• Published 4th Oct 2018
  • 1,374 Views, 33 Comments

Tale of a Comet: White Light - Ashfur



A decade after the events of the show, a mysterious pegasus falls from the sky above the Crystal Empire

  • ...
4
 33
 1,374

A Subzero Soliloquy

"-re you okay, Comet? COMET!" As the dust settled, a white alicorn filled the vision of a gray pony splayed out on the ground. Flurry heart had entered the cavern with Comet, but a distant rumbling had brought about yet another earthquake. In the aftershock, both ponies managed to somehow avoid getting seriously hurt, some loose snow on the outside of the entrance had collapsed in a small avalanche, trapping the pair inside the dark, frozen cave.

"Ugh, I'm fine. Just... gimmie a minute. I think I hurt my... everything." Looking up, he added, "Are you okay, Flurry? I don't want my friends getting put in danger like that."

Flurry helped her companion to his hooves, supporting him with her wing. "Come on, I doubt the others are much further ahead. If we hurry, maybe we can get to the treasure or whatever it is before they do! You're lucky I don't call you a whiny colt, but you get a pass because you really are fragile right now."

The pair quickly trudged on down the corridor, following the twisting labyrinth of tunnels until they too came across the skeleton Starlight and company had passed previously. "WOW! Look at that, Comet! We should rest here for a moment, it seems like a good spot to catch our breath anyway. And besides," Flurry added with a yawn, "I'm exhausted. I hope we don't have to keep this up for much longer."

Comet didn't even come close to hearing his friend. Instead, he was focused on his own reflection in the ice. True, his monochrome form stared back, but he also caught a glimpse of the human he used to be, in his mind's eye. Isolating his mind, he focused on his feelings instead of the physical world for a moment.

This... This is really me now, huh? I thought it was just a dream or some trick at first, but it's been months and I still find myself waking up with four hooves and wings. What happened? Did I die? Is my family back home moving on from putting me... Comet choked back a sob, barely audible. He swore he saw the smiling faces of his parents in the shimmering ice wall. No... no. I can't fall into despair like that so easily. I have to be strong right now. It's too cold for tears anyway...

Besides, that would only cement the fact that I'm weak. Look at yourself, Comet. A gray echo of who you were. He found himself looking at his former body, wearing the same white robe with rainbow trim he wore during his final moments as a human. He blinked, and the colors changed: The radiant white became a pitch black, and the multicolored trim of the robe grayed until no color could be distinguished. Another blink, and he found his pony self staring back once more.

Comet sighed. But what have I gained here? I've got a fresh start, nopony to pick on my awkwardness. And Flurry is the best friend I could ask for. Funny, kind, and just the right amount of adventurous to know where to start and just how far we should go. And for the first time in a long time, I feel free. In a world where what we are meant to do is painted on our flanks, there's way less stress over thinking ahead.

So why... why do you have to come and ruin everything? Why couldn't you just live your own life? You exist in the real world now, beyond my dreams and nightmares. Go. Thrive. But do it the right way, not like this. We aren't what we used to be, old friend. An ex-human and his ex-human shadow. Heh, I should have realized that's what you put those letters in for, you clever Creature. Fine, if you want to add an EX to your name, I won't argue. In fact, I know we'll be seeing each other a lot over the next few years. The stars are my DESTINY now, old friend. I will gather them. I will keep my friends and this new world safe from your threat, be it real or imaginary. I swear on the stars that I won't stop until I've wiped that stupid grin off your face and put myself... ourselves... back together. A boy and his shadow.

Watch yourself, old friend. There's a Comet on a collision course with you, and he won't leave you be until the world need not fear you anymore. But just a few more minutes, and I'll be able to say it to your face.

"Comet, you coming?"

"Yeah. I'm ready. Let's do this."

See you soon, Extrema Units. Or to be more accurate...

See you soon, Exterminatus.

Author's Note:

So, who decoded the name? Give yourself a cookie if you solved it before the big reveal. Terminatus, now Ex-Terminatus, is the monster stealing the shadows of ponies. How? Why? Where did he come from? The answers will come in due time, my friends.