• Published 5th Mar 2019
  • 540 Views, 95 Comments

The Carnivore Council - CreativeOverflow



As the Everfree forest is cleared to make room for another new pony settlement, the current guardians of the forest are driven to confront their growing hunger.

  • ...
4
 95
 540

Chapter 9

Sunlight filtered through the crowded treetops, the morning dew still evaporating in the warming air. Remedy and Faolan walked along a familiar trail, a large bundle of darkbell and other herbs strapped to her back.

“Nope, you’re not getting out of this one.” Remedy teased.

“It was merely the atmosphere, a trick of the wind, you’re getting carried away. Are you sure you don’t want help carrying all that?” Faolan questioned, taking a sudden interest in the burdens of the small pony.

Remedy stepped sideways to stave off any attempt made by the wolf to take her wares. “Uh-uh, don’t change the subject. You were making some serious googly eyes at her, and it wasn’t the ‘Atmosphere’. It wasn’t just then either. I saw you looking at her back at the den. It’s clear you have some serious ulterior motives.”

Faolan looked away, a slight blush colouring his coat. Remedy grinned like a hyena. “Ha, the mouth can fib but face doesn’t lie. The truth!” she demanded.

Faolan growled in frustration, deciding it was probably better to put doubt to rest lest this torment last their entire journey. “Fine, yes. I’m intoxicated by her, she drives me to madness. But with our troubles and generally running the clan, I don’t have the time or energy for a courtship. Besides, she is already in training to become an acolyte under Ulrica.”

“Finally, some honesty. The rest of that sob story sounds like an excuse though.” said Remedy, dismissing his concerns.

“Well what about you then? Have you already found a mate? Seeing as you would profess to such wisdom in matters of the heart.” Faolan countered.

Remedy blushed at the sudden turn-a-bout, “Ah, well… I…”

“Ha, now it is your face that betrays you! You hesitate, is it unrequited? Or perhaps still unprofessed?” Faolan pressed, taking any opportunity to seize the advantage.

Remedy turned up her nose and let out an annoyed huff, “Hrmph, If you’re going to participate in Pony society, you’re going to have to learn some rules. A gentlecolt never pries into a young mare’s affairs.”

Faolan grinned, “Ah, but I am no colt! That makes me exempt, and who’s avoiding questions now!”

Remedy let out an offended whinny, “Speaking of that, when did this become about me? I’d like to know…”

Faolan stopped mid stride and hushed her. His ears twitched forward and he sniffed the air. “There’s a number of ponies just ahead. It’s probably your rescue party.” He whispered quietly.

Remedy lit up with excitement. “Well let’s go meet them.”

A stern look from Faolan stayed her advance. “Perhaps some caution would be prudent, I don’t want to scare anyone.”

Remedy looked at the wolf, it was funny how he no longer seemed scary any more, in fact it was hard to even imagine it. Yet she had to concede his point.

“Fair enough…”

The two crept up to the hushed conversation and dull thump of hoofbeats. Two guard ponies, one a unicorn, the other a pegasus stood talking to another group of civilians. The earth ponies and pegasi who worked the farms were all present readying for another foray into the forest. Over to the side, Provender sat with a blanket around his slumped shoulders holding a mug of coffee. He looked weak, his mane and fur were matted and unkept. Dark black circles hung under his bleary eyes, and his shoulders were hunched making him look about 20 years too old. A pony with a white bandanna and red cross strapped around her foreleg was trying to console him.

Among the ponies, many were armed with machetes and other improvised weapons. Provender’s own trusty axe sat next to him.

Remedy looked at Faolan with concern. “Um, listen Faolan. It might be better if I meet them alone. It might take awhile to get them used to the idea of you. Wait on the edge of the forest, I’ll come back for you later in the afternoon.”

“Hmm, yes, perhaps that would be best.”

Remedy smiled at Faolan. She slipped the bundle off her back, and stuffed the council seal in amongst the precious herbs. With a final nod to the wolf she stepped into the clearing.

“Dad?” she spoke meekly, as if trying to soften the surprise.

Provender’s head snapped up. On seeing Remedy the cup slipped, forgotten, from his hooves. All the other ponies stood and stared in shock.

Remedy smiled gently at her father, tears welling in the corners of her eyes.

Provender gasped, tears choking his breath at the miraculous sight. “Remedy…” he whispered, fearful the illusion might be frightened away.

“Dad…” Remedy smiled. Inside her a dam broke and tears began to pour down her face.

Provender pounced from his seat, the blanket flying off. He ran to meet his daughter and collided in a tight embrace. Provender sobbed openly, and Remedy, though smiling, cried with him.

“Oh Remedy, I thought I’d lost you.”

“I’m alright Dad, it’s going to be alright.”

A cacophonous cheer erupted in the clearing, all the ponies gathering around to see the joyful reunion. Provender finally released his daughter, holding her at length to examine her. “Are you alright? You’re not hurt anywhere?”

Remedy smiled reassuringly, “I’m ok, Dad. I’m not hurt.” Her assertions still failed to dissuade the medical pony from performing a full inspection on the spot.

“What happened to you!?”

“It’s a long story, “ Remedy began, “I was attacked by…”

A high pitched whine grew louder overhead.

“Reeeeeemeeeedyyyyyyyyy!”, a bright yellow bolt crashed from the sky tackling Remedy. Sunny bawled openly, tears streaming down her own face. “You’re all right!” her voice straining out between the wracking sobs, “I thought you were de-eh-ead.”

Remedy smiled and patted Sunny on the head, “There there, I’m all right, see?” Remedy leant back holding her forelegs out to show no injury.

Sunny continued to cling, holding tighter than ever, “Where did you go? Why did you go?”

“Alright alright, there will be time for explanations later. If you all don’t mind. I’d like to get out of the forest now, and I’d love a cup of tea.” Remedy continued to stroke the whimpering mare’s mane.

Provender helped Remedy to her feet, separating Sunny from her would have required an exorcist and a crowbar, so no one tried. The crowd of ponies moved out of the forest along the old path back towards the homestead.

A surreal silence descended on the once noisy clearing. Faolan inspected the bundle of Darkbell left behind. Silhouetted against the bright daylight outside the forest, he watched the noisy group recede into the distance.


“I won’t allow it! As Celestia is my witness I won’t let you go near that forest.” Provender shouted, pacing agitated up and down the room.

Remedy sat beside Sunny on a sofa, a cup of tea in hoof. “Dad, I made a promise. Wasn’t it you that taught me how important it is to keep your word?”

“A promise to a wolf means nothing!” Provender snapped desperately, “Aren’t you forgetting that they attacked you first? What’s to say they won’t change their mind and kill you as soon as you enter the forest. You’ve escaped, what makes you think they’ll let you go again?”

“Faolan isn’t like that. He wouldn’t hurt anypony,” Remedy pleaded.

“And you trust this wolf!? Have you forgotten what they did to Natara?”

Remedy looked away ashamed, “Of course I haven’t.”

“I don’t understand why you have to help them,” Sunny interjected, “they’d as soon eat us all and if what you say is correct, they’re hungrier than ever and even more bold and desperate. I don’t want to see you get hurt”

Provender stopped his pacing and walked over to Remedy, he placed a hoof on Remedy’s cheek and looked her in the eyes. “Remedy, I can’t risk losing you again.” Painful memories forced him to look away. “After your mother died, you were all that I had left. You were what kept me going. You gave me the strength to go on. To till the packed earth and endure the harsh winters. If I lost you too…” Provender shut his eyes, and clenched his jaw.

Sunny reached over and placed a hoof on his foreleg. “Remedy, how about we all sleep on it? You’ve only just come back to us. Your wolf can wait till the morning.

Remedy looked to her friend and her father. She sighed in defeat, “Alright, I suppose one night can’t hurt.”

“See there, that wasn’t so bad. You both need an early night. Mr Bale, you haven’t slept in two days. You need to rest too. We don’t want you getting sick now. I’ll sleep on the couch here tonight, so you won’t have to worry about Remedy running off.” Sunny smiled, gently squeezing both their hooves.

“Now go on you two. I don’t want to hear another complaint.”

Provender gave Remedy a hug, and kissed her on the forehead.

Remedy turned and hugged Sunny, “Thanks for everything Sunny.”

Sunny beamed brightly, “Now Dee, don’t you worry ‘bout a thing. You just go to sleep now, and I’m sure everything will be clearer in the morning.”

Remedy stepped into her room and smiled back at Sunny. “Night Sunny.”

“Goodnight Dee.”


Weak moonlight streamed in through the thin curtains covering the window and bathed the simple well kept furnishings in a shadowy silver hue. The window fogged from hot breath, followed by the sound of claws scratching on wood. Remedy, scrunched her nose and murmured in her sleep.

*TAP TAP TAP* the sound of a claw on glass rapped at the window.

Remedy cracked a weary eye open.

*TAP TAP TAP* the incessant noise continued.

Remedy groaned out of bed and ambled over to the window. She pushed the thin curtains aside only to stare in shock as Faolan sat outside with her bouquet of Darkbell and the council seal around his neck.

She quickly pushed the window open. “What are you doing here!?” she whispered angrily, taking the bundle of plants from his mouth, “I told you I’d come back for you!”

“You said you’d be back in the afternoon. That was hours ago.” Faolan retorted.

“Ugh, I didn’t say WHICH afternoon.” Remedy excused lamely.

“Besides you left your seal behind, so I thought you might be scared to come back.”

Remedy glanced around the moonlit farm, thankfully there didn’t seem to be anyone about. “Never mind, hurry up and get inside before anyone sees you.”

Faolan easily leapt up to the window, gracefully perching on the sill before stepping down into the room.

“Remedy? Are you alright in there, I thought I heard talking?”

Remedy and Faolan froze.

“Quick, get out!” Remedy hissed at Faolan, pushing the wolf back towards the sill.

“Wait...what?” Faolan stumbled back confused.

“Uh nothing Dad, I was just talking in my sleep.” Remedy tried to sound calm as she tried to force the larger wolf back through her window.

“You sound out of breath, are you sure you’re alright?”

Faolan tried to reverse out the window, but his hind leg slipped causing him to straddle either side of the sill. “Ow, Remedy, I can’t…”

“Is that growling?” said Provender, concern growing in his voice, “Remedy, I’m coming in.”

“No Dad, don’t…”

Provender opened the door, and everyone froze. The scene was hopelessly compromised. Remedy appeared to be trying to push a large wolf back out the window. Faolan tried to smile innocently, but all Provender saw was his teeth.

“This isn’t what it looks like…” Remedy tried to explain, but Provender had already ducked out of view back up the hall. Faolan and Remedy glanced at each other in confusion for a moment, before Provender’s silhouette stepped back into the doorway.

“You blood stained spawn of Tartarus! You will NOT hurt her anymore!” Provender reared up, wood axe brandished in hoof.

“Oh shit.” was the sum extent of Faolan’s diatribe before Remedy dropped him right on his chin.

She ran up to her father, waving her forelegs. “No, stop. He’s not going to hur-”

With a single powerful motion, Provender swept Remedy into the hall behind him, ignoring her pleas.

“I won’t let you take another life ever again,” his tirade continued, “your reign of terror ends TONIGHT!”

Provender gave a blood curdling cry and charged at the wolf.

“NOOO!” Remedy screamed.

Faolan scrambled to untangle his legs and jumped out of the way just as the axe head came down where his used to be. The floor board exploded into a storm of splinters. Faolan leapt onto the bed, his back pressed into the corner. In one fluid motion, Provender withdrew the axe from the hole where the floor used to be and swung it over his head. Faolan dodged to the side. The mattress caved and the bed frame cracked and buckled under the force of the blow.

“REMEDY, MAKE HIM STOP!” barked Faolan.

The axe whirled around again in a wide sweep. Fury burning in Provender’s eyes. Faolan flattened himself against the bed and the axe whistled overhead, embedding itself deep into a stud in the wall. A web of plaster cracks sprawled away from the impact point. Before Provender could unwedge the axe, Faolan clamped his jaws around the handle. With a crack, the axe broke free from the wall, Provender and Faolan wrestled for control of the blade. The wolf had the size advantage over the stallion, but the ponies unnatural strength could not be measured by his stature. Provender roared in paternal rage, shoving the wolf against the wall, axe still clamped in his jaws. Faolan didn’t dare let go. With a mighty strain, Provender lifted the wolf up by the axe handle and with a powerful throw he flung the wolf over his head and slammed him into a dresser. Bright lights exploded in Faolan’s vision. The wolf groggily looked up in time to see the axe draw back above the angry fathers head. Suddenly a flash of pink, crimson and gold obscured his view.

“STOP!” Remedy screamed, she stood over Faolan, protecting him with her body.

Provender yelled back, “Move, I’m going to kill the mongrel!”

Remedy held her position defiantly, “NO, STOP! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?”

Provender continued unabated, “Don’t you see! This monster has come to take you back to the forest. To finish the job, to KILL YOU!”

“Look around you! Who’s the monster here!?” Remedy shouted back.

Provender, still breathing heavily, glanced around the room. The brutal aftermath now apparent. The bed, frame shattered, sagged limply in the middle. Half a floor board was missing entirely, and a giant wedge shaped hole stood in the center of a wall stud, the plaster around it sprawling with cracks like a giant spider web. A small trickle of blood dripped from the edge of the dresser.

“He wasn’t trying to hurt me. I told him I’d meet up with him after I’d explained everything, and when I didn’t show up, he came looking for me.”

Provender slowly lowered the axe. The rage slowly draining from his eyes.

“What’s all the noise?” murmured Sunny standing in the doorway rubbing the sleep from her eyes. She took a moment to survey the carnage inside the room. Remedy leaned down to check the unconscious wolf.

“Whoa! Did I miss something?”


Three ponies sat around a dim lantern in the lounge room. Each nursing a cup of tea. Provender sat in his chair near the door to the shop, his axe still next to him, and a whetstone on the table in front. Remedy sat opposite staring at her cup in silent contemplation. Sunny sat nervously on a chaise lounge set against the wall between the two brooding kin.

Remedy took a deep breath, deciding to break the silence. “As long as his injury isn’t too severe, I plan to leave tomorrow for Canterlot.”

Provender immediately protested, “Why must you leave? You’ve only just come back. Can’t somepony else go with him?”

Remedy shook her head. “A wolf isn’t going to get anywhere near the castle unannounced, and I’m the only one who can understand him. It has to be me.”

“Well then, I’m coming with you.”

“No. I don’t think Faolan would be too excited about his attempted murderer travelling with him. And I don’t want you promoting your attempt to a success. I’ve spent 3 days in the Everfree forest, and Faolan protected me there. So I think we can handle a casual 2 day hike to Canterlot."

“I don’t like seeing you in danger like this.” Provender pleaded.

“Yes, well, you’ll have to endure. Even you can agree that a peaceful accord with the entire predator population of the Everfree is in everyone’s best interest and you half killing the Alpha of one of the wolf clans isn’t helping.”

“Well, I’m going.” Declared Sunny.

Remedy smiled sweetly at the eager Pegasus. “Thanks Sunny, but I really don't need protecting. If Faolan had wanted me dead. I wouldn’t be here talking to you now.”

“Who said anything about protecting you? If he goes woolly I’m throwing you in front! I just think this will be a boatload of fun.”

Provender groaned. “That isn’t at all reassuring.”

A loud knocking rapped through the darkened house.

“Who in Tartarus is that at this hour!?” exclaimed Provender.

The knocking started again, more insistent this time. Sunny leaped off her couch. “I’ll get it!” she said and darted down the hall into the shop front.

Provender and Remedy looked at each other in confusion.

Urgent muffled voices could be heard at the door as Sunny greeted the unknown guest, followed by the sound of rapidly approaching hoofbeats.

A blue and white pegasus stallion burst into the lounge room. “REMEDY! Thank Celestia you’re all right!” Tradewind stood in the doorway, panting and out of breath. His mane was messy and windswept, and his coat drenched in sweat.

“Trade? I thought you were away…” Remedy hopped up surprised to see the young stallion.

Trade closed the distance and wrapped his forelegs around her, “I flew here straight from Baltimare as soon as news reached me. Are you alright? Was it true?"

Remedy laughed quietly, trying to console the trembling colt. “Yes I’m fine. And if you mean, was I trapped in the Everfree forest for 3 days, then yes, that’s true too.”

Sunny trotted back into the lounge and settled back onto the daybed.

Trade pressed his forehead against Remedy’s. “My father told me to stay, but not for all the scones in the Griffin kingdoms could I obey. The moment the letter arrived, I could only think of you.”

Sunny’s eyes dilated and she pressed her forehooves against her cheeks, desperately trying to restrain a "squee".

Remedy closed her eyes and returned the nuzzle, “I thought of you too while I was trapped. Thought of what I might miss if I didn’t return.”

Tradewind looked deep into her eyes, then kissed her.

Sunny, wings flared, leaned forward eagerly fixated on the scene before her.

Remedy, dazed and half-lidded, slowly broke the kiss with an exhale and gently pushing Trade back. “Trade, wait.”

Sunny fell off the couch with a dull thump and muffled squeak.

Trade smirked at the yellow pegasus. “What, Sunny? I don’t care, let her watch. She’d probably peep anyway.”

Remedy looked sheepishly at Trade, “Er-hrm. No, not Sunny…”

*SCHLICKT*

The sound sent a cold shiver up Trades spine. Dousing the spark of his libido.

*SCHLICKT*

Remedy backed away with an apologetic smile.

*SCHLICKT*

Trade slowly turned around.

Sitting in his large brown chair, Provender drew the whetstone over his axehead one final time. The lingering ring of the metal hung in the air like a forgotten song. The candle light cast ominous black shadows over his form as he sat completely still, staring at the young colt. The light cast a dark shadow over his face, only an occasional wicked glint from one eye, a reflection of the flame and his intent. The axe head’s now razor sharp edge, polished to a mirror finish, trapped the fragile light and its length glowed with inappropriate keenness.

With slow but steady gravity Provender returned the stone to its cradle and leant back, crossing his hooves over the axe in his lap.

The silence was excruciating. Trade’s breath was shallow and rapid.

Provender smiled wickedly at the intimidated pony. “Tradewind, I presume?”

The words were quiet, but sounded like they had echoed off mountains. They punctured the silence like iron nails driven by heavy mallet and muscle. Tradewind swore he could feel each one prick his skin.

Tradewind glanced at Remedy looking for reassurance.

Remedy sat calmly as if this was the most normal thing in the world. She smiled and gave him a little encouraging nod.

Tradewind realised this was a battle he had to fight alone. He turned back to face Provender who was waiting patiently for his answer.

“Ye.. *cough*” Trade realised his throat was as dry as a Saddle Arabian desert. He cleared his throat and retried, “Yes sir.”

Provender smiled. It was in all respects, a perfectly nice smile, but it made the hairs on Tradewind's neck bristle.

“You’re the son of that merchant pony I hear about. I hear he’s done well for himself.”

“Er... Yes sir. The Trade family has always advocated hard work.”

Provender nodded sagely in approval. The earth pony leaned forward. The hard days of manual labour had crafted his body into a powerful muscular build. Not the kind of muscle that obscenely bulged for show and no substance. A more subtle kind. The kind that knew its strength, didn’t require external affirmation and was completely comfortable in the knowledge of all it was capable of doing. The pitiful light from the candle cast shadows emphasising curves you wouldn’t even notice in bright light.

Provender stood, axe gripped in one hoof. He towered over the young colt. Trade stood perfectly still. In some part to hide his fear. But mostly because he was afraid any action might provoke a response from the axe wielding stallion.

Provender walked up to the pony and draped a foreleg over his withers. The foreleg still holding the axe. He turned the colt around to face Remedy. He gestured to his daughter with the axe.

“Pretty, isn’t she.”

Remedy blushed a little.

Tradewind knew he was being led, like a moth to flame. “Ye..Yes she is.”

“And I’m thinking you’ve got a bit of a soft spot for her?” Provender continued.

Tradewind hesitated.

“Now don’t lie to me son. I was young once too, and I am neither blind nor stupid.” Provender warned.

“Yes sir, I...love her.” Tradewind confessed.

Remedy smiled, her pink coat failing to hide the growing blush on her cheeks. She studied the floor in embarrassment. Sunny barely stifled another excited “squee” with her hooves.

Provender smiled, “I also love my daughter very much and have all sorts of ideas how she can be happy. Unfortunately, she also has ideas of her own. Now I like to think of myself as an understanding father, and I know she is old enough to make her own decisions and she has the strength to bear their consequences. So what right do I have to stop her?”

Tradewind glanced at the deceptively friendly stallion “N..None?”

“Quite right.” Provender nodded. “The only decisions I can make are my own. And likewise, you my boy can only make your own decisions. But with all decisions come consequences. So in celebration of this budding romance, I’ll share a little family wisdom.“

Provender leaned in close and lowered his voice. “If your decisions result in the consequence of my daughter being hurt. Well then… I’ll execute my own decision, and it will have consequences too. But look on the bright side, you could join the royal harem.”

Trade cocked an eyebrow in confusion but Provender leaned down and whispered directly into his ear so the girls couldn’t hear.

“I hear only geldings are allowed.”

Provender patted a mortified Tradewind on the flank with the flat of his axe to accent his point.

Provender stood back upright, turned around and placed his axe in its scabbard before he continued, “Now the hour has grown very late indeed and I think we’ve all had enough excitement for one night. Perhaps Remedy, you could help the boy find his way out. It may have slipped his mind.”

Tradewind hadn’t moved. His eyes were wide, and his coat looked paler than usual. An astonishing feat considering his white coat. Remedy gave Tradewind a reassuring pat on the back. “C’mon, Trade, I’ll walk you out.”

Sunny laid on her back and giggled in a gluttony of content. Thoroughly satisfied with the evening's entertainment.

Author's Note:

Special thanks to proof-reader Jay Tarrant for uncovering my more egregious punctuation and spelling errors