• Published 6th Oct 2018
  • 9,724 Views, 265 Comments

Stream of Silver, Heart of Gold - RadBunny



Gallus didn't grow up with friends or family, let alone anything more. When a bubbly pink hippogriff wants to spend more time with him, will their friendship crash and burn, or will a heart iced over by years of neglect thaw and want something more?

  • ...
7
 265
 9,724

Chapter Four: Pukwudgies, Timberwolves, and Cockatrice’s oh my! Part 1

“Silver, my pride won’t survive this you know.” Gallus grumbled, shifting the large backpack between his shoulders. The pair walked along a slightly-tread path leading through the thick forest.

“Huh? Why? So we got lost on a camping trip, big deal! We’re not even in the Everfree! Erm, right?” The chipper hippogriff remarked back with a characteristic smile.

“Technically not, but there’s no defined line in the forest here. There’s also still a storm coming. And what I mean is, our other four friends are totally going to think we ditched them for…reasons.” Gallus replied, a light blush starting to color his cheeks.
I mean, we haven’t even kissed yet. I mean a peck on a cheek yeah, but not-!
In terms of how much I’ll hear about this from Smoulder, that fact does not help at all. Last I heard, dragon’s don’t do the ‘slow romance’ thing.

“Why would we ditch them? We planned this for a good few weeks, but at least there’s other schoolmates in the general campsite so they won’t be alone either!” Silverstream remarked at his side as they continued along a path.

Gallus couldn’t resist. He could explain calmly…
Or he could turn Silverstream into a blushing adorable mess.

The gryphon completely failed at hiding his grin, calmly bumping into Silverstreams shoulder.
“What I meaaaan, is they think we probably ‘got lost’ on purpose.” He sat down in front of Silver and yanked her into a very tight hug.

Of course that also prevented her from seeing his cheeky grin.
“As to why; well-” He gave her a quick kiss on the cheek, gently caressing down to her neck feathers and then back up to under her chin.

And just like that, he let Silverstream go and hopped back a pace.
His efforts were not unrewarded in the slightest. The poor hippogriff was even pinker than normal, all her face feathers completely puffed out as she stared at him in shock.
“I-w-wa?” She stammered, still blinking at the chuckling gryphon.

“I’m sorry-ok not that sorry. It was too perfect, but the point stands.” Gallus said between barely contained bursts of laughter.

He walked a bit closer and pulled Silverstream into a hug again, this time making sure he could look in her eyes.
“I mean, I don’t mind being alone so I don’t have to hear Smolder laughing about how huggable I am.” He mused.
Oh boy. Knowing Smolder and dragons, they probably thought we snuck away for a different reason, like-
…oh. Oh dear.

Poor Silverstream’s blush only intensified, the hippogriff finally leaning into his hug and taking a deep breath.
“That was mean, but I can’t be mad though. I suppose they could think that, even though we haven’t even, well, gone past this stuff.” She whispered, then sagging into his arms as Gallus rested a set of claws on her cheek.

“Stuff like thiiiiiis?” He asked with a grin, the adoring look in Silverstream’s eyes filling his entire frame with warmth.

“N-not fair….mmmmmmm.” She mumbled, eyes glazing over slightly at his touch.

“We do have to find a campsite or something though. It’s probably going to rain.” Gallus remarked, not able to keep the smile off his face as he let Silverstream go. She let out a slight huff and continued to walk at his side as they started down the path again.
The fact she turned into putty with just a hug and a touch was an amazing feeling. It only reinforced Silver’s determined proclamation of how much she cared for him.
Someone cares for me.
The thought was constantly present whenever Silverstream was near; and Gallus was starting to think Silver was telepathic. Any time the usual thoughts crept in; his lack of family, home, anything, she’d-

A brief nuzzle on his cheek caused Gallus’ breath to hitch in his chest.
“How do you do that?” He whispered, head shaking slightly.

“Hmm? You look sad sometimes. So I figure not so happy thoughts. If I had to gueeeesss, those thoughts involve you and some untrue-stuff about not being worth much. Soooooo, perfect time to remind you that I care.” She explained happily, Gallus letting out a grateful sigh.

“Thanks Silver. You’re pretty much on target for that.”

The affectionate look Silverstream cast Gallus’ way had his heart nearly beating out of his chest.
Saying that another was looking at him ‘lovingly’ was not in his vocabulary, or even in realm of understanding. And yet this was the closest thing he could relate it too.
Maybe kiss her first THEN say the L-word. Sheesh. Do I even know what it means for that matter?
That was a musing for later, especially since a line of very sharp multicolored quills embedded themselves into the ground not a tail-length in front of the couple.

“Pukwudgies?” Silverstream asked softly.

“Pukwudgies. RUN!” Gallus exclaimed, dashing back down the path with Silverstream as no less than ten of the devilish porcupine-mutant things chased after them
Devilish porcupine mutants. Something to not call them around Fluttershy.

After a good few minutes of running, the two stopped, chests heaving.
“I think, we’re good. And no quills!” Gallus gasped, then saw Silverstream grimace.

“Erm. I don’t think they liked our taste in sleeping bags though.” She said, pointing to the pack on his shoulders as well as her own.
Their two sleeping bags were indeed massive pincushions.

“Yeah, we’ll need to build a fire. At least we’ll have a tent. If that isn’t shredded.” Gallus sighed, gesturing to a small worn path that branched off to their right.

“That one looks like it leads to a clearing. Is as good as any I guess.”

“Sounds good!” The hippogriff was a upbeat as always, despite the loss of their primary method of staying warm.

The clearing must have been an old campsite, because there was a small dirt area where their tents would fit, as well as a simple but overgrown fire pit. After setting up their two small tents, it was a simple matter to clear out the grass and find some tinder to get a fire going.

“So if these don’t work, you know how to start a fire without matches?” Silverstream asked, as Gallus used the small pack of cheap matchsticks to try and ignite the pile of tinder.

“Yeah. It’s a pain. Flint and steel works best. But I can use the old type of two sticks and a bow, moving it back and forth.” He explained, letting out a sigh of relief as the pile ignited.

“Thankfully don’t have to do that though. It’s a pain, especially in winter.”

Gallus saw Silverstream’s ears and wings slump at his remark, and the gryphon scooted over to nudge her shoulder.
“Hey, you ok?” He asked curiously, also keeping an eye on the fire in the fading light.

“Just isn’t a happy thought. You trying to start a fire alone and cold.” She replied, forcing a slight smile onto her face.

Gallus sighed, looking at the fire and then back to the hippogriff. He wrapped an arm over her shoulders, Silverstream promptly leaning on him.
“Look, my life in Griffinstone might have been horrible, but right now it’s the total opposite. I’ve got friends, a new family, great food.” He mused, and let out a slight chuckle. “And, I’m not alone, and not cold in the slightest.”

Silverstream let out a happy hum at his words, then looking over to their shredded sleeping bags.
“Tonight is gonna be a cold one, huh?” She mused, prompting the gryphon to shrug.

“Eh. Probably. We might be able to use both bags as a blanket if nothing else. We’ll just have to see though.”

A dull boom of thunder caused Gallus’ ears to flatten, and he returned to all fours.
“Guess we should get some more wood. We should store it in the tent, keep it dry and the fire going as long as possible.”

“Oh! Good idea!”

As the two began gathering as much medium-sized logs as possible, Gallus heard a few twigs crackle.
The growl that followed was definitely not Silverstream’s stomach. Two, then four, then six green eyes stared at the young gryphon from the darkness.
“Of course Timberwolves.” Gallus muttered, slowly edging back to the fire. A familiar high-pitched voice then yelled out to his left.

“TIMBERWOLVES!”
Crud.

Author's Note:

A shorter but two part chapter! Huzzah! The adorableness has been doubled!
Now, I have a question for everyone: WALL OF TEXT ALERT.

So I’ve changed the tag to ‘Teen’, mainly for snuggly adorable romance. (I can’t see the beginning chapter scene existing within the main show; ergo, Teen rating. Kisses, hugs, alllllll the fuzzy fluffy stuff I think falls within that rating.
…also the whole slightly-dark/depressing past of Gallus. If it’s ever explored further.)
(Was musing over adding another tag/possible jokes....but doesn't fit- thank you all for the feedback!)