• ...
9
 273
 1,111

Wave 5: The Last Stand

No sooner had the clock struck 07:00 then the enemy launched another wave into the fray. The foe closed upon the few remaining survivors with incredible ferocity and smashed once more through the boundary walls that had been hastily reassembled with the hope of holding the enemy back. That hope rapidly diminished given how quickly the foe broke through and swarmed into the compound. The broken, charred ruins of Sweet Apple Acres, once such a place of happiness, family, and friendship, was almost totally gone, a few charred barns and broken buildings to denote where a farm had once been.

"OPEN FIRE!" Swift Order bellowed, and those few, those poor, broken few, retaliated. They had little left to loose, except, perhaps, their lives, and as a result they fought harder than a thousand men could ever have fought a foe so numerous and violent. Shotgun shells and bullets roared out in the night as the survivors fired off what rounds they had remaining into the advancing hoard, killing a few and partially stemming their numbers, but it was of little effect. There were just too many of them to be properly slowed down, and they poured onwards into the night like creatures possesed. The Candymare marched at the head, intent on claiming her prize.

And then the foe were upon them in the rought and tumble, brutal swirl of melee. The mortars fired off their last shots and tried to support as they could, but with the foe so close to their compatriots, it was almost impossible to aim and hit without hitting the enemy and their allies at the same time. Switching to rifles, they tried to support as best they could, but aiming was equally hard in the mass of bodies.

And they soon got hit by enemy fire, knocked down and incapacitated by the firepower of the foe. Sweetie Belle and Rumble fell during that last fight, fighting as they did until the end with fire in their hearts and power in their limbs. But fall they did. Soon, it was so bad that there were only three of them left in any combat worthy state; Swift Order, Apple Bloom, and Sergeant Jones. The foe closed in for the kill as they fired off their last rounds, and then Swift Order drew his combat knife and charged into battle, swinging and stabbing and hacking his way through the foe.

Until the Candymare got him. She grabbed him with one of her tentacle like limbs and held him aloft, as the other two survivors were dragged into the centre of the farmyard. "We have won, pathetic humans," she said. "This land forever belongs to me, and the human race has known its final day. You shall fall like wheat, and your bodies shall be processed for the war effort to fuel our warriors."

Swift Order coughed, and laughed in her face. "Oh, really?" he asked, looking behind him as the sun rose. "Joke's on you. The cavalry's arrived."

And just then, his radio lit up with comms traffic.


"Commissioner Swift Order, do you read, over?" asked General Grogar from the cupola of his Abrams tank. "We're here. The cavalry's arrived." Seconds later, he pointed ahead into the town. "Attack!"

The tanks began to rumble forward, machine guns blazing and cannons firing as shells and bullets swept the enemy aside. The foe, totally unprepared for this unexpected attack from the rear of their lines, fell like dominoes as fire tore through them. Shells toppled buildings which fell upon the enemy, crushing quite a few of them under masonry, concrete, and metal and ensuring they moved no more. It took them a few minutes of fierce fighting, but the endurance of the tanks made the engagement laughably one sided, and before long the town was cleared with the foe cleaned out and the causalties for the US Army nonexistant.

"Colonel Sombra, how is it on your end?" Grogar radioed his fellow officer in the Marines.

"You wouldn't believe the number of enemy's there are out here!" Sombra replied over the radio. "They're packed in so densely that my men aren't even needing to aim! We're going through them like a knife through butter!"


Several AH-1 Cobra gunships flew over the battlefield, unloading rockets into the Candymare's army, which began to break and fall apart under the sustained fire. Explosion after explosion blew the foe into tiny pieces, and machine gun fire picked off whatever remained of the foe.

With the attack run completed, several UH-60 Black Hawks touched down and unloaded Marines directly into the heart of the fight. They marched forward and opened fire, clearing those foes still in the compound. Those few who remained alive began to retreat- only to be fired upon by Grogar's tanks. They had caught them in a pincer, and were now squeezing them until the pips squeaked.

The Candymare looked about baffled. "What?" she asked. "How?"

Swift Order smiled as he was given the opening he needed. Adjusting his knife, he stabbed it straight into her, the blade cutting clean through her and out the other side. "Something you'd never understand. Teamwork, cameraderie, and friendship. These are forces no army or amount of force can overcome. You've failed, and the world will know of your failure." With an effort, he pulled the knife out, and the Candymare exploded into a mass of candy pieces and chunks of gore.

As the Marines and Army arrived in force to help the wounded free, Grogar walked over to Swift Order. "You put up one hell of a fight, Commisioner," he said. "I didn't think anybody could hold out that long against such overwhelming odds."'

"It hardly seems appropriate to celebrate," Swift Order replied. "We lost so many today, and this town is in ruins. It's gonna take a lot of rebuilding."

"That we have time for," Sombra added, walking over as his Cobra touched down on the compound ground. "But for now, let's be thankful that we are alive."

Author's Note:

The Candymare

Field commanders
Burning Embers
Varius
Blaze Strike

Enemy troops
Taffies
Hundreds n' Thousands
Gobstoppers
Hundreds n' Thousands
Marshmallows
Caramel