• Published 28th Oct 2018
  • 939 Views, 222 Comments

Lost Muse - David Silver



She's a dark blue pegasus with a penchant for editing. He's a green unicorn that loves the arts. Together they... get torn apart. She has important family business to see to in Canterlot, and he's not invited. Their lives continue apart, until...

  • ...
10
 222
 939

PreviousChapters Next
32 - Court Is In Session

Bottom Line stepped from hoof to hoof, glancing aside at her date, Day. "Are you sure they'll like me?"

"Don't be nervous, that's not you." He leaned over and nuzzled her cheek. "Besides, they'll go--"

"Day!" The door swung open suddenly, revealing a smiling unicorn mare. "Oh, and who's this?" She stepped out, her features rounded mildly and a happy smile on her face. "You found a mare that can put up with you? You come in here and be treated like the princess you are!" She waved inside.

Bottom blinked, confusion growing on her face. "Hello... I'm Bottom Line, and you are?"

She hiked a brow.

Day nodded at the strange mare. "Bottom, this is my mom."

"You can call me Sunny, or just mom, that works too. Now get in here." She threw an arm around Bottom, gently forcing her into the house. "We have so much to talk about! Bump! Bump we have guests!"

"Day ain't a guest," came a more relaxed male voice. An earth pony was sprawled over the couch in the living room, showing where Day had gotten the technique down. "Oh." He sat up slowly, eyes on Bottom. "But she is. Hello." He raised a hoof in a mild wave before it fell back to the couch. "Name's Log. Bump Log."

"I took his name, so I'm Sunny Log. I liked the sound of that, a nice little log in the forest, sun shining brightly on it." She sighed as she began cantering towards the kitchen. "Dinner's almost ready, so you two lovebirds just settle down and let me treat you right."

Bottom found herself seated between the two stallions on the couch. The house was not large. It was small and... cozy.

Bottom glanced between the two stallions. They were both earth ponies. They both barely sat up. It did not require much effort on her part to see the two as being of the same blood. She glanced aside at Day. He seemed wiser than his father. The older stallion seemed... lazy. That was, perhaps, unfair. She didn't know him yet.

She shook her head. That left Sunny Log. She was peppy, energetic, and a unicorn. She did not expect a unicorn to be involved other than herself. It was throwing her off balance.

She gasped suddenly as a thought struck her. Was she the pony that reminded him of his mom? Her cheeks tinted bright at the thought. They said many ponies were attracted to ponies that were similar to their parents. Day was nothing like either of her parents!

"Neither of them gave you any room?" Sunny had returned. With shooing motions, she got both of the stallions off the couch. "This spot is for visiting princesses only. That's you, dear."

"I'm not a princess, Ma'am." She dipped her head towards Sunny gently. "Just Bottom Line, or Bottom."

"Not a princess she says." Sunny rolled her eyes and gestured at the distant Canterlot. "You've come down from the lofty castle where all the rich people are and you have the nerve to tell me you aren't a princess. My eyes can see royalty when it comes cantering into my house." She suddenly kissed Bottom beside her horn. "Don't you worry. You're welcome here."

Bottom smiled nervously. "I feel welcomed. Hm, what's for dinner?"

"I'm glad you asked!" She threw up a hoof with a big grin. "Because it's ready and you're going to taste it and love it! And if you play your cards right, I'll share the recipe with you. It's a family secret."

Bump nudged against Day gently. "You found a pretty one. Is she nice too?"

"Very." Day nodded. "Smart and clever too. She's--"

"Don't pay attention to them." In the small house, everyone could hear Day and Bump talking. Sunny was distracting Bottom towards the dining room and its small table. "You sit at the end of the table. I have so many questions! Don't tell me what you do, tell me what you are."

Bottom took the seat offered to her just for magic to nudge her and the chair up against the table. "Well..." She could see Sunny's horn glowed for a moment, the source of the magic. "I like to think that I am an organizer. I like leading an organized life, and lending that to others."

"A little order can be helpful, dear." She nodded softly as she hurried off back into the kitchen. "If I didn't organize this place, it'd be a complete disaster, let me tell you. That isn't my calling though, no no, certainly not." She came back out with a glass platter floating over her head that she placed right in the center of the small table. "I prefer to cook. Cooking is love and life. It's how I show the world how happy I am."

Bottom inhaled softly, breathing in the spices of the meal and the cheesy undertones. "Smells great, Sunny."

"I'm glad somepony can say that without being prodded." She gave Bump a severe look.

Bump was immune to the insuations being leveled at him. He casually stepped up onto a chair and sat down.

Day settled in one of the two other seats remaining. "Thanks, Mom. It looks great."

"One out of two isn't so bad." Her magic reached to pet her son around the ears as she danced off to get a few other dishes that occupied basically every spot on the table that wasn't taken up by the plates arranged in front of ponies. "Now, enough talking, let's eat. When we're full and happy, we can go back to talking."

Bottom could think of worse in-laws somepony might end up with. She ate the home-prepared meal with soft murmurs of delight. Sunny was true to her word, and her food did show happiness.


"Did you hear?" Libelous smiled at her boss lightly. "I've found a suitor."

He arched a brow at Libel. "Have you now? How wonderful for you. Are they... already aware?"

Did everyone at the office know?! She colored even as she tried to ignore it. "Yes! Yes he does." She coughed into a hoof softly. "Not that that is anypony's business."

"Do I know them?"

She gestured towards the papers littering his desk. "You probably have something about him there. He's an up and coming artist that does fantastic portraits. I love them, and him."

He smiled a little at that. "That's good to hear, Libel. Sorry to break up your announcement, but how's the Pinkerson paper coming?"

"On schedule." Libel saluted sharply. "As if there was room for doubt."

"Of course not," he quietly agreed, an ear swinging to the side. "Artist, you said, hm... The paper you hunted? What was his name... Mister Splash?"

"That's the one." She grinned a little. "I hunted the paper and him, and I caught both."

"Quite a catch." He stroked his beard with a hoof lightly. "You must bring him about the office some time."

"As if I wouldn't." She hopped up to her hooves suddenly, going for the exit. "I'd best get back to work. Ta ta!"

It had been like that all week long. She was eager to scream it out to the world that she had found a suitor, a pony that wanted to be with her romantically and she was willing to return the sentiment at least conditionally.

It was perhaps petty, but she enjoyed informing those that had spurned her own advances.

"That's great news," had replied her tutored student. "And a stallion? I... thought you like mares, you know..."

"They both have their advantages." She had blushed at that. "Sorry for putting you in an awkward situation... We can continue the lessons."

"Gladly." She seemed relaxed, knowing that her tutor was not secretly hoping for romantic options.

When she broke the news to the customer service mare, she had burst into a huge smile. "Congratulations! Ohhhh, we have to have a party!" She had bounced right up out of her chair and hugged Libel tightly. "This is too great! Do I know them?"

A lot of the ponies she had talked to asked if they knew him, and most of them did not. That made it her job to fix that, introducing him indirectly with words and exaltations. Of course... "I need to bring him around..."

She grunted softly, but was smiling as she walked down the hallway. She felt like she owned the place again, and it was a liberating feeling. She was a taken mare, and it wasn't to a pony she was settling for! It wasn't to a pony who's biggest interest was collecting stamps. She shook her head a little. It wasn't to a stallion that would turn up his nose the moment... she wasn't perfect.


Color walked along with a suit that subtly complemented Libel's. Sassy Saddles had been quite happy to see them again and had not hesitated on taking up the order. Within the hour they had walked out with tastefully complementing, but not perfectly matching, suits to imply their courting status.

"When you decide that your love is true, you can just come right back here for the properly matching set." She nodded firmly and properly. "It will be a great pleasure to serve you again."

Showing off his status wasn't the primary reason he was walking along. He had a pony to see. He stopped in front of a narrow door. A sign hung above it: "Sharp Eye's Gallery". It wasn't the most prestigious gallery, but it was far from the least of them.

He reached with his magic, bidding it open and stepping inside like he belonged there; which he did.

Inside two ponies were already talking. One looked flustered, a stallion. The other, the mare, seemed calm. "Look, you can't do this!" The stallion stomped a hoof. "You promised me a spot!"

"Things change," calmly rebuked the mare. "You are Canterlot-raised, surely you know that. A new wind is blowing, and it's not carrying your name."

"That's a pretty way of telling me to go find a ditch!"

"See it as you will." She waved him away gently. "Business has arrived, and ours is complete."

With a strangled grunt, he turned away and stormed towards the door, bumping Color on the way with a parting growl of frustration.

Color advanced past him, nodding to the mare, but not addressing her.

She smiled a little. "A stallion that knows his place, refreshing." She turned to him and tapped the floor beside herself. "Come, stand closer. Color Splash, are you not? Punctual, I like that. Too many artists think they are gifts sent by destiny itself and the rest of the world should bow to their needs."

He approached at her bidding, dipping his head as he did so. "Your time is precious, Sharp Eye. I'm not here to waste it."

"Excellent to hear. I presume you brought it. Let's see it."

He drew out a painting and unfurled it without delay. He had read up on Sharp Eye. Patience was a thing she lacked. Trying to tease her would only backfire. "Canterlot at night."

Sharp rubbed her chin thoughtfully, considering it. "Mmm, yes... I've seen this before, with my own eyes. They whisper you're not from here, but you capture the night life so perfectly." She reached out her hooves, tracing shapes of things without actually touching the painting. "Delightful. I think I can find a home for this, yes. Set it over there." She pointed to a desk.

It was the final test. If he haggled or even brought up the price, it would be off. He had read long and hard. He gently set the painting right where she had pointed. "It's been a pleasure."

"Until next time." She smiled brightly. "Before you go..."

There wasn't supposed to be a before he went! "How can I help?"

"Were you instructed, by a mare perhaps? You have such good manners for a stallion."

He smiled a little at that. "One showed me the start of the path, but I'm walking it with my own hooves." He gestured vaguely off towards her offices. "I'm courting her now." It was only polite to bring that up. "Libelous Word."

Sharp gasped with amazement. "In relation to such a powerful mare, it is no wonder you have some etiquette in you. Have a wonderful day." And that was that, she went off to other business.

He walked out with a smile.

Author's Note:

Things are advancing. I ran forward with the time a little. I hope it feels natural. Do tell!

PreviousChapters Next