• Published 24th Jan 2019
  • 318 Views, 2 Comments

Race Swapper in the Deerlands - Hexan Tronic



Second part of the Race Swapper storyline, finds our young colt in the deerlands, to learn their culture and ways.

  • ...
 2
 318

Chapter 8 - Heading out in search of deer.

I woke up the next morning, and got my bow in my name before contacting my brother.

<So Hexan, ready for control?> I ask him.

<Sure, go ahead sis.> He says so I trade places with him.

------------------------

Once I have control, I take a moment to adjust my hat, before heading downstairs, where I find Frosty wiping down the counter.

"Morning Boss." I say, walking over.

"Morning kid, how are you feeling since yesterday?" He asks, stopping what he is doing.

"I'm feeling better. Anyway, I think it's time I head out." I say, looking around.

"Are you sure kid? You could stay longer, you know." He points out.

"I know, and I think I'd like to. But we have somewhere we need to be, so we need to head off." I explain.

"Well… alright then. At least take some food with you." He says, heading into the kitchen. Once the doors close, I head back upstairs for my bags.

Once they are on, I head back down, and see a packed lunch on the counter, which I put into my bag.

"Well, I guess this is goodbye kid." He says, shaking my hoof.

"Only for now. I'll likely be back at some point. Until then, goodbye." I say before walking outside.

When I get outside, I head straight to the station and get a ticket for a train, heading right to the forest, or as close as I can get.

The train ride isn't anything special, and we arrive in about two hours.

Once there, I hop off the train and look around. From the station, I can see about fifteen wooden buildings, one of which is bigger, probably a town center or something. I can also see a portion of the forest between buildings, with a small amount chopped down.

I looks like the loggers aren't working today, so I head right towards the forest. Once I get between buildings, I look around, making sure that no-pony is around. Once I see that there is no one around, I rush strip to the tree line and disappear into the forest.

Once I'm far enough in, I slow down and start looking around. The trees appear to be both healthy and large. They provide plenty of shelter, but there is enough space to move around. No matter how you look at it, these trees aren't wild, they were planted.

After a while, I began to feel tired. That's when I hear a growl. Turning around, I see a large, dark grey bear, which growls louder, and I freeze.

<Quick, what do we do?!> I ask, becoming panicked.

<I could fight it.> Knockout suggests.

<Like hell you will! We'll run, it's safer!> Prissy says, sounding mad.

<Better decide quick, because here it comes!> Distrac says, before I turn and start running through the trees, weaving around them. Unfortunately, the trees are wide enough apart for it to move easily, so it keeps up easily.

I keep running for as long as I can, dodging over and around roots and trunks, but eventually, I trip, and roll down a hill and into a river. Getting up, I see that luckily, my bags are still dry, so I get up, and notice my hat by the river bank. I quickly grab it and start running again, because I hear the bear’s roar nearby.

Eventually, I manage to lose it, by hiding inside a dead trees trunk, thankful that landing in the river muddled my scent. Once the bear gives up, I waited for about 20 minutes, before climbing out, and looking around. The trees seem much larger around here, but it is getting dark.

<So, what should we do, guys?> I ask, not really with any clues on our next action.

<Whatever we do, let’s try not to anger the deer. So no fires or chopping trees.> Logic suggests.

<How about a temporary shelter for the night?> Prissy suggests.

<Good idea sis, I’ll get to work.> I think, beginning to grab large branches that had fallen on the ground, and placing them in ways that the trees held them up. Once I have enough, I start collecting smaller branches and twigs, laying them on top, and last of all, a couple layers of leaves, creating a makeshift roof. Then I pull my sleeping bag out of my bag, and lay down.

<Goodnight guys.> I think.

<Goodnight Hexan.> They think back, before I go to sleep.