• Published 5th Mar 2019
  • 540 Views, 95 Comments

The Carnivore Council - CreativeOverflow



As the Everfree forest is cleared to make room for another new pony settlement, the current guardians of the forest are driven to confront their growing hunger.

  • ...
4
 95
 540

Chapter 15

“And that’s the last one,” said Remedy, balancing a wooden crate on her back.

Tradewind lifted the heavy box and slid it onto the back of his sky-wagon. “You’re really amazing, you know that? To make all this in only two weeks.”

“I’m just spoiling you. And you’re lucky I had all those herbs from the forest. Really there should have been a rush order surcharge.” Remedy held her head imperiously.

“Ooh, I love it when you talk dirty,” he sniggered.

Remedy smirked and rolled her eyes. She took another count of the boxes in the back of Trade’s wagon as he checked the straps of the harness. Overhead, a freshly squeezed rain cloud zipped across the sky pushed by a familiar yellow pegasus; en route to enrich itself with more nourishing moisture. Remedy let out a melancholic sigh. “Hopefully this goes some way to appeasing your father. I fear he thinks I’m a bad influence.”

Tradewind laughed. “He may be right, you know.” He flashed a cheeky grin over his shoulder, but Remedy just stared into the wagon, still wearing her uneasy expression. He walked over and rubbed her shoulder gently, drawing her back from her rumination. “Hey, seriously. It doesn’t matter what he thinks. Dad’s always been about the business, but I would give it all away in an instant for you. Understand? I would scale the tallest peaks, and brave the darkest deeps. He’ll just have to get used to the idea.”

A shy smile crept onto her face.

“How about this,” Trade continued, “I was going to ask my folks to join us for dinner at that super exclusive restaurant in Canterlot – Le Petite Bijou. A friend of mine works there and owes me a favour, so I’m sure I could get us a reservation. But instead, I’m going to bake you a pie.”

Remedy baulked. “Pie? Why a pie?”

“The Trade family is no Canterlot Royalty, but the business is doing well and I have my own savings. I’ve also made friends all over Equestria which gives me access to some pretty exclusive places. Yet none of that can buy me an ounce of happiness without you. So, instead of making money, I’ll make time – to cook for you. Can I borrow your kitchen?”

Remedy blinked at him, then burst into laughter. She wiped the tears from her eyes and her laughter tapered into a light chuckle. “That’s sweet. Really odd, but sweet. I didn't even know you could cook?”

Tradewind scratched his head, and chuckled nervously. “I can learn. might need a few pointers though.”

Remedy smiled and shook her head. “Go, before your father pops a blood vessel.” She butted him gently towards the front of the wagon. He stepped into the harness and looped the straps across his back. Remedy stepped up to assist and whispered just behind his ear. “and when you come back, maybe I’ll give you a few private lessons.” She yanked the belly strap tight and squeezed a surprised whinny from the colt.

Trade tried to hide behind a coltish smirk, but failed to conceal the growing timid blush. “I should be back in about a week. Please promise me, you won’t go into the forest or otherwise embark on a mortally perilous adventure while I’m gone.”

“No promises,” teased Remedy, poking out her tongue.

“No, I’m serious,” he said sternly. “It’s hard to keep a mare-friend in every port when I have to keep ditching illicit romantic rendezvous to save your flank.”

Remedy whinnied, a hot flush of embarrassment blushed her cheeks. She growled and glared up at the dark, heavy rain cloud that had been loitering above them for the last minute. “Sunny, you rat!“ she shouted futilely. The cloud gave a startled squeak and quickly skittered away over the homestead, a few errant raindrops loosed in its shuddering wake.

Trade stood as smug as ever, a broad smirk plastered on his face. Remedy could feel the heat of embarrassment on her cheeks, and she knew he was enjoying it far too much. “What are you grinning for. You were two days too late!” she huffed.

Trade wheeled the cart around and leaned in. Remedy turned her head away and stuck her nose in the air but let him kiss her cheek.

“You’d better not be late this time,” she said in a huff.

Tradewind smiled. “I love you,” he said quietly.

Remedy’s expression softened, and her cheek yearned to pursue his retreating lips.

Tradewind turned the cart around to face the open road. “I’ll be back in a week. You stay safe, ok?”

Remedy nodded.

Tradewind stretched his wings and leaned into the harness. The wagon creaked into motion and with a few powerful beats of his wings, lifted into the air as if it were only a paper lantern.

Sunny peeked timidly around the corner of the house. “All ready to go?” she said quietly.

Remedy watched as the wagon became a tiny spec on the horizon. Then she spun and levelled a wolfish grin at Sunny. “You ratted on me.”

Sunny mustered as much weapons-grade innocence as she could manage, and shrugged with a sheepish smile. “Oops?”

“Ooooh, I’m going to make you pay for that,” Remedy chuckled with an unnerving glee. She walked over and hoisted the pair of heavy saddlebags she had left near the door onto her back. “And I’m not going to say how or when.”

“Oh c’mon Dee. I didn’t mean it. It just sort of… slipped out.” Sunny pouted. She mustered the courage to leave the shelter of the homestead’s stone walls and joined Remedy as they made their way towards Ponyville.

“Uh-huh, sure it did. And in what casual conversation, pray tell, did that little line come up?”

“Well, I may have, sorta, been spying on him...” Sunny mumbled, turning her head away to hide her shame.

“Sunny!” Remedy scolded.

“Hey, after what you said about a mare in every port – and then I saw him going into a different herbalist’s shop – I couldn’t help myself.” Sunny whined.

“Sunny, that’s still rude, now he’s going to think... wait. Another herbalist?”

“Right!? Super suspicious. So I spied on him a little. I learned two things. One: Turns out he was just looking for more Darkbell to impress you with, and two he’s really good at negotiations. Aggressive negotiations.”

“You cracked immediately didn’t you.” Remedy glared, deadpan at Sunny.

“I was young and naive,” she pleaded.

“It was only two weeks ago!” Remedy countered.

“Wow. That long?” said Sunny quietly. Remedy considered pushing her point, but stopped when she saw the far away look in Sunny’s listless gaze.

The pair walked quietly for a while until they arrived at a familiar crossroads. One road led to Ponyville, the other veered off towards the forest.

“Do you ever feel like you’re in a dream,” said Sunny suddenly, pausing at the fork in the road. “Like everything is ok, but at any moment you’re about to wake up to a living nightmare? I thought adventures were supposed to be fun, but I can’t even talk to anypony about it.”

“Oh Sunny,” said Remedy, putting a hoof around her shoulder. “You can talk to me. Anytime. Even if you do blab all my secrets.”

“Thanks, Dee. I know, I’m sorry. I don’t know what’s up with me lately.”

“Tell you what. I think I’ve had my fill of adventure too, so how about we stick to growing flowers from now on. Deal?”

“Deal,” said Sunny returning the hug. A mischievous twinkle reignited in her eye. “Though are you sure about growing only flowers?” she poked Remedy in the belly.

Remedy squeaked and slapped Sunny’s hoof away. “Why you…”

Sunny snickered and danced away, but Remedy was too quick. She wrapped the giggling pegasus in a headlock and repeatedly poked her in the ribs until she was squirming and shrieking in fits of laughter.

Remedy eventually released her hostage, and Sunny staggered away, gasping. Remedy stuck her nose in the air in supreme victory. “That will teach you.”

Sunny spun around with a vengeful grin. Then, like a candle in a snowstorm, the spark of joy in her died. Her ears fell back and her eyes widened. She stared past Remedy and her posture shrank.

Remedy looked behind. On the hill above, under a forlorn tree, next to a neglected flower bed, sat a familiar silver wolf.

“But it seems adventure hasn’t had enough of you.” Sunny whimpered.

“Faolan?” Remedy glanced back at Sunny. “I’ll go see what he wants. I’ll be right back.”

Sunny snatched Remedy’s back leg almost causing her to trip. “You just make sure you come back. No more trips into the forest. Promise!”

Remedy gently pulled her leg free and placed a hoof on Sunny’s shoulder. “I promise.”

Sunny stopped herself from grasping again, instead crossing her forelegs tightly across her chest. She withdrew into her own embrace.

Remedy gave her a reassuring smile, then trotted up the path, leaving her watching from the intersection.

“I don’t think I expected to ever see you again, much less so soon.” said Remedy as she approached Faolan.

“Is it so odd for a friend to visit?”

“If your friend is a carnivore, yeah a little.”

Faolan looked past Remedy to Sunny and his ears wilted slightly. “You know I’d never hurt her right?”

Remedy glanced back. Sunny was sitting where she left her, but she could feel the troubled stare from here. “Yeah, I know, but – she hasn’t been the same since the trip. She seems, I dunno, not as sunny.”

Faolan let out a sad little whimper.

“Don’t worry, she’s a tough cookie. I’m sure she’ll be back to her overly cheerful self in no time,” Remedy chuckled, but she wasn’t sure who she was trying to convince. She took a deep breath to clear her thoughts. Her eyes brightened and a cheeky smile crept onto her face. “But enough of that, how’s Kerena. Have you made a move yet?”

Faolan blinked, surprised by the sudden invasive question, and a mild blush tinged his cheeks. “We may have started a courtship, yes.”

“You make it sound like a legal procedure,” she giggled. “But it’s good that you have finally gotten over your excuses.”

Faolan snorted. “And I presume your own romance proceeds at full gallop.”

“I think full gallop is a bit of an exaggeration.” Remedy retorted, returning her own expression of indignation. “We’re taking things at our own pace. It’s not my fault you’re so bashful about your feelings.”

Faolan coughed uncomfortably. “Sooo, I see you’re all packed for another trip?”

Remedy looked at her saddlebags. “These? No, we’re just heading to Ponyville to make some deliveries. I do have a business to run, with local clientele you know.”

Faolan shifted, visibly uncomfortable. “Ponyville?” Faolan glanced back towards the forest. “Look, to be honest, I didn’t come here to just chit chat, lovely as it is. I wanted to give you a bit of warning.”

Remedy frowned and raised an eyebrow. “Warning? For what?”

Faolan scratched his front paw nervously, “It looks like things didn’t go exactly as hoped with Celestia.”

Remedy’s brow knitted with concern. “I’m not entirely surprised. I didn’t think she would accept. So, no compromise?”

“Unfortunately, it seems not.”

“So,” Remedy pressed, dread lacing her question, “what now?”

“You have to understand, we can’t do nothing and allow ourselves to starve to death.” Faolan defended.

Remedy’s eyes went wide as horrid thoughts crossed her mind. Faolan hurriedly waved away her growing panic and continued. “You’re not in danger. Nor are any other ponies. I made sure to petition for you all, and Abidah agreed. But…” he trailed off and his eyes searched the ground for unseen hidden wisdom.

“But?” Remedy pressed.

Faolan sighed heavily, abandoning the quest for an appropriate euphemism. “The oath as it was, will no longer stand. We are no longer bound by the limits of the forest.”

“So you mean?” Remedy cocked her head, still holding onto a vain hope that clarification would yield an unexpected result.

Faolan nodded slowly. “If Celestia won’t return the other species to the forest. The forest will come to them.”

Remedy covered her mouth with a gasp.

“I wanted to warn you. So you wouldn’t be afraid.” He glanced down at Sunny. “I don’t want you to be afraid of us.”

Remedy stuttered and a thousand morbid prospects flashed past. “How – is this all supposed to end? When Ponies learn of this, they’re not going to stand by.” she pleaded.

“I know, but you have to keep this secret. At least for now. I know it can’t last forever. But while we can hide in the shadow. There’s less chance of an altercation.”

“Altercation? I thought you said ponies were safe?”

“Ideally, yes. But not all the carnivores share the same level of enthusiasm for that mandate. And if they're forced to defend themselves...”

Remedy slumped to her haunches, her eyes; misty and unfocused. “And you?”

Faolan’s expression hardened. “I am the Alpha of my clan. I have to lead them, and the council’s orders are clear.”

“Remedy? Are you ok?” Sunny’s faint voice called out from the distant intersection.

Remedy glanced back at Sunny. She now stood, fidgeting at the threshold. Torn between wanting to be beside her friend, and her fear of the wolf.

Remedy turned back to Faolan. “How long will this last?”

Faolan ears drooped and he gave a small shrug. “As long as it can.” he said, despondent.

Remedy sat mute. Still processing the news. Faolan gave an apologetic smile, then turned and loped back down the path towards the forest. No sooner was he out of range, when Sunny galloped up beside Remedy.

“You ok?” she asked.

Remedy stared into the distance and watched the silver shadow slip into a thicket near the forest. “Uh, yeah,” she said distantly. Remembering Sunny, Remedy forced a grin onto her face. “He was just catching up. Come on we need to get to Ponyville; these deliveries won’t deliver themselves.”

Sunny hesitated then cantered up beside the retreating Remedy. She frowned and narrowed her eyes suspiciously. “What did he say?”

“Huh?” Remedy stuttered, as if waking from a dream. “Oh Faolan? Er, you know, general chit chat. Apparently he’s been making some progress with Kerena – now his mare-er-girl?...friend?” Remedy tilted her head as she pondered the appropriate prefix.

“Bitch?” Sunny offered.

“What, Kerena? No. She’s lovely.”

Sunny chuckled and rolled her eyes.


Canterlot — Golden peaks and gleaming streets. That’s if you believe the brochures anyway. But as anypony who’s lived here long enough knows; beneath the glamorous exterior, the beating heart of the city squirms and writhes unseen, like termites in the walls of a lavish chateau. And in my line of work, you spend more time in the sewers than the cinemas, but that’s where the crime is.

There’s a new rumour on the streets of a cover up by the royal guard. Sudden unexplained evacuation drills, reports of shouting and whistles and flares. Doesn’t sound like a drill to me. But we all know the official story is as good as a milk bucket under a bull.

I started to investigate a little; figured I’d poke my muzzle where it wasn’t invited. Spoke to this high-strung filly from the upper tier, says she was out that night. Good looking, legs for miles, but drew the short straw in the bright lights department. Could barely get a coherent thought from her that didn’t devolve into an irrational distaste for donut shop proprietors or the infirmed. Suffice to say, gal was crazier than a June Bug in July. Must be something they put in the water up there to make it sparkle.

So I sidled up to an old buddy of mine in the guard. A few drinks on me, and he’s normally good for a yarn or the local gossip. But he was as tight lipped as a burglar in a lemon tasting competition...

Percy leaned back in his chair, re-chewing the end of his pencil. “Burglar? Lemon tasting competition? Who tastes lemons? In a competition? There has to be a better simile,” he mumbled to himself.

Around him stacks of waiting and overdue paperwork crowded his desk like the crenellations of a battlement. A single desk lamp cast a warm pale glow, illuminating a small pool of light on his desk but it just served to bring contrast to the rest of the dim room and make it seem gloomier. The wall behind him was plastered with newspaper clippings and old photographs of ponies and places, held in place by a mismatched assortment of tacks and tape. Bars of striped sunlight filtered through the dirty windows and venetian blinds. They gave the office an overbearing tone of aged brown. A brass name plate sat, crooked, on the desk bearing the name of it’s owner. Detective Perception Check.

Percy let the pencil fall from his telekinesis onto the table and rubbed a knot in his neck with a groan while his other hoof further loosened his already loose tie.

*SLAM*

The blinds rattled as the door to the cramped office was flung open. Percy jumped to his hooves, knocking over his mug and spilling tepid coffee over his notebook and some of the scattered papers.

“Horsefeathers!” He swore and grabbed the nearest rag to dab the brown liquid staining his papers. “Gale! Would it kill you to knock first?”

The slate-grey pegasus mare regarded him with all the respect and empathy one might afford a sack of expired potatoes. “More cases from Ponyville,” she drawled in abject boredom.

She placed down yet another pile of papers on his desk. The tower teetered precipitously. His desk bore all the hallmarks of a losing battle.

Percy groaned. “What, more chickens? Seriously those earth ponies need to learn to build better fences. Those birds are practically suicidal and will run to the most dangerous place in Equestria if you let them. What am I supposed to do about it?”

Gale snorted, “I don’t know, Detective. Your job? It was your idea to advertise in the new rural settlements. There’s no sheriff in that town - so lucky you. Besides, it’s not just chickens.”

Percy raised an eyebrow and lent over the new stack of paper. He tugged one of the transcripts off the top. “A Sheep? I would hardly accuse a sheep of being overly burdened with intelligence. But they don’t usually go looking for trouble. Any witnesses?”

“It happened overnight. The other’s in the flock report of being spooked by noises and immediately fleeing the vicinity. When they came to a stop, one of them was gone,” Gale replied with all the mustered enthusiasm of a mouldy loaf of sourdough.

Percy scratched at the stubble on his chin. “Noises eh? Where was their pen?” he asked rhetorically, finding his answer further down the report. “Just outside of Ponyville.“ He glanced up Gale. Her dispassionate expression radiated a profoundly mirthless disposition. “Timberwolves maybe?” he asked.

Gale returned an unblinking, suffering look.

Percy glanced back at the report. “Hrm, you’re right, unusual for them to be subtle like that. Another monster from the forest perhaps?” He waved a hoof at Gale, “Can you grab me that copy of Monster-pedia? Thanks.”

Gale sighed and rolled her eyes before stepping out.

Percy grabbed the next report from the stack of papers and scanned it. After a short moment he picked up his pencil in a bubble of blue magic and began to scribble on his notepad. He paused and tapped the pencil. He let it fall and grabbed the canvas saddlebag he kept in the bottom of his filing cabinet – otherwise devoid of files of course. He stuffed his notebook and some writing tools into it. He looked around the room searching. “Now where did I put my” - he glanced at the coffee stained rag and groaned - “spare shirt.” He held up the bitter smelling threads and wrung them out with a twist of magic.

Gale walked back in with a thick tome tucked under her wing to see Percy wriggling into his brown, all-weather coat.

“Ah, good. Book me a ticket to Ponyville. Something doesn’t smell right about these reports.”


A tree whipped by, then another and another. The picturesque landscape flew past the train car window, Percy’s own reflection, a ghostly visage cast over the top. The detective glanced back at the dozen or so reports floating in front of him. He took his trusty pencil out of his coat pocket, and began to write in his notebook.

Case 72: The Absence of Evidence

Day 1.
My mother always said I had a nose for trouble. Mostly because I was usually in it. But something doesn’t smell right about these reports from Ponyville. It’s not unusual for chickens to go missing. The birds are practically suicidal, forever drawn to the forest areas. Who knows why. Sheep, however, are more than content with their simple lot and are fearful creatures who wouldn’t go within miles of the forest. The area is known to be home to a timberwolf population, but they usually stick to the forests, and can be scared away with loud noises. Not to mention, the warning stench of their breath would be apparent to anypony. Foul play perhaps? It seems a bit of a stretch, who would gain from such an act? So many questions. Well whatever the case, I’ll get to the bottom of it, and from the feel of it, there’s much more to this than meets the eye. I’ve been told I can find lodging at the local tavern. After that, we start asking our own questions.


Day 2.
Spoke to the owner of the chickens. Can’t say I expected to find much help here. The owner spoke of losing at least three hens over the last couple of weeks. No obvious signs of forced entry. The fences look intact. Either the hens have literally flown their coop or the perpetrator can use a gate. Monster types tend to avoid such inconveniences, so at least it looks like we don’t have any monsters from the forest to worry about at the moment.

Also spoke to the shepherd. He was quite distraught, apparently another of his flock went missing last night. At least I got to see the crime scene before it was trampled under hoof. The other flock members gave pretty much the same story as before. Frightful noises followed by panic, and another member lost. The lost member was an older ewe, probably slower than the rest. I inspected the pen. Again no signs of broken fences or forced entry. Crop lands and orchards back the property. Makes for an easy and inconspicuous access point. The shepherd has stated he’ll be starting a local vigil on the flock at night. Maybe we’ll get lucky and get an I.D. on the perp.

Side note: Asked the locals about an apparent abundance of ravens about. Most of the locals seem to shrug it off. Peculiarities of their local speciality. Some sort of magical apple. Still gives me the creeps.


Day 3.
No change at the Shepherd’s pens. The night vigil was without success, well, depending on your point of view. At least not towards capturing the perpetrator. No more sheep missing at least.

Apparently another chicken has gone missing, however. The poor mare is very distraught.

Decided to take a walk around the surrounding outskirts. All in all, it’s a pretty little place. Still growing, with more ponies coming all the time. Seems like it could be quite the hub eventually. Mostly an earth pony village; which brings with it, its share of pegasi to help with weather management. A few unicorns too as well. A bit more unusual, normally unicorns are too stuck up to rough it with the mud ponies. Not that that’s ever applied to me, I suppose. I think it’s quite a nice change from the cold marble of Canterlot. Mysterious missing animals and creepy crows notwithstanding.


Day 4.
Things have taken a turn for the worse. A dairy cow has gone missing, and I don’t think we’ll see it again. Similar M.O. to before. Frightful noises, followed by panic. One of the herd falls behind and never catches up. More evidence this time though, a pitiful consolation if ever there was. We grew up with stories of ponies and other critters being taken by monsters from the forests, you never expect to see one in your lifetime. Not in this day and age. It seems our monster couldn’t take a cow without being a bit less subtle. We’ve got clear blood stains, drag marks. Teeth and claw marks on the fence too. So much for the no-monsters theory. Looks like the pen was broken to allow the beast to withdraw with its prey. Although what possessed it to repair the fence afterwards perplexes me. What kind of villain, breaks into your home, murders one of your family, and then quietly repairs the locks on the way out – as if it were a courteous neighbour just borrowing a cup of sugar. Although I suppose, if the cows are trapped in their pen, it’ll be easier to find another meal later. A foreboding thought.

I’ve been flicking through the Monster-pedia looking for likely candidates. Until now, I’ve still been suspicious of the local timberwolf population. But with the locals experience in dealing with them, and with the now significantly larger prey. I’m starting to think Manticore, but only because of the strength required. To further add to my worries, no pony has seen as much as a furry paw of whatever’s doing this. If they can kill a cow, it’s easy to imagine a pony could fall prey too. If I come face to face with this thing I’ll...

Percy let out a sigh and dropped the pencil into the crook of his notebook. He lent back on the park bench and glanced at the Monster-pedia still turned to the page featuring a Manticore. He grunted with frustration, tossed the book on the ground and closed his eyes; covering his face with a hoof to clear his thoughts.

“Mother Grace says you should look after your books,” a tiny, sweet voice chastised him.

Peeking out from under his hoof he watched a little mint-coloured unicorn filly pick up the thick tome with her hooves – obviously her magic hadn’t come in to it’s own yet – and place it on the bench beside him.

“Whatcha reading?” she asked.

Percy reached down and closed the book. The cover displayed the title in a large bold font.
Monster-pedia: The definitive guide to the monsters of Equestria.

The little unicorn filly looked at the title and scrunched her nose. “Why are you reading that?”

Percy grinned conspiratorially. “Maybe I’m looking for a monster?”

The little filly hopped up onto the bench and let her legs swing free. Silence reigned for a brief, blissful moment. “Do you think wolves are monsters?”

Percy raised an eyebrow at the odd question. “Well of course they are.” With a flick of his magic he opened the book to the page on timberwolves.

Sugarmint looked at the page and made another cute, scrunchy face. “No. Not timberwolves, silly. Normal wolves.”

Percy raised the other eyebrow. “Normal wolves?”

Sugarmint reached into one of her saddlebags and pulled out a thin novel. A fairy tale. The cover showed a picture of little brown colt leading a small parade of animals. A little bird, a duck and a cat. The shadows of each creature distorted and combined into the silhouette of a wolf against a stone cliff backdrop. The shadow was caricatured of course. Coarse ragged fur, long sharp teeth, and a gleaming red eye set the whole tone of a stalking evil.

“How old are you? This seems a little… dark, for a filly your age.” He paused to read the small printed title. Children’s Stories from Stalliongrad. “That might explain it,” he groused to himself.

“I don’t think wolves are bad like that though. At least not all of them. The one we met was really nice.”

By this time Percy had run out of eyebrows to raise and so let his jaw gape instead. “Met?”

The minty unicorn fussed with her saddle bags, placing her book back inside. “Yeah, we met him about a moon ago. He saved Scarlet. She’s my sister.”

“And you think it was a wolf? Not a big dog or something?”

The filly hopped off the bench. “Well he was bigger than you.”

A blue pegasus colt ran up. His little wings flapped furiously – lengthening his stride. He slid to a halt in a four hoof skid. “Sugarmint, Sugarmint! Mother Grace wants us back for lunch. We’re having tacos!” he yelped, hopping in circles of wing assisted bouncing – ample evidence that he was enthusiastic about the prospect.

Percy hopped off the chair as well, sliding the Monster-pedia into his own saddlebag.

“Is this your brother?”

“Sort of. We all live at the mended tree orphanage,” she said.

Percy cringed. But if the foals were offended by it, they didn’t show it.

“C’mon c’mon, we don’t want to be late,” the little pegasus vibrated with unbridled passion for lunch. Practically pushing his ‘sister’ ahead of him.

“Bye, mister,” said Sugarmint.

“Uh, do you mind if I tagged along. I’d like to speak to your sister about the wolf if that’s ok?” Percy asked quickly.

Cloudbank stopped and glared back suspiciously.

“I promise I won’t eat any of your tacos,” Percy said, reassuringly.

Intentions assayed, Cloudbank resumed his brisk trot homeward. “Hrmm, Ok.”


“Yay, tacos!” the excitable blue pegasus jumped up onto one of the simple wooden benches that served as seating at the table.

Mother Grace scowled at her enthusiastic diner. “Now, Cloud, you wait for everyone else first.”

Sugarmint walked in. Mother Grace smiled at the sweet little filly. “There you are. Did you find a good book?”

Sugarmint beamed brightly, nodding. “Uh-huh,” she said and pulled out the grim story book from her bag.

The matron frowned at the title and picture. “A-are you sure this is what you want to read? I don’t want you getting nightmares.”

Sugarmint frowned. “It’s the only one I could find with wolves.”

Percy poked his head in. “I hope I’m not intruding.”

Mother Grace jumped with a start. “Oh, you scared me, Mister…”

“Check, but you can just call me Percy. I was hoping I could speak with you about some of your children here.”

Mother Grace brightened. “Oh of course.” The matron lent down and spoke quietly to Sugarmint. "Go put your things in your room, and tell Scarlet, 'lunch is ready'."

The unicorn filly disappeared into the back rooms of the house.

The matron led Percy into the adjacent lounge room.

“Pardon for the intrusion Madam. My name is Detective Perception Check. I was hoping to talk to you and Scarlet about some things.” Percy pulled out his notebook and pencil.

Scarlet trotted into the kitchen, trademark cart in tow. She pulled up to her space near the table.

Mother Grace poked her head into the kitchen. “Scarlet, dear, could you come here a moment. There’s somepony I’d like you to meet.”

Scarlet raised an eyebrow, and wheeled into the next room.

“Scarlet, I’d like you to meet Mr. Percy Check.”

Scarlet saw the strange stallion in the living room. She quickly straightened up with her best smile and took a deep breath. “Good afternoon Mr. Check. My name is Scarlet Dawn, I’m 13 years old. I like to run and play. I generally get along well with others, and am doing well in my studies at school. Even though I can’t walk like a normal pony. I’m completely self sufficient, so I don’t need any extra care.”

Mother Grace gave a sad apologetic smile. She lowered her head and quietly said, “Oh, no dear. I’m sorry, he’s not here about adoption. He’s a detective.”

“Oh, did I do something wrong?”

Percy cleared his throat, feeling more than a little uncomfortable by the disappointment shown in the lame filly’s expression. “Uh, no. Nothing wrong. I was just hoping I could talk to you about the past few weeks. Your ‘sister’ told me you met a wolf?"

Scarlet looked suspiciously at Mother Grace. The matron just gave her a nod of encouragement.

“Yes,” she said hesitantly.

“Can you tell me about the day you met it?”

Scarlet shrugged. “I met him at the markets, tied to a lamp post.”

“Tied to a lamp post? Like a pet?” asked Percy, scribbling furiously in his notebook.

“Yep. He was pretending to be Remedy’s pet.”

“Pardon, did you say ‘pretending’?”

“Yep.”

Percy wondered if it wasn’t just her legs that weren’t working, then banished the churlish thought. “Forgive me, but why would a wolf ‘pretend’ to be a pony’s pet?”

Scarlet shrugged. “Why else, I suppose. Most ponies wouldn’t react well to a wolf.”

Percy blinked at the ridiculously simple, but hard to argue reasoning. “Well, yes, of course. I suppose.”

Percy straightened up and addressed the matron. “Is this true?”

“I’m sorry, the children all swear it’s a wolf. But I don’t know much about such things. I do know he was very large and looked like a dog, and that he saved her.”

“Sugarmint mentioned he was large too. How large would you say he was?”

The matron pondered for a moment as if evaluating her memory for the first time. “Oh, I’d say he’d stand taller than most stallions.”

Percy gave a concerned frown. “And this Remedy?”

The matron smiled brightly. “Oh she’s lovely. She’s the local medicine girl. Lives south of Ponyville about 10 miles.”

“Well thank you, Miss Grace and Miss Dawn. You’ve been a great help. I’ll leave you to your delicious smelling tacos.”

“You said you wouldn’t eat any,” the pegasus called out warningly from the dining room.

“Cloudbank! Manners!” scolded Mother Grace.

Percy chuckled. “It’s all right Miss Grace. A deal’s a deal.” He tipped his hat and turned to leave.

“Mr Check?”

Percy paused and glanced back at Scarlet.

“Faolan may be a wolf. But he saved my life, and he’s my friend.”

Percy hesitated, then gave her a smile and nod, and stepped out.


Day 5.
This village keeps getting stranger. Met some of the local children yesterday. Cute kids, but not cute enough to make me consider a herd of my own. All of them swear they saw a wolf in town. Their “mother” said it was just a large dog – biggest dog I’ve ever heard of. Sounds more like the size of an orthros. Speaking of which; seems there was a circus in town around the same time, said to have some exotic predators as part of the attraction. Maybe one of them escaped? I’ll have to follow up on that later.

Followed up on the dog lead (ha), went south of Ponyville to where this girl Remedy lives. Pretty thing, but her father works the fields down there. He gave me a stare that could chill a yak. I’d feel sorry for the poor chap who’d attempt to take her out for dinner. She was also very evasive. Dodged nearly every question on the wolf subject. Stopped short of straight out denying it. Only said he was gone now, and didn’t expect to see him again. It was clear as crystal she was hiding something, but she wasn’t giving up any information. Kind of creeped me out all the blades she had too. Scythes and sorts. No doubt needed for her profession, but there’s just something unsettling about a pretty young mare with an arsenal.

I think I’ll follow up on that circus lead. Not getting anywhere with the wolf angle at the moment.

Side note: Damn crows everywhere still, I reckon there could even be more now than earlier in the week.


Day 6.
Ye Olde Canterlot. The old girl has a certain magic to her. Regal towers and opulence galore. That’s the upper tiers at least. But even the fanciest of places needs an army of ponies to keep it running. And those ponies need somewhere to live. Also food and entertainment befitting their tastes. For this reason I suspect, the circus has come to Canterlot. But it now stands temporarily closed in the stadium, surrounded by the blue collar folk who keep Canterlot nice and fanciable for the tourists and rich aristocracy in their exorbitant manors.

Frustratingly, the folks at the circus were possibly more evasive than that mare from Ponyville. Had to flash quite a bit of gold to get to somepony who knew anything at all and I’m not talking about a badge. Apparently the ringmaster was unavailable for comment. Finally talked to somepony near the beast pens. It seems the circus was closing and all of their creatures were being relocated back to the forest. All were currently accounted for, they did indeed have an orthros, but it was still there in its cage. Tried to speak to their animal handler but he was in the hospital. Apparently there was an issue with one of the beasts a couple of weeks back, training went badly or some such. Might have had something to do with that rumour about the Royal Guard cover up. I’ll have to make a cordial visit to the hospital.

I really hate hospitals. To me they’re more a place where the pitiful and sickly gather, than a place where somepony goes to get better. Can’t say I haven’t spent my share of time in one though. This circus beast handler seemed to share a similar opinion. At least he was a bit more forthcoming with details and the plot indeed, thickens. Seems one of their beasts (a wolf no less) escaped during a training session, but not before killing the ringmaster, and severely injuring him. This triggered a city wide hound hunt by the Royal Guard. That answers the case of the rumours at least. Now here’s the interesting part, the circus only caught this wolf a day before the accident. Seems they rushed the training, caught it on the road to Canterlot from Ponyville about the same time the fillies placed the “wolf” in Ponyville. Now in my profession you don’t get the luxury of coincidences. So now I’m sitting outside the Office of the Captain of the Royal Guard. Can’t say I actually expected to get an audience. Hopefully my remaining questions can be answered this afternoon. Ah, I’m being called in. Let’s see how this goes…

Well that was unexpected. The captain took a keen interest in my investigations. In fact; I’m pretty sure it was me being interrogated there. In the end he didn’t really answer any of my questions at all. Something doesn’t smell right. Looks like more investigating in the morning then, but for now, sleep.


Day 7.
Celestia tie me up and spank me till I call her mommy. I’ve been fucked.

Walked into my office this morning just as they were finishing. They’d tipped everything upside down, all my notes and reports gone. Every drawer emptied. They fucking trashed the place. Bunch of blank flanks from a department that doesn’t exist and where questions are disciplined. I’ve heard about these mobs before, almost an urban legend. Special units that operate with full autonomy and accountable only to the princess. I’ve really stepped on a hornets nest here. Gale was pretty shaken up, which speaks volumes on its own. We’ve both decided that now was a good time to use that holiday leave. Got out of there quick smart, only managed to keep this notebook with me. Something is going on in Ponyville and somepony knows it and doesn’t want anypony else to know. I think I’m out of my league.

Author's Note:

Thanks to Jay Tarrant for proof-reading.