• Published 17th Oct 2018
  • 1,703 Views, 81 Comments

Sunset's Story - GeneralOs



Sunset, Princess Celestia's Faithful student, is sent on a mission to research another world and to discover the magic of friendship.

  • ...
4
 81
 1,703

Farm Stubborness

It was the end of the first term for the school; the school finished the unit tests. The 6 girls did well on the tests with Sunset gaining top marks in all her classes apart from history and computer science courses. They were currently planning when they would meet during the weeklong holiday from school at the Sugarcube Corner.

"Hey Applejack, could you help me set up my new storefront?"

"Of course Rarity, Why does it need to be changed?"

"So that it fits the current fashion, of course, a fresh store for a fresh season."

"Ah can help you on Tuesday after ah finish mah job at the farm."

"AJ, you said we'd compete in the video gaming tournament on Tuesday," Rainbow protested.

"So Ah did, make that Wednesday Rarity."

"All right, we're going to destroy the competition with Fluttershy cheering us on."

"My new store is going to be beautiful."

"Hey, Sunny, since the others are going to be doing stuff do you wanna come over to my place to bake on Tuesday and Wednesday?"

"Wednesday sounds good for me, but on Tuesday Celestia and Luna want me to do something. Before you ask, I don't know what they want."

"Guess I'll hang out with Rarity on Tuesday then."

"See you later," Sunset said as she left the Sugarcube Corner to go home.


Sunset got home to see Celestia with an orange teenager 3 years younger than her. Celestia turned to see Sunset and smiled at her. "This is Scootaloo, a distant relative to mine. I promised her mother that I would look after her while she is on an expedition."

"I don't see why I have to be here. All the other times I was left alone, and I was fine," Scootaloo objected while scowling at Sunset.

"First of all Scootaloo, those expeditions were shorter, and you had your father with you. This time both of your parents are going, and it's going to take a couple of months, if not a year."

"Fine, but why is she here?" asked Scootaloo while pointing at Sunset.

"She happens to be living with me, Scootaloo, you should be nicer to her," Celestia scolded her.

"Fine, I'm sorry, I'm just so annoyed that my parents went off again without telling me."

"It's fine, so how long are you staying with us?"

"I don't know, but it should be a couple of months," Scootaloo said as she left to grab a snack.

"That reminds me Sunset; we are moving into the new house on Tuesday. So you should start to pack up your things."

"Thank you for telling me, Celestia. We're moving into the large mansion next to the lake right?"

"Yes, that's the one. Scootaloo will also be attending Ponyville Elementary next to CHS for the foreseeable future, so please try to get along with her."

"I will try Celestia, but I make no promises."

"That's all I ask for; I haven't told Scootaloo where we're moving and, it would be a nice surprise for her."

"I can just imagine her face when she sees the mansion."


Applejack/Rainbow Dash/Fluttershy
Applejack woke up that morning stressed out. On Friday many of the farm's workers decided that they would take the next week off and notified her brother. Big Mac only told AJ this the previous day as he read the businesses email, this meant that Applejack had to harvest most of the apple orchard by herself as any temporary workers wouldn't be able to come in that quickly.

Applejack worked as hard as she could for the entire day and was soon exhausted when she heard an alarm on her phone go off. She looked at it through her blurry eyes and read the notification as something to do with Rainbow. She tried to remember what she was going to do with Rainbow and realised that she needed to get to Rainbow's house to start the tournament. 5 minutes later she was on her way to compete in the competition.

Half an hour later AJ arrived at Rainbows house to compete in the online tournament. Rainbow noticed how tired she looked and asked: "Are you okay Applejack?."

"Ah'm fine, just a bit tired from harvesting all mornin, let's just get started."

"Okay let's get started, did you bring your laptop?"

"No Ah forgot."

"That's fine, just use mine."

"What're we playin again? Is it Hooves of Iron 4 Equestria at War?"

"No, seriously, how did you forget? It's the new game called Trotnite; we were practising all last week."

"Right, sorry just a bit tired."

"I can see that anyway the tournament starts in half an hour, that should be enough time to get in a practice game."

They played for as long as they could before entering into the private lobby to start the tournament game. Fluttershy arrived during this time.

"AJ you need to step up your game, we can't keep doing as badly as we were in practice."

"Rainbow Dash," Fluttershy scolded "You should be nicer to our friends."

"Fine, I'm sorry Applejack, try to do better in the official game please."

"Ah'm sure the adrenaline will keep me focused," Applejack said confidently before muttering under her breath "Dang exhaustion."

AJ and Rainbow proceeded to come in the bottom 25% of teams because AJ didn't react fast enough when Rainbow was ambushed allowing their opponents to wipe them. Applejack returned to the farm after being berated by Rainbow for her failure and soon fell asleep.


Sunset

Sunset had all the stuff that Celestia and Luna had bought for her packed into suitcases ready to be moved into the new house. The house was 3 stories tall with a private pool and private access to the lakeside beach. It cost around 40 million dollars of Sunset's money but allowed her to get a private and, secret laboratory where she could test the laws of magic and physics to find any differences between the two worlds. Outfitting the laboratory with what she needed would cost another 10 million by her calculation meaning that the house would require a cool 50 million in total.

Scootaloo knew that they were moving house that day and so kept her stuff packed up from when she moved in with Celestia so she wouldn't have to repack for that day.

"Where are we going, auntie?"

"It's a surprise where we are going to live."

"Come on just tell me."

"Fine, we'll be living on Jezeragrad Street in the Lake City neighbourhood, but you have to wait five more minutes before you can see it."

Scootaloo's jaw dropped when she heard where they were living, as the Lake City neighbourhood was the most expensive in the city. This made her even more excited to see the house they were going to live in.

Sunset was smirking waiting for Scootaloo's reaction that they would be living in a mansion, she knew it was going to be good. 5 minutes later she was proven right, Scootaloo's mouth was wide open at seeing the massive estate in front of her. She could see the private pool next to the house located opposite the garage which could store 5 vehicles, not that they needed it to.

The main entrance to the house opened up to a grand staircase leading to the basement, second and third floors. In the basement was Luna's soon to be gaming room that still had to be outfitted, but would be finished by the end of the week. Next to it was the room where Sunset's laboratory would exist with top of the line equipment, making it the best in the city. There were more empty rooms down there, but they hadn't decided what to do with them yet.

On the first floor was the kitchen, dining room, living room and, bar. The kitchen was next to the pool and had a door so that in the summer you could eat outside. The dining room was on the opposite side of the kitchen giving easy access for people to eat in it. On the other side of the stairs was the bar, a perfect place for parties to be held, Sunset knew that Pinkie would love it. Next to the bar was the entrance to the garage meaning that in winter they wouldn't have to go outside in the cold to get to it. Behind the stairs and between the living room and dining room was the exit to the beachside that came with the house.

On the second floor were the master bedroom and another one of similar size, for Celestia and Luna to sleep in. Both of the bedrooms opened up to a shared balcony which had a magnificent view of the lake. There was also a couple of guest bedrooms on this floor. Finally on the third floor were the bedrooms for the children each getting a great view and large amounts of space to do whatever they wanted.

The unconventional family moved into their respective rooms to unpack and relax after a long day of moving clothes and other essentials to stay in the already furnished house.


Applejack/Rarity
On Wednesday it was even worse for Applejack, she spent almost the entire day working on the farm and only stopped when Rarity came by to pick her up.

"Hey Rarity what are you doing here?"

"You told me that you could help me with my store, but now that I see the state you're in.... let's just say you look like you need some help."

"AH'M FINE," Applejack shouted at the accusation, "Ah said Ah would help ya so Ah will."

"Okay then, no need to shout."

"Ah'm sorry."

"It's fine, let's go."

Rarity drove Applejack to her store - the Carousel Boutique - where Applejacks eyes widened at what she saw. 5 truckloads of furniture were parked in the street waiting to be unloaded.

"Don't ya think this is a bit much?"

"Oh, that's not all for me, turns out the store next door is also redecorating and they needed somewhere to park their vehicles. My things are only in the first 2 trucks." Applejack sighed happily at not having to do that much work.

"I wrote some instructions for what work needs to be completed on the table over there," Rarity told her.

Applejack started to move the pristine, white furniture into the shop while Rarity went to grab a drink from the local Starbucks. Applejack noticed that they would run out of space soon for the new furniture and decided to move the older, black furniture out of the shop.

After half an hour, Rarity came back with a couple of drinks for the two of them and asked Applejack what she had done with the furniture that was in the store.

"Ah put it in the truck so that it could be moved easily."

"Why did you do that? The theme was a clash between light and dark, old and new; you just undid all my previous work on the store."

"Ah'm sorry Rarity Ah didn't realize." At this point, Rarity was fuming so much that her look could kill. Applejack was worried that if Rarity got any angrier, she would spontaneously combust into flames.

"I TOLD YOU THERE WERE CLEAR INSTRUCTIONS THAT I WROTE DOWN ON ONE OF THE TABLES," Rarity shouted before taking a deep breath. "I'm sorry for shouting at you, but you just destroyed the work I did in the last week."

"Ah understand, Ah'm sorry, but Ah think Ah threw out the instructions as Ah thought they were scrap paper."

"You didn't think to read them?"

"To be honest, Ah couldn't read what was on it, Ah'm too exhausted to read right now."

"Just get out, I time to calm down." Applejack did as she was told, leaving very quickly.

After the mistake Applejack made she went back to the farm. Meanwhile, Rarity texted Sunset, Rainbow, Fluttershy and, Pinkie. She told them to meet up at the Sugarcube Corner tomorrow.


The next day, the 5 girls were sitting at the Sugarcube Corner; they had come up with a plan to stop the destruction that Applejack was inadvertently causing. They would have an intervention, AJ's obsession with her work was carelessly destroying the world around her and needed to be stopped. To do this the 5 girls decided that while tieing her down would be the fastest method, it wouldn't convince her to change. The best way to stop her, they decided, would be to help her with the massive amount of labour she had to do on the farm.

They quickly rushed into Rarities car to head to Sweet Apple Acres to stop the menace that was an overworked Applejack. They all saw her working in the orchard when they arrived; she looked as if she hadn't slept in 20 years let alone a week and they realised that the situation was worse than they thought it was.

"Applejack," Sunset called to her. It was no use; Applejack was so tired she didn't even realise that her salvation had come.

The 5 girls went up to their insomniac friend and tapped her on the shoulder. The sudden touch of another person made AJ jump up in fright causing Rainbow to fall on the ground laughing. Once Applejack got over the fright she glared at Rainbow and asked: "Why are ya here?"

"Applejack can we talk?"

"Can bee's squawk? Ah don't think so."

"CAN WE TALK?"

"Why didn't ya say so? Of course we can, what do you want to talk about?"

"It's about what you did yesterday."

"Oh yes, I wasn't quite feeling myself."

"Because you're working too hard, you need a break."

"No Ah don't, Ah promised that Ah would run the farm while mah brother was away and that's what Ah'm gonna do." At this point Applejack collapsed from exhaustion; Rainbow and Fluttershy rushed forward to catch her before she hit the ground.

"Put her to sleep in her bed you two. The rest of us will work on the farm," Sunset ordered them.


When Applejack came to, she found herself in her bed. Thinking back to what happened she gasped when she realized that her work for the day wasn't done. Her frantic self, failed to notice a giggling Sunset in the corner of the room until she spoke up. "What are you worried about?"

"Ah haven't finished mah work."

"Just come with me to look outside." The pair of them went and looked out of the window to see the legendary Sweet Apple Acres orchard wholly cleared of all apples.

"What did ya do?"

"It wasn't just me AJ; all our friends saw that you needed help but, you should have just asked rather than work yourself half to death."

"Ah'm sorry about that."

"It's not me you have to apologize to, now the rest of them are waiting downstairs. Tell them I'll be just a moment, I have something to write down."

"Okay, Sunset thank you for all your help."

"No problem, just ask next time."

"Ah sure will," Applejack laughed as she headed downstairs.

Sunset opened the journal that she always kept on her and started to write.

Dear Princess Celestia
This week was the end of term break for the first term of school, and lots of things happened. Firstly I got a sister who seems to hate me; her name is Scootaloo; Applejack taught us all the downside of being as stubborn as a mule (no offence); we moved into a new house, it's the largest in Canterlot. I learned more about video games which are a technology used for entertainment in this world. We have something quite similar in Equestria, but it's not at the level that it is here as they only exist in arcades.

Scootaloo is living with this worlds Celestia because her mother and father are off on some expedition leaving her without parental guidance. I don't know why she seems to hate me, but I think it might be because of the stress of being away from her parents as she is still quite young. I hope that I can help her through this, but it might be beyond my control, any advice would be helpful.

Applejack took on too many responsibilities ranging from competing with Rainbow as a team in a video game competition to managing the farm. She was quite tired after each day, leading to her being more of a hindrance than any help. This led to us having to help her, but not we forced her to accept it (She's quite stubborn!).

Like I said previously, we moved into the largest house in Canterlot. Celestia bought it using the money we got from selling the jewels and gold. The house is right next to this beautiful lake and is also quite close to the school (It's challenging to describe).

Finally, video games are a prevalent entertainment medium in this world. Many different types are ranging from strategy and 4X (Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate) to fighting games and FPS (First Person Shooters) to RPG's and MOBA's (Role Playing Games and Multiplayer Online Battle Arena). I will provide an extensive list later. The humans seem to use them to vent after an argument or fight, possibly resulting in a large amount of violence in the games. RPG's and Strategy appears to be the most popular types as they allow the player to escape their reality and live out their fantasies. I will continue to do more research on this, but I have found out that some people suffer from addiction to these games. Recently a new medical classification list was released called ICD-11 which said that about 0.5-2% of gamers suffer from it. That is something to consider if you want to introduce this technology to Equestria (At least in the form that it currently is in).

Sincerely Sunset Shimmer (Richest Canterlot Resident)


Dear Sunset
That is very interesting to hear; I will make sure to keep an eye on this emerging industry so that it doesn't hurt my little ponies. From what you described Scootaloo seems Jealous of your relationship with Principal Celestia, I believe a young filly you know very well was also quite Jealous of a certain pink princess. My advice is simply to talk to her; try to make Scootaloo understand that her behaviour is wrong like I did with you before it escalates to a situation neither of you wants. It is good to hear that you learned the dangers of stubbornness, that was what cost me, my sister. Finally, I hope to see some pictures of your house when the portal opens in 3 and a half years.
Sincerely Princess Celestia (Richest Equestrian - I can brag too)

Author's Note:

Sorry for the hiatus but, I had school work to do and I was sick. Next week probs won't have a chapter upload either. Please comment any mistakes as I probably missed something in editing.