what they did was step back down into the area that was in front of them and readied themselves, as they both knew that their foe was going to hit them hard and as fast as it possibly could, meaning they would have to come up with a plan of attack in a few moments, before either of them were overwhelmed by their new foe. Interestingly enough it shifted its head as it looked at them, almost as if it was deciding who it should go after first, giving them time to space themselves part from each other, especially since it was only slowly moving at the moment, something that was bound to change when the fight actually started.

After a few seconds the creature rushed forward and swung its mace down on where Sarana was standing, where she had to jump out of the way to avoid the attack, opening the way for Tirek to blast it in the back with a Heavy Soul Arrow, but while it seemed to do damage the knight staggered for a moment before turning and glaring at him, before it turned back to Sarana and chased her some more. Thanks to her agility and reflexes it did seem like his companion was having a good time at dodging their foe's attacks, even though Tirek was sure that there was some sort of frost lingering in the air as the knight tried to smash them into the floor or the walls, but since the knight seemed to be avoiding him right now he could focus on blasting him with either normal Soul Arrows or Heavy Soul Arrows. Sarana also stabbed the knight every now and then, trying to weaken him so they could put an end to the fight, allowing Tirek to notice a few things as he loosed his spells at their foe, but that was when he discovered that the more damage the knight took the faster he seemed to get, meaning that the battle was going to get even harder for them and that they were going to have to be careful, least their foe take them down in the process. Of course Tirek understood that a warrior, even a hollowed one, needed to have a number of attacks and strategies to use in battle, something for the seemingly mindless husk or beast to use when they engaged their foe, and it sure seemed like the knight, who fought more like a beast, was able to use those tactics in their fight, which really made him realize that they had to be careful when dealing with their foe.

It wasn't long before the knight picked up the pace again as he, a decision that Tirek made in his head since he was a little tired of referring to their foe as an 'it' since they knew it was male from the body, rushed at his main target with the intent to crush them, though this time they discovered that it was Tirek who was under attack, who barely had time to move as foe barreled into him and knocked him into a wall, before smashing the area he landed in with his mace, which let the knight switch back to Sarana as Tirek's world went black again.

"Ugh, that knight is going to be annoying." Tirek moaned, just as he reformed at the first bonfire of the High Wall, the area he and Sarana had last rested in, to which he sat down and patiently waited to see what happened next, because if he was right his companion would return to this area and they would be able to go over the battle and maybe come up with a plan to take the knight down, without dying anyway.

He only had to wait a few seconds before the air shimmered and Sarana appeared nearby, showing that she, alone, had been no match for the knight they had faced and that they definitely needed a plan of attack to be able to bring him down, otherwise between him and the Dancer they would be stuck here, on the High Wall of the castle, meaning their quest would be at an end if they couldn't beat either of the powerful foes that were blocking the way.

"Well, I certainly wasn't expecting another creature like the Dancer, so soon after that happened," Sarana said, though at the same time she figured that the massive knight was the easier foe for them to take out, since he didn't appear to be as fast as the Dancer had been, and she already had a good idea as to how they could take him down and move forward, provided he didn't have any additional moves they didn't know about, "but, based on what I saw before we died, we can hit him from below, as in roll under him when he pauses for a moment and then stab him when he's least expecting it, or at least I can do that, since with your body he'd crush you anyway."

"That sounds like a reasonable plan," Tirek replied, because with Sarana's reflexes and his magic he knew that they could, given enough time and focus, take down the knight and see what was on the other side of the damaged gate, which would allow them to continue exploring the land that they were in and see if they could find one of the Lords of Cinder at some point in time.

"Oh, and you should save your Heavy Soul Arrows for when he's casting his frost breath," Sarana added, causing Tirek to raise his eyebrow for a moment, as that wasn't an attack he had seen before their foe had killed him, but, even as he thought about that, he had the feeling that she wasn't lying to him, which meant that he had an idea of when to use that spell when their next attempt happened.

"I will keep that in mind for when we get back to him," Tirek said, to which he got up from where he was sitting, just as Sarana headed for the path that would take them back down to where the knight was located, as it was time for them to see if they could bring down their foe and move forward to the next area of this land, even if it took them more than a few times for them to fight the knight before they beat him.

Thanks to their knowledge of the other enemies that rested between them and their destination the pair found that it was easy for them to make their way, which made sense considering the fact that they had decent experience with all of the knights and hollows that were guarding the High Wall, so it didn't take them very long to retrace their steps and walk down the stairs that would take them to the area the knight was located in. When they walked through the Fog Door that their foe was behind the first thing the pair did was separate immediately, Sarana heading for the green cluster of souls that were to the left of the entrance while Tirek did the same with the black cluster, something that he really didn't care to think about at the moment as they turned and faced the knight they were here to defeat, who happened to be standing in front of the damaged gate and only moved when they got close to where he was standing. The first thing the knight did was roar at them, like he was supposed to be intimidating or something, before jumping back a little so he could launch himself forward and try to hit Sarana with his mace, something that she was able to avoid thanks to her reflexes and agility, while at the same time Tirek made sure to keep his distance and use his normal Soul Arrows for a time, just to see if their foe used a frost breath attack on them. This time around, however, Sarana stayed close to the knight and lashed out at his sides whenever he missed her, allowing Tirek to pick and choose when he blasted their foe, who, once again, liked to focus on Sarana, as if thinking that she was the tougher opponent, and it was possible that such a thought was correct, especially since Tirek knew he could be cut down in one or two well placed hits right now.

The knight seemed to be a fan of jumping backwards and then rushing at his foe, since he did that once to Sarana and on his return trip he brought down his mace on where she had been standing, though she did avoid the attack by rolling out of the way, allowing her to stab their foe as Tirek blasted him in the side, but this time it didn't seem like he was getting faster, making Tirek wonder if that had been something he had imagined in the previous fight. Sarana, despite the danger of what she was doing, stayed close to their foe's chest area and continued to stab him to the best of her ability, even if she had to roll to dodge some of his attacks and others were easily avoided thanks to where she was standing, but while all of that happened she could see the Soul Arrows fly through the air as they struck their foe, showing her that Tirek was following the simple plan that she had come up with after their first fight. Tirek had to admit that it was a rather nice tactic and it seemed to be working like a charm, especially since the knight failed to understand what his companion was doing at the moment, where it might be possible that he might not even figure out what she was doing since he was hollowed like most of the enemies they had fought so far, and this time he had the feeling that they were going to bring the knight down and finally open the damaged gate that he was guarding. Even the knight's attempts to smash Sarana with his other hand did nothing, as he apparently couldn't reach her in his current stance where he walked like a dog or a wolf, or any of the other four legged creatures, meaning that the fight was in their favor and made Tirek wonder if they were actually going to walk away with the win this time around.

Of course that was when the knight used his charge technique and forced Sarana to get away from him, as this move was rather painful if one of them were hit by all the armor that the knight was wearing, especially at high speeds when he happened to be charging around the area, but it appeared he could only do three charges before stopping, which was the moment that he arched back and seemed to gather the frosty bits that were in front of him. That informed Tirek of what he needed to do, as that was the moment that he switched to channeling the Heavy Soul Arrow and loosed one right into the helmet that their foe was wearing, knocking him out of the stance that allowed him to prepare his frost breath, and while the knight was stunned Sarana went on the offensive once more, lashing out at their foe as she targeted the opening that Tirek had revealed to her. Between the two of them, even in their weakened state, they were doing some damage to the knight and it appeared that they might be on their way to beating him, but neither of them dropped their focus for even a moment, as they knew that the moment they did so their foe would break them and they would have to come back and repeat the process all over again. To some that might be considered a good thing, as practice made perfect and it did give them more souls every time they had to run back to this location, but, at the same time, the pair decided that they would rather beat their foe and be done with it, so they could be on their way to a brand new area and see if it brought them to an area that one of the Lords of Cinder called home, even if they knew neither of them were quite ready for a fight with a being that was able to link the Fire, for now at least.

It took them a minute or two more of repeating the same moves, as in dodging his attacks, hitting the knight in a way to stun him for the other to attack him, and making sure to avoid his charge attack in general, since that was a painful move to be hit by, before Tirek and Sarana delivered simultaneous finishing blows that caused the knight to stagger before falling to the ground in the middle of the area, which did three things: it restored them to the state where they had the few ember markings on their bodies and armor, it revealed a new bonfire by the damaged gate, and both of them got the soul of the foe they bested, something that Tirek wasn't even going to question at this point.

"He's finally down." Tirek remarked, though as he said that both he and Sarana turned towards the damaged gate and walked over to it, where they lit the bonfire and stayed there for a few seconds, which was the moment that he glanced over to his companion for a moment, just as they finished absorbing the soul energy of their fallen foe, but at the same time the damaged gate opened, something he and Sarana would deal with later, "I must say, that was a good plan you came up with."

"Indeed. Now we can move forward at long last." Sarana replied, referring to the fact that they now had a path they could follow and that they didn't need to stick around the castle, giving them the ability to actually start their quest for the Lords of Cinder, without having to be stuck int he same area for an extended period of time, before she sat at the bonfire once more, "Let's return to the shrine and put these souls to good use."

Tirek nodded his head in agreement and followed Sarana's lead, where they focused on the shrine and disappeared from the area that was in front of the damaged gate, meaning they reappeared in front of the bonfire that was in the large shrine that was their base of operations while they were hunting down the Lords of Cinder, causing them to rise once more as they sought out the Fire Keeper, who was standing nearby and seemed to be waiting for the pair to return from their venture. As such the pair walked over to her and started empowering themselves with the souls they had acquired so far, since they first arrived in the High Wall area, though he refrained from breaking the soul of the large knight that had been guarding the Great Gate, as he had the feeling he might want to hold onto it for a period of time, where he could determine whether or not he really wanted to break it. He wasn't sure how many souls he was going to have to funnel into empowering himself before he actually felt stronger and left his old frail body behind, but even as he considered that he knew that it was only a matter of time until such a thing happened, he just had to wait for such a thing to happen, even if it would likely come from of the Lords of Cinder. Once the two of them were done empowering themselves with the souls they had acquired so far, a fair number thanks to the powerful creature they had taken out, they returned to the bonfire and used it to head back to the Great Gate, as it was time to check out the area that was beyond the gate and see what happened when they used the banner in the area that Emma wanted them to use it in.

It didn't take them long to return to the area in question, allowing them to stand up and approach the damaged gate that was now open, though when they reached the other side they found an interesting sight, a mountain range off in the distance, a village of some kind that Sarana seemed to stare at for a time, a large building that definitely seemed like they would be heading there at some point in time, and a broken bridge that rested between the castle and the village, where Tirek was sure there was a fallen wyvern over there.

"Let's use that banner and see what its supposed to do," Sarana commented, informing Tirek that while they could spend the next few minutes gazing out at the sights that were in front of them, and stare at the various landmarks that they might be visiting at some point in time, she was eager to get underway and continue their quest to find the missing Lords of Cinder, or at least that was what Tirek assumed she was feeling.

Tirek nodded his head and carefully put his staff away, where he switched it with the wooden staff that was attached to the banner in question, something that he raised into the air and showed the icon on it towards the area that was in front of them, since that seemed to be what they needed to do in this situation, though he had no idea what the banner was going to do for them, since Emma had told them next to nothing about it. A few moments later he heard some sort of noise in front of where they happened to be standing, where he and Sarana stared down at the broken area that was in front of them and watched as a white skinned creature, with long pointed ears, blood red colored hands, odd shaped wings and a long tail, crawled up to where they were standing, before four more appeared in the air behind the first one and they all stared at them. Sarana had him put the banner away, which he did so, before two of the creatures grabbed onto his arms and the other two grabbed onto his companion in the same way, before they were lifted into the air and the first creature, who was also carrying a staff, beckoned for them to follow him as he turned towards the village they had spotted earlier. In that moment the pair found themselves flying through the air thanks to the creatures, allowing them to get a good look at the area below them, though as that happened Tirek noticed that there was a fallen wyvern that was laying on the broken bridge, located at the end of the bridge that was near the village in question, though it was also slightly broken as well, meaning the center of the structure wasn't connected to the castle or the village. Another thing he noticed was that there were a number of fallen pilgrims that happened to be near where the wyvern was laying, though there were more of them in this area than there had been in the castle itself, making him wonder if it might be worth the while to investigate the area the new group was located in, just to see if there were any survivors this time.

Eventually the white creatures reached the area that they were taking them to, where they dropped Tirek and Sarana off at the top of the stone tower that looked like it once held a gate of some kind, or could have had a gate, and just so happened to be connected by a walkway to a second tower, and once the pair was standing next to a bonfire the group of creatures flew off into the distance, leaving the pair to activate the new bonfire.

"A brand new area to explore, with new dangers for us to encounter," Tirek commented, referring to the new area they had been brought to, even if it seemed like Sarana was lost in thought and only came back to reality when he opened his mouth to say something, or that's what it looked like anyway, before he started down the steps that were in front of where they landed.

Sarana nodded her head for a moment as they walked down the stairs, though the first thing they did was check out the area to their left, the other tower to be exact, and found a lost soul resting over there, to which the pair collected it and then headed down the main steps once more, as it was time to see what was in front of them and what they would need to do to get through the gate that was blocking the way forward. As they drew closer to the gate someone on the other side opened it and a number of hollowed dogs rushed out and tore into the unfortunate hollows that were standing in front of the gate, killing them in mere seconds, before the pack glanced up at the pair and rushed them, intending to bite them to death as well. The moment Tirek and Sarana knew they were under attack they separated from each other and faced the dogs, where Sarana dodged the dogs that were coming her way and cut into them as they tried to attack her, while at the same time Tirek used his Soul Arrows and blasted the mutts away from him, causing them to fall after the second blast. With those enemies taken out, and the area cleared, the pair headed towards the fallen pilgrims that were in the broken area that was near the ruined bridge, since Tirek was sure that one of them might still be moving, despite the fact that all of the others had fallen, and while they walked towards the area in question they found two more dogs that seemed to be feasting on something, but when the pair of mutts attacked them Tirek and Sarana quickly took them down and picked up the small blue skull items that were near them.

From there they walked into the area that all of the fallen pilgrims were in and found that Tirek had been correct, that one of them was still alive, so the first thing they did was pick up some interesting looking bones that Sarana picked up off the ground, meaning they were important, before they approached the pilgrim, who actually seemed to be sobbing as the pair got close to where he was praying.

"Please, grant me death." the pilgrim sobbed, showing that he must have been expecting to find death when he and the other pilgrims came to this area and began their prayers, but even his failure to do that didn't stop him from praying in this area and wishing for the end of his life to come, causing Tirek to raise his eyebrow for a moment, as he really wasn't expecting to find this when he decided to investigate this area, "Undo my shackles."

"I don't think that whoever you are praying to is even listening." Tirek commented, as he had decided that it was time to make their presence known to the pilgrim, even though he was a little sure he had noticed that they had arrived a few moments ago, and noticed that the person he was talking to shifted for a moment as he noticed the fact that he had some company, something he might not have been expecting.

"Oh… then it’s true… a Champion of Ash, as I live and breathe." the pilgrim said, where he actually got up from where he had been praying and stood at his full height, which was just about the highest point that Tirek could stand in the form that he was cursed with at the moment, while at the same time Sarana said nothing as they noticed that they couldn't see the pilgrim's face, "To be in your presence is a great honor. I am Yoel of Londor, a pilgrim as you can see, only… somehow, I've failed to die as was ordained... perhaps my calling lies elsewhere. Say, Champion of Ash, how does the idea of taking me into your service strike you? I was once a sorcerer, before becoming a pilgrim, surely I can be of use to you and your companion in your journey."

"Is that so?" Tirek replied, because he was limited to only a few spells at the moment and knew that the more spells he had the more choices he had to choose from, since he wouldn't be restricted to a single type of spells, and he could tell that his companion didn't seem to have any opinions on the matter, to which he turned towards Yoel, "Sure, I'll take you on as a servant, or as an instructor in the various spells of this world."

"Oh, I am honored." Yoel stated, his tone revealing that he wasn't lying, he was very grateful for the chance to be of some use to the newest heroes that were supposed to be gathering the Lords of Cinder and bringing them back so they could link the Fire, even if they had to bring their remains to do so, "I should be dead, as was ordained, but you have given me a new purpose and I shall do everything in my power to assist you in your endeavor."

Before Tirek could say anything Yoel seemed to disappear, like ash scattering in the wind, leaving him to think about what they had gained and what I might mean for the future of their quest, before he and Sarana turned around and made their way back to where the gate was located, so they could resume searching the area and see if they could figure out how to find one of the Lords of Cinder. It didn't take them long to reach the area that the gate was in, where Sarana pulled on the lever to their left and caused the gate to rise into the air, allowing them to walk into the area that was in front of them, which just so happened to be where a bonfire was located, something that was rather strange when they thought about the fact that there was one close to where they were standing. That was when Tirek noticed that there were two new foes for them to take out, one being a hollow that was dressed as a peasant and happened to be carrying a cleaver and a lantern, while the other one was taller than him and Sarana, was more muscular than most foes they had seen so far, and was wearing some interesting plate armor that was a deep green color, but all of this made him wonder if they might have discovered a new powerful creature to take down, so soon after the last one. Of course that was the moment he noticed that the knight was carrying a greatsword in one of his hands, where one side seemed to be the normal edge of a blade and the other seemed to be a small row of saw-like teeth, meaning that it would be bad to be cut by that edge, but that only worried Tirek that they were going to be stopped by someone else.

What surprised him was the fact that the knight didn't attack them, rather he lifted his large weapon and cut down the hollow that happened to be approaching him and Sarana, killing it in a matter of seconds, before he sheathed his weapon and faced the pair, though it was in that moment that Tirek assumed that the knight was staring at Sarana, meaning they might know each other.

"Martok, I was curious if we would see each other again," Sarana said, naming the knight that was standing in front of them, giving Tirek something to work with in case the knight turned to talk with him, though at the same time Martok did appear to be relieved that she was fine, or at least that was what Tirek assumed was going on, since he couldn't see the man's face thanks to his helmet.

"I am glad to see that you made it this far without harm befalling you, Sarana." Martok replied, where Tirek could tell that he actually had emotions and that he was different from his companion, even though they both seemed to know that he was referring to becoming a mindless hollow and not dying a few times, even though it took Tirek a few seconds to even understand that, before Matrok turned towards him, "Allow me to introduce myself, I am Matrok, a knight that was part of the same company that Sarana was in before we fell and were buried in the Cemetery of Ash... only to be called back at different times to link the Fire."

"Tirek, a sorcerer looking for his true power, and other things." Tirek stated, deciding just to get this over with and see if there was anything useful the warrior could tell him, though at the same time he had the feeling that Martok, now that he had found Sarana, would be begging to join the group and help his former comrade in her quest, even though Sarana acted like he was the leader of their party.

"By 'other things' he means the Lords of Cinder, who I'm helping him find." Sarana added, because she knew part of what her companion was looking for, in terms of power, but so far she was focusing on the three beings they were hunting down, before they even focused on the fourth missing Lord, the Prince himself, before a thought seemed to come to her while they were standing there, "Maybe you should take Martok on as well, like you did with Yoel, only instead of him leaving for the shrine, like the pilgrim did, he can walk with us and help us fight the enemies that are in our way, leaving you to stand back and cast spells without endangering yourself."

Tirek thought about it for a moment, as it would be nice to have a knight that would fight the foes that were in front of them, allowing Sarana to scout out an area or attack foes with the bow she picked up while he could focus on blasting his targets with a Soul Arrow or two, making him remember that Yoel was a sorcerer and that he might have a few spells that he could purchase, to add to his list, before he glanced at Martok.

"It would be nice having a dedicated warrior in our group," Tirek admitted, as it would ensure that someone held the attention of the enemies that were in the area that was in front of them, allowing him and Sarana to deal with them from a distance and weaken them in the process, before he turned his full attention to the warrior, "Very well then, I'll take you on as well, to help us find and take down the Lords of Cinder."

"I won't disappoint you." Martok stated, showing that he was glad to be of help to someone, even though Tirek was a little convinced that with his armor and his weapon he could have cut his way through the area that was in front of them and could have potentially found one of the Lords of Cinder on his own, but decided not to question it, as adding a fine warrior to their group was more important at the moment.

With that done, and their party expanded, Tirek made sure to light the next bonfire, as it was time for them to see what this ruined village had in store for them and if it held any clues as to where one of the Lords of Cinder had done, as he was eager to find them and take one of them down, even though he was sure it would be some time before they were able to do either of those things.