• Published 24th Jan 2019
  • 316 Views, 2 Comments

Race Swapper in the Deerlands - Hexan Tronic



Second part of the Race Swapper storyline, finds our young colt in the deerlands, to learn their culture and ways.

  • ...
 2
 316

Chapter 1 - Long Walk and First Job.

I left home early when I woke up this morning, following a map I picked up before leaving town. I decided to follow a road leading in the direction I need, but it won’t take me all the way there, since there aren’t any roads or train stations near the border to the deer lands.

After a couple hours of walking, I come to a river after having left the road some time ago. I look into the river, and see myself. I’m a teal earth pony with a blond mane with purple tips, along with purple eyes. My top hat is still on my head, keeping the sun off me, if only a little. I lean down and take a drink.

When I had finished my drink, I head off again, following the river downstream, until I reached a bridge, which I then crossed.Walking passed the bridge, I eventually came to a large tree, which I sat under and pulled out a sandwich for lunch. The food is a nice break, but can’t stop for too long, so I start walking again.

While walking along, I eventually reached another road, which lead to a tavern. Walking inside, I looked around. The barkeep looks towards the door, about to greet his newest customer, then his eyes widen when he sees a young colt.

“Hey now, what is a young colt like you doing around these parts?” He asks, pouring a glass of water, and setting it on the counter. I walk over and climb up onto a stool, and start drinking from the glass.

“I’m on a trek to the deer lands.” I reply with, finishing the glass and setting it down. His eyes go a bit wider.

“Now why would you be headed there lad? And a colt as young as you might I add.” He continues our conversation with. I stretch before replying.

“To learn about them, and the best way to do that is visit where the majority live.” He nods at my sound argument, but still looks concerned.

“Well, be that as it may, it’s getting late, so why not stay the night in one of my rooms upstairs?” He offers, obviously worried for my safety.

“I would gladly accept, but I don’t have many bits….” He looks a bit conflicted, but then decides on his reply.

“That’s fine, you would just have to help me at my bar tonight. Can you handle that?” He asks, waiting for my answer. I start conversing with my siblings.

<So, what do you think guys?> I ask them, looking like I’m thinking it over.

<It’s not a bad deal, and one or two nights couldn’t hurt> Logic states, thinking about the pros.

<We can handle it, and if any fights break out, I’ll put a stop to it.> Knockout tells us, making his choice clear.

<Would we be safe doing this, this place is pretty far from any towns…> Prissy says, sounding worried.

<We need the break, let’s stay here and rest, before I start losing focus.> Burst speaks his side of the argument.

<Sounds like it’s going towards staying, so I guess that’s our choice.> Distrac states, his opinion going either way.

<Alright then, guess we are in agreement.> I think, before turning my attention to the barkeep. “Alright, I’ll do it.” He gives a soft simile.

“Alright kid, at least you’ll have a roof over your head for a night or two. My name’s Frosty Cider if your wondering.” Frosty tells me, heading to the stairs to the left of the entrance.

“Mines Hexan, nice to meet you boss.” I follow him upstairs, where he stops at a door with a one on it. He chuckles softly at the boss comment.

“You can stay in here while your working here, want to drop your bags off and I’ll show you your jobs?” He asks, opening the door.

“Sure, I’ll be down in a moment.” I walk inside and slide my bags off, heading back downstairs after closing my door. “So what’s first boss?” I ask Frosty.

“Well first, you should learn some of the basics for tonight.” He says, cleaning some glasses. “First off, no serving drinks unless I'm here, because they might try to take advantage of you.” I nod, keeping it in mind.

“Next, greet ponies with a smile, a calm smile if you can manage. And finally, make sure we always have clean glasses” I nod again.

“Is there a uniform or something?” He shared his head.

“Not really, just wear whatever, as long as it's clean.” He replies, placing the glass mugs on the shelf behind him.

“Got it boss, say what time is it?” I ask, heading over and wiping down some tables.

“About seven I'd say, so we should be getting some customers soon, so be ready kid” I nod, focusing on my work. After some time, which I have finished on the tables and moved to the mugs, a pair of stallions walk in and sit at a table. One is a dark green pegasus with light brown mane/tail, and the other is a unicorn, with an orange coat and red mane/tail. The pegasus speaks first.

“Bartender, hard cider for me and my friend here!” He says, placing a bit bag on the table. Frosty pours them both a mug, then heads over, placing them on the table, and collecting his payment. I hear him start up an interesting conversation. “Did you hear, a large lumber company has decided to start deforesting the west. It hasn’t really been explored, so I guess they will have no problems, and it could be easy money.” This peaks my interest, because that’s where I’m headed.

“Yeah, I heard, but that doesn’t mean it’s safe. That large forest has a habit of defending itself when attacked, you know.” The unicorn replies, taking a large drink of his cider.

“That’s just a rumour, and you know it.” The pegasus rebuts, drinking half his mug.

“Even if it is, I’m not stepping a hoof near that place, not amount of bits is worth getting eaten by a tree.” The unicorn finished his statement and his mug. The pegasus finishes him mug and replies again.

“What, you can’t say your scared of a couple trees, are you?” The winged one jabs, looking a bit less coherent, probably because of the drink. “Because you know, if a couple a trees are enough to scare you, maybe you should just head to Canterlot and practice being noble, maybe then you’ll feels safe.” The unicorn looks to also be more loose, as well as angry at his friends words.

“I’m not scared of the bloody trees you twit, I’m scared of what live in that bloody forest. You can go and try to get yourself killed, I’m staying home.” With that, the unicorn gets up, ready to leave. It’s obvious that the pegasus doesn’t like being called stupid, and he then gets up, looking ready to tackle his friend into a table.

I look for Frosty, to see if he can defuse the situation, but he is in the back, working in the kitchen area. I hear a crash a look back, to see some overturned tables, as well as a pile of limbs, and grunts of pain and anger. I can think of three choices right now; Choice one, go let Frosty know. Choice two, try to break the fight up myself. Choice three, do nothing.

<I say let’s go get Frosty.>

<They dare to fight on our first day? Let’s show them why they shouldn’t have tried!>

<I agree with our brother. They are just a puny pegasus and unicorn anyway.>

<While I don’t agree with my two brothers thoughts and reasoning, I agree that they should know better than to fight in a place like this.>

<I think Prissy is right, let’s not cause a scene.>

<Hmm, I could go get Boss, but they could tear this room apart depending on their battle and spell knowledge in that time. On the other hand, showing our skills may scare them off, but it could also cause boss to kick us out. Well, he was bound to find out eventually I guess your up brother.>

<Alright Hex, I’ll go to work.> After this, I lose my vision, as we tag out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feels nice to be in control again. Now, where were we. Oh right, dealing with some nasty customers. Looking over, I see they are up, and trading blows, likely having ignored my arrival, which is good for me, since it means I can get a good blow on them both.

After checking that my gloves are on, I make my way over the counter, and make my way towards the fighting duo. Once I make it to a table just out of their area of attention, I again focus on the two fighters. The pegasus is hovering, if unstably, around their ‘arena’, keeping his distance as he looks for an opening.

While in the other ‘corner’ is the unicorn, with his horn lit and a chair floating nearby. The fact he can use his magic while either tipsy, or drunk if he is a lightweight, means he has maybe a little skill at magic.

With this in mind, I have to choose my opening carefully. If I move at the wrong moment, my cover will be blown and advantage lost, and I’ll need that advantage. Since even though I have skill, I’m still only a colt. If I fought them with them ready for me, I could get hurt or lose. So for now, I’ll keep an eye on them both, waiting for my moment.

Once I put my attention on them, the pegasus charges, his left fore hoof pulled back for a punch. The unicorn seems ready for this, as he smirks and moves a table between them, blocking the charge, then pushing the stunned pegasus back, while also throwing the chair at him.

I watch as the pegasus gets hit with the chair, then gets right up. Seems I was right to hold back for now. He can take a hit, so I should be careful. My moment should be soon anyway. The unicorn brings another chair over to him, as the pegasus seems to be preparing a different strategy this time.

I can see the exact moment I need, so I prepare myself. The pegasus hovers back and forth, trying to fake out his friend. It works, probably because of the alcohol in their systems, and the unicorn throws the chair and misses, leading to a charge by the pegasus.

At this moment, I charge in, and lead with a punch to the side of both their heads, knocking them both over. They both tumble to the ground, probably from the shock, since they didn’t know I was around. They shake their heads and they get up, as I get into position to dodge any attacks they throw at me, while also trying to look non-threatening.

“Where the tartarus did that colt come from?” The unicorn asks, a bit of anger in his voice.

“No idea, didn’t seem him around before any time I came here, so he isn’t the owners kid.” The pegasus replies, letting me know he is a regular.

“Are you two done now, because I’d like to limit the cleaning I have to do after closing as much as I can, and fixing and setting all these tables again will take a while.” I say, keeping calm, but also keeping my gaze on them.

“Yeah, I guess we may be done. Bit pissed I got punched out by some colt thought.” The unicorn replies, moving some of the tables with his magic, but not exactly in the right spot. The pegasus sighs.

“Alright, I don’t want to beat up a kid either, so I’ll give up too.” He joins his friend, moving some chairs back to their tables.

“Thank you. Just so you know, I may have to explain why the room looks a bit messy, so I can’t really cover for you guys. Please try to keep it civil for the rest of your time here.” After that, I head back to the counter, and start cleaning some mugs.

When they finish, the two leave a tip on the counter, of five bits, and head off. I slide one of my gloves off and slip the bits in. When the entrance closes, Frosty comes out of the kitchen, and notices the state of the room.

“What happened here? Looks like they fought again, but they cleaned it up this time. A bit strange but, no problem, just means less work for me and...” As he is speaking, he turns to me, a bit confused to see a different colt than the one he is allowing to stay behind the counter, cleaning mugs. “Um, uh, hey kid. Have you seen a colt around here, about your age, with a purple top hat?” He asks, looking at me.

“Your looking at ‘im Boss.” I say, putting the mug down. He looks me over.

“Pretty sure I’d remember a colt walking around with a pair of boxing gloves.” Frosty says, setting some cleaned mugs on the shelf behind the counter.

“Oh, right. Just give me a moment.” I say, thinking in my mind. <My times up, your back out Hex.> I state.

<Alright, give me a moment.> He says before taking back control.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once I’m back in control, I feel for my hat, glad it’s there, before looking at Frosty.

“Hey boss. Sorry if my brother caused any trouble.” I say, getting back to work on the glasses Knockout didn’t finish. Frosty is just a bit confused.

“Have I been drinking on the job again?” He asks himself.

“Nope. I just have others in my mind, who I consider my siblings. We swap if one of the others is better for a situation, like calming down a fight between drinking buddies.” I explain, stacking some of the mugs nearby. He appears to be thinking to himself.

“I thought I heard a commotion, but without the mess, I thought it was my imagination. Guess your ‘brother’ helped with that?” He asks.

“Of course boss. Couldn’t let them destroy the place. Once he got them calmed down, or maybe just confused, he got them to help clean, then they left after giving a tip.” I say, sitting down. Frosty nods, taking this all in. He finally seems to make up his mind.

“It’s alright by the way, I won’t kick you out cause your a bit odd. Your just a kid after all.But try not to make trouble for my customers alright?” He asks, looking serious. I salute him.

“We got it boss!” I say for us.

“By there way, how many ‘siblings’ do you have.” He asks, putting the last of the days dishes away.

“Counting me is six. Five brothers and a sister.” I say, relaxing for a bit.

“One of them if a filly? Does your body change to match that?” He asks, sounding a bit worried. I nod in confirmation. “May want to keep her away while we are packed with a large number of stallions. Chances are some aren’t to held up on morals.” He explains. I nod in thought.

“Alright boss. It’s alright if it’s mostly mares though, right?” I ask for her. He nods.

“Yeah, if there is at least two full tables of mares, she should be fine.” He says. “Anyway, it’s getting late, so I’ll have to meet them later. Off to bed.” He says, as he prepares for his night shift.

“Night boss” I say before heading to my room, hanging up my hat, and hopping into bed.

<Night guys.>

<Good night Hex> They say, before I’m off to sleep.