• Published 28th Oct 2018
  • 939 Views, 222 Comments

Lost Muse - David Silver



She's a dark blue pegasus with a penchant for editing. He's a green unicorn that loves the arts. Together they... get torn apart. She has important family business to see to in Canterlot, and he's not invited. Their lives continue apart, until...

  • ...
10
 222
 939

PreviousChapters Next
34 - The Zenith

Color smiled with satisfaction, of a sort. It wasn't perfect. It never would be. He couldn't make a perfect picture, at least one that would satisfy himself. He felt as if he had hit the right point where any further pushing would only degrade the piece. He sat back, nodding at the picture.

There was Succinct Word, her arms crossed and a little smile on her face. She was looking towards the viewer as if judging them. Just below her arms was the top of a pony's head peeking over her table. In his mind, it was a little Libelous, but it was just indistinct enough for people to decide for themselves who it was Succinct was keeping close.

In front of her was a little plate of treats and a small cup of tea, little aromatic wafts of steam rising. It gave the impression of a serious mare, but the presence of the sweet things and the small pony softened it. She was not a graven guardian, scowling. She was carefully welcoming the viewer to approach her.

One had just better have a good reason for doing so. That judgment did not promise easy mercy for those who trifled with her.

He smiled gently. "I think I have it..."

"It's lovely."

He perked an ear. "Yeah." Wait, that was a female voice, and it was not Libelous'. He turned rapidly to see Princess Celestia standing there, her guards just behind her. He did what any right thinking stallion would do in the situation, he squeaked in surprise.

Celestia approached the painting. "You've evolved since the first of yours I had seen, but I can see I've found the proper source."

"Ah, uh, yeah..." He felt naked. He was naked. He made it a point to get dressed nicely when he went outside, but just dabbing art on the canvas? What was the point of dressing in something that could get all marked up by the paint... "A... honor to meet you." Libelous' advice echoed in his mind. Celestia liked being handled like a peer. "I saw where my piece was, in your spring room. It looks great there."

Celestia's gentle smile seemed to deepen. "It was the best place I could think to place it. I'm flattered to think its creator agrees with my thoughts." She gestured at the painting. "Is that Succinct? She looks... younger. I remember when she was that young."

He took a little breath. He was speaking to Celestia, the undying princess. She'd seen everyone she ever cared to see at whatever age struck her fancy. It was no surprise that she knew a younger Succinct. "Did you talk to her?"

"Yes." Celestia sat down next to him. "I had read her book and wished to speak with her about it. There were some societal concerns she had brought up that I wanted further clarity on."

He hadn't read all the books she had sent. Had she written a fiery condemnation of society at the time? Just imagining her being a little firebrand was stretching his mind. "Did she give it?"

"She gave me quite a piece of her mind." Celestia laughed gently, a hoof covering her mouth. "You wouldn't have known I was a princess with how she went off on me. My guards were beside themselves, but I bade them to let her speak as she pleased."

Color's ears rolled back, imagining someone shouting at Celestia... how could anyone?! "Did she calm down?"

"In time, she did. That was when we began to speak. That was a productive afternoon." She inclined her head towards the portrait. "I see you are still making lovely art."

"Yes, thank you." He dipped his head a little. "Do you... draw?"

"I'm afraid not." She smiled a little. "I can make ornamental pancakes, but that hardly feels the same. Would it be too much trouble to inquire into the creation of a new work?"

"What... did you have in mind?" Was he being commissioned directly by Celestia?! Destiny itself has come to him and delivered victory! "I thought the one I did of you captured... how I saw it."

"And I love it." She nodded just a little. "I don't require another of myself." She turned to the two guards that had stood silently. "Head outside and send in Grey."

"Ma'am," they echoed one another, saluting and marching outside.

"Grey Beard is a loyal guard, he's served me for so many years... I fear his time may soon run out, and he refuses to retire... I will... likely see him on his final day, just as he would want it... I will bear that, but... I would like him captured before that." She quieted as a new guard strode in, trying to march formally despite aches that clearly bothered the elderly pony. "Grey, excellent. Can you do it?"

Color felt tears sting at his eyes even as he blinked them away quickly. He couldn't decide who he was saddest for. The guard, close to his end, Celestia, willing to see him off, or just the whole thing... "I... would be honored. Grey, Sir, do you have family?"

"Oh, yes, Sir." Grey gave a sharp nod. "I raised a son properly, and he went and made a family of his own. I don't see them as often as I'd like, but being surrounded by the foals is a treat. Three of them, if I recall properly. They are darlings... One of them is married... may have a foal come to think... I really need to find out."

Celestia raised a brow at him. "You know you had but to ask and I would have sent you home to see them, Grey."

"Without a moment of hesitation," he agreed with a little smile. "It's alright. I'll wait for them in the next life. For now, I want to be at your side, Ma'am. Your warmth soothes my aching bones, and knowing I help protect it makes me happy."

Color wanted to make a pathetic noise, but that wouldn't have helped much. Instead he slowly nodded, resisting his baser instincts. "Alright. I think... I can work with that. We do need to speak of prices."

"Of course." Celestia waved that away. "I'll have a financer come by to discuss those things. Please, start as quickly as you can."

Price was not a concern for the princess. That was... hardly surprising, even if he felt like he was shocked and numb. "Of course. Sir, could I get you to stand just like that for a little while?" His horn glowed as he grabbed out his drawing pad and pencils, starting to quickly get a sketch of the pony to work from. "What would you say the favorite part of your job is?"

"Now that's a challenging question..." He tapped a hoof lightly on the ground with a musing expression. "A few things. I like being part of something. Seeing my brothers beside me, always brings a smile. Knowing other ponies feel safer with us around... We march like this for them, and her, of course. They love us, and we love them. We keep Equestria safe, Sir. Have you ever served?"

"Afraid I have not." Color could only imagine trying the military life ending poorly. He stuck out his tongue a little as he sketched furiously. "What would you say was the most exciting time you ever had as a guard?"

"There was the time the hippogriffs came to visit. Queen Novo was looking splendid, as she does. Someone in the crowd threw some flowers at her and she misunderstood the gesture, thinking she was being attacked. It took several of us guards to calm her and get the parade moving. That was a tense moment."

Celestia laughed gently. "I remember that. Poor Novo... She really thought she was being attacked. You should have seen her face when we told her what was going on. She tried to play the whole thing off as a joke."

He nodded towards Celestia, then look at Color. "Did you want me to do something with him, Your Highness?"

"Oh, no. You've already done more than enough. Go outside with the others."

"Should I send them back in?"

"That will not be required." She half-nodded. "I feel I am safe with him. Do you not agree?"

Grey looked Color over intently as the artist smiled awkwardly. "I think you'll be fine, Your Highness, but give the slightest noise and we'll come running."

He took his leave and Celestia looked towards Color. "Now, ignore what images are in your mind. I want a piece that captures him as he was, at his peak, not now... so close to the end. That is what I wish to remember, and what I believe he would rather my thoughts of him dwell on." With a glowing horn, several pictures appeared, floating in the air.

"Cameras are marvelous inventions... But they lack the ability to... emote." She gently floated one towards him. "Take them, use them as inspiration. Capture as best you can this brave and loyal soldier that gave me his best years, and kept giving right until the end. The least I can do is remember."

He saw what should not be. Celestia... could she? Had she? He thought he had seen the slightest bit of moisture in the eyes of the perfect princess. Celestia was entrusting him with something so very precious... Sacred... He took the pictures in his own magic. "All other projects will be put to the side. Celestia, I promise... I will put everything into this."


Outside, a very irate Libelous scowled at the three guards blockading her gate. One of them was much older than the other two, but all three were stopping her progress. "That is my house you're stopping me from getting to."

"Sorry, Ma'am." The guard on the left shook his head. "None are permitted to enter at this time."

Grey saluted, hoof across his chest. "She should be done shortly, but it is not our job to guess these things. Please have patience."

"Who?!" Libel scowled at the three of them. "Who is in my house that I can't go into my own house!"

The last guard smiled thinly. "The only mare who we have sworn to protect above all other concerns."

Libelous staggered back a step. "Are you... implying the princess is here?"

"We can neither confirm nor deny that assertion," reported the first, nodding softly. "You will be compensated for lost time, Miss Word."

"I should hope I get that at the very least." She huffed, but eyed her house curiously. Why in Equestria would Celestia come to her house... and not see her!? There weren't a lot of other reasons for a princess, of all ponies, to come visiting, though it was beyond her what her editing powers could do to help the princess.

"Don't... tell me." She hopped in place. "Is she talking to Color Splash?!"

Grey set a hoof on her shoulder gently. "She should be doon soon. Please be patient, Ma'am."

"Who's talking?" Day sat up from some tall grass he had vanished into. "Oh hey, guards. What's up?"

They collectively squeaked. The third rushed past the gate and got Day up to his hooves. "You have to wait outside, Sir." Before Day even really knew what was going on, he was set just beside Libelous. "She should be done soon, Sir."

Libelous had to laugh. "Welcome to the 'kicked out of our house by a princess' club. It's a very exclusive organization."

"Woah. I've never had such an honor." He smiled a bit goofily. "Are you the president?"

"You can call me the chairmare." She set a hoof at her chest. "First order of business; I nominate we go get dinner instead of standing here waiting for things to happen."

"Seconded." He raised a hoof into the air.

"Motion carried." She turned away from her barred house. "Thus concludes the first meeting. Very productive. We have to do this more often."

Author's Note:

Libelous is booted out of her house while Color gets a heartfelt request. What will come of this?

PreviousChapters Next