• Published 9th Aug 2012
  • 2,742 Views, 44 Comments

And The Bell Tolls Twice - MallaJong



Soarin' and Spike are best friends. Spike partakes in a frivolous dare: randomly "ask a mare out".

  • ...
4
 44
 2,742

Act I Scene I

And The Bell Tolls Twice

And the bell tolls twice. One for notification. Another for warning. The students of Ponyville High School Academy scatter in unison as the class bell is rung. Two particular uniformed students, Spike and Soarin’, loiter in the North Hallway of Building A. Spike is a short, awkward teenage dragon who seems to be more in tune with his own inner thoughts than reality itself. Soarin’, the extroverted, self-prescribed “funny pony”, intermittently prompts his best friend to partake in a frivolous dare. The dare: randomly “ask a mare out”.

"Dude, just do it."

"What? No!"

"Hurry up, Spike. Just do it."

"I already told you that I am not going to do it."

Soarin' wags a hoof in front of Spike’s face. "No, no. On the contrary, my dear companion, because you actually informed me that you would do it."

Spike laughs nervously. "I-I was obviously joking."

Soarin’ stares blankly at Spike. "I dislike jokes."

Spike's eyes widen. "What are you talking about? You love jokes! You’re practically the clown of the school!"

"Oh, so, now I am being insulted?"

"W-What?!"

"I see how it is. I treat you like a friend and you label me a “clown”.

"What’s wrong with being a “clown”?

"Clowns are the second-class citizens of society!"

Irritated, Spike exclaims. "My uncle was a clown!"

Soarin’ ignores Spike. "That is beside the point. How did we even get into this topic?"

"Second-class citizens?! You’re a second-class citizen!"

Soarin' rolls his eyes. "Very mature. Now, hurry up and do it."

Stubbornly, Spike assures. "I am not doing it! Why don’t you do it?"

Soarin’ suddenly spots an attractive female nearing. "She’s coming this way! Just do it, Spike! Go get her!"

Spike whips his head around. "Wha-? W-Who is coming?

Soarin points to female student. "Her! The one with the purple hair!"

Spike gulps loudly. "R-Rarity?! No, Soarin’. She hates me."

Soarin’ raises right eyebrow. "She hates you? How do you know?"

"You don’t remember? When I spilled chocolate milk on her in the cafeteria two weeks ago?"

Soarin's eyes widen. "Oh, yes, that’s right!" Laughing hysterically. "You kept apologizing like a stuttering jackas-!"

Spike, annoyed, cuts off Soarin’. "Calm down!" Looking to Rarity. "After the milk made stains on her uniform, she unleashed a great deal of pain upon me."

Soarin' laughs harder. "She yelled until her lungs collapsed!"

"Stop laughing! It was both mentally and emotionally traumatizing."

Choking on laughter, Soarin' mutters. "Are you ready, Spike?"

Confused, Spike says. "Ready for what?"

Soarin’ suddenly pushes Spike into a striding Rarity. Standing behind a pillar, Soarin' watches attentively at the two struggling to keep their balance.

Soarin' whispers. "The hook has sunk."

Spike steadily maintains his balance. "S-sorry!"

Rarity, flustered, finds her balance. "W-What the-?"

"I’m so sorry! I’m so sorry! I’m so sorr-"

Rarity cuts off Spike. "Stop apologizing like an idiot!"

At a distance, Soarin' whispers. "The hook continues to sink."

Spike stutters in defeat. "I’m sorr- Oh, o-okay."

Curious, Rarity asks. "What just happened there?"

Panicking, Spike spouts. "Happened? What happened? Nothing happened."

"You just popped out of nowhere – as if you were to trying to bump into me."

Spike laughs brassily. "That is completely ridiculous. What nonsense you spout from those beautiful lips!"

Rarity puts right hoof to lips. "What?"

Spike repeats. "What? I did not say anything." Laughing robotically. "Three multiplied by three equals nine."

Shocked and confused by Spike's nonsensical ramblings. "What are you doing?"

Mechanically, Spike states. "I am a dragon and you are pony."

Soarin looks down and whispers. "The hook has sunk to the bottom."

Rarity steps back. "Okay...I need to g-"

Spike realizes that he has “scared Rarity away”. With this unfavorable fact pounding at his cerebrum, a crack finally emerges. His brain begins to crumble and his heart begins to melt. His thought pattern is dramatically stimulated and an enormous fire scorches his very core. In an instant – in a grand conflagration of imagination – Spike impulsively – and unwittingly – decides to break the lock that imprisoned his soul and, with wondrous splendor, the awkward, sweat-inductive teenage student inhales deeply and bellows with awesome might.

Swinging his arms high above his head. "RARITY! It is painfully apparent that in a world that may seem senseless, hopeless, and utterly destructive there is a widespread panic and cry for liberation from the troubles of a physical reality! The times of our lives are limited and we, as two young individuals of this great society, are only given a few chances to display true greatness! That euphoric sensation of brilliance benefits not only ourselves but, in truth, others as well! I vehemently support the position that this, now, is one of those times in MY LIFE when I can passionately confess my love for another! You, RARITY, are the love of my life!"

Awestruck, Soarin' whsipers. "The hook has been lifted from the sands of the ocean and the line is tugged."

"I have only known you for twenty-nine days, seven hours, fifty-two minutes, and now reaching thirty-one seconds and I have already found myself in a state of ebullience when I cast my eyes upon your radiant demeanor! You are the one of MY LIFE! I will not hold back from informing you of my most true – of my most pure – sentiments of affection! Grasp the light of day and become the night! Cherish the moments you are bestowed with – even if it may be known as the darkest of all that is emanated from pain! Because, with basking assurance, life itself will disappear from your perceptual sight, foresight, and insight in a matter of milliseconds!"

Excitedly, Soarin' grins. "The line is pulled with amazing power! Reel it in! Reel it in!"

"Give back to the world by presenting your wholesome being! Let the violins play with harmonious synchronicity as you live life to its fullest potential! Allow the harp to beatifically jolt the edges of your ear’s mucus membrane as your senses are heightened to a dramatic state of existence! Follow the notes of light of a classical piano and scream to the heavens with audacity! I will reach personal enlightenment by gifting you with my heart. Please, take it! Handle it with motherly care as you would with your first newborn or angrily toss it to the ditches as you would with a cellular device after receiving horrifying, incomprehensible news! You are now the caretaker!"

Soarin' cries with delight. "I can see it! I can see it! You’ve caught it!"

"Live or die is a logical fallacy! I will not abide by naiveté and practice the ideal without inquisition! Strengthen grip or loosen grip is the correct phrase of language! Sing to the melody or dance to the beat! My understanding of the world has been developed! My responses to this understanding are unmasked and fragile! But they are not regrettable!" Clutching at his chest, Spike announces. "For I am soulfully thankful! For I am in love!"

Tears slide across Soarin's cheeks. "You’ve netted it. Y-You have done it."

At this point, the many environs of this inspiring scene had seemed to stay frozen. The clusters of students - ponies, griffins and mules alike - that surrounded Spike and Rarity stand in place and, similarly to Soarin’, watches in overwhelming awe at the recent occurrence. Silence has become the peaking atmosphere. And, seconds after the scrupulous monologue had been conceived from the lips of a seventeen year old dragon, a grand applause inevitably follows. The sounds of clapping, cheering, rooting, and crying filled the hallways. Rarity, standing sternly before the heavily panting Spike, flushes and instantly looks to the tiled floors. Her cheeks hot and her eyes squeezed tightly together, Rarity realizes that her many defense mechanisms are completely obliterated. She felt naked and, in the end, scared. How could this boy do this to her? How could he sneakily pass through her high security chambers? How could he have been able to touch her heart? To her, it was improbable. Though, she knew that it was not impossible.

Rarity looks up to Spike. "O-Okay."

Soarin' immediately jumps from behind the pillar. "Hold on!

The overseeing audience of students turns its head to Soarin’.

"What did you just say?!" Soarin' shouts aloud.

Rarity spots Soarin’ and hurriedly looks to Spike. "Spike…"

Anxiously, Spike answers. "Y-yes?"

"I-I’ll go out with you."

And The Bell Tolls Twice

Act I Scene I

End

Understand the difference between knowing something and understanding it.