• Published 17th Oct 2018
  • 1,703 Views, 81 Comments

Sunset's Story - GeneralOs



Sunset, Princess Celestia's Faithful student, is sent on a mission to research another world and to discover the magic of friendship.

  • ...
4
 81
 1,703

Prologue

990 A.N.M
"Announcing Sir Shadow to the court" a guard proclaimed as he entered.

Celestia looked up at the blue unicorn stallion entering the court. "Hello Fore," she said, "What have you foreseen this time?".

"Princess" Shadow bowed as he came to a stop in front of her "I have foreseen highly sensitive bits of information that only you can be told. I request that the guards leave us alone for the time being and that we talk in private".

The sun Princess thought for a moment before ordering the guards to leave them. "Walk with me Fore. We shall head to the gardens".


The gardens were Sunset's favourite place to practice magic as no one saw when she failed a spell which allowed her to keep her reputation as the best young spellcaster in Canterlot. A rightly deserved reputation as not just anypony became the princess's student. Right now she was working on teleportation an assignment that Sunset wanted since before she broke into the dark magic section of the library to find out more about that mirror four years ago. She continued to think about the mirror when she saw Celestia enter the gardens with a stallion she had never seen before. She quickly forgot about the mirror as she snuck up on them.

"I have foreseen the release of Nightmare Moon from her imprisonment 1000 years after her defeat and that the stars will aid in her escape".

"This is most troubling Fore. Do you know if Luna will escape the nightmare's taint?"

"No I do not; however, I do know that an event will take place within the year that will decide the bearers of harmony to defeat her. They will earn their cutie marks that day."

"What event will take place?"

"I do not know other than it will be obvious when it happens." Fore took this moment to look around and spotted a red tail moving behind a bush. "It seems we have a spy listening on us. Come out Sunset this next conversation will involve you". Sunset revealed herself as there was no point staying hidden when ponies knew she was there. Celestia meanwhile was hiding her surprise that Fore wanted to speak to Sunset. "I would like to talk about the mirror and the hidden universe behind it". Celestia couldn't hide her surprise and confusion any longer and just had a confused look on her face causing Sunset to giggle which caused Celestia to glare at her. This led to Sunset quieting down quite quickly. Fore just had an amused look on his face but announced. "It is of my opinion that Sunset should study the universe beyond the mirror by living there for a couple of months. It would end her obsession with the mirror, and it would allow Celestia to find the Element of Magic".

Celestia thought for a moment before silently agreeing with Fore Shadow. Sunset was against the idea as she felt that they could use a skilled spellcaster against Nightmare Moon and who could be more proficient in magic than her? "How could anypony be more skilled than me and wield an Element that is my speciality, I am the best magic user for my age". Suddenly a loud explosion was heard, and a rainbow spread across the sky; a secondary explosion occurred where the entrance exams for Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns were taking place; a giant dragon appeared in the building.


Sunset and Celestia reacted immediately and teleported to the origin of the explosion. Sunset focused on taking down the dragon when she noticed that it was a baby that had a growth spell on it. While Sunset tried to dispel the spell, Celestia saw a student in the middle of a magic surge that was tearing her apart. She approached the filly, absorbing the magic and expelling it into the sun causing it to shine slightly brighter than usual. With her energy reserves spent the foal could no longer keep the surge going and saw the full majesty of Princess Celestia appear before her. Sunset realised that the filly had equivalent magical power to her and that it would only grow as she aged.

The filly looked terrified and trembled as she whispered: "I will accept all punishments for hurting you and the testers, Princess". It was then that Sunset realised that Celestia had burns and soot over her white fur.

Celestia responded with "I could never punish you for actions outside your control, let alone a magic surge of that power".

Sunset quickly interjected before Celestia could continue "I'm sure Celestia would make you her personal student once I leave on an assignment in a week". What Sunset said surprised Celestia at the display of understanding and the filly who started to bounce up and down in excitement.

Celestia continued her previous statement "Now that my student has agreed to the assignment I would be happy to have you as my personal student, but I feel we are getting ahead of ourselves. What is your name my little pony?"

The filly responded "Twilight Sparkle your majesty. Are you really going to make me your personal student?".

"Yes, Twilight if your parents agree and you might want to look at your cutie mark".

Twilight stopped bouncing to look at her new cutie mark a star surrounded with 5 smaller stars she then shouted "I GOT MY CUTIE MARK" and then shouted "YES YES YES YES YES YES" as she bounced around the room. Celestia and Sunset left Twilight to discuss what would happen to Sunset the following week.


Fore, Sunset and, Celestia entered the tearoom and sat down, Sunset ordered some coffee, Celestia ordered a black tea and, Fore ordered a herbal tea. Celestia spoke first "I'm surprised that you accepted Twilight as your replacement".

Sunset responded with "That filly is even more magically talented than me, anypony who can't see that is blind, I mean she hatched a dragon egg for Celestia's sake. I also can't stop thinking about the mirror at all, and I'm curious what's though it."

Fore interjected "All we know about the world on the other side of the mirror is that it's magicless and that going through the mirror will change your species to the only sentient one there. The mirror world also ages four times faster so one year there are four years here, and finally, the portal only opens once every four years here".

Celestia also said "Sunset to be blunt you are the perfect candidate for this as you don't have any friends or family here other than your younger brother Sunburst. I will make sure that he's cared for but, I would like you to learn about friendship in the other world."

Sunset frowned at the comment about her being an orphan and friendless due to her quest for power but agreed with Celestia that she needed some that wouldn't see her for the monster she was. "Finally you will need supplies since the last time I visited the other world was 900 years ago after Luna was banished, I needed someplace to vent my frustration at my failure. Anyway, The humans, as they call themselves, seem to value gold and jewels quite a lot so we will give you lots of that to buy a home and food".

1 week later Sunset was prepared to go through the mirror after she had said goodbye to her brother as she wouldn't be able to see him for a year in her case but 3 in his. She had a saddlebag full of gold and a book from Celestia that would allow her to send a report on friendship and the other world every fortnight. The portal would stay open for 3 days in both worlds as time travelled the same on both sides whenever the portal was open. She would have those 3 days of safety to return if something went wrong, after that she would be on her own. The portal opened "goodbye Celestia; I will send a report every fortnight". She entered the portal to begin her new life.

Author's Note:

Updates to the story may not be common but I will try for every fortnight. Comment Suggestions but the normal stories will generally follow MLP FIM but in the EQ universe Eg - gilda is a bully . I also need a better name for the story so comment if you have any ideas.