• Published 6th Feb 2019
  • 1,213 Views, 58 Comments

The Sibling Guardian - Night-Shade



A Pegasus colt tries to give the best life he can to his younger sisters while dealing with a permanently drunk and abusive mother.

  • ...
1
 58
 1,213

New Friends

As the rest of the class started to arrive Scootaloo was still thinking about the strange grey colt who had shown up a few minutes ago.

She jerked as one of the twins gently prodded her, Windy had asked a question she had not heard, “Huh? What? Where...” Scootaloo stammered.

The twins giggled softly and Windy repeated her question. “Which seats can we take?”

Scootaloo smiled at them and with a wave at the appropriate seats said, “The two to my left are still open.”

Windy looked at her sister and took the seat next to Scootaloo while Clear took the other one in the back-left corner of the room. She looked a little relieved that she would be mostly hidden in the back of the class, the others would have a hard time looking at her here.

Scootaloo looked closer at the two smaller pegasi and kept her squeal of excitement locked up inside before she could embarrass herself in front of the foals who had already arrived.

She could not keep the excitement out of her voice as she quietly exclaimed. "You don’t have your cutie marks yet! This is so cool! Would the two of you like to join our club and become a part of the Cutie Mark Crusaders?"

Windy and Clear frowned as they quickly looked at each other and then at Scootaloo’s cutie mark, trying to wordlessly figure out what the Cutie Mark Crusaders are. He cutie mark was a shield with a wing and a lightning bolt inside of it. That didn't help them any as they still couldn't figure out what it meant or what her talent was.

After a moment they gave up and looked back up at Scootaloo as Windy asked. “What are the Cutie Mark Crusaders?”

Scootaloo beamed as she began explaining the purpose of their club where they helped other colts and fillies finding and/or understanding their own cutie marks. The twins looked at her with increasing excitement the more they heard, as Scootaloo finally finished her explanation she saw her two other friends walking through the door and make their way over towards her.

The twins looked at the two approaching new ponies. One was a yellow earth pony filly with a bright red mane adorned with a huge pink bow and a long red tail. The other was a white unicorn filly with a carefully groomed, dual colored purple and pink mane and a curled tail. Both of their cutie marks were similar to Scootaloo’s as they all had the same shield. The earth pony had an apple and a heart inside her shield, while the unicorn had a star with an eighth note inside of hers.

Windy and Clear were eager to make some friends and they thought this idea of being part of the Crusaders would be fun and that maybe, just maybe, they could get their cutie marks in the process. They knew their brother would be very proud of them when they did.

They both looked at each other for a moment and nodded in unison, they smiled widely at Scootaloo.

Windy said, “Sure! We would love to be part of the Cutie Mark Crusaders.”

Scootaloo beamed at them as her friends arrived at her table and she quickly gave introductions.

“Windy Skies, Clear Breeze, this is Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom,” said Scootaloo pointing to each as she gave their names.

They each said a quiet hello and then got very excited as they heard of the idea of them being inducted into the Cutie Mark Crusaders and neither Sweetie or Apple Bloom had any objections. Miss Cheerilee called the class to attention at that moment and they wouldn’t have another chance to talk until recess came around so they all sat to begin a day of learning.

“Good morning everypony!” Cheerilee happily called to the class.

“Good morning miss Cheerilee!” the class chorused.

She smiled at her beloved students with a warm smile and said, “As you all can see we have two new faces here this year. I’m pleased to welcome two new members of our class, Windy Skies,” - Windy stood up and energetically waved her hoof at all the foals looking back at her - “and Clear Breeze.”

Clear slowly stood up and shyly waved at the class and quickly sat down again amid a few giggles. The foals all waved at the two new ponies with the exception of two earth ponies. One was a pink filly with a tiara on her head and the other was a gray filly with glasses, who seemed to be following what the pink one did.

“Now as you can see they are twins, like Pound and Pumpkin, the Cake twins. I’m sure you will all be able to tell them apart after the end of the day,” Cheerilee said as the class looked a bit skeptical.

“Now that you two have been introduced would kindly tell us where you come from?” Cheerilee asked the twins.

Windy was still standing and glanced at her sister before speaking, “We lived in Hoofington before we moved to Ponyville. We were born in another small town that I can’t remember the name of. We moved out right after we were born and have moved a few times since. We’ve never stayed in a town for more than a year.”

Cheerilee saw the unhappy expressions on both the twins but before she could say anything Windy brightened and spoke with a big smile on her face.

“But my brother said we will stay here permanently, no more moving around,” said Windy with joy on her face.

Clear also looked happy and was smiling softly. Cheerilee nodded her head and brought the foals attention back to herself as Windy sat down again.

“Now then class, the first thing we are going to do today is a bit of math. I am sure all of you have forgotten at least something over the holidays,” said Cheerilee to the foals who all groaned in unison, with the exception of the twins.

She then started to hoof over the tests she had been preparing earlier.

When she reached the twins she said, “And with you two I need to see at what level you are compared to the others so I can plan my next lessons properly.”

They nodded at her with smiles as she hoofed over their tests. When the twins finally got their papers and read through them they just frowned in slight boredom and got started. When Cheerilee returned to the front of the room she looked at her students to make sure they were all busy working.

She noticed Scootaloo was staring to her left at the twins with her jaw agape. Just as the first word left her muzzle to call Scootaloo’s attention back to her own work she looked at what had caught the filly’s attention and her own jaw dropped.

The rest of the class had looked up to Cheerilee when she started to speak and then turned around to look at what had their teacher’s jaw on the floor. The twins each held their pencils between two of the primary feathers of their right wings and were writing using their wings, instead of their mouths like the rest of the foals. They were concentrating on their work sheets so hard that they didn’t immediately notice that everypony was staring at them.

Clear felt the gazes of the rest of the class first so she looked up and froze. Windy noticed this and then looked up at the ponies in the room.

“What?” Windy exclaimed.

Clear was just sitting there and quickly hid her head behind her left wing, the right was still holding her pencil.

Windy looked at their teacher in confusion and asked. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing. It’s just I don’t think anypony has ever used their wings to write with,” said Cheerilee.

“Who taught you how to write like that?” Scootaloo shouted.

“A traveling pegasus pony our brother introduced us to when we were still living in Hoofington. He said that he had learned how to write with his wings in his own country, where most pegasi use their wings to write. He also said it was strange that Equestrian pegasi didn’t do it as well, seeing that it is good exercises for every single pegasus, but especially for foals who can’t fly yet. It strengthens our wings and increases our wing control and precision, because moving them in such small precise movements is difficult,” Clear explained.

The class was surprised, they were not expecting such a lecture from the quiet shy pony. Cheerilee was surprised at this new information and thought it could be very beneficial for the rest of Equestria if the ponies started teaching their pegasi foals to write with their wings. However, she still needed to figure out if it was really as beneficial as they claimed and planned to ask them about it later and then get in contact with somepony from the Canterlot Education System and the Canterlot Health Services to verify this information and get more precise data so that they could maybe start to implement it.

“I assume you two also write faster than if you were to use mouth-writing?” asked Cheerilee.

The twins nodded with a smile and went back to their work sheets as the rest of the class followed suit. The few other pegasi foals in the class looked at their pencils, then at their wings and sighed in disappointment. They knew they couldn’t just switch from their mouths to their wings immediately and expect to be able to read what they wrote.

Cheerilee chuckled as she saw this and then said, “I will be talking with CES and CHS about this and see if we can implement this, but only if it is a viable option and is proven to be beneficial and not harmful. I may even bring Princess Twilight Sparkle aboard. She will enjoy testing a new way to improve the education system.”

The foals nodded and went back to their work. She smiled at them and returned to her desk to prepare for the next activity after their math tests were done.