• Published 19th Mar 2019
  • 1,516 Views, 61 Comments

Return to Everfree - Godslittleprincess



Flash, Twilight, and their friends take a group of foster children to Camp Everfree for a week. Fun, self-discovery, and drama ensue.

  • ...
3
 61
 1,516

Chapter 5: Somebody Who Cares

“Pinkie, are you sure it’s a good idea for you to be helping with the cookie-making group?” Micro Chips asked the next morning.

“Uh, duh!” Pinkie answered matter-of-factly. “Why wouldn’t it be?”

“So, the exploding sugar clouds aren’t a concern for you? At all?”

“Hey, as long as I handle the sugar very, very gently, the sugar won’t go boom.”

“What exploding sugar clouds?” asked Minty.

“Oh, well, you kids remember how Ms. Twilight can make things float?” Flash explained to the children.

The kids all nodded.

“Well, Ms. Pinkie can make sugar explode.”

Missy gasped in amazement. “Do the sugar explosions still taste like sugar?”

“I, I don’t know,” replied Pinkie before her eyes widened in excitement, “but now, I really want to find out.”

“Maybe we should get started on making the cookies first,” Derpy suggested. “The group that’s out birdwatching is probably going to want a snack when they get back from their nature walk.”


After a while, everyone was at the mess hall quietly making cookies. When suddenly, the unpredictable struck.

“Denny, what’s going on with your face?” Kit asked noticing the bright red splotches that were appearing on Denny’s skin.

“They’re on his hands too,” cried Sage.

Denny looked at his hands and screamed before he began to cough. “Guys, I don’t feel so good.”

“What going on?” Flash rushed over and scanned the surroundings, seeing a bowl of slivered almonds on the table. “Denny, are you allergic to almonds?”

“I don’t know. I’ve never had them before,” Denny choked out between coughs.

“Micro! Pinkie! D! Get over here!” Flash shouted, causing the other three volunteers to rush over. “Denny’s having an allergic reaction. Micro, call 911. D, find a first aid kit and an Epi pen if possible. Pinkie, stay with Denny. I’m going to get Thorax and Gloriosa.”

“Got it,” Derpy replied as she scanned the mess hall for a first aid kit. Micro pulled out his phone, and Flash rushed out as fast as he could.


“Gloriosa! Gloriosa!” Flash shouted as he ran from the mess hall to the cabin where Gloriosa’s office was.

Timber saw him running and intercepted him, slamming a fist into his palm. “Hey, I think you and I need to have a little talk.”

“Not now!” Flash pushed the older teen aside and continued to call for the camp director.

“Hey! Don’t ignore me.” However, Flash wasn’t listening.

“What’s going on?” Gloriosa stepped out from the office cabin.

“A kid’s having an allergy in the mess hall. We need an Epi pen, stat,” Flash hurriedly explained between pants.

Gloriosa’s eyes widened as she rushed into her office. She came out with an Epi pen in hand and ran as fast as she could to the mess hall. Seeing Gloriosa and Timber make their way to the mess hall, Flash quickly began looking for the hiking trail that led into the woods.


“Thorax!” Thorax turned around at the sound of his name being called and saw Flash running towards him. Flash stopped running when he saw that he had gotten Thorax’s attention. “Denny’s having a bad reaction to one of the cookie ingredients.”

Thorax’s eyes widened and his jaw dropped. “Kids, stay with Ms. Twilight, Ms. Sunset, Mr. Sandalwood, and First Base, alright? I’ve got to take care of this.”

The two of them arrived back at the campsite to see Gloriosa climbing into a small jeep while Timber placed Denny on the back.

“Oh my gosh! Is Denny okay?” Thorax frantically asked Gloriosa.

“Don’t worry. He’s fine. I managed to give him the Epi pen in time. I’m just taking him to the emergency clinic in town,” Gloriosa answered. “You might want to come with us.”

Thorax climbed into the jeep next to Denny before turning to Flash. “Flash, you’re in charge of the kids until I get back.”

“And you’re in charge of the camp,” Gloriosa told her brother. “Don’t do anything crazy or stupid while I’m gone, alright?”

“Yeah, yeah, just go already,” Timber replied.

Flash let out a sigh of relief as Gloriosa drove away with Thorax and Denny. “Man, that was close.”

Flash turned to make his way back to the mess hall when Timber once again intercepted him.

“So, now, that that’s been taken care of, how about that talk we need to have?” Timber said to Flash.

“Are you kidding me?” Flash deadpanned before suddenly shouting. “ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! A kid almost died a few minutes ago, and you want to get on my case about Twilight RIGHT NOW?!”

“Why not? We are alone, and the emergency’s been taken care of.”

“I don’t have time for this.” Flash once again pushed Timber away as he went towards the mess hall, but Timber got in his way again.

“All you have to do is answer one question for me, alright? Just one little question,” Timber stated with a disconcerting calmness. “Why you? Out of all the guys Twilight could have picked for a new boyfriend, why did it have to be you? That skinny twerp with the glasses would have been a step up from you, so why did she choose you, huh?”

Flash crossed his arms and looked away, clearly not wanting to have this conversation. However, he also knew that the only way to get Timber Spruce off his case was to play along with his sick game.

Flash took a breath, looked Timber in the eye, and said, “I don’t know.”

Timber blinked twice in shock. “What?”

“I. Don’t. Know,” Flash emphasized. “I don’t know why Twilight chose me for her new boyfriend. I don’t know why, out of all the guys in CHS, she asked me to go to the dance with her. I don’t know why she agreed to go on that first date with me or why she agreed to keep going on dates with me. I just don’t know!” Flash took a breath to calm himself before taking a step closer to Timber and pulling Timber by the shirt. “Here’s what I do know. Twilight chose me to be her boyfriend for a reason, and only an idiot would take having her for granted. I may not be very smart, but I’m not that kind of idiot.”

Once again, Flash pushed Timber aside as he made his way to the mess hall. Thankfully, this time, Timber didn’t try to stop him. When Flash entered the mess hall, he found everyone either dumping cookie dough into the trash bins or scrubbing the tabletops.

“Hey, guys,” said Flash as he entered. “What’s going on?”

“We’re scrapping the last batch of cookie dough and making the whole place as allergen-free as possible before starting a new no-almonds-whatsoever batch,” Pinkie Pie explained. “Wowee, that was scary. Good thing you kept your head on, Flash.”

“Good thing my mom used to make me and my brother go to those first aid workshops with her at the hospital,” Flash replied before picking up a rag and helping scrub down the tables.

“Hey, Flash, is everything okay?” Derpy asked, looking at her friend in concern.

“Yeah, Gloriosa and Thorax just took Denny to the emergency clinic in town, and they’ll probably be back in a few hours. Why?”

“Your ears are red.”

Flash self-consciously covered his burning ears and turned away from Derpy.

“A certain someone got on your case, didn’t he?” Micro deduced.

“Yup,” Flash replied. “Look, guys, don’t worry about it. If he’s smart, he’d quit pressing the issue.”

“If he was smart, he wouldn’t have picked a fight with your brother yesterday.”


After sharing some almond-free cookies with the group that went birdwatching and spending the rest of the morning proving that sugar explosions do, in fact, still taste like sugar, the campers and the volunteers all lined up for lunch. While in the lunch line, Flash couldn’t help but notice that Twilight was standing closer to him than normal and maybe even clinging to his arm a little. When the two of them sat down, Twilight sat so close to him that if she was any closer, she’d be right on his lap.

“Uh, Twilight,” Flash began. “It’s not that I don’t enjoy having you in my personal space, but is something wrong?”

Twilight put on a forced grin. “Why would anything be wrong?”

Flash raised an eyebrow at her. She sighed as she turned away from him and shook her head.

“Okay, something is wrong,” she admitted, “but I can’t tell you in front of the kids.”

“Okay,” Flash replied, “why don’t you meet me where we were yesterday and tell me after the kids have gone to sleep?”

Rather suddenly, Twilight leaned into him and threw her arms around him.

“Okay,” she said with a nod.

Flash blinked a few times, thoroughly confused, before putting his arm around her. She seemed to relax a bit under his touch, so he started to gently rub her shoulder.


That night, Thorax, Gloriosa, and Denny managed to get back in time for a round of campfire songs, and everybody was over the moon to see that Denny was okay. Even Honey Bee was happy to see him, well, happy by her standards. After celebrating Denny’s return with a few campfire songs and plenty of allergen-free s’mores, the volunteers put all the kids to bed, and Flash and Twilight snuck off into the woods together.

“So, what was going on with you during lunch today?” Flash asked as he and Twilight once again sat down on the log next to the pond in the woods.

Twilight took his hand and squeezed it. “Don’t get mad, okay?”

Flash returned Twilight’s squeeze and replied, “No promises.”

“After you left with Thorax,” Twilight began, “a few of the kids needed to go to the bathroom, so First Base and I took them back to camp. When we got to camp, we saw you and Timber arguing. After you went into the mess hall, I told Base to take the kids to the bathroom and went to confront Timber myself.” Twilight let out a shuddering breath before continuing, “I told him that if he didn’t get off your case, then he and I couldn’t be friends and that I would count him as a stranger for as long as I lived.”

Flash could have sworn that he heard the beginnings of a sob, however faint, coming out of Twilight. “Keep going. I’m listening.”

“Timber stole my first kiss!” Twilight blurted out as her voice broke.

“Wait. What?” Flash’s eyes popped open, and his jaw hit the floor. The horrible, icy feeling was once again spreading over his internal organs.

“He just grabbed onto me and kissed me, so I pushed him away, struck him, and stormed off as quickly as I could. That kiss was supposed to be ours.” Tears began flowing down Twilight’s face as she turned away from Flash. “I’m sorry, Flash. I’m so sorry.”

Flash cupped Twilight’s face in his hands, lifted her head up, and turned her back towards him.

“Hey, hey,” he said tenderly. “I’m not mad at you. It’s not your fault. It’s not your fault.” He continued to reassure her as he pulled her into an embrace and she continued to cry. Then, in a dark tone, he said, “If it’s anybody’s fault, it’s Timber’s.”

“Flash,” she managed to get out between sobs. “I know you’re upset, but please don’t make a scene, okay? Just please don’t.”

“Okay, okay. I won’t,” he whispered tenderly as she cried into his chest.

Twilight pulled away from him when her sobbing finally died down. Flash rubbed the last of her tears away from her face with his hands. Then, he brushed her hair back and kissed her temple.


When the two of them finally returned to the cabins, they found Thorax outside waiting for them along with Gloriosa and Timber. Both Thorax and Gloriosa were scowling furiously while Timber was looking at the ground.

“Flash, Twilight,” Thorax greeted, his expression unreadable. “Just who we needed to see.”

“What’s going on?” Flash asked, hesitantly, worried that he and Twilight had gotten themselves into trouble.

“Well, it would seem as if my brother,” Gloriosa continued, pushing Timber forward, “needs to apologize to the two of you for something.”

Timber slowly lifted his head and bit his lip as his intestines twisted into a knot. “Uh, I’m sorry.”

“Sorry for what?” Gloriosa prompted.

“I’m sorry that I kissed Twilight against her will.”

Flash stepped forward so that he was between Timber and Twilight and looked Timber in the eye. The blaze in his eyes caused Timber’s very bones to shake. Then, to everyone’s shock, Flash drove his fist into Timber’s stomach, causing the older boy to double over in pain.

“Flash!” Twilight cried, stepping forward to restrain him. However, instead of continuing to punch Timber, Flash took a step back and bent down to Timber’s level.

“That,” Flash said in a low tone, “was just a warning shot. If I hadn’t agreed not to make a scene, you’d be getting a lot more than that. Now, don’t you EVER mess with Twilight, my brother, the kids, or ANY of my friends again.”

Flash stood back up and walked away from the still-groaning Timber. Then, he took Twilight by the hand and walked her back to her cabin. Gloriosa helped her brother up to his feet and helped him walk back to their cabin, thoroughly relieved that that conversation went better than she thought it was going to.


Flash groaned as he flopped himself stomach-first on his bed, causing his brother to sit up and turn to him in concern. Micro Chips and Sandalwood had followed Flash up the stairs out of concern and were standing by the stairway.

“Hey, man, is everything okay?” Micro asked.

“Fine, I guess,” Flash groaned as he flipped himself onto his back.

“So, uh, we kinda overheard Thorax talking with Gloriosa and Timber,” Sandalwood explained. “How’s Twilight doing?”

Flash sighed, dropping his arms to his side. “She was pretty upset, but she’s fine now.”

“So, um, how are YOU doing?” asked Micro.

Flash shook his head. “I don’t know. I mean, I’m honestly pretty mad at Timber for what he did, but at the same time,” he sighed again, “I can’t help but envy him.”

“You want to kiss Twilight against her will, get slapped across the face, and be utterly despised?” Base asked, thoroughly confused. “Doesn’t that go against everything Mom and our grandparents thought us about how to treat women?”

“No!” Flash cried. “I’m not envious about what Timber did. I’m envious because, because I wish I was bolder when it comes to my relationship with Twilight. I wish I can do something crazy and wild that shows her just how much she means to me.”

“And swallowing your pride and spilling your guts to her wasn’t crazy enough for you? What? Are you going to ask her to marry you next?”

“I’m thinking about it.”

The jaws of every boy in the room who wasn’t Flash promptly dropped off the face of the earth.

“I was just kidding,” Base protested.

“F-Flash, slow down a little,” Micro stammered. “The two of you have only been together for a couple of months, you just barely turned eighteen, and the two of you are about to go to different colleges. How can you already be thinking about marriage?!”

Sandalwood shushed Micro’s outburst, “Dude, kids are asleep, the girls are next door, and the walls are thin. Keep it down.”

Flash sat up and looked at his friends and brother. “I know. I know. It’s too soon for that. It’s definitely too soon for that.”

He flopped back onto his bed and roared into his pillow. “Gosh! What is wrong with me? Why can’t I shake off the feeling that I’m not good enough for Twilight?”

“It wouldn’t have anything to do with the fact that the two of you are about to leave for different colleges and that Twilight might end up meeting smart, attractive guys who share her interests while she’s away, would it?” Micro Chips inquired.

Flash pitched his pillow straight for Micro’s face and cried out, “Don’t remind me.”

“I’m counting that as a yes.” Micro nonchalantly tossed the pillow back at Flash.

“Bro, why wouldn’t you be good enough for Twilight?” First Base retorted. “You’re a prince.”

Flash lifted his head up and stared at Base, his younger brother’s confusingly meaningful words having pierced through the shell of inadequacy that he had been hiding behind.

“At least, that’s what Mom said you were. Mom may have been wrong about some things, and she may have even lied from time to time, but she definitely wasn’t wrong about that, and she definitely wasn’t lying when she called you that.”

Flash blinked a few times as Base’s words further sank in.

“And you know what, you know what? If Twilight can’t see that in you, it’s her loss, not yours.”

Flash sighed as he turned over onto his back, “I think she does see that in me. She more or less told me so yesterday.”

“You know that she can see the prince inside of you and still break up with you, right?” Micro pointed out and was met with glares from everybody in the room. “Okay, forget I said anything.”

“You know what, dudes? I think Micro and I better be going to bed already. We’re going to need to be totally energized for tomorrow, ya know,” Sandalwood said as he and Micro began to head down the stairs. “Oh, and dude, don’t freak over your lady, man. She totally loves you. Would she have slapped her ex for stealing your kiss if she didn’t?”

Once the two brothers were alone, Flash turned off the light and said, “Good night, Little Bro.”

“G’night, Little Prince,” First Base replied jokingly. Flash’s pillow arced across the room before landing squarely yet gently on top of his younger brother’s face.

Author's Note:

I am not proud of myself. :fluttershyouch:

By the way, I'm a little worried that I may have made Timber Spruce too much of a jerk in this story. As far as I can tell, he's pretty in character, but then again, I don't really like him, so I might be biased. I'm also worried that the allergy scene might have been too scary, but I needed a climax. Sorry about that.

One more thing, I didn't make Flash too insecure, did I? I mean, I sure hope I didn't.