• Published 4th Oct 2018
  • 1,374 Views, 33 Comments

Tale of a Comet: White Light - Ashfur



A decade after the events of the show, a mysterious pegasus falls from the sky above the Crystal Empire

  • ...
4
 33
 1,374

Make a wish upon me

Flurry Heart sat in the main courtyard of the Crystal Palace, located in the Crystal Empire in the northern reaches of Equestria. Upon her head, instead of her usual tiara, was a party hat, and the courtyard's main feature that evening was a mountain of gifts for the young princess. After all, a royal's birthday is something to be celebrated.

"...Happy birthday dear Flurry, Happy birthday to you!" Sang the crowd of ponies in attendance. Mostly nobles were the ones present, but a few of the ponies were ones she actually cared about. Those few were her mother and father, Princess Celestia and Luna, and the bearers of the Elements of Harmony. Her adviser Sunburst was there too, but he was spending the day with his foalhood friend Starlight Glimmer. So, atop her pile of gifts, she surveyed all those present, and noticed the same thing she noticed every year: There were no ponies her age present who were not from the nobility. And the noble ponies her age that tried to befriend her only did it for the connections it would provide.

Flurry Heart sighed, looking up at the twinkling stars in the night sky. "I wish I had somepony who wasn't uptight and all about money and power," she quietly lamented. "I'd trade all these gifts for one real, true friend. One who's willing to do more than sit around and discuss politics. One who loves adventure!" As she gazed upwards, she saw a shooting star, and made her wish for a friend on it.

Gliding down the pile of gifts to her family, she nuzzled Luna closely. "Thanks for that, Auntie Luna. I don't know how hard it is to change the sky after you've made it for the night, but I really appreciate it."

Luna nuzzled back, but turned to look at Flurry inquisitively. "Thine affections are appreciated, but of what dost thou speak of, dear niece?" Flurry simply pointed upwards at the shooting star. Luna's eyes went wide with shock. "Flurry, we did not make that one."

"Then who did?"

Among the nobles present, many more noticed the star as well, but wishes quickly turned to terror as the crowd realized that the shooting star was rapidly getting closer. "A question to be investigated later, dear niece. For now, we must find shelter! 'Tis coming right at us!" The royals joined the crowd in a mad dash for cover. It's funny how an impending disaster suddenly makes all titles and ranks disappear. Ponies huddled together with their closest friends and archrivals, it mattered not as long as they were safe. And as the falling star grew closer, ponies seemed to compress together even further, until with a deafening blast and a massive cloud of dust and debris, it hit the ground.

More specifically, it obliterated Flurry's present pile, as it happened to be right at the point of impact.


"Is everypony alright?" Became the phrase of the night, along with "I'm okay!" It seemed as though, thank harmony, the impact had been lessened by the now-destroyed presents and no major injuries had occurred. Of course, once the dust had settled, the nobles began trying to one-up each other again in promises of replacement gifts. Flurry simply left them to their bickering and flew over the crater to see if anything was salvageable. It was worth it to see the meteor, at least.

Carefully climbing down amidst the rubble with her aunt Twilight, Flurry pondered about the wish she made for a friend. She had certainly traded all her gifts away, she thought while suppressing a chuckle.

"Don't worry Flurry. We will get you something to make up for this, I promise," Twilight said in a comforting tone. "But this is still amazing! A real meteor, fresh from space, and we get to investigate it! And judging by the looks of things, our meteor should be ringht... here?!"

Lifting a final peice of rubble out of the way, the two ponies found their meteor. There, right at the center of the crater, a single pegasus colt lay battered, bruised, and barely breathing. Covered in dirt, dust, and debris, it was impossible to tell anything more about the pony.

Twilight had only one thing to say.

"Oh, sweet Celestia! Somepony get a medic down here!"

Author's Note:

And the second half of the prologue reaches its end. Yes, this is a human-turned pony story.

Also, the technical term for a rock entering the atmosphere is meteoroid, but meteor works better in writing.