• Published 6th Oct 2018
  • 9,704 Views, 265 Comments

Stream of Silver, Heart of Gold - RadBunny



Gallus didn't grow up with friends or family, let alone anything more. When a bubbly pink hippogriff wants to spend more time with him, will their friendship crash and burn, or will a heart iced over by years of neglect thaw and want something more?

  • ...
7
 265
 9,704

Chapter Eight: Dancing From The Heart

Hearts and Hooves day was an odd affair. For Gallus, until moving to Ponyville he didn’t even have a concept of the idea. The first year he experienced it the day just seemed to just be an excuse to eat lots of candy and shower your special somepony with affection.
The second year, not much else had changed; except now Gallus felt like he was missing out of something. Not in the holiday itself, but in what it represented. It was like a hole had revealed itself, the gryphon never knowing it had been gouged in the first place.
In short, the second year had not been fun.

The third Heart and Hooves Day just last week had been the polar opposite of the past years though. It had been simply another date night for he and Silverstream; both of them just happy to have the chance to spend time with the other. Well, that was mostly true; they had spent a longer time together than most dates, but nothing too extravagant. Dinner and exploring south of Ponyville, just enjoying the company of each other.

The main event was this week though; a semi-formal dance the students had been preparing months for.
While the dance was on Gallus’ mind, the current individual snuggling close to him garnered his full attention. Loving pink arms hugged him close, and two purple eyes brimming with affection gazed back at him. Sitting underneath their favorite tree, Gallus couldn’t think of much that would rival holding Silverstream in an embrace.
The gryphon’s heart rose to his throat and warmth flooded his frame as Silverstream nuzzled her head underneath his, resting against his chest.
Gallus wasn’t sure if he’d ever get used to the idea of having a special somegriff.
Someone who actually wants to be close to me, enjoys my company and wants to make an effort just to be with me.
Me.

The adoration in Silverstream’s eyes whenever she looked at him was enough to almost pull Gallus to tears. All his life, nobody had ever given him a passing glance, let alone one with such genuine and sincere affection. Now, there was someone who wanted nothing more than to be with him.
I really hope to show you how much that means to me Silverstream.

Gallus had to suppress a wide grin at that thought. The past few months had been difficult; keeping his secret project hidden and all. Thankfully, he seemed to have pulled it off. Silverstream had no idea…
And to think, I actually like dancing.
The lessons with Rarity had been every other day at first, and then daily commitments. Gallus had offered to somehow compensate her for the time, be it the few bits he owned or maybe helping in the shop, but the Element of Generosity had lived up to that title. In her own words; “Love has no price darling! Now on to the next set of moves!”

It had been especially tricky to hide his knowledge during the after-school practice with other students, and yet nobody was the wiser. Silverstream had taken a ton of classes for formal balls and such, being royalty and all. So she actually was able to help teach other students when they were having trouble, making it easier for Gallus to not reveal his newfound skills.
Gallus wasn’t sure if he was on her level yet, but Rarity had given him the stamp of approval last week; Three different styles, and advanced moves in each.
“I’d say you dance better than many-nay, MOST ruffians at balls I’ve been to! So I’d say you’re ready, Gallus!” Rarity had crowed happily, having given him a simple yet elegant bow-tie as a congratulatory gift.

Dark silver in color, it was enough of a simple adornment to dress up for such an event. Gryphons and Hippogriffs didn’t have much in the sense of clothing like ponies did, so this was about as fancy as he could get.
“Rarity, I can’t thank you enough.” It was still a new thing to Gallus to be genuine from the heart, but the mare had simply given him a friendly hug, nodding in approval.

“It has been my pleasure Gallus.”

Silverstream shifted in his arms, prompting the gryphon to snap back to the present.
“Y-know, the dance will start in about two hours.” Gallus mused, Silverstream letting out a sigh.

“I knoooooooooooow. But that leaves like, an hour and fifty-nine more minutes of this.” She chirped, pulling back to give her special somegriff a tender kiss.
Gallus would have never thought the range of affectionate gestures one could give; or in this case, receive. He wasn’t about to complain about any of them obviously, but gentle kisses seemed to have a different feeling; always a good one though.

Not able to resist a genuine smile, Gallus took a set of her claws in his and gave them a squeeze.
“I’d like to think that’s a possibility, but I do need to get ready and stuff. As do you.” He let out a soft hum. “I mean, I think you’re gorgeous as is, so anything else is just a bonus. Not like it-MMMFFFF”

The fiery kiss that followed made Gallus’ heart swim and see stars. Fully aware of the stupid grin on his face, the gryphon looked at the smug hippogriff as she pulled back briefly. Obviously she enjoyed his reactions as much as he did hers; but whenever Silver decided to give him a kiss like that, it completely erased any other thoughts.
Who knew that kisses could be so nice?

“I mean, that’s one way of directing the conversation.” He chuckled, letting out a sigh as he stood up slowly.
“We do probably need to get ready though. I’ll see you there of course. If you can pull me away from the snack table that is.” Gallus quipped, making Silverstream pout and glare at him.

The fact a smile threatened to split her beak made it a bit less intimidating.
“You’d better treat me to at least once dance.”

Gallus grinned and gave her cheek a nuzzle, finally nodding.
“Well of course.”
Silver, you have no idea. We’re going to dance the night away.

The two parting to head to their respective rooms, Gallus busied himself with combing down his feathers and fur after a quick shower. A bit of oil to add to the sheen, and then the lovely silk bow-tie from Rarity. He turned it over in his claws, noticing a very subtle detail. Set in the corners with subdued maroon thread, was the Griffinstone crest.
I can’t run from where I’m from, or how I grew up. But I can at least own it.
It was more difficult than it seemed; when getting the pieces for Silverstream’s necklace, Gallus nearly had a full-blown panic attack as he had walked the streets of Griffinstone a few months earlier.
Well, a work in progress at least.

The necktie complimented his blue fur and feathers perfectly, standing out amidst the cream color on the gryphon’s chest.
He actually looked rather good. That was another addition on the list of ‘huh, this is a new thought.’

“Yo, you ready?” Sandbar called, knocking on the door.

“Yep, better early than late I guess.” Gallus replied, opening the door and looking over the pony. Clad in a simple suit and tie, Sandbar certainly looked well put together.

“Lookin’ good. Going to impress some’ling?”
A bright blush on Sandbar’s cheeks was a good affirmative answer, the gryphon walking out with the stallion as they headed to the main gymnasium.

The halls were artistically decorated with varying hearts-and-hooves day apparel, but not enough to be garish.
Thankfully.

The actual holiday had nearly blinded Gallus with all the shades of pink assaulting his vision. There was really only one shade of pink he enjoyed being close to, and none of the decorations were Silverstream-toned.
Since when did even thinking about her hugs make me feel warm?
Is that a new thing?

Reaching the main building, Gallus glanced around at the repurposed gymnasium. The bleachers were shoved back against the wall, a plethora of simple plastic snack tables and chairs taking their place. There was a snow-white pony with large shades adjusting some speakers and sound systems at the front of the building, overlooking what appeared to be the dance floor. The lighting was decent (thankfully,) so Gallus wouldn’t get a headache as his brain tried to adapt to night or not. The lights would likely dim, but that would probably be a gentle effect rather than an abrupt shut off…

“I’m, um, going to find Ocellus.” Sandbar stammered, causing Gallus to blush and give him a hoof-claw bump.

“Hope you have fun dude. Cya.” Gallus remarked with a grin, sitting near the entrance to look over the early occupants. More students streamed in, many already having a dancing partner (or romantic one for that matter.) The alabaster DJ cued up a bit of light background music, causing Gallus to tap a few of his claws in time to the beat.
I wonder if something like this could ever happen in Griffinstone?

The gryphon’s musings ground to a halt as he spied a familiar shade of pink walk in through one of the side doors with a few of the other girls.
Meandering his way in that general direction, Gallus was about to wave as she turned-
Whoa.

It wasn’t anything jarring; but a subtle few changes that weaved Silverstream’s character into a sight that made Gallus’ heart skip. She wore a plain yet graceful silver tiara nestled into her head feathers, along with an interesting teal-silk half shawl that draped over the tops of her shoulders.

It was only when Silverstream was closer and began to giggle that Gallus realize he had been staring.
“I hope I don’t have a second head or something.” She quipped, the blush on her cheeks giving a clear hint she knew exactly why he had paused.

“With how gorgeous you are, I don’t think that’d matter. Might make conversation awkward though.” Gallus finally replied, a tender yet slightly dopey smile plastering itself on his beak. “You really do look amazing Silver.” He added, prompting a quick kiss from the hippogriff.

“Well same to you. Quite the handsome gryphon as always, if I do say so myself. Simple yet dressy.” Silverstream giggled back, looking him over briefly. Or rather, not-so-briefly, a blush quickly starting to rise on her cheeks.
I think that’s the first time anyone has ever called me that…ok now she definitely staring.
Awesome.
“So did we both grow two heads, or?” Gallus asked with a cheeky grin, Silverstream pouting as best as she could. He had to give her an ‘A’ for effort, but the bright blush and affectionate gaze destroyed any real pouting chance.

“Just admiring my special somegriff.”

Giving Silverstream’s cheek a gentle caress with his own, Gallus’ frame flooded with affection as she sighted contentedly.
Headmare Twilight’s voice came over the speakers briefly, explaining the general layout of the dance, emergency exits, best ways to get punch out of clothing-
Thankfully Spike was there to step in with a much shorter list of things; ‘Snacks to the sides, general school rules, and have fun!’

As a few couples began to sway back and forth to the background music, Gallus couldn’t help but barely contain his excitement.
“When the song starts, may I have this dance, Silverstream?” Gallus asked, bowing and offering his claws to the hippogriff.

With a muffled squeal of joy, Silverstream’s wings flared out briefly before taking his claws in hers.
“You most certainly may.” She replied, using a rather royal and smooth tone that had Gallus’ ears perk up.

The first three songs were from their practicing sessions; allowing all the students to get acclimated. It also got rid of the nerves for many, since it was steps everyone had practiced before. Gallus led Silverstream smoothly through each motion, not letting any of his other practice show though. They were one of only a few bipedal dancers; since for ponies it was an advanced technique.
The fact Silverstream was just all smiles indicated she had no idea what was coming.
Even this simple stuff, she’s just happy to dance with me.
That thought brought a smile to Gallus' face; how could it not? Someone just enjoyed being in his company.

Seeing Twilight take the small stage next to the DJ had the gryphon’s brief attention. What was she doing with that microphone-oooooh.
As a vaguely familiar song began to play, Gallus almost laughed.
This. Is. Perfect!

Shifting his stance, Gallus yanked Silverstream close with a sly grin.
“Hey Silver?” He whispered, the hippogriff now looking at him curiously.

“Hmm?”

“Let’s dance.”

Recommended: Appropriate Music 1

The music blasted out of the speakers in a wave of energy, almost every pony dancing in some fashion, on the floor or not. Every creature’s head began to bob as Twilight began to sing, her strong voice blending perfectly with the music. Shifting into a face-paced swing stance, Gallus swung Silverstream out, pulling her back into a close hold with a grin- and a matching squeak from the surprised hippogriff.

“G-Gallus?! You can dance!?” She squealed, eyes wide with shock.

“I’ve been practicing.” Was all he could say before stepping in time, the hippogriff overcoming her surprise and keeping pace. Gallus swung her out into a twirl- Silverstream smoothly following through back into his arms as they then double-stepped back and forth. Her beautiful purple eyes were damp as she looked back at him, seeming to be almost on the verge of tears.

“YOU CAN DANCE!” She yelled, thankfully ‘mostly’ drowned out by the music as Gallus swung her out again, not able to resist a genuine laugh. Energy and joy radiated from Silverstream as she matched every one of Gallus’ moves, every swingout, step, twirl, and even short hops.

Every time she ended up back in his arms, the hippogriff looked happier and happier. Gallus could feel her vibrating with energy, a smile never leaving her beak as she embraced the dance to the fullest. A soft barely-muffled squeak of delight was present on almost every twirl and dip, falling silent to a bright blush when ending back up in Gallus' arms.

A carefree laugh left her beak as he spun her out again, pulling Silverstream back to step in time with the music. Despite the whirlwind of other couples dancing or just swaying to the beat, all Gallus could focus on was the beautiful hippogriff holding his claws. Every graceful swing and flare of her wings had his heart burning. How she could seem so carefree yet graceful at the same time was a true mystery.

Gallus was vaguely aware of the two of them being in a circle of onlookers, but at that moment he couldn’t care less. Swinging Silverstream out for another twirl, he yanked her back to then step in time as a few ponies began to clap. The gryphon didn’t let up; Silverstream keeping perfect pace with more dips and twirls, their hooves and paws stepping inches from the other in time to the music. The brief moment Gallus caught Silver’s gaze, he could only smile at seeing the adoration in her eyes.

As the song ended and a new song began to play, the two swayed back and forth in a half-waltz dance until the beat picked up again.
“G-gallus, I-” Silver’s words cut off, her beak quivering as she looked back at him lovingly. The gryphon gave her cheek a brush with his claws, then holding her shoulder as the song began to pick up. There was so much emotion behind her affectionate gaze-

“Short break after this song? Rest our feet?” Gallus asked, hoping he was picking up on the correct cues.
A brief nod indicated he had been right indeed.

The next song was a slow waltz; Gallus smoothly leading Silverstream around the dance floor with the other couples. Her moves weren’t as energetic, but seemed more precise and genuine, if the gryphon had to pick a word.
I don’t know what’s on your mind Silver, but all I want is to be worthy of how you look at me.
The surprisingly poetic thought caused Gallus’ own eyes to water, and as the song ended he gave her shoulder a gentle squeeze.

“Shall we?” He asked, the two weaving off to the side. It was a simple matter for Gallus to follow Silverstream as she led them outside to the small grassy hills.

Optional: Appropriate music 2

Sitting down, Gallus looked over to Silverstream as she snuggled up next to him, taking a shaky breath.
“Gallus. I-y-you….” Words seemed to catch in her through, prompting Gallus to shift to look at her. Taking a set of her claws in his, Gallus managed to catch Silverstream’s gaze.

“Silver, what’s up?” He asked gently.
A few of the barriers behind Silverstream’s emotions finally broke, and the hippogriff’s eyes ran with tears, a genuine smile on her beak.

“Y-you have no idea how m-much t-that meant to m-me.” She sniffed, her sides shaking slightly.
Gallus gently reached up to cup her cheek in his claws, scooting a bit closer.

“I guess I don’t, but I’m starting to get a general idea.” He whispered with a tender smile.

That gesture broke down Silver’s last emotional dams, the hippogriff leaning against Gallus’ chest to cry. The gryphon would have been concerned, but the nuzzling of his feathers was a fair sign that they weren’t sad tears. A few times Silverstream actually sobbed, then calming down after a few moments as hiccups took place of the tears.

Gallus caressed her head-feathers as Silverstream looked up at him, a few tears still shimmering in her eyes.
“Feel better?” He asked, prompting a rather embarrassed “Mmmmhmm.”

“You never told me that was something you wanted.” He asked, prompting a giggle-punctuated hiccup.

“S-says the pot to the kettle!” She chirped with a smile, nuzzling his feathers briefly.

“Ok, I guess we both haven’t shared some stuff. Plenty of stuff.” Gallus admitted, pulling back slightly to look into Silverstream’s eyes again. “But I’d really like to.” He said softly, prompting another sniffle.

“I’d l-like that too.” Silver replied, a final hiccup making her blush. “Gallus, when did you learn all that? How?” Her voice then got a bit quieter.
“Why?”

Gallus shifted to let Silverstream lean on his shoulder, shrugging his wings slightly.
“When? The past few months, every day after school. The Element of Generosity isn’t just a nickname it turns out. So that takes care of when and how.” He mused, resting his head against Silver’s.
“As to why? I just wanted to show you I care. I don’t know much about relationships, but I know that when you love someone, you should show that you care.”

The instant he felt Silverstream stiffen, Gallus' brain finally registered his own words.
Well. I never really knew when I’d say it, but-
Turning to meet her gaze, Gallus failed to swallow the lump in his throat as he gave her claws a squeeze.
“And I do love you Silverstream. I really do. It’s taken me a bit to be able to say it…” His words lodged in his throat, but the kiss Silverstream gave him made any thoughts melt away. Wrapped up in her arms, Gallus felt the hippogriff shake ever so slightly, rocking him back and forth.

“I love you too Gallus, I love you so much. I w-was afraid you w-wouldn’t e-ever-”

Gallus returned the hug, holding her close as a few of his own tears wet his feathers.
“I’ve loved you for a while, Silver. I just didn’t know how to say it, and wanted to be sure.”

“S-sure?” She asked, voice both curious and a bit cautious.

“I w-wanted to make sure it wasn’t a passing thing.” He explained, the gryphon not able to stem the tears that ran down his cheeks.
For the first time in my life. Someone actually…

“But I only cared for you more as time went on. More and more; Not less, never less.” He whispered, hearing another hiccup from the hippogriff.

“I n-never expected I-love-you’s to be so tearful.” Silverstream giggled, resting in his arms happily.

“But this is perfect. I’ve always wanted…” Her words broke off, prompting a slight squeeze from Gallus.

“Always?”

A slight nod answered his question, Gallus not pushing the question further. All he did was hug her closer and nuzzle his cheek.
I guess there’s more than a few things we haven’t shared about ourselves.
But I want to Silverstream, and I’m not going anywhere.

Gallus reached down and gently held the necklace around his neck, a pink feather, seashell, and stone hanging just below the bow-tie before looking up at her again. He opened his beak, but no words came out- Silverstream seeing the gesture and only smiling, wiping away some residual dampness on her cheeks.
“I still owe you as many dances as you want.” Gallus whispered, prompting Silver to giggle, the two standing up slowly.

“I’d like that, very, very much.” Silverstream replied, letting out a squeak as Gallus grabbed her in another brief hug.

“I love you Silverstream- I don’t know if I’ll ever get over saying that.” Gallus whispered, prompting a happy giggle.

“I love you too Gallus, and don’t think that’s a thought just for you. I’m kinda new to all this too!”

Once again, she tried to pout.
Emphasis on tried.
Her failed pouts are adorable.

There was a new depth to Silverstream’s gaze as they walked back to the dance, Gallus' heart still beating out of his chest. Her eyes held a different layer of emotion now-
Security? Care?
….Love.

The current song was almost over, and Gallus took a few deep breaths to try and make sure he didn’t start crying again. As a fast-paced swing tune began to make the speakers thump, Gallus held out a set of claws to Silverstream.

“Shall we?” He asked with a smile, spinning the hippogriff into his arms the moment she took his claws. Her characteristic squeal of joy was music to his ears as they danced, both their beaks split in wide, shameless smiles. The passing of new songs was only an indicator to shift dance styles, neither wanting to take a break. Silverstream’s bottomless energy quickly had returned, eagerly spinning and hopping as Gallus led them through each set of moves. The smile never left her beak, the hippogriff occasionally letting out a soft hum of affection when a slower song came on and she was able to rest her head on Gallus’ shoulder.

It was only after individuals began to filter out of the gymnasium that they realized the final song was playing, and the two were one of only a few couples still on the dance floor.
They both took a formal bow to each other, and promptly began to laugh, making their way to the exit.
“BEST. DANCE. EVER!”

Despite echoing off the gymnasium halls and making Gallus’ ears ring, the gryphon couldn’t help but laugh.
“Best ‘dances’ ever.” He added with a smirk, prompting Silverstream to giggle with a nudge to the shoulder.

"So many dances; my hooves and claws are gonna aaaaaaache. But so worth it.” She grinned, letting out a slight sigh as they reached the dormitory area.

“See you tomorrow?” She asked, ears perked up slightly as Gallus grasped at his heart with a wince.

“That hurts! Oh how you have wounded me. To even think I wouldn’t want to meet you for breakfast or lunch after such a night is such a-MMFF!” Silverstream was still all smiles as she broke the kiss, giving him a gentle nuzzle briefly.

“You can be such a sarcastic ham Gallus.” She then sighed, eyes becoming slightly dreamy as the gryphon rested a set of claws on her cheek. “I love it, which means you.” She mumbled, sighing as Gallus wrapped her up in a tender hug.

“Love you too Silver; goodnight.” He whispered, Silverstream happily trotting through the door with a wave.

“Goodnight Gallus!”

The gryphon didn’t miss the high-pitched happy ‘OHMYGOSHHESAIDHELOVESMEEEEEEEE’ that echoed through the hall as he made his way to the other dormitory.

I love someone, and someone loves me…

This really is home.

Author's Note:

FLUFF HAS REACHED MAXIMUM LEVELS!
My brain was in a constant state of excited squealing during this bit, to be honest.

Loved writing this chapter; the pair solidifying another layer to their relationship.

Gallus' and Silverstream's adventures are only beginning, so stay tuned for the epilogue/link to the sequel! I'm glad so many people enjoyed this! :pinkiehappy: