• Published 12th Dec 2011
  • 4,560 Views, 93 Comments

Friendship is Survival - Shrpsho0ter



Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and Applejack have to survive along with Bill in Fairfield, Pennsylvania

  • ...
4
 93
 4,560

You Know What I Don't Hate? Ponies

Twilight Sparkle had been studying right next to her favorite window that day, the one that faced the countryside in the direction of Princess Celestia’s castle. The sun had been shining brightly, straight up in the middle of the sky where it belonged at this time of day. She looked up when she heard her baby dragon assistant, Spike, call up from behind her.

“Yo, Twi. Where do you want these scrolls?” Twilight took a moment to think of a place to put them, then finally thought of a location.

“Here, give them to me.” Twilight glowed her horn, and proceeded to lift the scrolls in Spike’s hands, as Spike tensed his hands to prepare for the magic. “I think you deserve a break anyway.” Spike proceeded to walk over to the book Twilight had been studying.

“‘Are There Realities Other than Ours?’” Spike turned around to face Twilight, who had popped up right in front of his face. “Dude, that’s creepy. Back up a bit.” Twilight did so. “Anyway, why this book? It seems so weird. Do you really think that there are other realities out there?”

“Cheerilee recommended it to me. I thought it sounded interesting. Besides, I haven’t read it yet and you know I have to read every book I can get my hooves on. It explains that there could be other realities called ‘parallel universes’. I haven’t gotten very far, but from what I can understand, there is an unlimited amount of realities out there. In each reality, there’s something different that sets it apart from every other reality. It also gives a simile how they’re like snowflakes; no two realities are the same. Every possibility is out there. Anything you can think of, it probably exists.’

“So you’re telling me there’s an unlimited amount of realities where I’m going out with...with...Rarity?!?” Spike started drooling at that thought, but quickly stopped himself. “Of course, that probably means there are unlimited amounts of realities out there, including this one, that I don’t go out with Rarity.”

“Yes Spike, you’re correct. There are unlimited amounts of realities. However, we are unable to visit them, at least in our lifetime, so don’t get your hopes up. It could be that in alternate realities they’ve already discovered how to visit other realities. But not in ours.” Twilight smiled at Spike at that statement.

“Oh. I understand, Twi. I’ll see you later. I gotta go back to my date with my pillow.” Spike started walking away, yawning as usual. Twilight walked up past Spike to her book as Spike was going back to his napping. Twilight snuck a glance outside the window, surveying the distant countryside. She could see Sweet Apple Acres from here. Twilight was about to turn around when she glanced a look outside the window, and saw a big flash of light in her peripheral vision, to her left. She tried looking for the source of, but it seemed it was behind Applejack’s apple trees. The flash of light disappeared as soon and as fast as it appeared, but it was the brightest thing Twilight had ever seen. Twilight decided to investigate.

Twilight walked down to the library’s door, after preparing her magic spells, just in case, and grabbing a snack for the road. She opened the door to find Pinkie Pie and Rarity, poised, as they were about to knock. They both had their saddlebags ready, like they were about to go on a trip. Rarity was the first to respond.

“You saw that heavenly light too, Twilight?” Twilight nodded her head. “Oh my, then I’m not seeing things.”

“Hey! I saw it too, Rarity, you silly filly. Are you calling me loco in the coco?”

“To be honest, my dear, you tend to perceive situations oddly. You could have just seen a unicorn’s spell for all you know. But I know what I saw. This was bigger then a simple unicorn’s spell. And I’m prepared to investigate. I can see you were about to depart as well, Twilight.”

“I was actually about to get you both. I was scared to go find the cause of the light alone, in case of something dangerous. Have you gotten the others?”

“I tried to, Twilight. Fluttershy wasn’t home, Big Macintosh said he hasn’t seen Applejack since this morning at breakfast, and you know very well I can’t check if Rainbow Dash was home.” Rarity indicated her wingless body as she said this. “If she was working I can’t interfere with her official weather duties anyhow. So it appears just to be us on this investigation.”

“Okie Dokie Lokie. Let’s go!” Pinkie set off with an unusual enthusiasm, hopping up and down with all four hooves like normal, not unlike her usual cheerfulness one bit. Rarity and Twilight followed her. They took their time, getting to the spot where they saw the light around sunset. When they got there, the things they saw would change their perspective on life as they knew it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"-camera,” finished Zoey as she came into existence in this new world. She looked around, wondering how she had gotten into this strange place, and remembered the “camera” that Francis had been tinkering with before the flashing light. She saw Francis and Louis, and thought that whatever had happened, they had experienced the same thing as her. The bright surroundings scared her as well, compared to the dreary and dark laboratory she had been in before. “Uh, guys, where are we?” Louis and Francis shrugged, and quickly reached for their holsters for their guns, remembering the zombie outbreak. At least, where their guns had been, until they took them out back in the laboratory, right before they were about to sleep.

“Shit. Wish we didn’t set our guns down.” Louis said as he took in more of the surrounding than Zoey did, not just looking at the weather, but actually looking around and noticing little things. He saw there were some targets nearby, with bullet holes. He walked over, inspected the holes, and found the freshly fired bullets in the targets. He had fired enough at the firing range to know they were fresh. “Hey guys! These bullets are fresh! There must be survivors near here! But why would they be shooting bullets at targets?” Zoey and Francis made their way over there, shrugging at Louis’ question, and to go inspect the holes for themselves. Louis backed away to give them room to investigate.

Louis took this time to really take in the surroundings. He saw a town in the far distance, with bright colors and...colorful horses? No, he must have been seeing things. Why would there be colorful horses in a town with a bright color scheme? Unless...

“I think you’re right Louis! I ain’t no scientist, but these bullets smell like they were fired a while ago. They don’t look like a very big caliber. Must have been some pistols. Whoever these guys were, they did a very shitty job at aiming. At least, the ones in the middle and the far one over there.” He pointed at the target, that if standing from the path, would be on the right. “The last one seems like they did a fine hell of a job.”

“Way to go, Francis! Who knew you were such a genius when it came to guns?” Zoey clapped for him.

“Just don’t mention it to Bill, or else he’ll...wait a second, where is Bill? I don’t see the geezer anywhere.” They all looked around for Bill, unsuccessfully finding him. “Jesus Christ, do you think he’s...?”

“Don’t think that way, man. He’s survived this long, I’m sure he’ll survive without us for a little while.” Louis forgot what he was thinking about earlier. He still scanned the horizon, possibly looking for the people who had shot the bullets, or just looking and seeing if he could see anybody at all. He spotted a farm, possibly an apple farm with all the trees around it. “Anyway, nothing to do here but wait.”

“Now just wait a second there, Louis. What makes you think we have to wait here? Just because we don’t have guns doesn’t mean we can’t fight.” Francis punched his fist into his other hand at this statement.

“For one thing, we’re in a different place than before. When we were in the laboratory, it was nighttime. Here, it’s about noon, if you haven’t noticed. Second, you realize that punching zombies won’t kill them, right? At least, not until you punch them about a hundred times. What happens if there’s a whole horde of them while we’re moving? Third, I’m tired as hell. We need to sleep here, even if it is daytime.” Francis didn’t argue with that. He had about 2 more hours left in him, before he would collapse and fall asleep. He just nodded his head in agreement.

“We’ll take shifts for watch, then. Since you’re so eager, you can take first shift. I’ll take second shift, and Zoey can take third shift. We’ll sleep about 6 hours total, each shift covering two hours. You can take my watch. When the little hand is two big marks ahead of where it is currently, wake me up. Don’t go off of what the time actually is.” Louis actually looked at his watch, and realized that it had died. “Scratch that. When you feel two hours has passed, wake me up. If I wake up and it turns out that it hasn’t been two hours, I will hit you.” Normally, Francis wouldn’t be scared of threats from Louis, but today, he was in a good mood, due to the new atmosphere that he had been placed in. It was just so sunny and cheerful, and actually gave Francis a smile on the inside.

“I’ll do it, Louis. It’ll give me more time to think about what’s going on.” Louis ignored the possibility of making a joke about Francis thinking(or lack of), and continued.

“Alright then. We’ll use those bales of hay as pillows. Good day, Francis.” Louis and Zoey proceeded to set up their little sleeping quarters, and fell asleep. When Louis woke up, he immediately noticed it was a lot darker. He guessed that it was sunset, and looked up to see that it was indeed sunset. He looked over and saw Zoey and Francis sleeping. He thought he could see something protruding from their backs...wings, maybe? If they were wings, Zoey’s were a light yellow, and Francis’ were teal. But they couldn’t be wings, they didn’t have those before they went to sleep. Did they? Louis couldn’t remember. All he knew was, he might be going crazy.

“Damnit Francis, I thought you would have been able to stay awake,” Louis whispered under his breath. “At least everybody is okay.” He glanced up at the path and saw movement. He strained his eyes and saw that it looked like a bunch of colorful horses. So he was going crazy. He didn’t know if he should wake the others up, or not. He then realized they all got 6 hours of sleep either way, so he did it anyway. He went over and shoved Francis awake, then gently woke up Zoey.

“Whuzzat?” Francis was groggy momentarily, then came to his senses realizing his error. “Goddamn it, I fell asleep. Sorry Louis.” Louis was surprised that Francis actually had the capability to say sorry.

“It’s okay. We’re all fine now, anyway.”

“Louis, is that you?” Zoey had now stirred fully awake.

“No, it’s the tooth fairy," Louis said sarcastically. "Yes it’s me, wake up.” Zoey and Francis both got up and started to stretch. Louis remembered why he was skeptical about waking up the others. “Hey guys, do you see movement on that path over there?” Francis and Zoey were still half-asleep, and they knew it. But they saw movement, nonetheless. They nodded their heads yes. “Do they look like horses to you?” The others were kind of surprised by this question. They looked again, more closely this time, and saw that they had horse-like figures. Zoey was the first to respond.

“Yeah, those are horses. But why are they all different colors? The one on the left looks like it has pink hair and a pink coat. The one on the right looks like...if I had to describe it, a marshmallow with purple hair. And the one in the middle looks purple. It also seems like...it’s...it’s...it’s a unicorn! I think the marshmallow is a unicorn too!” Zoey could see tiny little horns sticking out of the middle one and the marshmallow’s heads, and she doubted they were just bumps.

“So, what do we do Louis?” Louis was surprised that Francis was looking at Louis like he was the leader. He was momentarily confused on what to say, given the new responsibility, and found his words.

“We wait. I have never seen horses like that before. I don’t feel like horses are exactly hostile. It’s the only living thing we’ve seen so far, anyway. They might know what’s going on.”

“What the hell are you saying, Louis? Are you saying that you feel they can communicate with us?”

“I don’t know, Zoey. I don’t know. All we can do is wait and see.” Louis took a seat on the hay he had been sleeping on, and folded his hands in front of him. He rested his chin upon his hands, and started to think. Zoey started pacing around nervously, wondering if Louis had gone crazy or if this was just a dream and she would wake up and her dad would still be alive. Francis in an uncaring fashion, grabbed both his and Zoey’s bales of hay and proceeded to lay back and watch the sun set. It had a calming effect on him.

Louis looked up from time to time, about every 3 minutes. Francis would occasionally yawn. Zoey would kick the dirt every so often, trying to find peace with herself. After about 15 minutes, Louis looked up and saw them. Their big eyes looked surprised to see the survivors. The fact they had stopped walking made sure of the fact that they were aware of their surroundings. The fact they were both surprised and that they had stopped walking made sure of the fact that the survivors were the first humans the horses had seen.

The pink one was the first to break out of the trance. It hopped forwards on all four of it’s hooves, and stopped right in front of Louis. “How ya doing? I haven’t seen you before! You must be new! But, what are you, exactly?” Louis realized it was a girl horse. He also was not surprised that they could talk, at the least, that this one could. He felt they all shared the ability to talk, however. At hearing the voice, Francis and Zoey looked up to see the horses. Their reactions were very similar to the horses’ reactions to the humans; stopping what they were doing and being surprised.

“Well, what are you? Can you speak?” The purple one followed suit after the pink one, pushing the pink one out of the way. Now that Louis could see the pink one’s side, he realized there were 2 blue balloons and a yellow balloon on the side, near the rear. The “marshmallow” with the purple hair also had a mark on her side, but hers was three diamonds in a sort of pyramid fashion. He moved his head slightly to the right and left, locating the same kind of marks on both sides of the purple one. The purple one’s mark was different, however, and looked like fireworks on the 4th of July. All of this seemed familiar to him somehow, but he couldn’t put his tongue on it.

The marshmallow stepped forward, approaching Louis, and stopped in front of him. “It appears you’ve scared the poor dear, Twilight. If only Fluttershy was here...she has such a way with animals...”

“Hey! I’m no animal! I’m Francis, the greatest vampire hunter in existence!” Francis had popped up right next to Louis when he heard the marshmallow say this. “And who are you to call me an animal?”

“Why, I’m Rarity, the most fabulous dress designer this side of Equestria. If I may say so myself, perhaps the best designer in the whole world!” She said this with a pompous tone.

“I’m Twilight Sparkle. And this is Pinkie Pie.” She pointed her hoof at the pink horse. “You still haven’t told us who you are.” Zoey regained her composure and stepped forwards.

“I’m Zoey. The loudmouth over there is Francis. And right here’s Louis.” She pointed at the respective owners of the names. “In case you don’t know, we’re all humans. And you are...?”

“Ponies, of course! Who else would we be? Mules?” Pinkie Pie said like this had been the thousandth time she had said this. Louis was still thinking about where they were. Equestria...Pinkie Pie...Rarity...Twilight Sparkle...Fluttersy...why were these names so familiar to him? The purple one(Twilight Sparkle, remember Louis!) took charge after an awkward silence between the two groups.

“I don’t think I’ll have to inquire what humans are, we can discuss that at a later date. Do all humans have wings, or is that just common among the peach-colored ones?”

“Did you just call them peach-colored?” Louis could swear he could hear racism in that statement, but then realized that the way the ponies were all differently colored, there was different colors of ponies everywhere, and it had just become everyday life that they hadn’t even realized what they were saying. “Never mind.” And what did she mean, wings? Louis looked over and indeed, saw wings on Zoey’s and Francis’ backs. Francis’ was indeed blue and Zoey’s was still the yellow Louis remembered seeing earlier. At least he wasn’t that crazy. Not yet anyway.

“What the hell? I have wings!?! Since when?” Francis was rotating in a circle, trying to get a good look at his new wings. Now realizing that he actually had wings, he was trying effortlessly to flap them, but couldn’t just find how to operate them. It was something he would have to learn, if he kept them for any longer. Zoey was having similar success. She managed to pull off one flap of her wings, but didn’t gain any air. Twilight Sparkle didn’t pay any attention to them. She was intent on figuring out how these...”humans” had gotten into Equestria. Clearly they were the first of the kind that had ever been here.

“So...how did you guys exactly get here? I doubt you didn’t just walk out of your front door and then end up here. Did you?” Twilight appeared to talk to nobody in particular, but she was hoping the darker one would catch up. He seemed the most intelligent of the group, and would probably be able to communicate better. The others seemed...different. Louis was the closest to the ponies, so he naturally responded.

“We don’t really know, exactly. This dumbo head over here thought a highly technological device was a camera, and somehow we ended up here. One second we were in a dark, kind of musty laboratory, and the next we’re here.

“Wait, did you say laboratory? I had a dream about a laboratory last night, now that I think about it! Now that I think about it, it had humans in it too! I’ve never seen a human before, but that was one weird dream. Even for me.” Pinkie jumped at the opportunity and was excited. “You want to hear about it? Do ya? I bet you ya do.”

“Pinkie, I know you mean well but a dream is just a dream. Besides, you have never seen a human before today. There’s no way it could-”

“I heard one of the humans say your name, Rarity.”

“Please continue. I must hear this dream!” Twilight and the humans were intrigued by the concept of this dream. Except Francis, who was trying to still figure out how to operate his wings.

“Ah, screw this. Do we have to stay here and listen? I’m hungry!”

“Good idea...um...Francis. Let’s head back to Ponyville. On the way Pinkie Pie can tell us her dream. We need to figure out what’s going on, and I need to send Princess Celestia a letter, pronto.”