• Published 16th Mar 2019
  • 1,697 Views, 55 Comments

A Pact to Live - OblivionShadow



A battle between dragons ends with a village in ruins and one ponies life changed forever. Phoenix is now on very close terms with an Ancient Dragon. It is the beginning of a tale all their own.

  • ...
2
 55
 1,697

3: Nights Pass By...

Nix looked up as the wagon in front of him slowed to a near stop and he waited as it dug out of the mud and began forward once more. The rain had down poured for a short while that afternoon and had been more than enough to soak them all and make the roads thick with mud. The ponies ahead of him were struggling as they moved forward. Nix cursed under his breath and tried to keep his own temper in check.

“For the love of the Flames!” Kahl cursed colorfully in his mind.

“A bit frustrated there Kahl?”

“By the Gods this is maddening. You could have made a path in the time it takes them to dig themselves out every ten minutes.” The dragon snarled.

“That’s an idea.” Nix replied. “Could I break a path?”

“Easily. Anything is better than the constant waiting.” Kahl growled.

“Hey!” Nix shouted to the wagon ahead of him.

“I know! I’m trying!” He yelled back.

“No. That’s not what I meant.” Nix now found himself cursing as well. “Kahl. Can I get a boost from you?”

“Yes? Why?”

“I’m going off-road.” He replied and began to pull onto the muddied shoulder of the road.

“Go.” Kahl replied.

Nix pulled harder against the traces and threw his weight forward as he pulled off the main road and began to trot forward. He saw the strange glances he got from the other wagons as he plunged ahead.

“Veer slightly left.” Kahl advised.

“Got it.” Nix did as the dragon instructed him and he galloped forward finally reaching the front and veering in front.

“Dig deep and trot ahead. You will need to keep a steady pace to avoid having Strong go up your flank.” Kahl advised him and the stallion nodded as he focused on his job.

Nix could hear the others behind him shouting at him and he dug deeper into the mud that was now up to his hocks, it stuck to his fur as he dug in. The Unicorn stayed at a steady trot and kept up that pace until morning began to dawn and the sun rose in the skies above him.

“Ease up. The others are beginning to fall back a bit. You led them a fair distance. Be ready to tell them a story about how a smaller Unicorn was able to outpace the workhorse.” Kahl said to him.

“Magic.” Nix replied aloud.

Kahl chuckled as he slowed down and finally stopped as a shout sounded out behind him. He waited as the sound of hooves drew up to him. “Pant a bit.” Kahl said to him as Gemmed came up to him.

“Nix, are you okay?” She asked.

The Unicorn panted as the mare spoke to him. “I’m okay.” He replied to her, feigning being out of breath.

“You broke the road for, like, three hours. Are you sure you’re okay?”

“I‘m good. Everypony was struggling and I was still pretty rested so I figured I could help out by breaking the road and making it easy for them to keep up the pace.” He said to her.

“You are amazing.” She said to him.

“Not really. Is everypony okay?” He asked her.

“Yeah, everypony is okay. Just a bit worn from the road. So we will eat and then switch out and let the others rest.” She said to him as her name was called and she trotted away from him with a flick of her tail.

“That was nice of her to check in.” Nix though to the dragon.

“…I’m not sure if you’re clueless or blind.” Kahl replied to him.

“Huh? That’s mean.” Nix said to him. “How am I clueless?”

“She is quite fond of you.” The dragon replied.

“Not sure why. She and I really didn’t talk much. I mean, she’s nice enough, if a bit shy.”

“If I had a body I would be slapping my paw to my face.”

“Okay why?”

“She is flirting with you. And you are either blind or ignorant. I am not sure which.”

“She’s what?!”

“By the Flames. And the verdict is blind.”

“No way. I am so not her type.”

“Do you even know her type? Or even yours for that matter?”

“I like…umm…Shit.”

“Ha-ha.” Kahl laughed as the Unicorn looked uncertainly back the way the mare had gone.

“But I don’t like her that way.” Nix said to him. “What do I do?”

“I would advise doing nothing. Continue as you have been and do not string her along. Which you have not been doing so just keep on as you are.” Kahl advised him.

“Great. Now I’m gonna panic when she comes close.” Nix replied.

“Just be normal.” Kahl replied.

“Not helping.” Nix grumbled as Strong came up to him.

“Nix, lad.” The pony addresses him.

“Hey, Strong. Are you okay? You look a little stressed.” Nix said to him, concern in his tone.

“Yer okay?”

“I’m fine. Why does everypony think I’m hurt or something?”

“You broke the mud for us for three hours son.”

“So?”

“Yer not a…Heavyweight pony.”

“Duh.”

Strong gave him a look and Nix nodded to him. “Yer a lightweight son. How did ya manage it?”

Nix was quiet and pointed to his horn. “Magic.” He replied.

“Ya can keep that up for that long?”

“If I do it right, sure.” Nix chirped back to him.

“Well if it works, then I’m all fer it. Thanks, lad.”

“No problem. Do you need me to keep going?” Nix asked as the other began to walk away.

“We need ta feed ya first.”

“Right.” Nix unclipped the traces and followed the other stallion as they went back to the fire.

“Well done on keeping that questioning from going further. Allow them to question but always keep the truth at bay.” Kahl advised.

“Agreed. The last thing I want is for them to find out about you. I’m more nervous about meeting the Princesses.” Nix admitted.

“I am not looking forward to it either if that helps. But between the two if us we can keep our Pact a secret. Simply tell them what you saw and keep to the story that you were unconscious and did not see what happened to me. Which is technically accurate.” Kahl replied.

“Thank Equestria for that.” Nix replied with a chuckle.

“Ya okay lad?” Strong said as he glanced over his shoulder.

“Yep. Just thinking.”

“Ahh, good fer ya. Keep up.”

“Thanks.”

Nix went quiet as he followed the other pony to the waiting fire and sat among the other ponies as they waited for their meal. He sat back and looked around him to find that each pony looked exhausted and was covered in mud from hoof to knee. He looked down and saw that he was in the same condition and managed not to chuckle. Each pony looked to him and one finally spoke up as they waited.

“How did you manage to run to the front?” He asked.

“I ran.” Nix quipped.

The others laughed at his reply and nodded at the other stallion. “That’s not what I meant you smart ass.”

“I know. But you asked and that’s the truth. All I did was dig in and go forward.” Nix admitted.

“Yeah, but you’re not exactly a cart pony.” They went on.

"I know. But I do have one thing over you.” Nix replied. He pointed to the horn on his forehead and watched as they all nodded and laughed.

“Okay, that’s a good point. Unicorn magic is definitely a difference between us.” They laughed.

Nix nodded as plates of food were handed out and he took one as it was given to him. He slowly ate his breakfast and watched as the other ponies began to gather by the main carts and he looked away as the Mayor and Strong began to argue once more. He could sense that Kahl was more interested in the brewing argument than the stallion was.

“Why are they arguing this time?” Kahl asked.

“Who knows? They have kinda been at odds ever since Draft took over as Mayor.” Nix replied.

“Strong was in the place before him?”

“No. Strong’s wife was. She passed away last year and Strong didn’t want to take over so Draft petitioned for the position and got it. But ever since, he seems more interested in expanding the village and the bits it could generate. Most just want the village to remain the community it was and enjoy the company of the ponies around them.” Nix explained.

“I see. Should he not be more interested in the happiness and prosperity of his people than his pocketbook?” Kahl replied.

“That’s how it should be, but Draft was a city pony before he came to the village. So he still has that big city feeling to him and it clashes with the others. Now that the village is gone I’m not sure what will happen to it.” Nix told him.

“What is your opinion?” Kahl asked.

“I don’t know.” He admitted and looked away from his food and to the skies above him. “I’ve been there for a couple for years because I owed them.”

“I would say that you have paid them back two-fold.” The dragon replied.

“Yes. I’m beginning to think so as well. Plus I always felt that I owed the couple that directly took me in and saved my life.”

“They lost their lives that day. I am sorry for your loss.” Kahl said to him, his voice somber.

“Thanks. I will miss them. They were good ponies and never asked for any in return for the life they saved. I offered and they told me to let it go. I stayed…for them.” Nix admitted it the dragon.

“I know. But they have gone from this world and you are free as well. I may not have known them but I have met their type. And they always wish the best for those that they meet. I do not doubt that they view you in the same way and would be glad to hear that you are freed from the burden you feel to them.” Kahl said to him.

“I know. And I know your right. But I’m going to help them to Canterlot at least so I will do what I can to help them get settled again.” He was quiet as he thought over what he might wish to do now. “Will you help?”


“Of course.” Kahl replied quickly to his question.

“Thanks. I guess I should go over there and pull them apart…Again.” Nix said and set down the plate he was using and walked over to the squabbling stallions. As he neared them he could hear that they were fighting over who would rest and who would pull the wagons. Nix sighed and he reached them

“Okay, ease up guys.” He said and they ignored him. Nix growled as he pushed his way in between them and forced the arguing ponies apart. “Enough!” He yelled at them. “Goddess preserve me you two argue like an old married couple.”

“We do not.” Draft replied.

“Yes, you are. Geez. I can fix this. Those that rested overnight can pull the wagons and the others will pull. So Strong will rest and you will pull.” Nix said to them, his voice louder and held finality.

“I have to pull?” Draft replied, his expression shocked.

“Yes.” Nix replied. “You are no better or less than any pony here. Your title means nothing right now Draft. Get off your high pedestal and get your hooves dirty. I can keep going so I will break the trail and try to keep the mud at bay. I can’t do it all so stay in my trail. That will make things easier. Strong?”

“The lad is right. We need to work together. I am sorry fer arguin’ with ya.” Strong replied, his tone clipped.

Draft looked angrily from stallion to stallion and finally nodded. “Fine.” He snapped and trudged toward the wagons.

“He hates us.” Nix said aloud as the Mayor vanished around a wagon.

“Yup.” Strong replied.

“Without a doubt.” Kahl voiced as well.

“He’s just mad that Ah told him the truth.” Strong commented.

“Which is?” Nix asked as they looked back to the resting ponies.

“That there is no need of a Mayor when the village is ash.”

“Oh. So that’s why he’s so bent out of shape. You know how he is about that title.” Nix commented as Kahl chuckled in the back of his mind.

“Yep. Kept saying that he should be working for the ponies and not standing over ‘em.”

“While I agree with you, can we pause the fight till we get to Canterlot?” Nix asked with a plaintive glance to the blacksmith.

“Yeah. Will have to wait for the end of it till we get to the Princesses.”

“Goody.” Nix replied, sarcasm dripping from his voice.

“Not lookin’ forward to it?”

“Not really.” Nix replied. “I already said what happened so what is the point of dragging me in there to explain.”

“Ya were the only one ta run back there, lad. Ya saw the fight better than us.” Strong reasoned.

“Damn you and your reasoning.” Nix quipped to him with a laugh.

“Come on lad.”

“Should prove interesting to see if that pony does any work or hides until it’s too late to chase him down.” Kahl commented once the other stallion was out of earshot.

“Oh hell no.” Nix replied and trotted back to the group.

The Unicorn trotted around the wagons, his eyes searching as he finally spotted the pony he was looking for. Draft was sitting next to the lightest wagon of the group as if staking his claim on that wagon. Nix stared at him from the side of the other wagon and sighed.

“Well least he is not hiding away.” Kahl said to him and the stallion snorted in reply. “But he does not realize that he will be getting mud thrown at him from the wagon ahead of him. He would be better served to take the one behind you if he wished to stay cleanest.”

Nix backed away from the wagon, a smile crept over his features and he walked away from the sight. “Good point.” He though to the dragon. “That made my morning, Kahl.”

“I figured you would appreciate that bit of information.” The dragon chuckled back to him.

As he trotted back to his wagon he looked back as the others got situated as well. He began to pull the traces up around him as a pony pulled up close to him.

“Hey, Nix?” Gemmed said to him.

“Ahh!” Nix shouted as she startled him. “Holy Goddess, Gemmed! Scared the hell out of me.” He said to her and she flushed at his words. He panted for a moment as he recovered. “Yeah?”

“I’m sorry about that. Could I walk with you?”

“Huh?”

“Hahaha.” Kahl chuckled in the back of his mind.

Nix’s eyes widened as he recalled the dragon's words from earlier. “Umm…” His mind stalled out as he tried to answer her. “This is all your fault, Kahl!”

“Hardly. I suppose I could help you if needed.”

“YES!” The stallion cried out as the dragon gave an obvious sigh.

“Inform her that you would not wish to get her covered in mud since you will be trotting the whole way to break the track.” He advised.

“I wouldn’t want to get you covered in mud from me trotting and breaking the track for everypony behind me.” He said to her.

“Good.” Kahl praised as the mare smiled.

“Oh, that’s kind of you to think of me like that. I wouldn’t want to disrupt you while you’re working. Thanks for thinking of me, Nix.”

“Of course.” Kahl said to him.

“Of course.” Nix said with a thin smile.

The mare vanished and he waited until he could no longer hear her hoof beats on the ground. He sighed aloud and sagged in the traces. “Why are mares so complicated?” He asked the dragon.

“I do not have an answer for that. I suspect that the females of any race are similar in complexity.” Kahl replied.

“Great. Even dragons?”

“Oh yes.” Kahl commented with a chuckle. “Even more so in some ways.”

“Yeah no. I’ll pass for now. I’m a mess around mares anyway.” He replied with a shrug. “Thanks for the bailout by the way.”

“Not a problem.”

“Startup Nix lad.” Strong yelled to him.

“Got it!” Nix yelled back and pushed forward. He knew better than to throw himself into the traces as he had in the beginning and steadily pulled forward.


“Hold up!”

Nix’s ears flicked back as a shout went out and he slowed to a stop and leaned out as far as he could without getting out of line. “What the shit?”

“I am not sure.” Kahl replied.

Nix looked back and Strong trotted up to him, his face screwed up into a face of annoyance. The Unicorn was quiet as the blacksmith drew up to him and pulled in a breath of air and Nix could feel the anger in the air.

“Strong?”

“He’s at it again, lad.”

“Back Draft?”

“Yup.”

“Dammit. Now what?”

“Claims he hurt himself pulling.” Strong replied.

“I’m sure. Sprained his pride.” Nix jabbed. “So what does he want?”

“Wants to be carried.”

“Hell with that.” Nix yelped. “He can walk for all I care. I’m not saddling anypony with his dead ass.”

“Well. He wants you to carry him.”

Nix’s eyes widened. “I admit he has balls.” Nix replied.

Strong laughed at his reply and nodded. “Ay. He does at that. So should ah tell ‘im to bugger himself?”

“Yup.”

Strong nodded and trotted back the way he had come. Nix waited till the other was out of earshot. “Is he serious?” Nix yelled out to the dragon.

“Apparently he is.” The dragon chuckled. “You could carry him.”

“Why in the hell would I do that?”

“He seems to think that it will add the burden to you. When in fact he will suffer for it.”

“How so?”

“You have the heaviest wagon and are breaking the trail for the others. So the ride on this wagon will be punishing at best.”

“Ohhh…You’re a genius.” He replied. “Strong!” He screamed back.

The blacksmith came back to him and slowed at the malicious grin on the young Unicorns face. “Lad?”

“Let him ride. He seems to think it will bother me so let him ride. He will regret it.” Nix replied, the smile still on his face.

“Okay.” Strong replied and loped off to speak to the other stallion.

Nix chuckled as he waited and the pony was brought to him after a minute or so if waiting. The Unicorn looked back to him, feigning concern. “Get yourself hurt there, Draft?”

“Was an unfortunate hoof placement.” He claimed and pulled himself carefully into the driver’s seat of the wagon. “I appreciate you agreeing to let me ride here with you, Nix. Very mature of you.”

“Not a problem. Just keep yourself steady and enjoy the ride.” He replied and smiled warmly as he turned to look at the muddied and rough road ahead of him. His smile slowly morphed into one of malice as he waited.

“All set. Let us get back to our wagons and I’ll call up fer ya.” Strong said and left them to return to his own wagon.

“This is gonna be great.” Nix said to the waiting dragon.

The dragon chuckled at his glee and waited as well.

“Ho ahead, Nix.” Strong yelled out to him.

“Got it!” He yelled back and jumped in the traces, jolting the wagon forward.

A yelp from behind him urged him on as he broke out the trail. He surged ahead into a strong trot as he set the wheels into the trail once more and pushed ahead. A glance back gave him the incentive to keep going as Draft whined and complained as they went forward.

“Slow a bit.” Kahl advised and Nix did as he said.

Nix held back a sadistic chuckle at the upset whining from behind him. The time passed by him as he drove forward and the trial began to level out and the mud gave way to hardened soil, making it harder to break through it evenly. As a small hill loomed ahead, Nix was beginning to feel fatigue beginning to catch up to him.

“Kahl?”

“I can help you get up there but we will need to rest after this. I have been supplementing your strength with my own reserves. We can get to the bottom of the hill ahead of us but we are going to have to stop there.” Kahl advised him.

“Got it.”

Nix pushed into the traces and he drove up the hill ahead of him. He could feel warmth seeping into his muscles as Kahl pushed strength into him and urged him forward. The midnight blue stallion pushed into the traces and pulled up the hill and reached the top panting with the effort. He looked up and he could see the shining city of Canterlot in the distance.

“Finally.” He breathed out and focused on getting down the hill without falling.

“Nix?”

“Yeah, Draft?”

“Will we be going to the city before the evening?” The Mayor asked as the Unicorn crept carefully down the hill.

“Only if you’re pulling this thing.” He snapped back. “I’m done for the night.”

“It’s not too far away now we could…”

“No.” Nix cut him off as they reached the bottom and he pulled off into the grass.

The Unicorn collapsed into the grass and laid still in the traces. He could hear the other wagons as they made it down the hill but he didn’t move. Weariness bit at his body and he didn’t even have the desire to move from his place. In his mind Kahl was quiet but he could feel the dragon’s strength was still with him and he thanked him quietly as he laid still.

“I am with you.” Kahl said to him and kept up his quiet support of the exhausted pony.

“Nix!” A shout caught his ear and he flicked an ear back to the roads. Strong entered into his vision and he looked to him. “Lad, are you hurt?”

“No.” Nix muttered out loud. “Just…done.” He replied.

“Got it.” Strong said to him, relief in his voice as he began to pull the traces off of the Unicorn and he clicked his tongue when he saw that some of his fur had been rubbed in places but didn’t seem injured.

“All right, lad. Can ya get to yer hooves?”

“I think so.” Nix replied and slowly got to his hooves.

His legs shook slightly but he stood on his own four hooves as Strong began to guide him away from the abandoned wagon. “All right son. Sit down here and we’ll get ya some food and let ya sleep for the night.” Strong assured him as he indicated for the Unicorn to sit down and wait quietly in place.

Nix nodded and sat where he had told and waited as the others moved around him. “Kahl?”

“Yes, Nix?”

“You okay?”

“I’m fine. It will take a little while to replenish my reserves but I am fine. I advise doing exactly as Strong has said. Eat and then sleep. You have done the work for them for nearly twenty-four straight hours. You have earned the rest.” The dragon said to him.

“We both have.” He replied and sighed.

He looked up as a pony sat next to him and handed him a plate of food. He took the plate from Gemmed and ate in silence as the others shifted around him. He felt a hoof on his back and looked over his shoulder to see Strong checking in on him.

“I’m good.” He replied to the concerned pony.

The blacksmith nodded and looked to the mare at Nix’s side. “Watch over him ya hear?” She nodded and smiled back to him. “When he’s done put ‘im in the back of yer wagon and let ‘im sleep it off. Ya worked hard today, Nix. Ya earned a good rest.”

Gemmed nodded and stayed at his side. When he finished his meal he set the plate down and got to his hooves. Gemmed placed a hoof on his shoulder and her hoof gripped a small chunk of his mane. She led him to the wagon that he had slept in over a day ago and she hustled him into the back of it and tossed a blanket over his shoulders and let him sleep.

“Good night Nix.” She said to him and gave him a gentle nuzzle before she closed the back of the wagon.

He heard her hooves leave him behind and he closed his eyes. “Kahl?”

“Sleep Nix. You have to rest now.” The dragon replied.

“I will. Thanks for your help.” The Unicorn whispered aloud.

“Of course. Now rest, Nix.”

Nix’s eyes closed and he could feel himself slipping into sleep and he let his head fall to the side and he let his mind go blank as he fell asleep.


Nix groaned as he awoke. He could feel a warmth around him and he snuggled down into the blanket and tried to go back to sleep. He paused as the warmth beside him shifted and he opened one eye and he could see a pale pink coat ahead of him and he opened his other eyes to see. He lifted his head slowly and he saw Gemmed cuddled close to him and his eyes went wide.

“Ahhh!” He shouted and leaped forward, only to fall from the wagon in a tangled heap. “Ouch.”

He got to his hooves and looked up as Gemmed stared at him from inside the wagon. His eyes were still wide as she cocked her head slightly at his panicked expression.

“Calm down.” Kahl said to him. “There was nowhere else for her to sleep so Strong told her to sleep next to you.”

“Oh…” He said aloud.

The Unicorn blinked and shook his head as if to clear it. “Sorry about that Gemmed. I didn’t know you were there, so I panicked a bit. You okay?”

“I’m fine. Are you?” She asked him.

“Yeah. Aside from being an idiot.” He joked to her.

She giggled and pulled the blanket off her back and set it back in the wagon. The mare jumped from the wagon. “At least you’re okay.” She said to him and walked past him.

Nix stayed in his place as the mare left him behind. “There are times where you are one of the dumbest ponies I have ever met.” Kahl poked at him.

“Shut it.” He grumbled and looked around him.

The Unicorn joined the others around the fire and waited for his meal to be given to him. AS he sat in silence he could see the tiredness of the ponies around him and he made sure to wait patiently and let others go ahead of him. He got his meal and trotted away from the group and sat next to the wagon he had pulling the days before.

“Hey Kahl?”

“Hmm?”

“Are you good to go?”

“Yes. We both have recovered from yesterday.”

“For a dragon and a fit pony we tired out really fast.” He began.

“That was a onetime thing, thankfully.”

“Really?”

“Yes. As time goes on we will become more attuned to the other and your stamina will improve greatly. Our Pact is still growing and it will take time for it to become fully stabilized. We are two separate species so it takes time.” Kahl said to him.

“Oh. That makes sense actually. So our tiring out yesterday was a onetime thing?”

“Yes. In time we can go days at that same pace and outlast even those in your age bracket.” Kahl supplied.

“Cool.” Nix commented and a smile tugged at his mouth.

He finished his food in silence and stood to take it back to the others when Gemmed came around and reached out for the plate. He smiled and gave it to her and she walked away from him back to the others. He looked to the sky to avoid watching her hips as she moved away from him. He grumbled as Kahl began to laugh at him as he closed his eyes in a grimace.

“I hate you.” Nix said to the dragon, who continued to laugh at his awkwardness.

“I’m sure you do.” Kahl replied as he chuckled.

“Nix!”

The Unicorn looked up as the Mayor and Strong both came up to him.

“Great.” He grumbled to the dragon.

“Here we go.” Kahl replied.

“How’s it going, guys?” Nix said to them as they stopped close to him.

“You seem in good health this morning Nix.” Draft said to him.

“Yup. Glories of being young right?” He quipped.

“Indeed.” The Mayor replied. “As we discussed before me, Gemmed and you will be standing before the Princesses today. Are you ready for this task?”

“Sure.” Nix replied, trying to look certain of the decision. “I would rather not but I was told that I need to be there so I will do my best to tell it as I saw it.”

“Good. Make sure you tell them what you saw. Even if it’s not exactly the same.” He replied.

“What?” Nix said to him.

“What ya talkin’ about?” Strong asked him.

“We need to place blame where it is best. The last dragon we saw was that big black one. Logically he is the one that was the last to leave so much of the damage could have been from his departure.” Draft explained.

“Excuse me!?” Kahl yelled and Nix fought back a cringe at the volume. “This pompous little cretin should be kissing my claws! I should have let them eat him.”

Nix could feel Kahl’s outrage at the other words and the Unicorn tried not to act angry as he responded. “Blaming that black dragon is not going to happen. He was protecting what he could to allow ponies to escape. I will tell them the truth and not some stupid story that was made up.” Nix said to him.

“We must act in the best interest of the village and…”

“No.” Strong said to him. “Ya want ‘im ta lie and tell yer version o’ the truth. You self-centered pony, yer not lookin’ out fer the rest o’ us just yerself. Nix will tell the truth and the Princesses will be told the only truth.” Strong replied, his tone angry.

Draft looked at both of them and shrugged. “The truth is what we make it gentle colts.” He said as he turned away from them and walked back to the group.

“That stupid, pig-headed, jackass of a pony.” Strong cursed.

“Oh no.” Nix said and looked to the blacksmith. “Where’s Gemmed?”

“No idea. Why?”

“If he tells her to lie then I’m the one lying.” Nix replied to him as he broke into a trot as he looked for the mare.

“She is by the wagon where you woke up.” Kahl said to him as he moved.

“How do you know?”

“You could tell as well if you focused. I will teach you how to teach another time.”

Nix broke into a lope as he saw the wagon and he sighed with relief at the sight of the light pink mare. “Gemmed!” He shouted at her.

“Nix.” She said as she turned to him.

He drew up next to her and looked around to find that they were alone. “Has your dad talked to you about Canterlot yet?”

“No. He asked to talk to me once we got to the palace.” She said to him.

“Okay good. Okay so he was talking to me and Strong and he wants me to lie about what happened.”

Her eyes widened and she looked to him. “What? What did he want you to say?”

“He wanted me to blame the black dragon, you know the one that was trying to protect us?”

“Why?”

“Said that logically we should blame him for the damage.” He replied to her

“But he didn’t do a lot of the damage. It was the other three.” She said to him.

“I know and that’s what I said but he said that the truth is what we make it. And walked off.” Nix said to her. “I wanted to talk to you before he did and asked you to lie.”

“I won’t lie to the Princesses.” She replied to him and looked angry as he spoke.

“I know you won’t that’s why I came to talk to you. All I want is the truth to be told to them. I know you’re an honest mare that’s why I wanted to talk to you.”

“I promise you I won’t let him tell me to lie.” She said to him with a smile.

“Give her a hug.” Kahl said to him.

“Why?”

“Just do it.”

Nix reached out and hugged the mare and she held him tightly. She nuzzled his neck and he gently let go of her. “I knew I could count on you, to tell the truth. Thanks, Gemmed.” He said to her and she smiled and nodded to him.

The Unicorn walked away from her and looked around to find Strong. “Why did I have to hug her?”

“You won’t like the answer. But it shows care for her and you have earned the truth with a small bit of affection toward her.” Kahl replied.

Nix stopped and was quiet. “That’s so…underhooved.” He replied.

“I told you, you would not like the answer. But in my defense, you do have some affection for her in a friend type of way. It’s not as if I asked you to mount her.”

Nix went stiff at the others words and a strangled cough broke from him. “I’m not going to respond to that.” He replied and walked ahead.

Kahl chuckled in his mind. “I have heard it said that once you find the right one, things are easier.”

“Shut up.” Nix yelped. “By the Goddess that is not going to happen unless I can block you when…that…happens to come up.”

Kahl laughed in response. “He’s still by your wagon.”

“Thanks.” He grumbled and broke into a trot to go back to Strong and report.

“Lad?” Strong said to him as he reached him.

“Hey. I talked to Gemmed and she has no intention to lie to the Princesses.” Nix said to him.

“That’s good ta hear. Ah always figured she was a good girl.” Strong replied with a nod. “You gonna be okay to pull today? Ah am happy to take yer place if ya want to rest some more.”

“Nah. I’m okay. I bounce back pretty fast.” Nix said to him and flexed one foreleg to show off.

“Ah’m sure ya do. Ah remember ya first coming to us and ya were down fer a couple of months.” He jabbed back at the Unicorn.

“That was…different.” He defended and tried to look defensive as a smile tugged at his mouth.

“Get yerself ready then. Don’t tie the traces so tight. Yer gonna rub yer skin raw.” The blacksmith advised.

“Got it.” He replied and looked to the leather traces and stepped into them once more.

The Unicorn got into the traces and left them loose as he had been told and waited for the others to call out to him to go ahead. He didn’t need to break the trail any longer so he could now walk fast and be able to stay ahead of the others.

“At least you do not have to worry about lies getting to the ears of the Princesses.” Kahl said to him.

“Thank Equestria for that.” Nix replied. “That would have been hard to fight against. Two of them saying the same thing makes me look like a liar.”

“Agreed. While you could have fought it. It would have taken time and they would have needed to speak to the others as well. The fact that you went into the village to save ponies adds credence to what you say. It goes to show that you were there the longest.” Kahl added.

“Yeah, but still. It floors me that he wanted us to lie about you.”

“Don’t remind me.” Kahl snarled. “If I had my own body I would have broken a personal rule and eaten him.”

Nix laughed out loud as Kahl spoke. “Not just roasted him alive?”

“Oh there would have been fire. But that would not be what killed him.” Kahl replied and Nix cringed as he chuckled at the dragon’s vehemence.

“Don’t have a taste for a pony?”

“Gods no. I’m not the type to pick on the weak.” Kahl replied.

“Not that weak!” Nix countered. “But considering that you rule over Fire then maybe we are pretty weak.”

“Exactly.” Kahl responded with a chuckle.

“Celestia controls the sun so that would have hurt you.” Nix replied.

“Not really.”

“Huh?”

“What do you think the sun is made of?”

Nix was quiet as he recalled his science classes. “A ball of gases and…oh…fire.”

“Precisely. So she would have been giving me a solid win.” Kahl replied with a confident sneer.

Nix went quiet at the sound of hooves coming closer to him. He fought back a cringe as Gemmed drew up next to him. “Hey.” He smiled at her as she stood beside him.

“Hey, Nix. Can I walk with you?”

He was about to say no when he saw the saddened look on her face. “Hey? What's up?”

“It’s daddy.” She replied.

“What happened?”

“Ho ahead Nix!” Strong shouted to him.

“Right!” He shouted back and began to walk quickly forward. “Walk and talk?” He said to her with a small smile.

“He’s telling me that you’re going to try to tell the Princesses that you saved everypony and that you want to be Mayor and I…what? Why are you laughing?”

“I’m sorry. I’m not laughing at you I promise.” He said to her as he laughed. “Okay, I’m good. I never want to be Mayor of anywhere. The idea is frightening. I didn’t save everypony. I saved a bunch sure but not everypony. I wish I could have but I couldn’t.” He said to her. “I wasn’t able to save a lot of them.”

“You did save a bunch of ponies.” She said to him.

“Yeah but not all. To say I did is a bold-faced lie.” He replied to her. “I will tell them exactly what I saw and nothing less than that. I don’t want to be Mayor or anything like that. He’s just trying to confuse and upset you. I’m sorry if I put you in the middle of his fight.”

“Fight?”

“He is not a big fan of Strong or me.” He said to her.

“Why not? You’ve always helped anypony that asks.”

“Yeah, but I have never been a fan of him being in charge. I know that he has done some good things but at the same time, he kept trying to turn the village into something it isn’t. It’s not a city, just a little town where the ponies all know each other and have known each other for generations. I didn’t grow up there and I was saved by the ponies that lived there two years ago. Shit, you’ve been there longer than me.” He said to her with a laugh and she smiled at him.

“I never thought about what he was trying to do. I just did as I was asked and tried to help the others as well. Everypony was so kind when we came to the village.” Gemmed said to him.

“Exactly. That’s how they have always been. None of them would ever have thrown you or me out despite us being new to the village. They always wanted to know if they could help us out or what they could give. They never wanted anything in return. I was in bad shape when I came to them and they helped and didn’t allow me to even ask about paying them back.”

“I remember when you came to the village. I wasn’t allowed near you until you were able to walk again. What happened?”

Nix shook his head. “Sorry, Gemmed. I don’t really talk about it. I’m sorry.” He said to her.

“It’s okay. Thanks for talking to me.” She said to him.

“You gonna be okay?” He asked her as she turned away from him.

The mare came back to his side and he waited as he finally nodded to him. “I am now. Thanks. Can I stay up here with you? Maybe this way my dad will keep his opinions to himself.”

“Or make it worse.” He chuckled to her.

“Maybe. But at least you’re honest.”

“I try to be.” He said to her.

They lapsed into silence as they both looked to the city that stood on the side of the mountain ahead of them.

Author's Note:

Okay here is another chapter of Thunders story. So far I am liking it and he is pretty pleased with it so far. I'm working on the timeline for when he appears in the world so bear with me while I iron that out with my roomie. As always thank you for reading and Enjoy!