• Published 6th Oct 2018
  • 9,689 Views, 265 Comments

Stream of Silver, Heart of Gold - RadBunny



Gallus didn't grow up with friends or family, let alone anything more. When a bubbly pink hippogriff wants to spend more time with him, will their friendship crash and burn, or will a heart iced over by years of neglect thaw and want something more?

  • ...
7
 265
 9,689

Chapter One: Hugs vs frozen tears

When the words within a book started to blur together, that’s when Gallus knew it was time to take a break. Standing up and stretching, the gryphon walked around the school library to try and un-jumble all the information. Thankfully, most of his friends were either at home or exploring Ponyville over the long weekend. Studious or not, Gallus didn’t want to don the mantle of ‘egghead’ in the slightest. Even though his friends probably knew, the gryphon had SOME sense of pride.
How much or how little varied day to day.

Looking around, Gallus made sure nobody was in the aisle before pulling out a rather large book and setting it down. Breezing through the pages, he focused on the single page that had caused no end of aggravating thoughts and feelings.
‘A simple explanation of family structure; see figures one to three for ponies, gryphons, and dragons respectively.’
The charts were almost identical with a few small changes here and there. He had stared at this page many times before. It probably wasn’t healthy, but…

Gallus swallowed the lump in his throat as his eyes rested on a few designations.
Mother.
Father.
Sister.
Brother.
Relations; Special somepony/somegriff/somedragon
Husband. Wife.’

He knew what all those were, obviously. The more distant ones had taken a good few hours to clarify. Cousins and relations were weird. One removed, twice removed, and so on. But these simple terms always caused that stupid tightening in his chest. He understood intellectually what they meant. He just had no idea what it meant to have any of those, nor did he think he ever would.

Gallus took another look over the page and then closed it, not putting the volume back just yet. His friends were his family, that much he had figured out. A weird, crazy, whacky family. But it worked and was pretty awesome.
They had saved Equestria after all; he wouldn’t trade them for the world.

He sighed, still sitting down and staring at the book; ‘Familial and Interpersonal Relationships, Varies Species Edition Volume One.’

Even with his new family, he didn’t know, and couldn’t know what it was like to have those other relationships. Gallus wasn’t as smart as Ocellus or any other super-student, but he was smart enough to have that knowledge hurt.
Gryphons didn’t even do the whole ‘dating thing,’ so Gallus had no idea how that even worked. Maybe after everygriff stopped being such jerks in Griffinstone and such that’d happen, but who knew. The most romantic thing Gallus had ever seen was onegriff paying for another’s meal, and it wouldn’t have surprised him if that was for a bet. If it could be bottled and sold, ponies had enough hearts-and-hooves-day emotions for everywhere on the continent, and it was certainly needed.

Gallus grumbled, wings slightly slumped to match his ears. It was certainly a catch-twenty-two. He didn’t dare talk as openly about this stuff with his friends, mainly because he didn’t want pity from them or any of the teachers.
That was the root of it, why his friends meant so much to him. They were his friends and actually cared before they learned about his home life, or lack thereof. Now? How could he tell what was a gesture of pity and what was genuine unless he just didn’t bring it up? Gryphons didn’t show weakness, otherwise they’d be taken advantage of. That thought had been engrained into Gallus for his whole life. And now, to try and break that…

The issue had been eating away at the gryphon for some time, starting a bit after they had saved Equestria all those many months ago. A year? Something like that. But in recent months his friends had certainly noticed, but what could he say?

It certainly didn’t help that opening up to them that first Hearth’s Warming had unlocked the floodgates to emotions he thought long since frozen. The second had been bearable; saying goodbyes and staying at the school during the break. In reality it had been nice, a few random dinner meetings and hanging out with other ponies who had their families locally.
It still hurt though.

Not having a home or family made him a bit more mature than some of the other students in many ways, maybe even a teacher or two. Fending for himself, learning to go to bed hungry, just staying alive.
But Gallus grudgingly knew that meant nothing when he was more immature than all of them in matters of family. Or any caring relationship for that matter. Smolder didn’t count; dragons seemed like jerks even from a gryphon perspective.
Except for her, she was ok.

Gallus took out another book and placed it on top of the first volume; last thing he wanted was someone, teacher or otherwise, to put two and two together. Even so, he still stared numbly at the book pile.

Ocellus and Sandbar had been going on dates; what couples did apparently, while the rest of them had been amused bystanders. It was rather adorable, he had to admit. But even their relationship was totally alien to him. Everyone else, even Smolder, seemed to understand it.

But the only gryphon in the group was a bit befuddled. Logically he got it, but as for how it felt? Those ‘warm and fuzzy’ things? How to even go on a date? How it felt to care about someone? Not a clue. The next thought caused him to grumble slightly. …ok maybe a bit of a clue.

Silverstream had been acting different this past month or so. Still herself; Annoying at times, talkative, curious, bubbly, happy, and basically a diet Pinkie Pie. She had started sitting next to him in almost every class and activity, and she seemed to lose some of the over-the-top excitement when she did so at times. But not in a bad way, almost like she knew he could only handle a certain amount of it. It only made Gallus more unsure of himself when being with her made him genuinely happy. It was kind of happy that he hadn’t felt before, and only increased when he spotted her smiling at him every now and again.

Gallus fiddled with the books near his claws and shook his head. He wasn’t an idiot; he knew logically she was interested in him on some level. Was it his past? Curiosity? Being more than a friend? Possibly? Maybe? This was where his mind short circuited. She was of a royal family, and he was, quite literally, a homeless, family-less gryphon. A gryphon who had barely figured out how to be a good friend, let alone anything else. It certainly made things more difficult seeing the looks his friends gave him at times. They knew what she was up to, and found it rather amusing, or cute.

Gallus would agree with them, if he could even figure out what to do. Unlike other things he had dealt with, it wasn’t like he could ignore the issue. When she was around he just felt happier, her own bubbly nature easily dragging his mind away from the depressing thoughts always lurking at the corner. He felt at ease around the bouncy hippogriff; as though just being him was a good thing. That feeling alone was something new to him. The fact she tried to always be positive, that never ending curiosity, Gallus could at least admit to himself that really liked that about her. The consideration she showed for all her friends, for him; even thinking about it brought the hint of a smile to his beak.

He sighed, hanging his head slightly. He certainly wasn’t against the idea of maybe being more than a friend; he just had no idea how to do it.
Or what it felt like.
Or what was proper.
Or how he could royally mess up and lose a friend.
Or…any number of other things. It was enough to give him an instant headache.

As he continued to ponder, an idea hit him. A stupid, sappy, cutesy idea. It’d at least show that he was interested. As cheesy as it was, it gave him more peace than any other thought had in the past. Of course, he first had to find-

Gallus blinked, seeing a pair of pink-tufted forelimbs at the edge of his vision. Well, first problem solved.
Silversteam instantly perked up at seeing Gallus, flying on over as she was prone to do instead of walking…for whatever reason. It was still pretty amusing.

“Hey! Gallus! Whatcha up to? We don’t have a test for a while!” She chirped softly, sitting in front of him and craning her neck to see the title of the book at his feet.
“Huh. You want to learn how to write romance novels?” A soft gasp left her beak.
“I never kneeeeeeeew-”
“W-wha?! No!” Gallus quickly removed the how-to book and shoved it back, shaking his head.
“I was randomly pulling out books. That was just one of them.” He explained, not able to meet the ecstatic hippogriff’s gaze.
‘Oh I’m never going to live that down.’ He sighed.

“I was just browsing random books. I mean why not? Not like we have a ton in Griffinstone. I think last I saw we had onegriff trying to start a library or something.” Gallus explained, finally looking back and seeing Silverstream’s gaze focused directly on the book now visible. Her expression was almost that of confusion, and then understanding.

Gallus grit his beak and took the volume in his claws, placing it back carefully lest Twilight have a bent-page induced rage.

“Just, nothing.” He whispered, shaking his head.

“I’m sorry Gallus, I-”

“I don’t want creatures to be sorry for me!” The gryphon hissed, the lump in his throat rising again. Turning to see Silverstream’s wide eyes, his wings and ears flattened. “Sorry Silver. You didn’t deserve that.” He muttered, shaking his head. “Can-look, outside the library where we won’t get yelled at?” Gallus finally suggested, starting to walk to the main door. He half expected her to not follow, but apparently she was right on his tail. Once in a side hall, Silver plopped onto her haunches and looked at the frustrated gryphon.

“I don’t want everyone’s pity.” He finally sighed, not able to look at the hippogriff. “My friends. The teachers. After last Hearth’s Warming, that’s the one thing I don’t want.”

“Well that’s silly!” Was the surprised reply, causing Gallus to stare at the now beaming Hippogriff.

“W-wha?”

“Well, it’s natural to feel sorry or bad for someone you care about! If you treat them different over something they couldn’t control, that’s a bigger problem, but we all care about you! So of course we feel sad for you. Doesn’t mean we should treat you different! That’d be really mean actually.” Silverstream mused, now hovering once again with a thoughtful claw on her beak.

“Like, how not-friend-like would that be? You tell us something that is totally not your fault in any way, and we treat you differently just because we feel sorry for you because of that thing? That’s like, the opposite of what friends should do! Of course we feel bad for you, but that doesn’t mean we’ll treat you different!”

Gallus could only stare, Silverstream having vocalized the exact counter argument to the problem that had been plaguing him the past months.

“…I…totally still have stuff to learn about friendship, huh?” Gallus finally asked, shaking his head. “Well, that is what I was worried about, mostly."

“Mostly?”

Gallus rubbed his temples with a set of claws, wishing for a brief moment he could be a laid-back as Sandbar or as eloquent as Ocellus.

“I…look. So, ok, friends shouldn’t treat friends differently based on pity, right? What about, um, more than friends or something?” He managed to spit out, wincing at how broken his words were.

To his surprise, Silverstream’s eyes widened as she sat back down, her expression almost hurt.
“Is that why you think I’ve-why I-” Gallus’ own heart squeezed itself in pain as a few tears welled up in Silverstream’s eyes.

“Silver, I don’t know, ok!” He finally whispered, not able to look at her. “I’m not stupid, I know you’ve been being closer to me on purpose. And that’s made me really happy. Like, happier than I’ve ever been. And that’s new and something I like. But I can’t help but wonder about it all.”

Both to Gallus’ relief and horror, he felt a few burning tears at the edge of him eyes. When you lived on your own, sometimes you cry until there’s nothing left. At least, that’s what he had thought. Instead of not having anything left, Gallus felt as though the tears from all those years had frozen, and only now were being thawed.
Mostly by a certain pink Hippogriff.

“It’s n-not fair to you either. To assume you’re acting one way just because I’m scared. Scared of you pitying me. Scared because I barely know how to be a friend, let alone how to be anything more than that, if that’s what you are wanting.”
The root of it all. Gallus thought as he looked to the floor.
He really should have expected it, but having two warm arms wrap around his torso made Gallus stiffen up. Hugs were as rare as smiles in Griffinstone, and outside his friends, Gallus could count the gestures on one of his clawed hands, maybe two.

Pulling away briefly, Silverstream caught his gaze and smiled, her eyes still damp but not with sadness.
“Gallus, you featherhead, I’ve been wanting to be close because I like you for you. You include your past and everything. I’d be doing the same thing if you were a gryphon prince. As for not knowing what to do, just be you. I’d certainly like to be more than a friend, but only if you do too.”

The lump in Gallus’ throat was burning, turning any words to ash. As the burning rose to his eyes, the gryphon could only choke out a sentence or two. Time for the sappy but very appropriate idea.

“S-silver, remember when I said in the crazy fear cave, ’hug time later?’ I think it’s later.”

The hippogriff gladly obliged, wrapping the gryphon up in another hug. To her instant enjoyment, he actually returned the gesture.

Gallus knew it’d be a cruel trick of fate to have the rest of his friends watching from around the corner, but at that moment he didn’t care. Tears rolled down the distraught gryphon’s cheeks as Silverstream let him rest against her neck. He didn’t want to cry; but when Silverstream gently rested her head against his-
It thawed what must have been a gallon of frozen tears, iced over from years of no affection.

I guess this is what it’s like to be hugged by someone who actually cares about you. Parents. Siblings. Special somegriff… The thought flitted through Gallus’ mind on a whim. Having Silverstream close enough to feel her heart beat in her chest gave Gallus a comfort and warmth that no number of blankets could have replicated. He didn’t miss the happy shiver that ran through Silverstream either; something that just caused him to smile ever so slightly.

It must have only been a minute or two, but after what felt like ten times longer, Gallus wiped his eyes and pulled back to look at Silverstream.
“I-erm, thanks Silver.” He mumbled, blue feathered cheeks shining violet.

To both his surprise and amusement, her own pink cheeks were only pinker.

“A-anytime. And when did I become Silver?” Her head tilted in curiosity, promptly Gallus to draw a blank.

“Uh, haven’t I called you that before?”

“Eh. Once or twice. I like it though.”

Letting out a sigh of relief, Gallus ran a set of claws through his ruffled headfeathers.

“Um, I’m glad. Kinda just fit.”

The smile on Silverstream’s face kept getting wider- at least that was a good sign. Also smiling back to the hippogriff, Gallus took a deep breath before finally speaking.
“So, um, Silverstream, I’d really like to be more than a friend too, even if I have no idea how to do that, or go from here, or anything.” He managed to stammer out.

“WE’LLFIGUREITOUTBUTYAAAAAY!”

Even though it hurt his ears, hearing Silverstream answer at the top of her lungs as she zipped into the air brought a smile to Gallus’ face. He couldn’t help but chuckle as she flew down and landed in front of him. Was she crying again?

“Are you ok Silverstream?” He asked cautiously, relief flooding his frame as she hiccupped and nodded.

“J-just happy. Never had a special somegriff before.” She replied with a sniff.

That caused an eyebrow raise from the skeptical gryphon.
“What? Really? I’m…rather surprised actually. You’re so happy and bubbly, I can’t see why not.”

That comment apparently earned him bonus points, because Silverstream gave him another hug- this one of the usual bone-crushing intensity.
“That’s so sweeeeeeeet.”

“Silver. Breathing.” Gallus gasped, still smiling as she bounced in place happily.

“I can’t wait to tell everyone! I wonder what they’ll think? Or- Umm.” She looked over to him expectantly, ears flattening slightly.
“I can tell our friends, right?” She asked, tone a bit more subdued.

Gallus sighed, already imagining the endless jokes and looks that were bound to come his way.
But, if these moments were any indication, it’d be worth it.
“Yeah, of course. Just, maybe not announcing it from the rooftops?” He said, scuffing the floor with a set of claws.
“I do like you Silverstream. I’m just not used to all this. Like hugs in front of everybody and stuff.”

It pained Gallus to see Silverstream’s wings droop ever so slightly at his words.
“Like, at all?”

Gallus shook his head, scooting a bit closer to her.
“I never said that. Just not a ton. Maybe small stuff in front of others at first? I’m still getting used to everything, let alone in front of everyone. If that makes sense.”

Silverstream perked right up, nodding with a wide grin.
“That makes sense! Maybe we can go to Sugar Cube corner? That’s what Sandbar and Ocellus did for their first date.”
Gallus mulled over the hippogriff’s words, finally nodding.

“Eh, why not. Sounds good to me.”

Just before they excited the hallway, Gallus put a set of claws on Silverstream’s shoulder in pause.
“Hey, Silverstream? Thanks.” He said softly, making sure to look into her calming eyes as he did so. She just smiled, nodding with her usual wide grin, eyes slightly damp.

“And also, just because I don’t want to hug or other stuff in front of others doesn’t mean I don’t like it.”
Just after speaking, Gallus pulled her into a genuine and tight hug. The instant comfort and warmth that spread through his frame as she hugged him back was enough to almost cause him to tear up again.
“Because I really, really do.”

Author's Note:

Feedback is always appreciated. This is going to be a series of very fluffy and feelings-laden one-shots with Gallus and Silverstream (following a general plot.) Within the story, it'll indicate how Gallus' past is an inescapable thing.
Then again, so is Silverstream :rainbowlaugh:

A thank you to Reading4HalfMyLife for the final shove I needed to get a story for this adorable pair!

Note: Here's the timeline I'm working with.
(School starts middle of year ---> 1st Hearth's warming ---> Season 8 finale, 2nd HW(changed to mention in 1st chapter), ---> 8 months --> Start of fic.)