• Published 28th Oct 2018
  • 930 Views, 222 Comments

Lost Muse - David Silver



She's a dark blue pegasus with a penchant for editing. He's a green unicorn that loves the arts. Together they... get torn apart. She has important family business to see to in Canterlot, and he's not invited. Their lives continue apart, until...

  • ...
10
 222
 930

PreviousChapters Next
58 - Verdict

"I never knew," mused the mare as she read the papers floating in her magic. "I always kinda assumed diapers were for old ponies and deviants, uh... no offense intended."

The stallion seated beside her, sheets held in his own magic, nodded in agreement. "One in five? I would never have even guessed so many ponies have... issues."

The third, also a mare, was just quietly red.

Libel perked an ear towards her. "Miss? Everything alright?"

"You knew, didn't you?" she whispered softly.

"Knew w... oh! Oh! Oh no!" She hopped to her hooves. "Please, I... As I already wrote, I am one too."

The ashamed mare slowly stood up, shaking a little. "Every time I walk into a store to get... protection, I have to make up an excuse, so they don't stare at me..."

Libel felt her heart breaking. She had felt that pain. "And they stare anyway... No matter what you say, they wonder, and they judge. They stare and judge."

The mare flopped to her belly. "I almost wish they'd just say something... The silence is the worst... Um... thank you... I would never be brave enough to put my name on this book, but thank you." She glanced away and back. "Please don't credit me."

The other two ponies lowered their ears, looking sympathetic, but removed. It was not their pain to share.

"Thank you, all three of you." Libel looked towards the silent Bottom. "Bottom will ask more specific questions for feedback purposes. Let's make this book better."

"In the second chapter..."


"You did not bring your amusing friend along?" Luna's eyes were on the wrapped object, her attention clearly focused. "He did entertain us."

Color laughed a little forcedly. "I'll bring him by next time, promise." If there was a next time, he'd be happy. "For today, it's just me, you, and this painting."

"Yes, reveal it to us." She clopped a shoed hoof on the floor. "The suspense is too great. We would know what you have created for us." She extended a wing. "I will not be the only witness of this event."

Her door opened behind Color, permitting two night guards to enter at a steady walk, in no great hurry it seemed. "Come, join me," bid Luna. "See what this artisan has made to reflect me."

"Princess Luna deserves some art," noted one, sitting down ahead and to the left of Luna. "She has worked hard and should be remembered well."

The other took up position ahead and to the right of her. "You have worked for her sister. I hope you put in as much effort, if not double, for Luna. She is wholly worthy of it."

Color smiled, sweat building with nervousness. "O-Of course! She is the kind ruler of dreams and the night. I wanted to capture her perfectly, as a guardian against the unknown, and may never know. She is the stalwart bulwark against that unseen but certainly felt menace." He turned to his painting, magic taking hold of a corner. "I present, Guardian of Space."

He drew the cloth covering free, revealing the painting to the three pairs of eyes peering over his shoulder.

The room was quiet.

They were all staring, and he didn't even dare turn to see what their expressions were like. He could only swallow nervously.

A clad hoof came down in a step. "We... see..." It was Luna. "Hmm... Yes... hmm..."

"That is your favorite armor," noted one of the guards. "I like the reflection of light off of it, very detailed."

The other guard joined, "The moon, look at it."

Luna raised a brow. "What am I looking for?" At this point, Color had dared to turn to them.

The guard pointed. "He thought to not paint the side we could normally see."

Luna's face erupted into a smile. "So he did! A lovely touch." She brought her forehooves together in a single loud metal clop. "It makes me wonder what this simulacrum of me is facing. She looks quite determined."

"It stands no chance of getting around her. Equestria is safe," assured one guard with a firm nod.

"And they may never know it," sighed the second. "Their loss. At least we are aware of your sacrifices, Our Princess." Both bowed their heads with shared admiration for the night princess.

Luna blushed faintly, looking pleased to be receiving the warm praise. "We do as we must. Color Splash, you have pleased us. We rate this painting nine out of ten."

Color blinked at that. He wasn't usually given a numerical score when he sold or turned in a painting. "What... kept it from a ten?"

Luna inclined her head towards one of the guards, who answered without hesitation, "It is not perfect, but what could be, with such a subject?"

The other guard simply nodded in agreement.

Nine out of ten with a 'nothing's perfect?' Color quickly decided that was... pretty good. "I look forward to seeing where you place it then." He rose to his hooves. "If you want another, you know how to reach me."

"We do." Luna leaned forward. "But we would rather not. There are too many steps between our desires and the painting that results. Tell us, painter, what would it take to have you join the employ of the castle?"

Color's ears danced softly. "That... would... be an honor, but, uh... How many other painters are employed in the castle?"

"None," flatly responded Luna. "Mine sister insists she freshly hire each artist. It is tiresome and cumbersome. Fortunately, I can hire you and be done with it."

Dare he dream?! Wait... "If I were to agree, what would I get, and what would you want in return?"

"You'd be able to serve under the Princess Luna," barked one of the guards.

"An honor," agreed the other.

Color shook his head. "I'm sure it would be... But I need to know." A thought came to him, "for the sake of my partner, Libelous Word." It was so much easier to defer in someone else's name. "She's in an intensive project and I need to be there for her."

"We would leave matters of compensation to ponies who make it their job to manage such things." She rolled a hoof. "Then it would be your task to draw as any saw fit, with mine desires coming first."

Color began to see how that could go... poorly. He would be a paid slave, working on thing after thing for Luna to sate her ego and pamper her pride. Sure, she deserved some love, but did he want his entire life becoming fixated on it? "I will... consider, but I am an artist, and prefer to go as my muse demands." He was never much of a believer in the muse as a construct, but as excuses went, it was fantastic.

"We only ask that you consider." Luna dipped her head, glowing horn picking up the painting. "Now where to place this..."

She wandered off, the two guards left behind. One of them stood up. "You would be a fool to let this opportunity pass. You would be the only artist with such a claim, and to serve directly under Princess Luna! It makes me jealous."

"I am content guarding her, but he speaks truth. Consider, then agree. She is a wonderful employer, and you will be known through the land as the artist of Princess Luna. The prestige would be beyond measurement." The other guard rose as well, moving to walk past Color towards his post. "Besides, that would show her."

"Her?" He started to leave with them. "Her who?"

"Princess Celestia. She thinks an artist shouldn't be employed full time. You would prove that a false statement." The guard nodded softly. "We look forward to your agreement."

He wasn't at all sure he would do that, but... "I'll think about it. Have a good day, both of you." He fled home, project complete.


Bottom sank to her haunches, raised her forehooves, and began typing diligently.

"Here's what you asked for," noted Day, setting a piece of paper beside her.

"Mmm? Thanks." She didnt remember asking him for anything. She reached with her magic for the paper, bringing it up to her eyes.

"Would you prefer Day Line or Bottom Dreamer?" was written on it, and she blinked, her typing slowing as she tried to parse it.

"What...?"

"Will you marry me?" He drew out a felt box and gently opened it, balancing it on a hoof. Inside was a glittering horn ring that shone in the light.

She gasped loudly, shoving the typewriter away. The paper fell from her grip to flop to the table where it had been. "You... At least you didn't do that... somewhere public. I swear..."

"Is that a yes?"

Her magic reached for the ring, gently plucking it free of its case. "You will forgive my ignorance, but what do earth ponies wear? I imagine a horn ring would not do... and I will not be the only one wearing one."

He smiled, a deep one full of happiness. "We can go shopping, together."

"We'll do a lot of things together, but there's something only you can do."

"What's that?" He sat up at attention, looking attentive.

She floated the ring towards him. "Only you can put this on for the first time. It's tradition."

He reached forward with his mouth and grabbed the ring in his teeth. He stood up tall as she bowed her head. In the end, it was as if he was kissing her horn rather deeply, the pointed thing right in his mouth as he got the ring down as far as it needed to be. He ended with an actual kiss of the magic organ as he drew back. "It isn't even half as pretty as the mare that wears it, but it'll do."

She floated over a mirror to see it on her own head. "You got it wet," she laughed softly. "The risks and troubles of an earth pony for a su... oh... you aren't that anymore. We're betrothed."

"Level up." He pumped a hoof with a goofy smile. "What awesome new powers do I get?"

"Hmm, well, you could move to my place instead of here." She rose to her hooves, some of her attention drifting to the ring on her horn. "I really thought we'd be second..."

"Second?" Day blinked softly at that. "You're first in my book."

"Corny." She kissed his cheek. "I thought Libel would tie the knot around Color long before we got there... We were taking it easy."

"Yeah... but we like it. I like you. You like me. We're cool around each other... even in the morning."

"Even in the morning," she laughed. "A fine time when relationships are put through the real test... but if that's all you need, why didn't you marry Color already?"

"Nah." He lifted an ear. "He's a bro, but I want a... I want you." He leaned in to return the smooch gently. "I want a wife."

"I can't argue that..." Considering Libel had tried to make a friend into a marital partner and she had declined. "Just so we're clear, I'm not one of 'those' wives. I expect you to still want to hang out with your 'bros', even if at least one of them is also female. Speaking of that, you need to introduce me. I want to meet this spy with the crossed eyes. Now there's a book Libel should write, if she decides to try fiction again."

"I'd read it." Day nodded with soft agreement. "Huh... I thought being engaged would feel... different?"

"Nah." She kissed his forehead. "We're still the same two ponies, and that's good. Let's stay two lovely ponies forever, alright?"

"Deal." He put an arm around her, drawing her close, hoof pressing against her side. "I'm gonna ask Princess Celestia if we can be married in the castle gardens. That place is... perfect."

Author's Note:

Congratulations!

Color dodges a bullet? Maybe? Would you accept?

PreviousChapters Next