• Published 1st Feb 2019
  • 3,615 Views, 98 Comments

Friendship Knight - Pegyunicorn



Every princess needs a trusty knight, who better to be Twilight's than Tempest.

  • ...
14
 98
 3,615

A Knight's Call

A hard smack on stone echoed across the barren rocks as a staff cracked the ground beneath it. “Listen up you dumb losers.” Dragon Lord Ember roared to the dragons gathered around her. “I got a letter from Smolder, the dragon we sent to learn friendship from the ponies. Now shut up so I can read this, everyone of you need to hear this, it’s important.”

“Hey everyone especially my bro. I’ve got the offer of a lifetime for you dorks. You remember that pony that worked for the storm king, Tempest Shadow? Well she’s working for Twilight now and she’s founding the most awesome guard organization ever.”

Some dragons laughed but one dragon was already packing his bags. If his sister was supporting it Garble may as well give it a shot.

----------------------------------------------------

In Griffonstone, Gabby had gotten a crowd to for around her as she was reading a letter from Gallus.

“It’s called the Friendship Knights. It’s a group dedicated to protecting Ponyville, the school and the castle and everyone who lives here. You get a nice shiny suit of armor and stuff and it pays really good. And I know most of you don’t care but it’s a good cause or whatever.”

Gilda had heard enough while muttering about dumb ponies and friendship she threw some clothes in a bag and set off for Ponyville.

------------------------------------------------

The changeling hive was a buzz of activity as changelings listened to King Thorax read them the latest letter from Ocellus.

“It will be tough but we can do it if we are determined enough. So anyone who feels like they got what it takes come on down to Ponyville and give it a go. This is a great way to give back to the ponies after everything they did for us. Freeing us from Chrysalis and teaching us about friendship.

Pharynx scratched his chitinous chin. He wasn’t very good at friendship like the rest of the Hive but he was a good soldier. Threats to Equestria threatened every creature on the continent. He walked off to pack. His brother could handle the hive, but a soldier's duty was never truly over. There was always some war that needed fighting.

---------------------------------------------------

Across the snowy north Yaks listened as Rutherford read.

“Yona know Yak strong and brave. Broken Pony needs Yak strength to keep friends safe. Ponies understand Yak, they help when home buried in snow. Now Yak turn to help friends.”

Off in the distance Horwitz listened to the news. After adjusting his glasses he turned to make his travel preparations. History was being made in Ponyville and for once he wouldn't just record it but live it.

-------------------------------------------------

On the shores to an audience both in the sea and on land the Hippogriffs read Silverstream’s letter.

“I know some of you may be scared of Tempest Shadow and that’s ok. Fizzlepop Berrytwist, that's her real name by the way, taught me that it’s ok to be afraid so long as you don’t let it control you. I mean knocked Fizzlepop out! She did give me a free punch though but still! I guess what I’m trying to say is you don’t have to live in fear. It’s time to show everyone our courage! Because courage isn’t about not being afraid. It’s about overcoming that fear. So if you're feeling courageous you’d be great for the Friendship Knights.”

A few Hippogriffs seemed interested but still hesitant. One Hippogriff wasn’t at all hesitant. Princess Skystar knew when it was time to stand up to your fears and do the right thing and this was one of those times. Now she just had to convince her mom to agree to it.

------------------------------------------------

Back in Ponyville the towns ponies listened as Sandbar finished reading off his little speech.

“So in closing, the Friendship Knights are a perfect opportunity to make a difference. To help you fellow creature by helping defend the light of friendship so it will never be snuffed out. Also you get all the benefits awarded to members of the Equestrian military, such as tax breaks, and a free college education.” Sandbar finished reading his letter as all the other creatures around the world finished their’s.

Tempest Shadow stepped up to the podium giving Sandbar an appreciative nod as she passed. “Thank you all for listening to Sandbar and giving us your time to be here today. If there are any questions or if you are interested in joining the Friendship Knights please see me at our booth or schedule an appointment with Starlight Glimmer. We also invite you to take a pamphlet as you leave. Again, thank you for your time.”

Most of the ponies in town grabbed a pamphlet out of courtesy but had no intentions of joining the guard. They all had lives and careers already that they had no intention to leave behind. Plus they’d rather not put their lives on the line the next time a horrifying monster came by. Only one pony was brave enough to go to the booth that Tempest had set up.

“Excuse me Temp?” A walleyed pegasus asked. “I had a question about your little military thing.”

Tempest Shadow sat up from her slouch she had fallen into as she watched the crowd vacate without so much as glancing at her booth. “Sure Derpy, I’ll do my best to answer you.”

“I was wondering, would the Equestrian Military pay for my daughters’ tuition if I joined the Knights?” Derpy asked. “I thought about going back to college but I never did well in school and I think Dinky or Spakler would have a better shot at it than me.”

Tempest looked curiously. “I thought you only had Dinky? You never mentioned another kid on our train ride.”

Derpy smiled. “Sparkler is my oldest. She’s a teenager and gets embarrassed when I brag about her. Why did you think I forgot about her like some dumb fanfic author?” She asked laughing.

Tempest chuckled as well not getting the joke but playing along. If she didn’t get anypony else Derpy would still be a good start if she could do what she did to Jackal repeatedly. “Yeah I have some wiggle room in the rules for the guard and if you want to give you college tuition money that’s fine with me. Plus with the age difference between your kids by the time Dinky is getting ready for college I’d say you’ll have earned another free tuition. They’re like a decade apart in age right?”

Derpy nodded. “Yeah Sparkler is eleven years older than Dinky.” Derpy said.

“Anyone who sticks with the hardships of military life for so long deserves it. Now you still have to qualify for this you know?” Tempest told her. “Also while we will primarily be in Ponyville I’ll need some folks to travel with the princess when she travels to official events. You might not always be able to be home with your family. I’ll work with you when I can but if I tell you I need you in Canterlot or wherever you’ll just have to suck it up, be it on a birthday or a holiday, you’ll be there in you armor standing by Princess Twilight. Understand?”

Derpy nodded again. “Don’t worry Tempy, I’ll serve the Knights with the same loyalty and dedication as I do the postal service.”

“Ok then when we actually have a unit I’ll let you know when basic begins. I’ll need you for about a month to turn you into a soldier. You’ll still be in Ponyville for most of it but the last week will be a little camping trip. Can you do that?”

Once more Derpy nodded. “If I can help ponies, prove I’m more than a walking accident and get my babies a good education I’ll be the best soldier I can be. Doctor Whooves can take care of Dinky and Sparkle mostly stays in Canterlot at Princess Celestia’s school.”

“Good. Fill out these forms, I’ll talk to your boss so that you can have the time off without losing your job at the post office.” Tempest said pushing a stack of paperwork to Derpy who took a quill in her mouth. The pegasus and the unicorn worked in tandem as Tempest explained legal jargon as best she could and Derpy signed. Once all was done Tempest filled the papers away and stood to shake Derpy’s hoof. “Alright thats it. Ms Hooves I think you have the potential to be a fine soldier.”

Derpy saluted using the wrong hoof, Tempest would fix that in training. “Thanks Tempy. I’ll make you proud.”

“Go talk to your family make sure your daughters are ok with this and that you have someone who can watch Dinky." Tempest told the mailmare.

Derpy trotted off with a nod. Leaving Tempest alone to glance over the top of the booth at the staggering lack of recruits.

"You know it's the darndest thing." Tempest sat up looking for the source of the voice but couldn't find it. "I thought I'd be the first creature you'd ask if you were forming a new military force." Tempest leaned over the booth to look down and there she saw a hedgehog looking over a pamphlet. "I thought we made a pretty good team. Tempest Shadow the badass and Grubber her amazing comic relief sidekick."

"I thought you had became a baker, I didn't want to drag you back if you were happy." Tempest told her former assistant.

"I did but did you know your supposed to sell the things you bake and not eat it? Like what's the point I'm just going to use the bits to buy sweets anyway." Grubber complained.

"Well if that's the case I'd really like to have you back. I think Starlight will kill me if I drop anymore paperwork on her desk for her to fill out." Tempest told the hedgehog.

"So you need a hard working reliable assistant?" Grubber asked.

"Yeah, but I'll settle for you." Tempest said ruffling Grubber's head.

Grubber laughed as he playfully tried to swat the broken unicorn's hoof away.

"I hope I'm not interrupting a reunion darling." Rarity's posh accent get the pairs attention. "I wanted to speak to you about the armour for the Knights darling and if your available I have your person set of barding ready Ms. Berrytwist."

Tempest nodded. "Sure I have time. Grunber stay here and help anyone interested sign up. I doubt anyone but Derpy will be her but just in case I want someone manning the booth."

"Excellent. If you'll follow me darling we'll get you fitted." Rarity said leading them off in the direction of her boutique. Tempest gave Grubber a quick salute that the hedgehog returned before she trotted up to Rarity. “Now darling I don’t mean to boast but I do believe this armour I made is the best work I’ve ever done. Twilight also told me of your intentions to open the guard to all creatures so I made sure that to make variate designs for every creature.”

“Thank you for doing this Rarity. I really appreciate all the work you’re doing.” Tempest told the elegant mare.

“Oh thank nothing of it darling, I am the Element of Generosity after all. Not to mention working for such a prestigious organization is certain to attract potential customers.” Rarity reassured.

It wasn’t far from the town center where the meeting was held to Carousel Boutique. Once inside Rarity lead Fizzlepop over to a table covered with a purple cloth. “Fizzlepop Berrytwist, prepare to be amazed!” With the glow of the fashionista's magic the cloth was pulled off to reveal the armor underneath.

Tempest reached out to touch the armor gently running her hoof across it in disbelief. “It’s perfect.” Before her laid a full barding set of a rich purple that matched Twilight’s coat trimmed with golden edges and silver accents.

“Would you like to try it on?” Rarity asked.

“Definitely.” Tempest stated as Rarity held out a coat made of simple cloth that connected four chainmail legs in her magical grasp for Tempest to step into. Then Tempest picked up the criniere and place it to her neck attaching it with leather straps. The piece was made of seven lames connected by rivets that allowed the metal segments to slide over each other ensuring that Tempest could move her head about as much as she could unarmored. After that came the flanchards that estened from her hind quarters to about her ribs again with lames to let it slide for better flexibility it hung down about an inch from the top of the chainmail legs. Then a peytral was strapped to her chest that overlapped the flanchards by a few inches and also gave the chainmail legs an inch of wiggle room before they would expose flesh to an attack.

“And now the pièce de résistance, the chanfron.” Rarity said levitating the helm over to Tempest. It fastened into place over the mare with a small holes for her horn and ears. It had a visor that slid down over the face and a curtain of chainmail that hung down from the bottom covering the gap between the neck armor and chanfron. On the forehead of the chanfron was a rondel made of silver with the circle decorated with images of the five element around the central element of magic.

Tempest stood admiring herself in the mirror. Rarity walked up beside the armored mare. “Now that is a mare who any Princess would be proud to call her knight.”

Tempest nodded. “Now to prove to everyone I’m worthy of it.”

Author's Note:

Hey peeps, so I learned that barding is the technical term for horse armor and all those names for the pieces of armor are the names according to wikipedia. A lot of them had alternative names so if you know them as something else its probably on of the other names they listed but I just used the first name they had. Also in the show the guard ponies armor are based on greek and roman armors it looks like. The armor Rarity made is much more medieval. The show’s armor dosen’t cover the sides, legs or even the throat just the side of the neck. This armor covers pretty much every bit of them.