• Published 16th Mar 2019
  • 1,690 Views, 55 Comments

A Pact to Live - OblivionShadow



A battle between dragons ends with a village in ruins and one ponies life changed forever. Phoenix is now on very close terms with an Ancient Dragon. It is the beginning of a tale all their own.

  • ...
2
 55
 1,690

5: Tests and Choices...

“You must be kidding.” Nix cursed as he regarded the piles of work in front of him.

“Well…You wished for work of your own.” Kahl replied.

“Yeah, but I didn’t think it would involve a continent of crap that I have to hunt through.” He replied.

The midnight blue Unicorn regarded the piles of paperwork in front of him with wide eyes. In front of him were tables of projects that had been left alone after their creators had been unable to finish them. Nix walked carefully up to the first table and looked down at the label on it.

“Perpetual motion and its magical application.” He read aloud and looked away for a moment. “That’s not up my alley.” He replied.

“Agreed. That’s not in either of our skill ranges.” Kahl agreed and the Unicorn moved to the next table. “It is convenient for her to allow you to choose the projects you wish to tackle.”

“Yeah. But holy Goddess.” He replied and looked at the next table. “Ooohhh. Here we go. Magical amplification and the use of metals.”

Kahl said nothing in reply and Nix tilted his head. “Use of metals? What in the Flames does that have in common?”

“I’m not sure. But it’s better than perpetual motion.” He replied and marked an X on the paper to signal that he wanted that project. He moved forward and to the next table. “Here we go. The Elements and magical application.”

“Pick that one.” Kahl replied, his interest in the projects restored.

Nix added an X to the paper and moved on. His hooves carried him around the room and he read the papers as he walked. The marker in his mouth made sure that he did not talk to the dragon aloud. As he moved through the tables Kahl read through them as well.

“Nix. Table with tomes on your right.” The dragon called out.

“Got it.”

The Unicorn veered off to the direction the dragon called for and paused in front of the table. Compared to the others it had the least amount of materials. The Unicorn looked at the paper. “Gemstone Blood Rituals. Can gemstone replace body?” He looked around as he read it aloud through the pen in his teeth and he paused. “What the shit?!”

“Easy. I have heard of this before. It was a very long time ago. Who was the original researcher?”

“Umm…Hang on.” He replied and pushed the papers back as he searched for the origin papers. “Starswirl… Okay, yeah we’re taking this one.” He replied and marked the paper as he walked away from it.

“That was quick considering your initial reaction.” Kahl said o him.

“It’s a paper done by the Starswirl the Bearded. Like hell, I’m gonna leave it here to gather dust. Hell no.” He replied.

“Interesting.” Kahl replied and seemed content enough with the Unicorns reply.

Nix moved through the rest of the room and chose several more as he walked. He was distracted by the tomes on the last table and did not see the Sun Princess walk into the room and begin to scan the papers to see his choices.

“Nix.” She called out from the front of the room.

“Ahhh!” He yelled at her voice and dropped the book in his hooves. He still could not use his magic and it thudded to the ground in front of him.

“My apologies. I thought you heard her.” Kahl quickly spoke to him as the Unicorn put a hoof over his chest and panted.

“There you are.” She replied and began to walk toward him.

“Geez.” He whispered and picked up the book to set it back in place and then write an X on the paper as well. “Yeah, back here.”

“I am sorry to have startled you.” She said to him and he nodded to her. “I see you have found many projects to entertain you.”

“Yeah. Quite a few actually.” He replied and nodded at her observation. “Who the hell left most of this behind? Some of them are cutting edge and could be used today.”

“Their original creators either passed on or were taken to other ideas. Some, unfortunately, could not be figured out with the knowledge they had at the time.” She explained. “I can see that you found one in particular.”

“The one by Starswirl?” He said as he looked to her.

“How do you know that’s the one I meant?” She teased.

“You’re not that hard to read, Princess. Plus, it’s the most controversial in the group.” He reasoned to her and she laughed as he spoke.

“Indeed. At the time it was put aside due to the lack of materials. I tried to figure it out but was unable to get it to work in practical application.” She replied to him.

“It cool if I take it then?” He asked her.

“Of course. I would not have had it removed from archives if I wished it to be ignored. It is all yours. If you have finished I would like to discuss some remaining details.” She said to him and motioned to the front of the room.

“Sure. I’m done.” He replied and nodded in understanding.

“Thank you.”

He set the pen down in the table and followed her out of the room toward a conference room. He walked in to find several ponies already in the room and he balked slightly at the door. A tap to his shoulder from the Princess got him to walk into the room. He sat down in a chair facing the door just in case he needed to run and waited as the Princess closed the door and sat down as well.

“Thank you for taking those Nix. It allows my sister and myself to see what will come of them and you are certainly skilled enough to take them over with your magic.” She said to him.

“Thanks.” He replied and smiled at her.

“Now we will need to discuss your fee and your home in Ponyville.” She went on. “So what do you feel is a fair fee for your time and effort?”

“Ummm…Let me think for a sec.” He said and she nodded. “Kahl?”

“She is technically getting the work of both of us so she is already getting two for one.” He joked and Nix had to hide a smile at the dragons reply. “I do not know the currency that is used by ponies so I am at a disadvantage.” He replied.

“I am not sure, to be honest. I’ve never sold my skills in research before.” He replied to her honestly.

"Well, we have paid experts to look over a few of those projects that you have chosen and many were unable to find any answers despite having no deadlines.” She replied to him. “So I am more than happy to say that I have seen your researching skills and magical aptitude before and I am certain that you can succeed where they have not.” She said and looked to the other ponies in the room. “So I propose that you take over their fee and their notes as well.”

“Are you certain?” Nix asked her. “I’m untested technically.”

“Were you not the one that outdid Twilight Sparkle in the practical applications test for entrance to the advanced courses of my school?” She asked him.

The ponies turned to stare at her as he rubbed the back of his neck at her reply. “I did…yes, that’s true.”

“Princess Celestia.” An older pony looked to the princess and then to the Unicorn stallion and back to her once more. “As you said he was better than Miss Sparkle at the beginning but he has not finished the classes and is therefore inferior to her.”

“What?” He yelped and stood up. “I am not inferior to anypony. Give me a test now and see how your words taste when I stuff them down your throat.” He snarled.

The ponies stared at him as he sat back down and glared openly at them. Celestia hid a smile behind her hoof and looked to the Unicorn stallion. “Calm down Nix. I am aware of your abilities but they may need some convincing.”

“You are an idiot.” Kahl snapped at him. “We can’t use magic.”

Nix’s eyes widened a bit and he closed his eyes as he realized the dragon was right. “Oh shit…I just killed us.”

“No. But you have certainly made things more difficult. I will do what I can to pull my power back and hopefully you can act fast enough to solve whatever they put in front of you.” Kahl said to him, aggravation in his voice.

“Sorry.” He whispered to the dragon.

“Nix? Will that be all right?” Celestia said to him.

He looked up and regarded her and a smile went over his mouth. “Can you go over it again so I can make sure I heard everything right? If you don’t mind?” He replied to her and she nodded kindly too him.

“Of course. I will bring a puzzle to you and your job will be to solve it and explain if needed. If you are able to use your magic to show how the answer is achieved as you do it then that would, of course, be preferred.” She repeated.

“Sounds like a plan.” He replied and sat back in his chair as her aura shone over her horn and a small box appeared in front of him.

“Kahl?”

“Go.” The dragon replied.

“Okay.” He whispered and his horn lit as his blue aura went over it.

The Unicorns magic picked up the box and it opened to reveal a set of metal parts and joints in the box. He stared at it as the parts began to hover around him as he looked them over. He set the original box down and looked at the parts in his magic as he began to move them along each other, he waited for the moment to begin to put them together. His magic covered them and he was getting a picture in his mind of how they would fit together and he began to move them and click them into place. His magic flowed easily and he watched as the pieces went into place. He finished and was left with a box that was in four sections. Each corner was disjointed from the others and he stared at it as Celestia hid a smile behind a hoof.

“That’s not the end is it?” He asked of her and she didn’t say anything and he looked back to the box and a small black gem sat in the center of the box and his magic pulled it out as well.

He stood up and stepped away from the chair and kicked it out of the way as he regarded the box and gem in his magic. He stared as his eyes were drawn to the older pony as he checked a watch and the Unicorn nearly yelled at him for trying to rush him but he paused and stared at the watch for a moment. “That’s it.” He whispered aloud as his focus went back to the gemstone.

He set the box aside in his magic and focused his eyes on the gemstone. He set his hooves and began to pull more of his magic into his horn and he heard a faint warning from Kahl and lowered his pull. He closed his eyes as sparks of flame began to come from his horn as he reached out to the gemstone and began to fill it with his own magical essence. He was careful not to drain it and leave plenty to make sure that Kahl’s power was let out. He slowed his push and began to slowly siphon into the gemstone and waited till he was sure that there was enough to allow him to reclaim it afterward. His magic fell into the gem now that he had altered the internal structure of the stone to hold a bit of his power for a short amount of time.

“Now!” Kahl yelled to him.

Nix’s eyes opened and he cut off the magic supply to the gem and swept the box around it and the connected the gems biological structure to the box and he set tendrils of magic to hold the gem inside the box and keep the magic contained for a short amount of time. A loud click went out as his magic pushed the box together and it clicked together and he watched as it thudded to the desk now that his magic had cut out. They startled at the thud and he chuckled nervously.

“Oops. Sorry didn’t mean to drop it.” He said aloud and reached out to hold it gently and carefully touched it with his other hoof. “It’s temporary, does that matter?”

“No. That was amazing Nix.” Celestia said to him.

“Not really. I’m pretty sure anypony can do it.” He replied and set it down.

“That task was set out to the graduating students to accomplish to graduate with honors.” She replied to him and he nodded. “Only three were able to complete it in good time. Many others had to redo the classes that touched on the task you just completed with five years off and no formal training.”

“I just got set up again didn’t I?” He replied and she nodded.

“A little perhaps. What made you chose to complete the box first?” She asked.

“I didn’t actually see the gem till I finished the box.” He admitted.

“Thank you for your honesty.” She replied with a warm laugh. “Though your decision to create a vessel from the gem is not what needed in the test was.”

“What?” He replied, his eyes wide as he sat down, the box spinning in his hooves on the table. “What do you mean it was not needed?”

“You simply needed to attach the gem to the boxes interior and have it click close with enough magical force.” She explained.

“Oh buck me.” He replied to her and sat heavily back in his chair.

“What made you choose to contain magic inside it?” She pressed.

“I was about to yell at him for timing me but when I looked at his watch the project from the other room hit me and I figured it was worth a shot.”

“Which one?” She asked him.

“The one looking into storing magical essence.” He explained. “I figured that if I set this little stone to hold a small amount of magic without breaking right away then I could start out on that project using larger vessels than tiny stones. If not then I could rebuild the little stone, if it failed to hold what I wanted, and just get it to stay in the box.” He explained to her.

“How did you get it to not break?” She asked him further.

“I sent a small spell into the gem to strengthen it and buffer the stones biology a bit. It’s really temporary and it…” He stopped as a slight cracking sound went out. “Just broke.” He said and the box opened to reveal the shattered piece and Nix’s horn lit to retrieve the magic from the pieces.

“And to retrieve the magic? It should have been released into the air.” She reasoned to him.

“Secondary spell.” He replied and shoved the opened box and the broken gem to the side. “It allows me to retrieve my magic without any backlash that happens with a simple release of magic into the air.”

Celestia looked to the wide eyes ponies with her and the oldest cleared his throat and signed the document in front of him. “Approved.”

Nix was quiet as he looked to hem and the others signed it as well. In his mind, he could hear Kahl chuckling quietly and he managed a smile as the document was set in front of the Princess.

“Well done Phoenix. Without any classes and courses in advanced magic, you have passed the final exam and even added to it. Well done and congratulations on your immediate graduation.” She said to him and signed the documents in front of her.

She slid one toward him and he stared at the certificate of graduation in front of him. The other ponies left the room and left him with the Sun Princess. He stared at the paper as it stared back at him. Celestia looked to him and she seemed puzzled at the lack of response from him.

“Phoenix?” She spoke his name and he flicked his ears to her. “Are you all right?”

“Yeah. Just…Stunned I guess.” He replied, his voice quiet.

“You have done well and I am impressed at the skill you have used. You have grown into a skilled stallion and a strong pony.” She said to him. “I know you do not wish to speak with them but I am sure they would be proud.” She whispered to him.

“Yeah. Probably. But at the same time, they would want to start planning everything for me again. I’m twenty and they’d act like I was ten.”

“You were fifteen when this happened before. Are you certain that...?”

“No.” He said to her with finality. “If you want you can send this to them, but I do not want their interference in my life. They ruled the first part of it, it’s my turn to rule the next part.”

The Princess nodded and her magic covered the graduation certificate. Her magic sent it away from them and she regarded him once more. “So I spoke to the ponies of Everstone and they asked that I give you a couple of gifts.”

He sighed and sat back in his chair once more. “They don’t owe me anything.”

“They know. I told them what you had said and this is a gift, not a payment. You were right that they do not wish to rebuild on the same site. They said that there was too much sadness there and they wanted to start over.” She said to him as two wrapped gifts appeared in front of him. One was long and slim and he pulled it close and looked at the note on it.

“Nix. You were the son we didn’t have and the best of us. Love Star and Melody.” He whispered and his throat closed up as he looked away and pushed it back from him.

“Nix?” Kahl’s voice reached out to him.

“They were the ones I lived with. They saved me that night.” He replied quietly.

Kahl said nothing in reply, but Nix could feel warmth go over him as he slowly pulled the box back to him and opened it. He ignored the tears in his eyes and pulled the paper away to reveal a new sword in its scabbard. He had broken the one that he had when they found him and lost the new one in the fight with the dragons. The scabbard was ornamented and small gemstones glittered back at him as he reached out to it to hold it on his hooves. The sword was light and the belt was soft leather. He pulled the blade out an inch or so and a great sapphire gem stared out at him. He could see himself on the jewel and he stared at it. He rolled the blade over and the gem was large enough to go through the thick blade and stared at him from the other side. A second note fell from the box and he reached down to pick it up from the floor.

“Nix: The old folks asked that Ah get this made fer ya. They wanted ta give ya the chance to leave us and go back out into the world. They wanted ya ta be safe and always have something ta remember them by. Melody insisted on a sapphire since she said ya would understand the meaning behind it. Star made sure that the blade would fit ya by saying that he needed to measure yer hip to make a shirt fer ya. (I can’t believe ya feel for that lie lad, but ya did.) So here is their gift to ya. Ya earned yer freedom from us a long time ago, but yer a stubborn one and refused ta leave us. Now that things have happened, Ah admit that I’m glad ya hung on like the stubborn lad ya are. All o’ us owe ya our lives. Be safe and live yer life, lad. I’ll leave ya ta name her and keep her close. Best Regards, Strong Hoof and the town of Overstone.”

Nix set the note aside and looked away from the Princess who had looked away from him to give him privacy as he tried not to cry in front of her. He held the sword close to him and cried silently over the gifted blade. He slid the weapon back into the scabbard and set it on the table as he wiped his tears from his face and regarded the second box. This one was much smaller and measured close to a foot in length but was only five or six inches wide. He opened it slowly and tissue paper obscured his eyes and he gently pushed it aside to reveal a written check in his name. His eyes scanned the check and he looked back to the Sun Princess who had a kind smile on her ageless face.

“What…Is this?” He asked her, his voice quiet.

“They asked that a bit of the money from their settlement go to you. I told them that I was sure you would take nothing for yourself and they smiled and said that they knew that you would give anything for them. They wanted to give you something from them. You can argue all you want but they were insistent.” She held up a hoof as he began to argue. “Most of them are rebuilding closer to the main cities but not close to Ponyville.”

“They don’t…”

“They know. But they didn’t want to leave you with anything less. I did explain that I would be paying you to do research and development for me, but they were firm.” She said to him, her voice quiet.

Nix gripped the check and pulled it slowly from the box and regarded it as he turned it over in his hooves. His eyes widened at the number on it and he looked to her. “This has to be wrong…”

“It’s not, I assure you. Strong Hoof will be taking over leading them and he wished to give you more and so did many of them, Gemmed included. You should say goodbye to her before they leave. She seemed upset that you were not going to be staying with them.” She replied.

He nodded and set the check on the table with the gifted weapon and sat back. “Why would they give me so much when they need it more?”

“They wanted you to be able to travel and do what you wanted to. No matter what that was they wanted you to be able to live as you wanted. They said that you were always there for anypony and never asked for anything in return. You gave two years to them and they loved every moment with you. But they said that you deserved to be able to LIVE and do whatever you want in life.” She explained gently to him. “You never asked them to give you a break and you ran yourself into the ground on their behalf. Those that saw you run into the flames were afraid to follow you. You did not hesitate to save everypony you found. Foals will live to see the days that follow because of your courage.” She said to him.

“I don’t...What do I say to them?” He said to her.

“I don’t think you need to say anything, Phoenix.” She replied.

“She is right.” Kahl said to him, the dragon’s voice seemed to echo through him.

The midnight blue Unicorn was quiet as he looked at her and nodded. “Okay. I’ll talk to them before I go to Ponyville.” He said to her.

“Don’t ask them to undo this, Phoenix.” She said to him. “They love you and want you to thrive. Accept this in the way that they accepted you.”

His eyes widened and he turned to look at the door. “She is right, Nix.” Kahl said to him and he raised his head as the dragon went on. “You gave them their lives and they wish to reward that with a meaningful gift of their own. They are not trying to pay you for what you gave them. They are wishing to see you go into the world and love the life that you seek to live on your own. They want you to love your life and live it as if this day is your last.”

Nix trembled as Kahl’s words echoed in his mind and he closed his eyes. “Okay.” He whispered aloud. “I still want to see them off.”

“They will be thrilled to see you. I will prepare your projects for your departure and ensure that the house I asked for is available to you to use. Please take your time with them. Any guard will take you to them.”

“Thank you.” He said back to her. He reached back and gripped the weapon and buckled it to his hip and looked at the check on the table. “Can you deposit it for me? Or do I need to wait till I get to Ponyville?”

“I will tend to it. I will need to set up the deposits for your fee as well.” She said and reached out to hug him close. “You did them proud and they will not forget you.” She said to him.

He startled and wrapped a foreleg around her to hug her back. “Thank you.” He said to her as she let him go.

The Unicorn ran out of the room and down the hallway. He slid to a halt and looked for a guard close by. The glint of armor caught his attention and he trotted over and tapped the white stallion on the shoulder. “Excuse me? Could you help me find…” His eyes widened as familiar pony turned to him. “Oh shit.” He cursed and tried to flee in the face of Twilight’s elder brother, Shining Armor.

“Hold up.” A hoof gripped the belt around his body and he groaned as he was pulled back. “I know you?”

“No. My mistake. I mistook you for another pony, my fault. Sorry, Bye.” He yelped and tried to pull away, only to be dragged back.

“No. I do know you.” Shining Armor said to him and circled around to face the dark blue Unicorn. “Arisen Phoenix?”

“Hi, Shining Armor. How goes it? Been a while.” He asked his voice tense.

“You’re the one that got Twily into trouble for a messed up experiment.” The older stallion said aloud.

Nix stood up and found that he was just a bit taller than the older pony and he had to fight not to grin like an idiot about it. “Yeah. Okay, can you just beat me up so I can go? I have other places to be.”

“I can’t beat you up. I’m the Captain of the Royal Guard.” The white stallion replied, pointedly.

“Oh. Wow. Well done. And for the record, my dad was the one who was mad about the mistake in science. Aside from a hurt nose, the orange coat didn’t bother me. My parents were the ones that were pissed.” He replied and the white pony looked surprised at the praise and clear explanation. “Look I need to talk to the ponies that are from Everstone.”

“Why? Wait. Are you the one that brought them all here?”

“Yes.” Nix admitted. “So I’m in a rush to say goodbye.” He replied and tried to get around the other stallion.

“Hold up.” The Captain replied and Nix gave a loud groan. “I can take you to them.”

Nix looked back, his eyes uncertain. “Really?”

“Yeah. You’re the one that was running into burning houses for them?”

“Maybe?” Nix replied.

“Come on.”

Nix looked back as the stallion led him down the hallway and he quickened his pace to keep at the Captains hip. As they weaved through the hallways Nix looked around him and watched in an attempt to find his own way around next time. Shining Armor led him out to the courtyard and he was glad to see the town ponies still there and he patted Shining on the shoulder as he trotted past him. “Thanks!” He yelped and galloped away from him.

“Your welcome.” Shining replied and turned to go back to his post.

“Strong!” Nix yelled and the blacksmith turned to look at him, a wide smile crossing his muzzle.

“Lad!” He shouted and trotted to meet the excited pony.

“I’m glad I made it before you all left.” He said to him as he hugged him.

“Not without sayin’ goodbye to ya. Ya got yer gifts then?” He said and looked to the sword now at Nix’s hip.

“Yeah. I did. Thanks for saving it from the fires.” Nix said to him.

“Had ta. No way was Ah gonna lose it.” He replied with a hearty laugh. “Melody woulda tanned mah hide.”

“No doubt.” Nix nodded in agreement. “So you’re all going to build somewhere closer to other ponies?”

“Yup. Figured this was safer. Everypony just wants to start over and try to move forward. Ya do the same. Ya hear?” Strong said to him, his voice firm.

“I know. I have. I’m gonna work on research and development and other projects.” He replied.

“Tha’ Princess mentioned that and Ah’m glad ta hear ya sound happy about it.”

“Yeah. I always liked it so I figured I might as well go for it.”

“Good lad.” He replied and clapped the midnight Unicorn on the shoulder. “Ya better say goodbye to the others afore we head out.” He said and pointed back behind him.

“Thanks.” Nix said and moved past him to the others.

Nix moved among the others and hugged as many as he could before they began to ready to leave. He stepped back and watched as they looked to their own wagons and supplies. “On your right.” Kahl said to him and he looked to find Gemmed slowly coming over to him. He trotted to her and wrapped his forelegs around her.

“You’re going to leave us?” She said as she sat down and hugged him tightly to her.

“Yeah. I’m glad that you’re going with them, though.” He said to her.

“Why?”

“You’ll help them. You can protect them now.” He said to her.

“But I’m not you.” She replied.

“I would hope not. That would be weird.” He laughed and she released him to look back at him. “You’re different from me and that’s good. You can help them in other ways. I don’t mean for you to chase away monsters and stuff like that. But you’re smart and clever. You can help them with other things that I know nothing about. I know some politics but you could run circles around me.” He praised her and she smiled a little at his words. “It’s your turn to shine.”

She smiled and he pulled her to her hooves as Strong hollered for her to hurry up and join them. He tipped his horn to the wagons and she threw her forelegs around him one last time before running to catch up with them. Nix waved them goodbye and watched as they vanished out the main gates. He sat down and stared at where they had been for several minutes before he looked to the ground and was still.

“You did everything for them and they will not forget that. Just as you will not forget them.” Kahl whispered to him. “You gave them the greatest of gifts.”

“Which was?”

“A future.” Kahl said to him.

Nix was quiet as Kahl’s words went over him and a smile slowly came to his muzzle. He stood up and brushed himself off as a bellowed shout earned his attention.

“ARISEN PHOENIX!”

He looked up as Princess Luna bellowed his name. A groan pulled from him and he broke into a trot to reach her. “Princess Luna?”

“We are to tell thee that the arrangements for your accommodations have been made and we will now join my sister for lunch.” She said to him and spun to lead him back into the castle.

“Great.” He forced a smile onto his mouth and followed her inside.

Author's Note:

Here we go. Next chapter is in the works and Thunder is really coming around and is starting to really enjoy writing again. He thanks everyone for reading it dor supporting my writing as well. But here we go with the next part of this story. So far its a blast to work on and I am glad it's getting good reviews! As always thank you and Enjoy!