• Published 23rd Jan 2019
  • 3,638 Views, 81 Comments

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic What If?: Volume 8 - SuperPinkBrony12



The eighth installment of a What If series that involves the rewriting of episodes. This one covers one episode each from Seasons 5-7, and then eleven rewrites of Season 8 episodes. (Warning!: Rewrites based on personal opinion. Please respect it!)

  • ...
6
 81
 3,638

S8 E8: The Parent Tracks, Part 1 (The Parent Map What If?)

Author's Note:

This was a suggestion from Comickook, who proposed the idea of making the rewrite of "The Parent Map" a two parter and splitting the focus. One part on Starlight and Firelight, the other part on Sunburst and Stellar Flare. In this case, the episodes being treated as a two parter would be done in the show's perspective to ensure the episodes were billed together and not broken apart if production order did not match episode order.

I once again borrow inspiration from milesprower06's fic "A Glimmer of the Past: Daddy Issues" which presented the headcanon that Starlight's mom died in childbirth. However, due to the nature of the fic and the content within in it, I will not link to it here.

I'll cover more of the problems plaguing the original "The Parent Map" in part two, but some of the biggest issues right off the bat are that it is a map mission that has no business being one (Sunburst has no ties to Ponyville besides Starlight, which is a distant connection at best) and the original plot involving whether to preserve the town's past or set up new shops for the future is resolved and discarded by the end of the first act and it isn't until the last few minutes that the real conflict is even revealed (Starlight and Sunburst's relationship with their parents).

And yes, there is the detail of Starlight being a latch key kid as was mentioned by Josh Haber (he said he planned to include parents for Starlight in flashbacks in both "The Cutie Re-Mark" and "The Crystalling" but they were cut).

Episodes to be rewritten:
Bloom and Gloom
The Times They Are a Changeling
Discordant Harmony (Bonus Chapter)
Fake It 'Til You Make It (Bonus Chapter)
The Parent Tracks Parts 1 and 2 (Two parter of The Parent Map)
Molt Down
Marks for Effort
A Matter of Principals
Friendship University
Yakity-Sax
The Washouts
A Rockhoof and a Hard Place
Mother Knows Least? (Father Knows Beast)

Whenever he wasn't busy serving as Flurry Heart's foalsitter (which was quite often), Sunburst liked to spend his days in his house with his nose stuck in a book. There were so many fascinating things to learn about. The Crystal Empire's library contained many ancient tomes and spell books that no one else had ever heard of before.

But today the crystaller's reading was interrupted by a knock on the door. With a light sigh the stallion rose from his comfortable reading position and went to answer the door.

On the other side stood a mail pony holding out a letter with a familiar red ribbon seal to it. Sunburst took the letter into his magic and thanked the mail pony for the delivery. But once safely back in the comfort of his own home and away from judging eyes, the stallion tossed the letter into a nearby wastebasket where several letters with a similar seal had already begun to pile up. The reasons for said pile up were known only to Sunburst himself and he was going to keep it that way. "I should probably tell the mail pony to stop delivering those letters to me, though. But you think by now the sender would've gotten the message, I don't want to come back home and I don't need to come back home," He thought quite firmly. "I'm perfectly fine where I am and nothing is going to change that!"

Just then, however, there was another knock at the door. Groaning a bit, Sunburst again rose to answer it. Despite the interruption he tried his best to put a smile on his face. "Yes?" He greeted, expecting a visitor.

Instead, it was the same mail pony as before. And this time he held out a letter that had no seal to it. "Just got this a short while ago. Express delivery." He informed Sunburst.

Sunburst accepted the letter without hesitation even as he wondered who it might be from or what it might say. He certainly hoped it wasn't a trick though.

Opening the letter, Sunburst's eyes scanned the letter from top to bottom. And when he had finished he nearly gasped in shock and surprise! "No, it can't be!"

The letter simply read:

Sunburst,

Come to Ponyville right away! There are some ponies here who'd like to meet us, and I think you know who I'm talking about.

Sincerely,

Starlight Glimmer

Fearing the worst, Sunburst immediately rushed out of his home and headed for the train station! If Starlight was calling him to Ponyville at a time like this, it could only mean one thing and he didn't like it at all.

One nagging thought lingered in his mind as the crystaller boarded the train for Ponyville a short time later. "Why'd it have to be them?"

The entire train ride to Ponyville lasted much shorter than Sunburst would've liked. Before he knew it he was stepping onto the platform, taking in the sights and sounds of Ponyville.

Of course the stallion with a coat of orange knew there was only one place where he had to go. Twilight's castle (which was now adjacent to the recently constructed School of Friendship). He sprinted away as fast as his legs would let him, even though another part of him told him he should take his time.

When at last Sunburst reached the castle, he was sweaty and out of breath. "It seemed like such a short distance from the station," He panted. "How does Starlight never tire out from constantly going back and forth all day?"

After taking a moment to catch his breath, Sunburst reluctantly lifted up a hoof and knocked on the castle doors. They swung open a moment later, as Spike was there to greet him. "Hey, Sunburst. Good to see you again." The little dragon spoke with a bright smile.

"Good to see you too, Spike. Now where's Starlight?" Sunburst asked.

"In the library of course," Spike replied. "Need me to show you the way? It's easy to get lost around here."

Sunburst shook his head in protest. "No thanks, Spike. I've been here before and I'm pretty sure I still know the way. The library is all the way down the hall and then the third door on the right, right?"

"Yup." Spike declared.

"Good, just making sure. Though to be honest, getting lost might actually be a good idea this time," The crystaller nervously admitted. "I mean, I know that'd be rude and everything, but considering who I'm about to meet I think you'd forgive me for thinking that way."


After only a little bit of searching Sunburst reached the throne room. The moment he'd been dreading ever since he'd gotten that letter from Starlight had finally arrived.

Pushing open the throne room doors, Sunburst's eyes immediately fell upon two very familiar ponies. The one on the left was a unicorn stallion with a grayish-purple coat considerably darker than Starlight's, a two tone sea green mane and tail that looked like toothpaste, brown eyes, and a cutie mark depicting a flickering flame. He wore a red buttoned jacket with a yellow necktie.

But it was the mare on the right who attracted Sunburst's attention more. She was a unicorn with a brilliant orange coat, except for the very pale apple green splotches on the bottom of her hooves. She had very brilliant (and light) green eyes, a curly mane and tail three shades of moderate scarlet, and a cutie mark depicting an orange swirl with a sun in it. She currently had a blue necktie and a pearl necklace on. Sunburst recognized her at once, she was his mother: Stellar Flare. And the stallion accompanying her could only be Firelight, Starlight's father.

"Ah, there you are, Sunburst," Stellar Flare happily declared. "We've been waiting for almost half an hour now. You know it's very rude to keep guests waiting."

"Good to see you too, Mom." Sunburst grumbled under his breath, and a quick glance across to Starlight revealed that he was not the only one not exactly thrilled to see one of his parents again.

Firelight was too busy pinching Starlight's cheeks to take any notice of Sunburst's gloomy behavior. "Oh my gosh, you are just as cutsie-wootsie as ever, sugar plum!" Then he laughed. "Gosh, it has really been so long since your old stallion's seen you? I can't be that old, can I?"

Starlight groaned. "Dad, please, not in front of Sunburst! I'm going to die of embarrassment!"

"Oh, but if you did that you'd miss the chance to see your foalhood home of Sire's Hollow. I've been working extra hard to preserve our town's rich history for my little pumpky-wumpkin." Firelight cooed.

Starlight narrowed her eyebrows. "Dad, I thought you promised not to say anymore pumpky-wumpkins in public!" As she spoke she swore she could hear a muffled laugh from Sunburst.

Firelight just whispered. "Sorry, chipmunks cheeks." And he was only stopped by a hoof from his daughter.

"What part of don't do that don't you understand?" Starlight growled in protest. "This is exactly why I didn't want to tell you where I went after I left Sire's Hollow all those years ago."

"And whyever not? You seem to be doing quite well for yourself," Firelight cooed. "The first student of the Princess of Friendship, and a guidance counselor at her school."

"If only you knew the rest of my past, I wonder if you'd be so proud of me." Starlight thought but didn't say anything.

"You've really gotta come back home, silly filly," Firelight went on. "There's so much you've missed out on since you've been away. But don't worry, I formed the Sire's Hollow Preservation Society for just such a reason."

Stellar Flare snorted. "Firelight, you know we talked about this. You can't preserve everything in that town. I've got plans to bring the town into the future, and your little society is a problem."

Firelight angrily replied. "I thought we had a deal. You get your half to do whatever you want, make it a discount Las Pegasus. But the most important parts of town belong to me so that I can preserve them."

Stellar Flare blushed. "Oh, right. Silly me. We worked out that deal in the first month after you formed that preservation society. As you put it 'It'll be a way for our children and their children to remember their roots'."

Firelight added with a wink. "And let's not forget that we came all this way here to reconnect with our children, not drag them into silly disputes."

"But... how did you know to look for me here, or that I'd be able to reach Sunburst?" Starlight questioned.

"Sweetie, you should know the answer to that by now," Firelight chuckled. "You're in all the papers. Tracking you down was easy enough. And I figured that wherever you might be, Sunburst wouldn't be too far away. You were both inseparable when you were foals, it's like you never wanted to grow up."

Stellar Flare even teased. "I can't believe you two aren't already married. I would've expected grandfoals by now."

Now it was Sunburst's turn to blush. "Mom!" He whined.

Stellar chuckled as she apologized. "Just kidding, Sunburst. Don't tell me you've lost your sense of humor. When you were my little colt you'd laugh at just about anything."

"Because I had a terrible sense of humor back then." Sunburst thought to himself but didn't dare to say it outloud.

"All jokes aside, Stellar Flare and I were hoping you two wouldn't mind a trip back to Sire's Hollow," Firelight spoke up. "We both agreed it'd be the best way to reconnect."

"Why not do it here in Ponyville? We're both here, and I know my way around," Starlight suggested. "I could show you all the sights and sounds, and Sunburst could tell you all about his life in the Crystal Empire."

"You live in the Crystal Empire now, Sunburst?!" Stellar Flare exclaimed! "No wonder none of my letters have reached you! I hope you've got a plan if you're going to live in a remote place like that."

Sunburst growled. "I don't need a plan, Mom."

"Oh of course you do. Plans are always important," Stellar Flare explained. "This whole trip back to Sire's Hollow was a plan that I thought of. And this way your father will also get a chance to see what's become of his little wizard."

Firelight was quick to add. "Sweetie, haven't you wished you could get away from all the stresses of life? Go back to a place where everything made sense and would never change no matter what? If you come back to Sire's Hollow, you'll get just that. You won't be the princess' student, or a guidance counselor. You'll be just like the little filly I knew. Heck, you can even stay in your old room, Punky Wunk. It's exactly like you left it!"

Starlight gulped! If her dad was being serious then she already had a really good idea of what her room would look like. The drapes pulled shut as not to let any natural light in, various skull themes, bat pony plushies, and even the stray guitar or two. "Why would he keep all the things from that phase I was going through?!" She thought with dread.

Sunburst opened his mouth to protest. "Um... as much as I would like to do that I don't think that would be a very good idea. I'm... pretty busy right now."

However, Twilight (who had overheard the conversations up to this point) suggested. "I think that's a fantastic idea! A getaway might be just what you all need to reconnect."

"Twilight, I appreciate the gesture but you really don't know what my relationship with my father was like," Starlight protested. "Remember how I told you I was a latch key kid? It's partially because of what my dad was like. Sunburst's parents were always around for me more than my dad was."

"All the more reason why you two could probably benefit from some one on one quality time. And if you're here in Ponyville, you'd be too close to me. I wouldn't want to feel like I'm intruding." Twilight encouraged.

"But Twilight, what if we don't want to go back to Sire's Hollow? What if there's a very good reason why we've been avoiding it?" Sunburst protested.

At that moment, Spike came walking in. "Sounds like the time I accidentally arranged for Thorax and Ember to be in Ponyville on the same day at the same time. I spent all my time trying to keep the two from meeting, only to make things ten times worse when they did anyway. Take it from a dragon who's been around this block, the more you try to ignore something or put it off, the worse it becomes when it finally catches up to you," And then he added. "Besides, it could be just like that zeppelin cruise Twilight and I went on with the whole Sparkle family last year. Now that's what I call a vacation! And Starlight, Celestia knows how much you could use one with how hard you've been working."

"It'd only be for this weekend," Firelight added. "I wouldn't want to keep my precious little filly from her grown-up responsibilities."

Stellar was all too keen to add. "And we can discuss the plans for your future while we're there, Sunburst. Maybe we could set up some interviews so you can stay and work in Sire's Hollow."

"I already have a job, Mom!" Sunburst protested. "And if I come with you back to Sire's Hollow, will you stop breathing down my neck about it, please?"

"And if I go back to Sire's Hollow, do you promise not to go so overboard on the whole 'treating me like a filly'?" Starlight pleaded with her dad.

Firelight nodded. "Of course, pu... I mean, Starlight. Now come on, we're going to miss the train!"


The entrance to Sire's Hollow was marked by a large gate that neither Starlight or Sunburst could remember being there before.

"Like it? It was Stellar Flare's idea," Firelight explained with a smile. "It used to also say 'Welcome to Sire's Hollow!' every time you opened it but we had to remove it. The recording kept getting stuck."

"That's what the welcoming committee is for and you know it!" Stellar Flare said with a grin. "And just look at all they have to be proud of. A smoothie shop where ponies can drink their fruits, an essence stand for the latest perfumes, what more could a pony need?"

"And you can't forget the old library and bakery," Firelight declared. "They sure don't build them like they used to."

"It sure feels weird to be back in town again after all this time," Starlight commented to Sunburst. "This is gonna be a long weekend, I just know it."

Sunburst nodded. "Yeah, but we already agreed to it. The best we can try to do is grin and bare it. If we haven't died of embarrassment come Monday, we can just put this all behind us."

Firelight started to grin from ear to ear. "Come on, sweetie," He cooed to Starlight. "It's time Daddy took you home. I'm sure you must be tired after that long train ride here."

"I am not tired, Dad!" Starlight protested.

Firelight just laughed. "Come on, you don't have to lie to me. I know all your secrets. Like the fact that you're a loud snorer, or that you used to sleepwalk. Honestly, it got so bad I thought I was gonna have to put a bell around you."

Stellar Flare laughed too. "Don't forget about how you and Sunburst liked to play Dragon Pit all the time. It was a struggle to get either of you to want to do anything else. By the way, Sunburst, do you have better control over your horn now?"

Sunburst growled. "Yes, Mother! If I didn't, could I have been admitted to Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns?"

"How was it over there? Starlight used to write letters to you all the time, but you never answered any of them," Firelight inquired. "It really tore her up inside. I never thought the day would come when I'd see her back here all grown up and happy," He then turned to Stellar Flare. "You and Sunburst go ahead and have a look about the town. My precious little pony and I have a lot to catch up on. And there are some things I want to show her!"


Firelight led a reluctant Starlight to the house she had spent her childhood in. It was indeed just like she had left it. "At least that hasn't changed. I'm surprised my dad seems to have taken this so well up to this point." She thought to herself as she trotted inside and set her saddle bags down.

"See, I told you everything would be just as you left it, honey bun," Firelight continued to cue. "It's like you never left at all."

"But I did!" Starlight protested. "I ran away from home. And I didn't automatically move in with the princess either."

Firelight simply smiled. "I'm just glad my little pumpky wumpkin is finally back where she belongs, back where her old stallion can keep her safe and sound. Now how's about a little nap? I want you well rested when I take you out to see the town later."

"I already said I'm not tired!" Starlight growled at her dad. "I appreciate the gesture but I've long since outgrown the need for naps, especially since I kicked my sleepwalking habit."

Firelight grinned. "I'll bet you still snore like an Ursa Major though. Celestia knows you gave me more than a few sleepless nights with your snoring," Then he held out an old, worn, and dusty piece of cloth. "Not to worry though, I made sure to hold onto everything you cherished. Maybe you'll feel better about taking a nap if you got to hold onto your bwanky?" He proceeded to tie it into a bonnet around Starlight's head.

The mare groaned. "I'm not a foal, Dad! You don't need to keep babying me all the time, I'm perfectly capeable of taking care of myself," She sniffed a bit. "Ugh! And this blanket is so old, when's the last time it was washed?"

"Never," Her father answered. "Too many memories associated with it. Now that you're here though, it probably could use a wash. I can throw it in and have it dried in time for bed time tonight, but that means you won't have it for nap time."

"I don't want a nap, Dad! Please, can we just go take a look around town for the day?" Starlight pleaded.

"You sure you don't at least want some milk and cookies? It was your favorite snack you know." Firelight held out the objects in the brilliant gamboge glow of his horn.

Starlight was going to protest but a loud rumble from her stomach silenced her will to do so. Come to think of it she hadn't really eaten anything at all since this morning. "Fine, I guess a quick snack won't hurt. But that's it."

Firelight just smiled. "There's that sweet little filly I used to love coming home to every day. It's like she's barely changed at all," He thought. "Whatever hardships she's faced in the past, I'll make sure she doesn't have to be reminded of them now."


After an admittedly hearty and fulfilling snack, Starlight allowed herself to accept her father's hoof. Though not before she used her magic to undo the blanket tied to her head and set it aside. She didn't want to be seen in such an embarrassing state.

Meanwhile, Firelight was eagerly absorbing all the little details he'd learned about his daughter. "You mean to tell me you actually turned yourself and Sunburst into foals at one point? I knew you didn't really wanna grow up, sweet pea. But that's why you have me. Dad doesn't care how big or little you feel on the inside, you'll always be his little pumpky wumpkin."

"Dad, again, you promised to cut down on the baby talk," Starlight reminded him. "So please knock it off. I am this close to regretting my decision to come here. I appreciate the kind gesture but I'm a full grown pony and wish to be treated as such. I don't need blankets and I don't need to take naps."

Her dad seemed to agree. "Fair point, sweetie. Although I get the feeling that there are still some things you're not telling me about your past."

"Like what?" Starlight nervously asked. "What else is there to tell?"

"Where did you end up before you became Princess Twilight's student?" The elder unicorn asked his daughter, his tone of voice indicating more of a curious intent than anything else. "Come on, you can tell me. What are parents for?"

Starlight gulped. "Can I really tell him about my past? About what I did while I was on my own? What if he thinks I'm some kind of freak because of all that?" She thought to herself. "If it could reduce Sunburst to silence, I can't begin to imagine what it'd do to my dad. Especially because of how mad I still am at him." She was quick to respond. "You don't need to know every little detail about me, Dad. Wouldn't you rather hear what I've been getting up to now, as a guidance counselor? I mean, so far things have been pretty quiet at the school but I'm sure that before long I'll be up to my neck in students. Did I also tell you about the time I foalsat the princess' niece? Or the time I visited the changeling hive?"

"Wow! Never a dull moment in your life, huh, honey bun?" Firelight commented. "If not for the fact that I'm so attached to this town I'd move to Ponyville in a heartbeat, just so I could be with you. And it'd be a great way to get to know any potential son-in-laws."

"Seriously? What is it with you and Sunburst's mom? Why are you too so eager for us to have families of our own?" Starlight complained. "I'm perfectly happy being single right now, and I'm sure Sunburst feels the same way. We'll start families whenever we feel we're ready. Considering how I managed foalsitting a princess, I'm perfectly okay with waiting before I have any foals of my own. They're so much of a hoofful, it's like they never run out of energy!"

Firelight giggled. "That's funny, Stellar Flare told me how much you and Sunburst used to run her ragged when you were foals," Then he fondly sighed. "I can still remember how much Stellar Flare and her husband imprinted on you, Stellar Flare especially considering you grew up without a mom," A lone tear came into his eye. "I often wonder what would've happened had she been around to see the beautiful little filly she gave birth to grow up. Maybe I wouldn't have been away so much and you never would've run off."

"Great! Now I'm starting to feel guilty about not keeping in touch with him!" Starlight groaned in her mind. "It's not like I hated him, I just wasn't ready to make him a part of my life again. What was wrong with waiting until I was ready to see him again?" But she didn't dare to say it out loud.

"Ah, here we are!" Firelight declared as he proudly gestured a hoof. "The first and only library our town's ever had! Perfectly preserved for all to see. Come on, let's go inside. I have some ponies who'll be very interested to see what's become of the little filly that used to play stacking games with the books after hours."


Stepping inside, Starlight was surprised to see Sunburst and Stellar Flare were already at the library. Specifically at the librarian's desk.

"Firelight! My my, how funny to see you and Starlight here," Stellar Flare commented. "Why I was just talking to the librarian here about possibly letting Sunburst take her place. Sunburst always did like books."

Sunburst put a hoof to his forehead. "For the last time, Mom. I already have a job."

"A job you won't tell me about," Stellar replied. "Besides, wouldn't you want a job that makes good money and lets you make something of yourself? Plus, this way I can see you every day, and so can your father. Oh, how I wish he were back from his vacation to Las Pegasus so he could see this!"

"Well I know a certain silly filly who'd probably love to have her childhood friend working here," Firelight encouraged. "Sunburst would make an excellent librarian. Isn't that right, honey bun?"

"Sure, if he actually wanted or needed the job, which he doesn't," Starlight protested. "And before you ask, no, I'm not giving up my position as guidance counselor and acting headmare should Twilight have to leave. After everything Twilight's done for me, I owe it to her to help oversee her school and make it a dream come true. I'm starting to think I should hire Sunburst to come be my assistant there, just so he has a reason not to have his mom breathing down his neck the way you are with me."

Firelight only shook his head. "Oh, do I sense my little filly is acting up? I would hate to have you pay a visit to the time out corner, honey bun."

"Again, Dad, I'm not a little filly," Starlight sighed and groaned. "This is exactly why I've been avoiding coming back here to see you. Because I knew you'd treat me this way!"

"Honey bun-" Firelight began.

Starlight threw up a hoof. "I'm not done! You show up in my life after all these years and you seem to act like nothing's changed, like everything's still good. But we both know that's a lie. Things change, I've changed! The sweet and innocent little filly you once knew is gone! I've done things... terrible things! Things I wish more than anything I could take back, but I can't!"

"Sweetie, it can't be that bad. If you were truly some kind of horrible monster, which you aren't, you wouldn't be such a successful pony right now," Firelight sweetly replied. "Please, whatever your past is, it doesn't have to haunt you here. I'm your father, a father's job is to listen and to understand."

"You say that, and yet if you knew the truth about what I did you'd be scared out of your wits and want nothing to do with me!" Starlight protested as tears welled up inside her. "I'm a terrible daughter! It was so easy for me to blame you for not being around because of work, when in fact I was the one who ran away the moment my friend got his cutie mark before me! I tried to take cutie marks away from other ponies and tried to alter the past so I could come out on top! Is that really a pony you think you could understand?!"

Firelight's mouth dropped open in shock! The stallion found himself at a loss for words. "S...Starlight, I..."

The mare just sobbed and turned around. "No, don't look at me! Coming back here was a mistake! I can't relive the past, because I'm not the pony you think I am!" And she ran off without another word.

"Starlight, wait!" Firelight pleaded but it was no use, his daughter ran off and disappeared.


Starlight was still sobbing to herself by the fountain in the middle of town when she received a visit sometime later from Sunburst of all ponies. "Hey, Starlight," He greeted, his tone of voice sounding noticeably somber. "Looks like you had quite the break down back there."

"I'll say," Starlight sighed as her sobs died down a little. Her voice became raspy and her eyes were stained red. "It's just, I don't know what I'm supposed to do. On the one hoof I don't want my dad treating me like a little filly because I'm all grown up, but on the other hoof I'm terrified of what'll happen when he finds out what a horrible pony I was. And I can't blame him for the decisions I made myself."

"Hey, you're not the only one whose parent has been driving them crazy since before we even got here," Sunburst replied as he gestured a hoof to hold Starlight's neck. "I think my mom took the news of me flunking out of Celestia's school really hard, she's been trying to come up with 'plans' for my future. But I've already picked out one, I'm happy with the pony I am now."

"That's easy for you to say, Sunburst. The worst you ever did was shut yourself off from the world for a while," Starlight responded in her raspy voice. "You can still come back to your parents and say you're a good pony."

Sunburst adjusted his glasses. "Well you are too. Look at all the wonderful things you've accomplished in the past two years."

"But does any of that compare to almost destroying Equestria to get what I wanted?" Starlight nervously asked. "Your parents were always around growing up, your parents could be there for you no matter what. You're not the one who was a latch key filly that stayed up at night, waiting for her dad to come home. You're not the one who ran away without even telling said dad where she was going. And for him to just act like it's all okay, that it's like it never even happened, it just doesn't feel right to me. And what's even worse is that he seems intent to treat me like I'm his little filly, like it was only yesterday I ran away."

"And you haven't told him any of this?" Sunburst asked to which Starlight shook her head. "Well then, you know that's what you need to do. Regardless of what may happen, your father has a right to know. And if you don't tell him how you feel, how he's going to know he's not treating you right?"

Starlight looked up at Sunburst. "And what if I tell him, and he wants nothing to do with me? What if I tell him and he disowns me on the spot? What then?"

"Well, you'll still have me to support you. I'm one pony that knows you're a good pony inside, flaws and everything," Sunburst reassured his troubled friend. "I can go with you if you'd like."

But Starlight leaped to her hooves. "No, Sunburst! This is something I have to do on my own! If not, how can I call myself a good guidance counselor? I just hope that when it's over, I won't have destroyed the relationship with my father forever."


Starlight raced back to the library only to find no trace of her father anywhere. "Excuse me? Do you know where Firelight went?" She asked the librarian.

"Went back home. Said he wanted to be alone to do some thinking." The librarian answered without looking up from her desk.

Starlight raced out of the library a second later, though not without saying "Thank you" to the librarian. Despite her growing anxiety, nothing could stop her head long rush back to her home.

She found her dad in the first floor study, idly scribbling and then erasing some things on a blackboard. He appeared to be deep in thought about something.

Firelight was only alerted to the presence of his daughter when she cleared her throat. He was slow to turn around and face her. "Oh... honey bun... er I mean, Starlight," He quickly corrected himself. "What a... surprise to see you back here. Don't mind your old stallion, just wondering about silly things you wouldn't care about."

Starlight took a deep breath. She knew that this was the part of her visit back to Sire's Hollow that she'd been most dreading. But in her mind the unicorn knew she needed to do this. She'd been putting it off for far too long. "Dad, I think it's time you knew the truth. The truth about what happened to me when I ran away."

"And before you were found by Princess Twilight and became her student, right?" Firelight asked.

Starlight nodded. "I still don't like talking about it, because I know I did a lot of terrible things in that time. But you have a right to know, because I think it explains a lot about me," Sighing and taking a deep breath she confessed. "I... started my own village devoted to a world without cutie marks. It was basically a cult. I imposed my will on the villagers, making them think cutie marks were evil even though I didn't give mine up myself. And such was how I met Princess Twilight. She and her friends came to my village, or rather a table map led them. It didn't take long for them to expose me."

"Is that all, sweetie? Sounds like a childish idea taken a little too far," Firelight commented. "I always found it odd you were so against cutie marks even after you got yours. I tried to get you into kite flying and that seemed to help a little. Apparently I needed to do more to keep you from running away."

Starlight shook her head. "You didn't know what I was going through, I internalized it all. And my story doesn't end there, much as I wish it did. I ran away again and swore revenge. And by revenge I mean I actually tried to go back time and rewrite history so Twilight and her friends would never get their cutie marks. Except I got roped into fixing what I broke, and then the princess offered me compassion and forgiveness in the face of my error. Yet even after that I made mistakes. Then there was the whole changeling invasion and my graduation."

"Ah, so that's why you never thought to write to me." Firelight realized.

"I thought about it... briefly," Starlight confessed. "After my graduation, when I wondered where I was going to go and what I was going to do. I thought of you, how you'd long for the chance to see your little filly all grown up. I cried myself to sleep that night, because I couldn't bring myself to do it. Even after all I'd been through, I still didn't have the courage to face my own father. If you hadn't shown up at the castle, I probably would've still kept avoiding you."

"Well at least you don't have to do so anymore," Firelight spoke after a moment of silence. "It was very brave of you to come forward and admit to all of that."

"You don't hate me for what I've done?" Starlight asked. "You don't think I'm some kind of monster?"

Firelight firmly shook his head. "Perish the thought, honey bun. A father's love for his child is unconditional, almost nothing can break it," Then he somberly added. "I know I probably haven't shown it in the best way since bringing you here. I guess I was just so eager to see my little filly again, I ignored the fact that you weren't that little filly anymore. You've grown up and become a splendid young mare. I dare say you're almost too good for your old stallion."

But Starlight turned around and embraced her father in a hug! "Dad, don't say such things like that! You're my dad, you could never be too good or too bad for me. Even if you can make that love hard sometimes, I would never want to not associate myself with you," By now the tears were freely streaming down her face. "I promise, from now on I'll visit more often! There's so much I'm sure you've longed to tell me, so much you'd love for me to see."

"Well you know, honey bun, I'm not just your dad. I'm also your friend. And if I promise to treat you less like a filly and more like a friend, do you promise that you'll keep in touch while you're managing your adult responsibilities?" Firelight asked in a hopeful tone of voice.

"Of course, Dad!" Starlight nodded. "Thanks for being so understanding! To think I ever got mad about the fact that you weren't around all the time."

Firelight smiled. "It wasn't easy to be away from you all the time. But seeing your smiling face when I came home made it all worth while."


The weekend flew by in a flash for both Starlight and Sunburst. Sooner than either of them would've liked the weekend came to a close and they had to leave Sire's Hollow.

Firelight and Stellar Flare stood on the platform of the train station, waving until the train carrying their children was out of sight.

Meanwhile, inside the train car, Sunburst and Starlight exchanged all their news. "That was quite a weekend, wasn't it?" Sunburst commented to Starlight. "I guess we both learned that it's important to stay in touch with our families, even if they may drive us crazy sometimes."

"And that family can be like friends, a source of support for you when you need it most," Starlight added. "If only I'd thought to come back to my dad sooner. Maybe I wouldn't have turned out so horribly and all those terrible things I did could've been avoided."

Sunburst stroked his goatee with a hoof. "Maybe, but we both know it's pointless to speculate on the 'What might have been'. Time travel is forbidden for a very good reason, after all."

"Right," Starlight said with a blush, remembering her own experience. And then she coughed into a hoof and changed the subject. "By the way, Sunburst. It seemed like you were having some problems with your mother."

Sunburst sighed. "I'm really sorry you had to see that. Like I said, you're not the only one whose parent has been driving them crazy."

"Can't be any worse than what my dad was doing. He actually gave me my old blanket and offered me milk and cookies," Starlight admitted with a laugh. "Meanwhile, your mom was just trying to get you a job here in Sire's Hollow."

"That was part of it," Sunburst admitted. "It's actually a pretty long story."

Starlight simply scooted closer. "Well, it's a long train ride back to Ponyville so I'm all ears."

The once proud magic student quickly glanced all around the train car to make sure he and his friend were alone. When he was certain that he was he cleared his throat. "Well, if you really want to know I suppose I'll tell you. It all started after we went our separate ways for the first time this weekend."