• Published 5th Mar 2019
  • 540 Views, 95 Comments

The Carnivore Council - CreativeOverflow



As the Everfree forest is cleared to make room for another new pony settlement, the current guardians of the forest are driven to confront their growing hunger.

  • ...
4
 95
 540

Chapter 7

"See, I told you. No horns, no wings, nothing."

"Doesn't look big and strong either."

"Colourful though, like a flower"

"Do you think it can shoot magic from its eyes instead?"

Remedy's ear twitched in irritation.

"I still think it's a fat deer"

"It ain't a deer. Have you ever seen a deer that colour?"

Remedy growled at her interrupted slumber. "I'm a pony, and ponies are normally still asleep."

A single bloodshot eye cracked open and swiveled to glare at the two nosy pups.

"You two!" came a sharp bark from behind, "What have I told you about bothering her. Do you want me to tell your mother?"

The two pups crouched behind Remedy like a barricade and glanced over at the source of their rebuke.

"Eeek. The white witch, quick run!" The pair squealed with laughter and bolted off down the hill.

Remedy blinked her eyes open and wearily stood up. The white wolf she had seen earlier was trotting over. Pretty though she was, Remedy couldn't help but feel a little cautious.

"I'm so sorry. Remedy isn't it?" said the wolf in a friendly voice, slowing to a cautious approach as she neared, "I'm afraid those two little brats have a lot to learn about common courtesy."

Remedy smiled weakly, timidly stretching her sore joints. "It's alright, I'm up now anyway. You guys sure do start early."

"Sorry for waking you, we're normally up before dawn. My name is Kerena by the way."

"Nice to meet you, I suppose considering the circumstances" Remedy conceded.

Kerena had to step to the side as another wolf stepped out from the den. He was humming a merry tune and carrying in his jaws the remains of last night's dinner. The leg was cleanly severed at the hock had been stripped clean of nearly all the meat but it was still tinctured pink and still had a few scraps of sinuous red meat and dark black fur and skin that clung to the delicate bones around the foot and cloven hoof.

Remedy stifled a shriek and turned away dry-heaving.

Kerena gave an annoyed whine at the careless wolf. He stopped, unsure of the problem. Kerena made a desperate nod towards the convulsing mare. He looked at Remedy then back at Kerena. Kerena growled at him and pointed her head back towards the den.

Like the ineffable movement of tectonic plates that shape continents, his eyes widened as realisation dawned like an ancient sunrise. His face now betrayed considerable embarrassment. The witless wolf quickly retreated back into the den.

Kerena groaned and shook her head. She turned back to Remedy who was still suffering an occasional but abating violent shudder and winced.

"I'm so sorry about that. This is not a usual situation for us either, and some are not quite as... astute as others"

Remedy swallowed, but her mouth was dry. "I'll be fine. It's just... where's Faolan? Isn't he supposed to be protecting me?"

Kerena dipped her head and gave an apologetic smile. "It must have been a hard day for you. Go easy on Faolan, he does mean well."

"We can talk forgiveness when I'm home safe"

Kerena frowned at Remedy's prickly demeanour. This was not how she hoped this first conversation would go. She made a mental note to herself to give that stupid wolf a lesson on common courtesy. It seemed the pups weren't the only ones in need of guidance.

Kerena shook away the depressing thoughts and put on her most affable smile. She pointed down the hill to a cluster of wolves all circled around. "Down there, in the middle of that pack. He's discussing some last minute preparations regarding tonight's summit. I hope I can offer some company in the meantime if it doesn't bother you."

Remedy took a moment to size her up. Kerena was only slightly smaller than Faolan, but her coat was a pristine unblemished white. "Well, you're a wolf, but then again you are also the first wolf I've met that hasn't attacked me. So I guess that counts for something. If you can keep that track record it will earn you some pretty big bonus points."

Kerena chuckled, "Well I'm honoured to exceed your expectations, and shall do my very best to continue doing so."

Remedy shook her head to chase away the lingering dark thoughts and took a deep breath. The brisk morning air was clean and fresh, and carried with it the complex and multi-layered fragrances of the forest. She felt her spirits lift for the first time in quite a while, even if only marginally.

Remedy sat and watched the considerable hubbub of activity around her. Everywhere wolves were running in and out of the heavy tree line. They would run up to the cluster in the middle, speak, then with fresh orders from Faolan, duck back out again. Faolan looked in his element. Processing each new piece of information and transforming it into new instructions with practiced ease.

"So what is this business with the council summit anyway?" Remedy asked suddenly, "It seems like a pretty big shindig 'round here."

She secretly hoped conversation would be a suitable distraction from the morning's previous unpleasantness.

"It is quite the event, yes. The council only meets once every couple of decades." said Kerena.

"And who's in this council then? Is it only wolves?"

Kerena sat down her back straight and held her high and proper. It reminded Remedy of her old school mistress and she had to stifle a chuckle.

"The Council of Carnivores is made up of members of the five Everfree Carnivore Tribes. The Canines, Felines, Reptiles, Raptors and Arachnids. Each tribe is led by a spirit guardian."

"Whoa, slow down there - spirit guardian?" Remedy interrupted.

Kerena cocked her head. "Yes? - Like your Celestia."

"Princess Celestia?" said Remedy with no small measure of skepticism. "Our beloved leader sure, but 'spirit guardian'?"

"Well 'Princess' is a self-assumed title. But a title does not grant you immortality, nor the power she wields. Surely you knew? She claims dominion over the sun and moon, doesn't she?" Kerena raised an eyebrow, surprised at Remedies own doubt.

"The only 'spirit' I know of is Discord, and he's a statue in a garden"

"Discord is another. The now imprisoned Spirit of Chaos. Though we would never claim him as a guardian"

"And you say each of the carnivore tribes has their own 'Princess' for lack of a better term."

Kerena stifled her own giggle. "I suppose you could say that. Though some may take offense at that title. The carnivore spirits don't wield the same magics as Celestia. Your race has a strong affinity with magic and so Celestia also embodies that strong magical affinity. Our races are based on physicality, so though our leaders possess some magic, they are more so exceptional examples of our own physical prowess."

"Way to toot your own horn there." Remedy smirked at the proud expression on Kerena's face, "though that also sounds quite foreboding..."

Kerena laughed, "I guess it might. But don't worry, they're not active hunters. Unless some prey is silly enough to walk into their homes. Faolan said you've met Aleena already?"

Remedy shuddered at the thought, "that was horrifying. I will never look at spiders the same way again. You sure know a lot about this stuff. We certainly weren't taught any of this in school."

"I am a disciple of Ulrica, the Great Wolf Spirit, Bastion of Family and Teamwork. That involves a lot of learning about the world that was and is. To be honest though, we don't learn a lot about ponies either."

"Makes sense I suppose," Remedy conceded, "since our paths don't normally cross. Not pleasantly anyway."

“Good morning. Feeling better?” said Faolan, he had finished with his morning duties and had wandered up the hill to join them.

Remedy took a few experimental steps.

“Well the leg is pretty good.”

Her stomach growled rudely, reminding her she hadn’t eaten since breakfast the day before. A slight blush tinged her cheeks. “I could do with some breakfast though, but I’m not sure I’d like the menu here.”

“There’s another glade not far from here,” offered Faolan, “I’m sure you can find something to your liking there.”

Kerena nodded in agreement, “I’ll take my leave too. I still have some preparations for tonight. It was nice talking to you Remedy.”

Remedy smiled and nodded. Kerena returned the smile with a shallow bow, and then treated Foalan to his own coy smile before walking away.

Faolan lead Remedy down a short path away from the den. The two walked quietly for a while until Remedy noticed a very self-assured grin was persistently plastered over Faolan's face, and it irked her.

“What are you grinning about?” she accused suspiciously.

“Oh nothing much,” he shrugged casually. “It’s just that if I didn’t know better, seeing you talk with Kerena, I might have been mistaken into thinking you were starting to act reasonable.”

Remedy gave a short offended whinny. “Oh don’t get me wrong. I still think you’re all a bunch of murdering psychopaths. However that doesn’t mean I need to be rude about it.”

“Well even psychopaths have feelings, so it’s nice to see you’re not bucking every creature you meet.” Faolan teased. His efforts immediately earned him a swift punch in the shoulder.

“That’s reserved for you and anyone else that tries to eat me.” Remedy scolded.

Foalan pouted with mock hurt, “What, I’d never... such accusations. The thought never crossed my mind. Although, I did wonder if you tasted like strawberries.”

Remedy swung another hoof at him, harder this time. “That’s not funny.”

Foalan was prepared this time and easily dodged sideways out of the way laughing. “Whoa easy there, you almost hit me. Seriously, if you had a better set of teeth on you, I’d think YOU were the dangerous one.”

Remedy glared, but before she could respond the path turned a sharp corner and opened into a grassy clearing. The early morning sun was just peaking over the treetops. It bathed the glade in its warmth, and the slowly evaporating dew twinkled like tiny stars. All throughout, a lush variety of flowering plants and fruit bearing trees grew, constantly attended by butterflies and bees that flitted from stem to brightly coloured stem. Remedy gasped. “This is beautiful. I’ve never seen so much variety in one place.”

“It used to be a very common feeding ground for a lot of the animals before they went away.”

“Before you killed them you mean?” Remedy said soberly, still looking over the lush expanse.

“Some, yes,” admitted Faolan, “but most left the forest alive and well.”

Remedy wandered over to a small clump of flowers, inhaling their fragrance deeply. She quickly bit off a few stems and chewed them gratefully. “I haven’t eaten food raw since I was a filly, it tastes so sweet. You should try some.”

Faolan chuckled, but held up a restraining paw. “No thanks, grass makes me sick”

“Not even some flowers? They’re lovely and fragrant?” Remedy pressed.

“You certainly are a voracious eater, but no thank you.” he declined.

Remedy scanned the clearing, “Oooh!” She bounded over to a large apple tree burdened by heavy ripe fruit and stood on her hind legs to inspect the fruit closer. She looked over her shoulder at Faolan, “surely you can’t say no to a delicious apple?”

“Good luck. It’s rare to find a fresh one on the ground, and I don’t know about you, but I’m not built for climbing.”

Remedy lent her back against the tree amused, her forelegs crossed confidently in front. “Is that so?”

She dropped forward onto all fours then with a hop, raised her hind legs and struck the tree with a mighty blow. The trunk shifted from the impact and it’s boughs trembled. With a satisfying snap, three apples fell from their branches along with a dozen leaves.

Remedy lent down to pick up the fruit, flicking her mane from her face as she stood back up. She turned to a slack jawed Foalan staring in amazement and an unbearably smug grin crawled onto her face.

Faolan coughed and restored his composure. “Eh-hrm, it seem the legends have some truth in them, you are certainly stronger than you look.”

Remedy grinned like a cat and brushed some dirt from her hoof. “Well I’m no apple farmer that’s for sure. The Apple Family up the road can rid a tree of it’s entire yield in a single buck, but you better remember what these things can do and be grateful I wasn’t really trying to hurt you when I hit you yesterday.”

Faolan absent mindedly rubbed his cheek again.

Remedy handed him one of her apples then bit into her own. It was succulent and some of its juice ran down her chin. She sighed contentedly.

Foalan looked at the fruit suspiciously then took an awkwardly bite, unsure of how to even approach the act. Remedy laughed at the scrunched face he made afterwards.

While they were eating an unnatural fog rolled in around Remedy, whispy curls tangled around her hooves. She looked down at the mist in confusion.

“I hope I’m not interrupting.” a deep voice rumbled behind them.

Remedy yelped and spun on her hooves. Abidah stepped out of the foggy shroud and towered over them. She immediately shied back behind Faolan.

Foalan smiled reassuringly and stepped forward. “Good morning Abidah”

The great owl settled his feathers and folded his wings around his frame. “And to you too. I see our guest is up and about, unusual for Aleena’s poison to wear off so quickly.”

“Haha - yeah, it was surprising to say the least,” Faolan laughed nervously, "Remedy this is Abidah the Wise, Chair of the council. He is the one that sought your participation.”

Remedy immediately scowled, “so it was you! You’re the one responsible for orchestrating my kidnapping.”

Faolan's eyes widened in panic. “Sssh!, Remedy! He is the chair of the council, and one of the forest spirits. Show some respect for sanity’s sake.”

Abidah took Remedy’s countenance in stride, calmly dismissing the wolf’s panicked attempts to silence the angry little mare.

“It’s all right Faolan. I humbly apologize for any inconvenience our actions have caused.”

Remedy huffed, “Inconveni… Are you KIDDING!?”

Abidah silenced her with a swift flaring of his wings before she could roll into a full blown rant. The pair were enveloped in his shadow and a fierce wind ripped through the surrounding grass. Both Remedy and Faolan shielded their eyes from the gusty onslaught.

In a firm but calm tone Abidah continued, “Perhaps if I explain our situation, you might find our reasons less… unreasonable.”

Remedy glared silently and Abidah folded his wings once more. “Details will come later, but suffice it to say. We are seeking your assistance to stave off our own extinction.”

“And what if I think your extinction isn’t such a bad idea?” Remedy mumbled bitterly.

Abidah frowned at her cruel response. “You haven’t been met with the best first impressions and I don’t blame you for the animosity you show. Our tribes have never seen eye to eye, but do you truly believe we all deserve death? Wouldn’t that make you more the monster than any you’ve seen so far?”

Remedy maintained her stubborn glare.

“You’ve torn me from my home, my family. You’ve already KILLED my teacher and friend. I swear if anything happens to them because they’re searching for me, because of... this. I swear by Celestia I’ll show you a real monster.”

Abidah stood over three times Remedy's height, and the bulk of his feathers made for an imposing silhouette. His large eyes narrowed on Remedy, and one of his talons scratched irritated at the dirt but Remedy didn't flinch and maintained her vice like stare with the great spirit. Faolan looked nervously between the two and a small whimper escaped.

A distant howl broke the icy standoff. A second followed then a third. Abidah finally blinked, his expression softened and he looked towards the direction of the howls.

“I believe Ulrica has arrived. I’ll do what I can to ensure that any of your kin entering the forest in search of you are not harmed. For now, come. Let us meet the Queen of Dens.”

Remedy opened her mouth to object but before any response could be uttered, he spread his wings and great curtains of fog billowed out swallowing the trio. Remedy squeaked and tried to step back, but her hooves lost purchase on the ground. For a moment she felt weightless like she was falling, but before panic could take hold she felt soft earth once more. The mist quickly receded and she found herself standing back at the edge of the Moonshadow glade.

Remedy shook her head to clear the sudden vertigo but by the time she could gather her senses Abidah had already walked away.

On the other side of the glade, a new pack of wolves were emerging from the forest. They were all female and their heads were decorated with coloured beads and flowers. They moved with confidence and grace and the rest of the clan bowed in respect. They greeted a waiting Kerena before quickly taking position forming a guard of honor.

From within the forest Remedy heard the creaking and groaning of wood. A flight of startled birds took to the air as their roost shuddered and a sudden burst of magical light rippled at the path entrance. Slowly the thick trunks of the trees at the clearings edge warped and bowed away.

Remedy gasped as Ulrica stepped into the light. The great wolf raised her head to its full height, an orb of icy blue light shimmered between two long horns that swept back from her head. Dark red markings on her face glowed faintly, contrasting with her light grey coat. The orb of magic flickered out and the trees twisted back to their original upright positions.

Remedy gaped awestruck, the great wolf was at least 8’ tall, and her coat shone with particular luster. All the wolves bowed in respect as she entered the glade. Abidah walked up to Ulrica, himself large enough to look her in the eye. He offered a respectful nod, then hugged her like an old friend.

“Abidah, it’s good to see you again” she greeted, her voice soothing and melodic, “I hope the weight of your constant worrying hasn’t prematurely aged you.”

Abidah chuckled heartily, “That, I cannot guarantee.”

Ulrica extended a giant paw and reassuringly laid it on the owls shoulder. “You need to relax more. Let life happen rather than fret over all its possibilities.”

“Perhaps one day, but for now the forest needs my planning if we’re to survive. Come, I want you to meet the special guest that will be taking part in the council activities this evening.”

Abidah led the great wolf up the slope to where Remedy and Faolan stood. Every wolf bowing as she passed. Remedy cowered slightly behind Faolan under the shadow of the great wolf spirit. Faolan knelt before the sovereign and Ulrica, seeing the young mare cowering, graciously addressed him first.

“Hello Faolan”

“M’Lady, it’s an honor to receive you once more.”

“How does your father fare?” she asked, noticing Marrok standing at the den entrance above.

“One day at a time.” Faolan smiled weakly but the unmistakable hint of sadness couldn’t be hidden in his voice.

Ulrica smiled reassuringly, “Have faith Faolan, I’m sure he can yet find hope.”

Faolan’s smile brightened, “As always M’Lady, your words give us all hope in these desperate times.”

Ulrica turned to face Remedy again, the mares initial shock having somewhat waned and Faolan stepped forward eager to make the introductions.

“M’Lady Ulrica, may I introduce Remedy of the Ponies. Remedy, this is Lady Ulrica, Queen of Dens. You have no need to fear.”

Remedy steeled her expression, bolstered her courage and stepped forward.

Ulrica smiled sweetly, “Miss Remedy is it? A pleasure to meet your acquaintance. I’m very grateful for your cooperation in our little gathering tonight.”

Remedy's expression soured. “Cooperation is bit strong. Coercion perhaps. I wish I could say the pleasure was mutual…”

Faolan bowed his head in embarrassment, “Remedy please…”

Remedy snorted, and angrily turned on Faolan, “No Faolan. Enough with the pleasantries. Any other day and I’d be served up on a platter. Now I’m expected to be all sweet and thankful for the hospitality?”

Ulrica raised an eyebrow and glanced at Faolan. Faolan bowed his head in apology. Abidah’s own eyes were closed as he pinched the bridge of his beak with a wing to stave off a growing migraine.

“I’m sick of everyone pretending to be so nice,” Remedy continued, her tirade building steam, “meanwhile I’ve been kidnapped from my home and family, almost eaten by three different creatures, and everyone thinks that’s ok!?”

Ulrica lowered her body onto the grass to bring her eye level closer to Remedy’s. At this, every wolf also layed down.

“I’m sorry we’ve had to meet under these circumstances, I truly am. It’s only because we find our situation so dire that we’ve acted so desperately.”

Remedy stood in a wide stance with her head held low. She glared back up at Ulrica. “And as I told the owl, I’m not so certain I care for your plight.”

“Remedy, do you hate us?” asked Ulrica, her voice measured and neutral.

“I hate what you do.”

“You have nothing to fear here. My wolves will protect you, of that I am certain.”

Faolan let out a small whimper.

“Certain? You’re CERTAIN! Only yesterday one of YOUR wolves tried to kill me while I was tied down!”

Ulrica raised her head in surprise “What? Is this true? Who did this?”

Remedy pointed towards the den entrance. “The one they call Marrok.”

For a moment Ulrica's closed her eyes and her ears sagged. Then like the turning of a sudden storm her lips peeled back into a snarl and the dark markings on her face flared a brilliant red, traces of magical aura licked from them like flames. She lifted her head and bellowed across the clearing. “MARROK!

Every other wolf cowered on the ground. Their ears pinned flat and tails tucked between their legs. Even Faolan trembled and cowered. But Marrok stood defiant on his hilltop. With his head held high he made his way down the hill to stand tall before Ulrica. Her massive muzzle only inches from his face.

A warning growl rumbled deep in Ulrica’s throat like a landslide, “Is this true? Knowing full well her purpose here, did you attempt to take her life?”

Marrok’s ears pinned against the back of his head and his hackles bristled, “And what of it!” he barked.

Ulrica drew up to her full height, her voice low and laden with uncompromising authority, “Your hatred has corrupted you Marrok. Blinded by your grief you have brought contempt upon our tribe. Since your efforts were made in vain, I will not pass judgement, instead…”

Ulrica turned to Remedy, “It was your life that he tried to take. In recompense I offer you his. Say the word and I’ll bite off his head.”

Marrok turned his burning yellow eyes on Remedy his lips peeled into a vicious snarl and foam formed at the corners of his mouth. He spat his words at her, “It was your fault! If you weren’t there all those years ago, I wouldn’t have lost half my bloodline. Go on DO IT! Spill my blood! Finish what you started!”

“SILENCE!” Ulrica roared.

Remedy glared back at Marrok, but something sparked in the back of her mind, a distant suppressed memory. Horrific recollection caused her eyes to widen. “YOU!" She screamed, "I recognise you now! You were the one who killed my friend. YOU WERE THE ONE WHO TOOK HER FROM ME!”

“His life is yours, will you take it?” Ulrica stood poised, her jaws slightly open and lips peeled back to reveal fangs longer than a unicorns horn. The muscles around her mouth tightened like bowstrings.

Faolan placed a paw on Remedy’s shoulder, his own eyes sorrowful, “Remedy, please…”

Remedy knocked his paw away angrily, “Shut up Faolan, You wouldn’t understand…” She stared black hatred at Marrok, and Marrok glared it straight back.

Remedy ground her teeth as old wounds reopened. Distant remembered laughter, stories and songs echoed cold and bitter like winter's forgotten spring. Revenge was hers to take, and now the perfect opportunity. But killing was wrong wasn't it? But did this really count? Wouldn't killing him save countless others? Would this even count as her killing? She wasn't a killer, was she?

"Your verdict?" growled Ulrica.

Remedy seethed with conflict until she felt she would boil over. Shaking with rage she screamed and shouted at Marrok.

“Death would be too kind. You deserve worse than death. No! I hope you're madness takes you. I hope you live a long life, and SUFFER ALL OF IT!”

Remedy snorted then turned and stomped off down the hill. Ulrica relaxed her jaws and sternly addressed Marrok. “Go into the den. I don’t want to see you until after the council meeting. I will speak with you then.”

Marrok snorted and skulked back into the den, disappearing into the darkness within. Faolan turned to follow after Remedy, but Ulrica shook her head. Instead she herself silently followed Remedy down the hill.