• Published 5th Mar 2019
  • 540 Views, 95 Comments

The Carnivore Council - CreativeOverflow



As the Everfree forest is cleared to make room for another new pony settlement, the current guardians of the forest are driven to confront their growing hunger.

  • ...
4
 95
 540

Chapter 4

A solitary raven floated back down through the forest canopy and perched on a fallen log. A young grey wolf cocked an ear to the bird and listened to its whispered secrets.

On the opposite side of the small clearing, Faolan pressed through the foliage accompanied by the rest of his party. The advanced party had already prepared for the rest of the squads arrival, and now shifted restlessly awaiting further instruction.

“At ease everyone, rest while you can" said Faolan with a calm and confident command, "Conserve your energy. We could be mobilising at any time so operational readiness is paramount. We have taken considerable rations from the clan so we can focus on our mission without worrying about hunting other game. Do not dishonor their hunger, we could be here for several days. Be as calm and patient as the earth around you. Scouts, what do you have to report?”

A trio of wolves bounded up to Faolan and took a seat before him. One of them, a larger male, stepped forward. He was older than most of the young fit wolves here, but sometimes experience counted for more than youthful vigor.

“As expected, we've seen neither hide nor hair within the forest so most of our information comes from raven intel. This has cost us some rations but did bare useful fruit. The pony creatures are ungulates, similar to deer but shorter and stouter. They are herbivorous and display strong herd mentality. They are mostly concentrated in moderate to high population social groups. As the old legends say, they are brightly coloured and appear to have no want for natural camouflage. This should make tactical identification of individual members easier.”

“Okay, so pretty much as expected so far, what about the exotic features?” Faolan questioned.

Another smaller wolf stepped forward and the older wolf yielded his place.

“From what we’ve gathered, there are three subspecies. A winged type capable of quick and dexterous flight that call themselves pegasi. A horned type which apparently possess a wide variety of magic called unicorns. And a third type with neither wings nor horn simply referred to as earth ponies.” he reported.

"It also looks like they are the ones responsible for destroying most of the forest. " the third scout piped in uninvited. She was the youngest member of the trio, and clearly still a little impulsive.

Faolan frowned at the breach of protocol. The eldest gave a quick snap at the pup and pulled her back into line.

Faolan considered the information carefully. “Flight pretty much eliminates pegasi as a potential target, and I’m concerned magic will make any plan too unpredictable. What can you tell me of this earth subspecies?”

“Both the pegasi and unicorns are both smaller and weaker physically than either deer or boar we’ve hunted before. But the earth ponies appear to possess a strength belying their physical size” the senior scout answered.

Faloan raised a curious eyebrow, “How much strength?”

“We're not entirely sure. We are relying on ravens. They're good for broad scope, but they get bored with the finer details so we have conflicting information. I think it's best we assume that the strength varies between individuals. Some are weaker perhaps, but certain individuals could have strength rivaling buffalo if the more extreme accounts are to be believed and size is not a good indicator either apparently.”

“Unfortunate. We shall have to choose our target carefully and hope for the best then, although our options may be severely limited” Faolan conceded. "Other than herd mentality, what else about them?"

The youngest scout stepped forward, more composed this time. “They appear to be very resourceful and exhibit high intelligence, certainly with a predilection to controlling their environments like the Hart and his retinue, but to a far more extreme degree. They do not bend nature to their purposes, they cut it down and construct their environment from it's carcass."

"Careful, Keegan. Keep your aura steady. If you become emotional you will get hurt or worse somebody else will. Their roles in such land clearing are probably why the council wants to speak with one."

Keegan looked down, her ears drooping under Faolan's gentle rebuke. "Sorry sir. They seem to have lived for a long time without natural predators, and so we predict their instincts have dulled. Standard Predatory psych-ops should prove especially effective” she finished humbly.

Faolan smiled at her kindly. “Very good, this won't be an easy mission so it's important to keep a level head."

He turned to the rest of the scouts. "It seems the earth type ponies will be the best target, but we’ll need to pick the quarry carefully. What’s the lay of the land?”

“As ordered we reconned only and our presence was undetected, but though the forest is cleared just up ahead, there do not appear to be any settlements on the edge of the forest, probably for obvious reasons. Raven intel puts a decent herd of these ponies about 12 clicks from the forest edge although there is a lot of open ground between us and them. It would be difficult to approach during the day, and at night they are all holed up inside their dens. We’ve set up patrols along the forest edge. So far we’ve only seen one flying type pony even come close. He spent quite some time foraging amongst a patch of Widow’s Tears. As mentioned, these creatures don’t seem to have much instinctual awareness so observation was trivial, this should work to our advantage.” The senior wolf explained helpfully.

Faolan scowled, “Tch. A flying type though. No good. If an initial ambush fails, it’ll be away before we can make any sort of maneuver. I’d rather keep the element of surprise and not waste it on a vain hope.”

“The ravens followed after he left. “ said Keegan quickly, “He flew back to a small structure about 2 clicks from the forest. Several pegasi as well as earth ponies were noted in the vicinity. Perhaps a fledgling herd?”

“Interesting,” faolan pondered, “Have we noticed any of the earth types grazing near the forest?”

“None yet sir.” The first responded, “but we haven’t been here long.”

“Ok. Set up constant surveillance of the Widow's Tears. If they have an interest in the flower there’s a good chance they’ll return. If we’re lucky it’ll be one of the earth type. Also set up raven watch on that herd. I want to know movement patterns, numbers and behaviour. If there’s movement towards the forest, I want to know it before it gets here. Use my rations to bribe them if you need to”

“Understood Sir!” the three scouts barked and scampered away to their duties.

Faolan jumped onto the fallen log bordering the clearing. Turning he addressed the rest of his pack. “Alright hunters, gather round. Here’s the plan…”


The little bell hanging over the door rang merrily. With a grunt, an elderly brown stallion limped in and took a grateful seat on the waiting bench with a groan of relief.

“Good morning Mr Waltzer, how are you today?” said Remedy cheerfully as he sat and started to massage his knees.

"Good morning dear, not too good I’m afraid. It appears I’ve contracted a bad case of old age. Do you have a cure for that?” Waltzer grumbled morbidly.

Remedy chuckled sympathetically, “I’m afraid we’re all out of fountain of youth. But maybe I can give you something for those knees of yours.”

“They’re not worth very much I’m afraid.” Waltzer joked back.

Remedy laughed. "Well what are you doing walking all the way from town. Surely someone could give you a ride in a cart or something."

"Hrmph. These hooves have danced from Baltimare to Vanhoover. I don't need nopony to cart me anywhere" he pouted defiantly.

Remedy chuckled and rolled her eyes at the stubborn pony as she dragged a small step ladder over to her ceiling-high shelves filled with tins and jars of various dried herbs and salves.

"Yes, yes. You've told me that one, but that was back in the day Mr Waltzer. Today you need to take care of yourself, or you won't be walking anywhere at all."

The grouchy stallion just grunted noncommittally and poked suspiciously at the ugly green striped flower poking out of a small vase of water on the side table.

"It’s surprising such an ugly little flower can be so useful.” he mused out loud, preferring any topic other than how he should be admitting his age.

Remedy smiled and looked over her shoulder from her step ladder.

“You know, I said pretty much the same thing when I first learned about them.”

Reaching up to one of the higher shelves, she selected a small black tin with a thick purple band painted around its top. Plain white lettering on the front labeled the tin WD #40.

“Did you know there are over 100 subspecies of Wild Darkbell, and each one of them has different medicinal properties and benefits. They all still taste pretty bad though.” she conceded with a chuckle.

“Is that so?” The old stallion pondered, recoiling at an experimental sniff of the flower.

Remedy stepped off the ladder and returned to the counter with the tin. She opened it and emptied its meager contents onto some paper. “Unfortunately, this is the last I have and I’m not likely to be able to get any more for at least another week.

The old stallion turned from his flower inspection to face the young herbalist. “Doesn’t that young merchant colt usually get them for you? Seems he's always here whenever I visit?” The old stallion implied, an eyebrow raised knowingly.

"You know, I was younger than your age when I first..." he continued.

Remedy blushed a little and quickly interrupted, "Yes yes, in your day. He's away on a business trip and won't be back for a week."

Mr Waltzer groaned out of his seat and wandered over slowly. His expression was stoic, but the flinches of pain could be seen in the subtle strains on his face.

He pulled himself up to the counter. “In my day eh... it seems a lot of days have come since then” he said with a weak smile

Remedy reached out and patted his hoof gently.

"Don't worry Mr Waltzer, this stuff can make a statue tap-dance. One cup of tea made with this and you'll be feeling 50 years younger in no time. But please, take it easy ok. It's not a magic cure... well it is pretty magical but it's not a cure. It just helps with the pain and unbinds those joints for a while"

Remedy finished wrapping the little paper sachet with a piece of string and the stallion pulled a few bits from a small bag on his hip.

The door bell rang again with it's welcoming jingle. A golden mane and smile poked around the door with the radiance of the dawning sun.

"Hey Remedy, oh! Hi Mr Waltzer. You still dancing up a storm with those mares at the retirement home." Sunny bounced up and gave a little jig finishing with a heal kick flourish.

"Ha ha, you know it" said Mr Waltzer and gave his own little jig and flourish. His regret was immediate and pronounced. He winced and gave out a painful hiss.

"Mr Waltzer!, what did I say about taking it easy" scolded Remedy. She quickly navigated around the counter to guide him back to the bench.

"And Sunny, you should know better than to encourage him"

"Aww, " she pouted, "I was just having a little fun. Are you OK Mr Waltzer?"

Sunny helped Remedy resettle the elder on the wooden bench.

"I'm fine, just pinched a nerve," he flapped a weak hoof in a futile attempt to dissuade the fussy mares. "I just need to rest a little bit before heading off."

"Ahem, no way Mister" Remedy chided sternly. "You are not walking back to Ponyville. Sunny can you go get dad's cart and take Mr Waltzer here back home?"

"No worries," said Sunny with a big smile, "I was just dropping in to say hi before heading back anyway."

Sunny quickly ducked outside and flew around the building exterior.

"Honestly, you two are making a fuss" Mr Waltzer grumbled.

"And it's OK to ask for a helping hoof sometimes too." said Remedy and placed a gentle hoof over his.

Mr Waltzer nodded in resignation and smiled. "Oh alright, you're a good lass you know. I don't know what I'd do without you. That colt is a lucky one, but If he doesn't treat you right, you let me know. I'll set him straight" he winked.

Remedy laughed and pushed a loose strand out of her face. "I'll certainly warn him"

The clatter of wooden wheels on stone paving came to an abrupt halt outside. A crunch of gravel was soon followed by the reappearance of the mad grinning mare herself.

"Ponyville Express ready to depart. Tickets please."

Remedy helped Mr Waltzer ease onto his hooves. When she was sure he was steady she grabbed his parcel off the counter and passed it to him. He worked the sachet into his saddlebag.

"Oh, before I forget. Gossip round the home is that timberwolves were howling out behind the orchards again. Just wanted to warn you. Frightful monsters. I know you had that terrible scare with them when you were a filly." he patted Remedy gently on the shoulder.

Sunny froze.

"Just remember to keep your pots and pans handy," he said with a smile, "the critters can't handle a racket"

"I'll be alright Mr Waltzer," Remedy chuckled, "you head on back now and go easy on those hooves. You've only got one set."

He nodded and slowly ambled out the door.

"And go easy on the road Sunny. Not too fast." she continued, but Sunny was just staring with a worried expression on her face.

"You OK?" Sunny asked.

"I'm fine, go on."

"O-Okay, I'll bring back the cart tomorrow morning"

Remedy smiled and nodded. Sunny turned to leave but hesitated a moment.

"Take care Dee, I'll see you tomorrow - bright and early."

Mr Waltzer climbed onto the back of the wagon with a helpful push from Sunny. Sunny hitched herself to the harness and then with a gentle tug and the clatter of wood on stone, she gently pulled the cart out onto the road to Ponyville.

Remedy watched them leave, then shut the door. She crossed back to her counter, but stopped short. Her head hung low and her face was hidden under the shadow of her mane. She was motionless except for her shallow breathing.

WHACK! - Her hind leg suddenly lashed out at the counter.

WHACK! - She kicked it again.

She stood still for another long moment. Remedy sniffed then shook her head to chase away the dark thoughts. With a deep breath she made her way back to her work table. The book she'd been writing all her recipes and notes in lay open at the page she had left it at before Mr Waltzer had arrived. A half finished paragraph on the antibiotic properties of ginger was waiting to be finished. She stared at it blankly for a minute.

"It's not his fault" she suddenly said out loud to nopony.

"They just believe what's easiest. What they already believe."

Abandoning her page, Remedy turned to tidy up the counter. She placed the lid back on the now empty tin and sighed again.

Mr Waltzer was a nice pony. Full of anecdotes and 'In my day...' stories. He could be nosy, stubborn, cheeky and sometimes more than a little bawdy, but it was endearing. It was nice to talk to someone who had lived through so much, with such a rich tapestry of a life to share.

A sad smile crept onto Remedy's face.

"He didn't mean any hurt by what he said. He's just going by the accepted story."

Remedy quickly ascended her step ladder and placed the empty tin back on its high shelf. She lingered a hoof on the purple band that ran around it's rim.

"That medicine will only last a day, two at most. He'll be in crippling pain again. Trade isn't due back till the end of next week, and then there's the turn-around time for him to acquire some. That will take at least..."

Remedy paused her monologue mid thought. She glanced over at the green rimmed Darkbell drooping in its vase.

Remedy's shop wasn't especially large. It consisted of only half the room's original size behind the counter. The original bunk beds had been removed and replaced with her high shelves, and a hole had been knocked into the original back wall to provide a doorway in the far back corner leading to the rest of the new extension. So when she started to mutter and pace she could only manage two strides before she had to twirl and pace in the other direction.

"The forest...Trade said he found it near the forest. Could it be? It could be the same patch, but... he wasn't attacked. Of course he wasn't. No pony has seen anything come out of this side of the forest except... No, I can't... but if I don't..."

Remedy let out a frustrated moan and slumped her forehead onto the counter.

"I'm a herbalist and I'm afraid of the one place most herbs grow. Argh, I hate being scared all the time. It's so stupid. I'm sick of other ponies treading gently like I'm made of glass, or trying to be nice when they don't even know or believe me. If I don't go Mr Waltzer won't be able to walk for a week and I could have stopped it."

She banged her head against the counter as if it were a judges gavel. "That's it. I'm sick of this. I'm going. I'll be there and back before anyone knows I'm even gone. I can't keep running away."

As if to race her own mounting indecision, she quickly threw on the pair of saddlebags she kept stored under the work bench, and grabbed a large sunhat from a hook on the door. She was almost out the door when she stopped. She raced back, reached under the counter and pulled out a sickle in a wooden sheath. She stuffed it unceremoniously into her saddlebag and raced out the door before her mind had time to change.

A few scratches of chalk later, and the small black board on her front door read.

Herbing, back at 3pm

Outside it was a glorious day and the sun filtered in mottled splotches through the large oak that stood sentry in the front yard. Remedy closed her eyes and took the time to take a deep breath and feel the warm patchwork sunlight ripple across her coat. With new determination she opened her eyes, set her jaw, pulled the brim of her hat down low and took her first shaky step. Then another, then the next. The wind stirred the leaves at her feet which danced around her like a cheer squad. The great oak creaked it's bows and waved its branches in celebration. Remedy let a small smile relax onto her face.

This isn't so bad. It's just like any other day I go gathering. Come on Remedy, a dirty old stallion needs your help. This is what I do. What I was born to do.

Her pluck sufficiently buoyed Remedy shifted into a trot and headed down a little used pathway that led away from the homestead and towards the distant forest treetops. The swirling leaves left behind whirled and danced under the great oak like a fanfare before the wind released them and they fell back to the ground. Amidst the raining leaves, a solitary black feather floated down between the branches and came to rest beside them.

A ten minute trot later, Remedy slowed to a walk down the familiar but overgrown path. She paused by a nest of weeds that was once her flower garden. The tree it was planted under had grown considerably and its roots had pushed the neat little border of stones out of place.

Remedy looked towards the edge of the forest. Other than a few short lived shrubs and grasses that had moved in the intervening time, the scene looked much as it had ten years ago. Taking a moment to sniff the air and listen, she couldn't sense anything out of place. A slight breeze was blowing toward the forest as if gently drawing her toward it.

Remedy slapped her cheeks. "Come on Remedy, it was a freak accident. No monsters have been seen outside these woods in a decade. Besides Trade was here just the other day and he didn’t have any trouble” she chided her nervousness.

Remedy cautiously approached that fateful bush of yesteryear, careful to avoid any twigs, her ears constantly scanning and swiveling on alert. She pulled back the overgrown foliage, a somewhat enlarged patch of Wild Darkbell now sprouted in the undergrowth. She sighed with disappointment at the evidence of rough recent foraging activities. Tradewind’s efforts now doubt. He had clearly been eager to find a single bloom, and had trampled some others in his quest. Remedy took the sickle out of her bag, and quickly began to gather the precious bells and place them into her saddlebags.

A rustle of bushes immediately brought her head upright. Every sense scouring the surroundings in dread. But no evidence of attack could be found. All was still and quiet.

“Now now, don’t go getting spooked over nothing…” Remedy tried to console her nerves. She slowly began to gather more Darkbell, fortunately there were some purple banded ones mixed in this patch, looks like this was worth it.

“CAW!” A crow settled on a nearby branch.

“Aaand, I think this is plenty.” Remedy declared, gathering her hat and saddlebags. She picked up her sickle, turned to leave and immediately came face to face with a large silver and grey wolf, cold piercing blue eyes stared straight down into hers, searing the moment in her soul.

“Aaaah!” Remedy shrieked and stumbled backwards, her hat and saddlebags discarded in an instant. The sickle trembled in her mouth. She turned to bolt in another direction, but another wolf emerged from the bushes and blocked her path, a chilling sense of deja vu flooded her veins like ice.

“Nononononono” Remedy babbled through clenched teeth as she backed away and darted around, but each possible escape was blocked one by one by another stealthy wolf emerging from the low lying shrubs that dominated the area. The wolves moved with calm and deadly purpose. A chorus of low growls droned ominously like a dark ritual and behind her the dark maw of the forest opened like a hungry mouth. Tears streamed down Remedy’s face and she sobbed incoherently, fear overwhelming any rational thought. Her back pressed against the forest boundary while the wolves carefully closed in. Their growls grew in intensity, lips curled into snarls, sharp white teeth bared. “Oh Celestia, save me” Remedy prayed. Fear wafted off her in thick waves and gripped its bony claws deep into her heart, they were going to kill her.

A small mottled wolf eager for her blood advanced aggressively and snapped its jaws at her heels. Remedy screamed and threw the sickle at it. The wolf let out a pained yelp, but she didn't look. She ran. The only place she could. The forest.

The dark twisted branches of the forest whipped by. The path was barely visible under the thick canopy of the forest. It was barely more than a stock trail, narrow and overgrown. The undergrowth on the sides was thick and blocked any escape other than her current path. In her periphery, she could see the sunlight at the edge of the forest fading like a rapid twilight.

Remedy bolted as fast as she could down the path, tears blurred her vision and every vine, root and bramble crowding the path seemed to reach out and grab her, trying to force her to stumble. Her hooves pounded the ground like a heavy drum beat in time with her own pounding heartbeat. It was deafening in her ears. Accompanying, the staccato barks and yips of the ravenous hunger that pursued her in horrific harmony with the roaring chorus of adrenaline and rushing blood that coursed through her veins.

Behind her the growls and snarls of the chasing pack echoed ever present. Remedy splashed through a small brook crossing the path. She stumbled and almost lost her footing in the process. Her scare granted her an extra burst of speed in an attempt to regain the lost ground. Remedy was fit enough, but she struggled with the unfamiliar terrain. The ground was uneven and full of critter holes that could trip her. Any slip meant death. Remedy chanced a glance back behind her. The wolves weren’t as close as she thought, but they were still definitely pursuing, the big white one with the piercing blue eyes was missing, but the aggressive little bitch was there. A red scarlet streak darkened the fur on her left shoulder. Remedy faced forward again just as she crashed straight into a thick low branch. Her front legs buckled and her face planted into the damp earth. The branch bent, tangled under her barrel. In an instant the wolves closed the distance. Remedy yelped and pushed through the branch just as the lead wolf’s jaws snapped where her heels were. The bowed branch swung free slamming into the face of the aggressive little wolf. She yelped and reeled back, temporarily halting the hunting party. Remedy gave no pause to thank her fortune, focusing every ounce of her strength and desperation on acceleration. She raced around a hillside. The steep rock wall and cliff edge hemming her in on the path, but she had gained a considerable lead. Gaps in the treetops showed the forests edge curving in close up ahead. The light of an opening shone like a beacon in confirmation and for the first time she had hope, a way out. Lowering her head Remedy put on a fierce burst of speed. Her natural earth pony fortitude carrying her diminutive frame with contradictory swiftness and endurance. The canopy gave way to dappled afternoon sun, as if heralding her salvation. Remedy thundered down the hillside with reckless abandon. She was almost there. Only a small barren clearing to cross. A strobe of white caught her peripheral vision. High on the rocky outcrop above a white and grey blur kept determined pace above her. The intermittent beams of sunlight flashing against the white shadow as it passed behind the thin trees lining the ridge.

Remedy barreled into the dusty crossroad. Just as she broke the tree line, she saw the large white wolf leap silently on a perfect trajectory toward her. Remedy panicked, her legs gave out and she tumbled to the ground. It wasn’t much, but it was enough. The wolf sailed clear over her, a thick vine held in it’s jaws. Remedy rolled to a stop in the dirt and scrambled to her hooves. The wolf was far more dexterous and handled the complication far more gracefully. Dancing lightly on his front paws, he quickly spun to face the frightened mare. He now stood between Remedy and freedom. The bright light behind darkening his silhouette. Howls and snarls rolled down the hillside behind her. The white wolf, with vine loop still in mouth, growled and stepped forward. Remedy didn’t wait to think. She darted down the dark path forking off from the clearing and back into the forest.

“WAIT, NO!” shouted Faolan futilely, the vine dropped forgotten from his jaws. He gave chase but halted at the entrance to the dark, cobweb strewn path.

The pursuing pack ran up to Faolan panting, “well now what? She has run straight into Aleena’s lair.” one of them inquired.

Faolan ignored the question, instead taking stock of the pack. “Where is Tarell?”

“Keegan was hit by a branch and fell, Tarell is tending to her”

“Get him quickly, he’s carrying the Council’s seal.” Faolan barked, the wolf responded immediately and raced back up the trail.

“You can’t be serious?” the old scout said, his breathing still heavy, “even with the seal, Aleena is one of the old ones, she may just ignore it. Not to mention the pony is probably already lost. What good will it do to risk your own life?” He implored.

“We don’t know for sure if she’s dead, we were given this mission by the Council and I intend to see it through to the end.”