• Published 5th Feb 2019
  • 531 Views, 6 Comments

Spike, the Floydian - King Genesis



Spike has a conversation with Mr Cake which eventually leads to the Sugarcube Corner's worker showing him one of his old vices: Pink Floyd.

  • ...
 6
 531

Interequestrellar Overdrive (edited 2020)

Author's Note:

Something I improvised. I started this as a short comedy, but I think it's gonna be more than that.

I hope you like it, leave your opinion in the comments.

Enjoy.


8/20 UPDATE: Eventually this became a one-shot.

Come on.

It's the fifth time I have an opportunity to reveal my true love for Rarity and I waste it. How many times am I going to do the same thing? Argh! I don't even want to think about that awkward moment where I was inside the boutique and felt my heart coming out of my chest, along with those sweat drops. I give up, I tell to myself... Because there's no absolute sense! A pony cannot be with a dragon, because they are two different species!

After being with my "I'm so sad, please someone help me" face for various minutes, I finally find a place to vent, to take a breath... The Sugarcube Corner. There aren't any jewels for me, but at least Pinkie is there to cheer me up with her jokes. When I enter the bakery, I am received by Mr Cake, who instantly changes his mood when he sees my destroyed face. "Oh my Celestia, Spike, what's the matter?" he asks to me. I don't even care about that question because of my current mood, something that I consider it was very cruel.

"Is Pinkie here?" I ask fastly.

Mr Cake shakes his head. I instantly understand what he says to me. She's not here. Holy crap... and then my day starts falling into pieces. I couldn't talk to Rarity today because of my fears and now, Pinkie Pie is not here to cheer me up... Even if I help Twilight I won't get over this!

"Do you feel alright, Spike?" he asks one more time. He seems to be very kind to me, so I shake my head and I look at him. Oh! I feel... broken!

"Rarity, you know..." I told him... Gosh! Why I feel so decayed when I mention her?

"Oh..." he says, with a grin. "I don't know what to say, Spike..."

"Nevermind, Mr Cake," I told myself so many times that I should not care about her... I should care about myself. Yes! That! Why I don't care about myself? I need to focus in who I am! I mean, I don't even have personal tastes... the only things that characterize me is being Twilight's assistant and eating jewellery! I'm just Spike, the dragon with no pleasures! "I just... need to relax, Mr Cake. I'll go to the Library."

Mr Cake now has a happy face. Happy face? Why? Right now? "Relax?" he says. "Oh, wait..." Mr Cake goes upstairs, to Pinkie's bedroom, and a couple of minutes later, he arrives with a black square... Um, what would it be? "Let me present you this."

Mr Cake then shows me a square with a really weird drawing: a prism? What's that? It's a prism with a rainbow on his right, is it something related with the Wonderbolts?

"What's that... it's something from Rainbow Dash?"

Mr Cake laughs at me. "I bought it in 1973 when I crossed the Crystal Mirror a long time ago. It really helped me to relax during those days. It's my favourite remedy!"

Despite it is the first time I see this, I find it attractive. I accepted taking it and carrying it into the Library. "Um... Spike, you must have a record player to use it on your house." Um... Record Player? What in the fluffy puff is that?! I look at him, completely confused. "Oh, sorry... I didn't explain it to you. This is an LP. You can put it on a record player and plays music."

Mr Cake lets me enter to Pinkie Pie's bedroom. In front of me, there is a small box with a circle in his centre. What's that? A core?, I tell to myself, but then Mr Cake puts a round, plain disc on it.


Speak to Me

I've been waiting here for ten seconds and the disc didn't make any kind of sounds.

"So?" I ask Mr Cake.

"Wait..." he answers to me.

A couple of seconds later, I hear something that came out from the disc. What was that? Is it a voice... talking to me? I'm feeling anxious, nervous while hearing this...

"Mr Cake, stop that, please! It sounds like a changeling!"

"Be patient, Spike."

I hear a shout... somepony is shouting right there! Who is she? Why is she shouting? Oh, dear Celestia, make it stop, MAKE IT STOP!


Breathe (In The Air)

And then this arrived. Oh.

Oh. That sound... It feels... relaxing, beautiful... such an interesting way to make me fly, make me... happy.

"What do you think, Spike?"

Sorry, Mr Cake, but I'm not listening to you because I am in another dimension right now, enjoying all the vibes that this song is giving to me. I look at myself in this new world, finding out something... Did I discover something new, outside of Ponyville, of my friends? Oh my... I'm literally progressing in life! I found something without the help of my friend Twilight! The day I was hating all this time has turned into a magical trip!

"Do you like it? Okay... Prepare for the next one..."

"Wait!" I shout. I am feeling desperate. "Could you lend me the disc? Please?"

"Of course, Spike! But you need a record player to play it..."

Oh, I forgot that... What do I do now, without that thing called record player?

"Ok. If you really liked this, I may lend you the record player but please, take care of it, there's only one in Equestria..." Mr Cake then grabs that wooden box, which seems to be a wallet or something like that. He gives it to me and I realize it is a little bit heavy for me, and afterwards, he lends me the strange round disc. "Come here if the battery runs out, this is only one of Equestria's places that have a plug for this." Wait... what? Battery? Plug? What is he talking about? Mr Cake finds out about my confusion. "Mmmh... In Ponyville language, if the machine stops working, come here and I'll fix it."

I only nod my head and leave the store. Now, I magically have both things under my arms. The disc and the machine. Shall I play this magic disc when I arrive at the Library? My main fear is Twilight discovering me. Maybe she will experiment with that disc and who knows what will happen! Once I arrive at the Golden Oak Library, I hide Mr Cake's machine from Twilight and I start listening again... Wait, what? How do I do this? I look at the disc and the only thing that I read is:

"PINK FLOYD.

DARK SIDE OF THE MOON. CAPITOL RECORDS.

SIDE 1.

And after this, there is a list of songs.

Dark Side of the Moon?, was this a disc made by Nightmare Moon? No! Of course not! How can I say something like that?... And by the way, who's Pink Floyd? Well, these are questions that only Mr Cake knows how to answer. I put on the disc again, it starts spinning but nothing happens... I try to remember how Mr Cake did it... Uh, come on! It's not that hard!... Did he pull that arm over there?, I ask myself. I do that and... the disc starts emitting strange sounds, did I do it wrong?

On the Run

Okay, I'm listening to On the Run, according to the title track, and to be honest, it's disturbing... I feel desperate, anxious, I think I am being trapped inside a cage with no exit, what's this kind of torture, what did you give me, Mr Cake?

"Spike!" I hear. It's a familiar voice... TWILIGHT!

She opens the door and looks at the machine with a confusing sight.

"What's that?" she asks. I don't know what to say, I'm afraid she'll take it and study it completely!

"I-It's um... a toy! It plays... music... It's a Musical Box!"

Twilight looks at me confused. She does know that machine isn't a musical box. I should have told her something more logical! I'm an idiot!

"Ok... Have fun, then. I'll be studying downstairs." She says and walks away.

Oh gosh! I didn't lose the machine by a hairbreadth! Woah... Calm down, Spike, calm down... The only thing I can say is that the third track has finished, thanks for Celestia! Which one's the next?...Time.


Weeks later, on the Sugarcube Corner...

"And that eventually turned Spike into a Floydian," says Mr Cake to his wife, weeks later.

A shocked Mrs Cake looks at his husband. "Are you sure that he is going back to normal, sweetie?"

"There's only one way to find that out."

Minutes later, Spike appears on the store, asking Mr Cake to charge the battery of the record player one more time. Once he is about to start a conversation about the band, Mr Cake gets interrupted by Spike: "Okay... I'll be quick. I've already heard Dark Side of the Moon, Wish you Were Here and The Final Cut... is there another LP you can buy from that store, Mr Cake?"

"Sure," says Mr Cake, smiling. "I'll have to wait for a couple of moons but I'll try to do my best. What about The Wall?"

"Yes," replies Spikey. "But there's another album I'd really like to give it a try."

Mr Cake gets now his attention. Spike looking up for Pink Floyd's discography? How? "And how did you look up their discography?"

"Well," says Spike, chuckling. "I had to ask Zecora for help."

"Oh... and what album do you want to hear?"

Suddenly, Spike burps another card written by Twilight. "Oh!" he shouts. "It seems I've got to go... look for that album, Mr Cake, A Saucerful of Secrets is its name.!"

Ooh. Oh crap. That name didn't suit Mr Cake so much. "Anything wrong?" asks his wife. "You have a certain gesture... I don't really like your face."

And then Mr Cake grabs her wife Mrs Cake with his hooves. "That dragon's more than lost, dear! There's no way to get him out!"


Dear Princess Celestia,

I've been writing to you for weeks due to a problem related to Spike. He has been busy and doesn't want to help me on the Library because he is listening to a strange thing called Pink Floyd. I tried to analyze and experiment several things on the Pink Floyd thing but turns out that it's not from our world. It sounds good, to be honest, but there's no Equestrian research that can explain to me the existence and meaning of the Pink Floyd.

He has been listening to strange, circular discs put on a platform that makes those sounds. Maybe that platform is the Pink Floyd? I don't know.

He has been telling me about someone named Pink and that's what worries me the most. He says he is locked up in a wall made by his own problems and thinks he breaks it in half while listening to a song called Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun. Does this Pink Floyd know how to control the sun, Princess? Oh no... Does that mean something else can control you, Princess? Please, answer me! I'm scared!"

Twilight finishes writing another card while looking at Spike messing around the Library with something that makes a strange smell, which he calls a bong. "TWILIGHT!" he shouts. "Where is my Meddle LP? I was going to listen to Echoes the whole afternoon."

"No, Spike," says Twilight. "I'm scared."

"Why?" he says. "Why don't you blow this? It might calm you down."

"No, Spike!" she shouts. "I'm afraid the Pink Floyd will eventually cause chaos in Ponyville, setting the controls for the heart of the sun... does that mean it might control Celestia on the inside? OH MY CELESTIA! I must send another card."

"Twilight! Wait!" says Spike, grabbing this time the Animals LP. "This one is good. Take a listen to this."

"No, Spike! Don't you see I'm trying to save Equestria from Pink Floyd?"

"Listen!" shouts the dragon, and then Pigs on the Wing 1 starts playing, which eventually calms Twilight down for a while. Looks like someone is turning Twilight Sparkle into Twilight Floydian.