• ...
9
 273
 1,100

Wave 1: Testing the Water

As Swift Order and his men looked out into the distance, he could see a massive cloud of dust heading their way as the enemy approached. Leading the enemy forward were a trio of what he thought had once been humans. But humans they were no more. One of them appeared to have tentacles coming from where his mouth and teeth had once been, and his hands were gnarled and grey, the skin seemingly sloughing off of them like a courpse would be. The officer next to him had an equally mucky appearence, being surrounded by a strange green gas. The third was seemingly made entirely of metal, his fist covered in strange mechanisms and all of those mechanisms were coloured in green and other lurid colours.

The enemy troops were even stranger. They had a mixture of humanoid and alien shapes, but all of them seemed to be made of sweets or even candy. There was no skin to be seen on them at all, and a few of them seemed to distort in shape from just being looked at.

A few still looked to be made of rock. "Sir?" asked one of the Sergeants. "What the hell are these things?"

"Hell if I know, Merrick," Swift Order replied. "But they are an enemy, like any other. I recommend the use of excessive force against them."

The officer with the tentacles raised his hand. "Attack," he gurgled. And with his motion, all hell broke loose. The enemy officers pulled back, and the other creatures surged forward. They raced forward, their voices letting forth horrific screams well into the night, and as the sun was setting, it created a horrific scene.

Just then, one of their number at the front fell. Smoke came off the sniper rifle used by Rainbow Dash. "Gotcha!" she yelled. "I'll be damned if any of them get in."

As if to answer, the first of the Heavy Machine Gun teams suddenly opened up, bullets thundering out of the windows of the barn and raking the enemy front lines with bullets.

The first of the enemy closed on them. They looked like the type of sweets you suck on to break down, and now it became clear why they were standing out front. The bullets simply bounced off of them as they closed at terrifying speeds on the defending lines.

"Switch to grenades!" bellowed one of the sergeants up front. "Caine, get a grenade out there!"

"Roger that, sir!" the private replied, priming a grenade and then throwing it. It landed in the midst of those things and exploded, the shrapnel flying into their casings and blowing them to pieces. The rubble began to land all around the defenders, and they saw it was made of... candy. Very hard candy.

"Bring down mortar shells!" Swift Order called, as he continued to coordinate the defence with precision and professionalism. "Griffin, rounds on coordinates two, alpha, zulu, niner, how copy, over?"

"Rounds on coordinates two, alpha, zulu, niner, solid copy. Firing!"

Behind them, the first of the mortar crews got to work, as a thumping sound denoted that a mortar shell had left the tube and it arced through the air down towards the enemy. It hit the ground and exploded, blowing more of the enemy to pieces as they tried to cover the ground toward the Police and the defenders in the farmhouse.

Suddenly, the field changed completely. The enemy suddenly started firing projectiles, which soared through the air and started to hit the defenders. The police were in cover, and wearing armour, so were for the most part OK, apart from one or two who got taken out of action. They were dragged to safety by their comrades to prevent any further injury.

Some others were not so lucky. A blood curdling scream could be heard coming from one of the upper windows of the farmhouse, and Rainbow Dash toppled from the top window and fell to the ground, her body riddled with these strange projectiles. Seconds later, Pinkie Pie joined her, as explosives suddenly were fired at the structure to try and clear it, bodies being blown out of it at horrifying speed and landing on the floor.

Swift Order clicked what was going on. "They're intentionally targeting the civilians!" he shouted. "Strykers, take the heat off!"

"Yes sir, engaging." Both of the Strykers immediately opened fire, the roof mounted machine gun raking the enemy lines with fire. The combined fire, followed by another barrage of mortars, saw the foe decimated with bullet holes and shrapnel, armour demolished and flesh torn by the explosions. Yes, these things had flesh, which was at the same time fascinating, as it indicated they were living creatures, but was also horrifying, as it meant you began to ask questions about what these things were.

After a few more seconds of fighting, including some of the enemy briefly breaching the line only to be pushed back, the battle was over. The enemy suddenly began to pull back, undamaged units simply abandoning their dead and wounded as they vanished back into the dustcloud.

With the battle seemingly over, the troops began to reassemble their defences and try to rebuild. Weapons were reloaded as medics moved in to try and treat the wounded.

"How many did we lose?" asked Swift Order, in a state of surprise at the fact the enemy had seemingly given up so easily.

"Three from the frontlines are KIA," replied the medic. "We got two who are wounded, I'm afraid, and need medical attention. They're in no fit state to fight. It's worse with the civilians, I'm afraid. Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie are dead, and Diamond Tiara is severely injured. The others are still able to fight, but that attack has cost us a little."

"I don't think that was meant to break us," Swift Order replied. "They were testing the water, and they will be back, I'm sure of it. Treat the wounded, and get them back into the fight. We need to hold off another wave at least."

Author's Note:

Enemy command:
Jackpot (1)
Blaze Strike (2)
Iron Fist (4)

Opposing forces:
Taffies
Taffies
Caramel
Gobstoppers
Rocky Road
Gobstoppers

KIA
Sergeant Harris
Private Jacobson
Private Owen
Rainbow Dash
Pinkie Pie

Wounded
Private Hook
Corporal Davis
Diamond Tiara