• Published 29th Jan 2019
  • 6,450 Views, 376 Comments

The Dragon Lord's Legacy - Little_Draco



Spike awakens and his time to return to world has come. With added family, grown body and new challenges to face, Spike will find the world has changed without him and he must adapt, even if pain must come from it.

  • ...
9
 376
 6,450

Homecoming: Celebration

Dragon Lord’s Legacy

Homecoming: Celebration

Spike, his mate and his hoard/herd were eagerly and joyfully guided into Ponyville. While it was a great deal for his friends and family, Spike couldn’t really comprehend how much it meant for him to be coming home, even though almost a year had passed since he left. The sad part of it was that it was only just two weeks for him.

Ponyville had remained, for most of the year, partially unchanged. It was a bit more lively due to the fact that, as it was, Pinkie and the others have made sure to let everypony know that Spike the Dragon would be coming home. Not only would he be here but so would the Princesses as well as possible royals or advisors of the Dragon Lands. Well… they were short two, which in retrospect was fine for two giant dragons walking into town which may cause another panic, with the town already on a budget due to the last event. Twilight was very elaborate on that.

There were banners decorated around the town, mostly around the center hall. There were vendors, both old and new ones. Apparently, so much had changed that now Spike saw new creatures here, including Griffins, a zebra or two and then… the extremely bright and colorful newly changed ‘changedlings’. It almost blew his mind that they were so different from their original forms.

While many stayed together in a group or cluster, some were mingling, very happily with other ponies, who seemed just as eager to talk to them.

“So… are those the changelings that reformed?” Spike asked out loud.

Starlight was the one who explained, having to interact with them the most during the last couple of months. “The new term for them is ‘Changedlings’, Spike and yes, that is them. At least a few of them. There are still hundreds that are still at the hive, trying to rebuild and update everything.”

“Update?” Spike asked, passing by a few who were talking with a few vendors. Their bright colors were a bit disorienting, something the dragonesses lightly complained to him in ear shot.

“They want to remove anything of Chrysalis and her prior rule within the last year.”

He gave a nod, having just been given a brief description of what has happened since he was… absent. So much was given to him but broken down into parts.

Dash becoming a member of the Wonderbolts, her lifelong dream came true! Starlight’s first Hearth’s warming eve, Rarity’s dream of opening a new boutique in Manehattan. Shortly after that, it was Starlight who encountered a changeling who ran to the Crystal Empire that started the whole reformation of an entire race.

“After I met him,” her tale began. “Shining Armor and the rest of the Empire tried to imprison him or worse. If I and my friend Sunburst hadn’t interfered, we may have lost him. Along with that me, him, Sunburst as well as Discord and Trixie also wouldn’t have known what had happened to everypony else being trapped and … well, we wouldn’t have this amazing new species joining our society or had saved Equestria.”

“Huh, so I guess in a weird way, you befriending a changeling… or now ‘changedlings’, gave us more allies and saved Equestria.” He then looked towards a few more changedlings, watching as a few changed in front of ponies into them, making a few still uneasy but earning applause nonetheless. “Though I am surprised Equestria was saved by Trixie and Discord.”

“Me too,” Just about everypony answered minus Celestia and Luna. In turn, the mane six and Starlight laughed amongst them.

“Yes, it was truly a sight to behold when Starlight and her friends, and Thorax helped overthrow Chrysalis’s rule.” Celestia affirmed. “Though most of us had been captured and our magic was useless in the changeling hive.”

Spike gave that a moment before he looked around. “So… then where is Discord?”

The answer was given by Fluttershy. “Oh, he should be back soon, he, Big Macintosh and Sunburst all went to the ‘Oubliettes and Ogres’ championship in Manehattan.”

The purple dragon slumped a little. “Awe. I can’t believe I’m going to miss the championship.”

His mate rubbed against him, trying to ease his light burden, having no clue what they were talking about. Speaking of no clue, Amethyst decided to butt in.

“Hey, so not to be the tenth or eleventh tail out of the pile but what’s a ‘Discord’ that you ponies keep talking about?”

Just about everypony was about to answer in their own unique way. The many answers she got, in no particular order were-

“Annoying and lying-”

“Chaotic and unethical-”

“Freaky and odd looking-”

“Friendly and thoughtful-”

“Crazy and fun-”

“Destructive and naive-”

The words got lost but the last one came from the moon Princess herself who said, “An overgrown foal with the magic of gods but a mind more twisted and annoying then the buffoons of the Canterlot social life.”

Amethyst's response was, “Okay… I guess.” She didn’t ask anything else.

Ember decided to add her own input, changing the topic. “Well, I hope that now that Equestria is allied with these ‘changedlings’, the dragons can also benefit from this as well.”

“Whole heartedly, Dragon Lord Ember.” Celestia added. “We as two nations can unite properly and perhaps begin a sort of treaty between the three of us.”

“I motion for burps to be a form of greeting!” Amethyst quickly put in gleefully.

“I second it!” Rainbow Dash added in just as eagerly.

“What did I say about speaking for me, Amy?” Ember half growled in annoyance.

“Aww come on! You're telling me that we have a chance of creating an awesome new way of greetings and you won’t even give it a-!”

“No!”

As the group continued their idle chanter or bater, Spike had saw from his prephial, that one member of the group seemed to be held up and quiet. Glancing backwards, he saw Smolder walking slowly, taking in the sights and even halting momentarily to see the exotic colors of pony life.

Many bright and uniformly colors filled her vision, with some seeming to capture her eyes like a tasty gem. The green vegetation, the brightly colored houses and ponies, the food and more! Then she finally stopped right in front of a shop, Rarity’s Boutique, and saw the dresses on display on the mannequins. Her eyes sparkled and danced as she saw the unique and odd clothing. Two mares popped out from the door, wearing a set of dresses different from the displays but just as beautiful and sparkling.

She watched them laugh and pass by, twirling in their newly acquired wear. She was so caught off guard that Spike had been talking to her for a few moments.

“Smolder?” She jumped and looked up at her hoard member. Spike held a small smile on his face and followed her gaze to the ponies. “You see something that caught your attention?” Behind him, the others stopped, though they talked to Ember and Amethyst while Spike and Smolder talked.

Smolder gave a glance back at him and then refocused on the window display. “What are those?”

He followed her pointed claw to the dresses on the display. “Oh, well those are dresses. Ponies wear them for fun or for function. Most of the time, it's just to show their wealth and modesty.”

Smolder wrinkled her nose in thought then looked around at all the ponies in the area. “But… are ponies mostly naked?”

A nod left him and a small blush formed on his cheeks, barely visible to the eye. “Yeah… uh, some still feel like it’s a luxury thing while others prefer to be covered.” He bobbed his head to the mares that had just left. “They may feel important or pretty if they want, the dresses can be styled and customized to their taste. Some wear them casually, others for parties and events.” He then saw them pause by a cafe where tea and pastries were served. “Like that, they may feel like dressing up for something special.”

She watched as they giggled and laughed, then to be approached by a stallion who commented on their dresses. She watched them blush, the one with a light blue dress that caught her eyes, gave a twirl to the stallion that approved her choice.

Turning back to Spike, she asked. “Is that all there is to it? I mean, like I said, it seems pointless if they are naked all the time. Is there some kind of appeal in clothing that makes it more interesting?”

Spike paused, having a weird feeling creeping up on him at the idea of what she was asking. The immediate images that came to mind were the saddles, stockings and the other lingerie that he had seen in certain catalogues from Rarity’s shop.

In the back section...

Secured for adults...

A day when she was busy...

When he got curious...

And wasn’t supposed to look at...

“…”

Swallowing he gave a nod but decided to quickly change the topic before certain thoughts and images came to mind… especially of his mate… or hoard members…

“While there are some others, this is just the beginning and I am sure there are other things that Ponyville can surprise you.” He placed a gentle palm on her back and began to guide. “Come on, I am pretty sure that in the Dragon Lands, you never got anything as sweet or as tasty as a cupcake.”

As he guided her away, she gave a glance back at the dresses and only thought of a single word.

Pretty.’


The group was brought to Twilight’s castle where a giant banner with giant colorful letters was displayed outside saying ‘Welcome Home, Spike!’ and beneath it were ‘And welcome Dragon Lord and dragons alike!’

In a small relief, the ponies didn’t have to adjust or compensate for two large dragons like his mothers, so their leaving benefited both species. He felt weird that, despite only being a short time in his mind, the castle was still not his home. The tree house, how short the time was there, felt more like his home than here, but the space he had called on his own was still a welcoming thought.

Opening the two large doors, Spike and company were instantly greeted with a huge surprise shoutout by a portion of friends and family.

SURPRISE!!!”

The reactions were as follows...

Spike jumped but joy filled his heart as he was given a surprise party(somehow Pinkie Pie was already inside and at the front of the group).

Ember, having already dealt with the insane but demented and colorful ponies, only jumping like Spike, but slowly recovered and chuckled at the jumpscare.

The other two occupants had horrible reactions. Like a cat caught off guard with a pickle, they shrieked, jumped and then gave a draconic hiss/growl at the crowd.

No pony was affected by it because… it was Ponyville.

The ponies, however, did gasp at Spike’s apparent growth change, even Pinkie despite seeing him earlier, and he gave a sheepish wave to them all.

“Uh… Hiya everypony.'' He gave a small smile and acknowledged his change. “I uh… guess I have some explaining to do, huh?”


For the next hour and a half, explained the events of the last year as well as how it came to be that he was gone for so long. He did leave out some details and perhaps even lied a few things here and there, but told the story to the crowd and left a stunning impression. While many questions were asked, he did manage to answer what he could and he felt that, if they knew a bit more, it would ease some tension for them all.

However, the party of Spike’s return was an overall blast. He saw everypony here, from Applejack’s family minus Big Mac, to the Crusaders and few school friends, to his fellow fans from the Crystal Empire, to even Twilight’s parents. Said parents, were holding their granddaughter in their hooves.

Spike felt his heart soar upon seeing his surrogate mother and father figures, going so far as to approach with rapid haste. However… a whimper and fear driven look came from the bundle in velvet’s arm.

He slowed in front and looked at them. “Hey…” He wasn’t sure how to answer. It was so odd now, that he had a multitude of parents that it was difficult to call everyone that acted like his surrogate parents, ‘mother’ and ‘father’. While it was easier to call Nightlight ‘father’, with Velvet it was… difficult. Still, he went with it because he knew that they would accept it easily enough. “Mom… dad.”

Smiles filled their faces and unsteadily, they tried to reach for a hug, but Flurry’s whimpers of a stranger and looming dragon prevented them from getting close.

A sad smile formed on his snout, realizing that for almost a year, Flurry hadn’t seen him. Last time she saw him, he was just a bit taller then her. Now he was just at Celestia’s height, with more draconic features then before and perhaps… even intimidating.

“Hey Flurry…” He tried with a low voice, lowering himself to his knees to try and seem less intimidating. “You remember me right? You uncle Spike?'' Flurry blinked and tried to bury herself deeper into grandfather's arm.

Velvet gave a small sigh and wrapped an arm around him in comfort. “It’s okay Spike, just give her time. She’ll recognize you again.”

While it did hurt to see his niece scared of him, he felt the vibes of many others to be the same. A few awkward stares here and there didn’t help but the smiles of his friends and family mattered to him the most.

Then… came the entrance no creature saw coming. A magical burst of chaotic energy, with the sound of trumpets.

Now… the fact that Ponyville had endured a lot and expected a lot of chaos because of Discord, the CMC and Twilight's friends, nothing really bothered them. Most if not all of them… knew something was going to happen to alter the party.

Those new, unfamiliar or just downright scared of their own shadows, would come to realize that indeed… the ponies, especially in this little town have developed a backbone or.. grew accustomed to the havoc around them.

A powerful burst of magical energy from the back caused a way of squeaks, cries and growls of startlement as they arrived. The ponies used to it merely glanced before continuing the party or trying to calm down the newcomers.

Discord, Big Macintosh and Sunburst all arrived. Each of them were decorated in their own unique costume, carrying bags of merchandise and even had a few boxes wrapped in gifts.

“Oh, we are just in time!” A chipper Discord answered. “Welcome back, my dear and wonderful Spike!”

“Discord!” While his draconic companions were recovering from the initial blast of the entrance, they were unsure of what they were looking at.

Spike ran to them, though the trio were unintentionally taken aback by Spike’s sudden change of appearance. “My oh my!” Exclaimed Discord, happy to see his best friend but actually(Not really, come on author!)-surprised to Spike looked completely different. “It seems we have missed much of our Spike’s little growth spurt.”

Spike chuckled and stood in front of them upon approach and while it was surreal how tall he had gotten, seeing that as of now, he stood taller than Big Mac. The biggest pony in Ponyville was now smaller than him and while nothing didn't really faze the big red stallion, he did find himself a bit lost on words.

Still, he saw a friend grow right before his eyes not even a year ago, he still saw him as a friend. Both him and Discord saw nothing really different.

Unceremoniously, both stallion and Draconequus went up to the dragon and brought him into a hug. Spike was caught off guard by this, especially from these two but a small tear did leave him at knowing that his friends from O & O didn’t care about his changes, they were just happy he was back. He hugged both of them back and the crowd let out a long and happy ‘awww’ at the reunion of his friends.

While not something entirely filled with love they normally observed, the Changedlings that were present could feel the love of Friendship that radiated from the trio.

Upon separation, the trio immediately began to ask many questions with Discord being the most vocal. “Oh you have no idea how much we missed you, being gone most of season six and all of seven now. With a movie just around a corner, we have so much dialogue that can be skipped to catch up on!”

While used to Discord’s complex and confusing behavior, all Big Mac gave was ‘Eeyup’ and that was a satisfying answer.

Sunburst, being the new member of the group, was still shy and a bit worried about taking Spike’s place in their O&O game, Spike was just happy they didn’t stop playing because of his absence.

Though they each had their questions, Spike decided to add his answers, by bringing in his hoard. He waved them over; the three dragoness cautiously made their way over to the strange… mixed match of animal body parts… creature.

Seeing the three dragonesses, Discord instantly perked up. “Oh, I see! Our dear Spike here has gotten himself a herd now! Ohh, how wonderful…” He paused, then slumped. A song began to form in his head

“I can see what’s happening, and they don’t have a clue…” He sang lowly. Then another pause. “And our trio’s down to two.”

Sunburst looked up at Discord in confusion and the Draconequus gave him a quick wink. “It’s part of a musical sketch, stick with it!”

The unicorn blinked and sighed. “I haven’t spent enough time with you to deal with this.”


Spike introduced Ember, Smolder and Amethyst to his buddies, though Sunburst was the new addition, he still regarded him as a fellow friend.

“Guys, this is my Hoard, which is the proper term for a group of dragons.”

“Ladies.” Big Mac slightly bowed with respect. Sunburst gave a small wave while Discord smiled.

“Hello! I am Q, short for… oh wait, different ‘franchise’. Anywho, I am Discord, your local chaotic and friendly draconequus. Former and reformed havoc overlord.”

Ember was skeptical about Discord, remembering the stories of all the evil he had caused a thousand years ago and was just remembering them when she brought up his name earlier. Smolder was just thrown off at seeing something so… different. Amethyst, meanwhile, had enough stupidity or bravery or both to come up close to him and released a long burp of a flame in front of his face.

“Sup! Official-”

“Draco Dammit, Amy!” Ember half roared.

“-My... official greetings from the Dragon Lands! As the second member of the Dragon Lord!” She said with much enthusiasm.

Discord who had gotten a slight singe from the flame breath, shook his head to brush off the ash before grinning and burped back, though instead of fire, it was a flame of chocolate. “And I, Discord, second season villian and reformed Lord of Chaos, accept your greeting with much pleasure!”

Amethyst turned to Ember with a cocky grin. “See? Even this dude gets it!”

“Uggh!” The Dragon Lord threw her arms up in defeat.


The party had gone into the night and it was slowing down a tad though it helped that it lasted longer with the inclusion of the changelings. Spiked had received many gifts for his return.

From his immediate family and friends, he got a variety of gifts. Twilight gave him a small book, which while he knew her gifts were based on books, this one was the information given by Ember about Dragons. While it was published by Twilight, it held the titles of ‘Co-written’ by ‘Dragon Lord Ember and Spike Sparkle.’

He actually felt excluded because he was asleep but it was something he really appreciated.

Applejack brought her signature apple delicacies of tarts and pies, made especially for him that had ruby dust along with a jar of Zap Apple Jam from this recent season and had gone, rushed home and brought back a bottle of Hard Cider. Something he was eager to share with his hoard.

Rarity, through some whining and shame, had made him clothing, but… that was about many feet and inches ago. She did promise to make it up to him and even make some for his hoard.

A small sparkle of hope and curiosity came from Smolder.

Pinkie Pie already delivered the party and sapphire cake made for him, but she also seemed to plan ahead with other dragons and made an assortment of cupcakes with different jewels, gems and other goodies made especially for dragons. Smolder and Amethyst were wide-eyed at the different colors and tastes they got to experience. They were allowed to go all out, which left a mess.

Rainbow Dash actually came out with the surprise that not only did she make it as a Wonderbolt but any time Spike and company wanted to see her or the other ‘Bolts’, she could get them backstage, V.I.P passes and even free merch. The present she gave him was a life-size cloud statue of his ‘-then’ size and likeness. Ember cooed and giggled along with Amethyst and Smolder at the attention to detail, especially at the size of his former self.

Fluttershy asked Discord to bring back something for him from the convention. Discord over-delivered it, so much merch and stuff, that when Discord snapped his digits to bring it in, Spike was instantly buried in O&O stuff.

It took the effort of Ember, Smolder, and Amethyst to dig him out in a joint rescue, successfully freeing their hoard member. Ember was angry but Amethyst and Smolder laughed at the merch that happened to land on him.

From them, Big Mac and Sunburst each got him something. A rare limited edition of his character, down to the detail of his younger self as well as a board and poster of said merch, signed by the creators themselves. Now he was really wishing to have gone to the convention.

From the Crystal Empire… not including Shining Armor, Cadence and Flurry, his fellow fans from there had brought… a literal carts worth of crystals to eat. When asked to stand by the door of the entrance, Spike and his hoard witness eight crystal guards, pulled in and bring in a cart, normally for trains, at the entrance and filled to the brim with crystals.

Amethyst, Smolder and Ember had their jaws drop to the floor at the amount of crystals that were given. Spike felt a bit overwhelmed that the Crystal Empire would give up much of their crystals just for him. “I thank you for all of this but I don’t think we need all that crystal, it’s way too mu- mmmpH!” He felt a set of claws wrap around his face, all his face, with three different claws held him close and shut his mouth.

Three very stern and angry dragonesses were all growling at him if he dared not accept this WONDERFUL gift, from these gracious ponies!

The growls were the only warning he got and gave the Crystal Ponies a nod of acceptance unwillingly.

Securing the Crystals for later, the last few gifts came from many other members of the party. Celestia and Luna said they had some gifts at the Castle that could wait for tomorrow(as a surprise) and the day of the Friendship Festival.

Ember was actually filled with a sense of joy to see that many ponies and non-ponies could be so welcoming, it was so surreal. She, along with Smolder and Amy, saw first claw at how ponies would treat you, regardless of species, as something respectable to the point it was unheard of in the Dragon Lands, regardless of title or name.

Some of the younger ponies; foals…if that was the right term... That he used to interact with, now saw him in a different light. Sure they knew that he had grown, the orange one with purple mane and tail was a bit jealous that he now had larger wings, but they seemed to enjoy his bigger height. An instant, five or six foals were instantly over him or bouncing around him, jumping in joy and asking him a dozen questions while pulling on his ligaments.

The foals were innocent to what had happened to him and she felt like that was necessary. However, she also remembered that Spike was also innocent. He was… technically a whelp in the mind of a teenage dragon. Physically, he was a teenager but mentally… he was still an adolescent. He was smart for one, but he was still young mentally.

But his innocence showed in this moment, surrounded by his peers that once shared his size and perhaps views on the world.

At the same time… his interaction with them also brought up some foresight as to how he may interact with young dragons. Perhaps hatchlings, perhaps their own.

Hers, Smolder… maybe not Amy but it was just enough if it was hers alone. As he continued his playful banter with them, a smile formed at the corners and her heart swelled.

The true heart of enlightenment came when Flurry Heart, having been watching from a distance and seeing Spike’s interaction with everyone, had finally remembered Spike.

She flew off, with some struggle to get loose from her Grandparents, towards him. She nearly crashed into his head, sending him nearly over but managed to catch himself by using his tails and wings to stabilize himself.

“Pike!” She said, her bubbly half language. “Unc Pike!”

Spike looked at the giant form covering his face and managed to see that it was his niece Flurry.

He laughed and tried to pull her off, unsuccessfully. The crowd laughed at the humour but it was a heartwarming sight to see a wonderful reunion.


Thorax was happy to feel the warmth and slow acceptance of his kin amongst ponies. Yeah he could still feel a few unsure and uneasy feelings from many ponies, including a few non-ponies, but the majority of the positive outweigh the negative.

Spike’s attitude and insight on how you can never truly please everyone, was held up because a few ponies, he had interactions with before, kept away.

“I grew in size, I gained wings and I look more like my kind than ever before. I know I will never gain everypony’s trust or favor, but as long as they see I am still the same dragon as before, I won’t get angry.”

For Thorax and the ‘changelings’ it was a matter of not being like they were before but trying to change for the better. For his sake, for the hives sake, and perhaps for a better future for all parties.

Though sadly, Thorax had been part of the party but had yet to fully introduce himself to Spike, mostly out of respect to him but also… something close to fear. He stood towards the back, watching the interactions and taking insight from everyone.

As he stood there, he was gently interrupted by Twilight and Starlight.

“Hey Thorax, are you enjoying yourself?” Asked Twilight.

The newly crowned King of Bugs gave a small nod and a smile, though it was half hearted at best.

“I am and I really appreciate that the ponies here are so understanding and welcoming, I wasn’t even sure if it was a good idea to come out in public yet.”

Starlight gave him a soft hoof pat on his shoulder. “I know it was a risk and all, but I know that if ponies are willing to forgive a pony like me, whom if you already know nearly destroyed Equestria on multiple occasions,” she chuckled albeit embarrassed and half heartedly, she continued on. “-I am pretty sure they’ll accept fully the changedling race in no time.”

A small nod left him but he still remained silent. Feeling the tension, Thorax spoke lowly.

“We have never been good with any race, especially dragons. They have been the biggest problems we have faced, especially with Chrysalis’s rule.”

“I don’t think that your species is the only one to have problems with dragons, Thorax.'' Twilight answered honestly. “Dragons don’t have a good track record of working well with other species, weather changeling, ponies or others.”

A shake of his head. “But Chrysalis always pushed harder against dragons. She believed that because they were big, they would give the biggest source of love. Their greedy love for their hoard or their hatchlings, she would try to steal it but it was always difficult for her. She even raged for years about how she could never shapeshift into their size or power. Always below them, merely a bug to them. She has at times almost been killed by them.”

Twilight and Starlight looked at each other in worry. Their nemesis was evil but to truly believe that she had the ability to take on dragons? She was truly insane.

Had Thorax finished the conversation there, the evening would have ended with a somewhat light hearted ending. His final words would forever burn in their minds and perhaps… even look at Chrysalis, the former queen in a darker, crueler view than before. Thorax sighed and shook his head lightly, looking at Spike as he continued to have fun alongside Ember, their hoard and ponies.


“... I just wished Chrysalis never stole that dragon egg centuries ago. A hatchling and a village are gone because of her greed and pride. ”

Author's Note:

Wow... that ending. I didnt see that coming.... i swear...
Anyways, its a bit rushed and misspells but I hope i can fix it.
Also a blog has been posted regarding everything here
Here
Thanks for reading!