• Published 2nd Aug 2012
  • 5,510 Views, 191 Comments

A Marvelous Rainbow - ThePartyCannon



Rainbow Dash finds herself in a strange world, with strange new abilities.

  • ...
12
 191
 5,510

Issue One: The Sonic Rainboom

“Prepare to meet your doom, evildoer!”

The tiny filly’s voice resounded throughout Ponyville’s town square, oblivious to the obvious racket she was causing to the otherwise tranquil scene. With tiny wings flapping, the orange filly rocketed towards her target. Her purple cape billowed in the wind as her target drew closer and closer, until she was right on top of it!

Literally.

Rainbow Dash fell to the ground with a thud. As the dust settled, the pegasus slowly opened her large, magenta eyes. Lying strewn across her back was the recognizable young filly, Scootaloo.

“Uh, sorry Rainbow Dash.” she said with a nervous chuckle, obviously not being sorry at all. The truth is, she would take any chance she could get to tackle Rainbow to the ground.

“Don’t worry about it, squirt.” Dash said as she stood, keeping Scootaloo balanced on her strong wings. “What’re you doing anyway?”

Scootaloo hopped off of Dash’s back and looked to the ground in embarrassment. She grumbled something quietly as she kicked at the dirt with her little hoof.

“Come on, you can tell me! Was it more Cutie Mark... whatever stuff?” Rainbow Dash pleaded, trying to pry the answers out of the filly’s head.

Crusaders!” Scootaloo said exaggeratedly, “But no, I’m not.”

“Okay then, what are you doing?”

“I was, uh...” she closed her eyes tight, as if not seeing Rainbow Dash would ease the confession, “...pretending to be a superhero!”

Almost like a reflex, Rainbow Dash burst into laughter, cackling madly into the sky. Scootaloo turned an interesting shade of red before stammering out a response,

“W-what’s so funny?”

Rainbow tried to talk through her laughter, but doubled over again after her attempts were met by an array of snorts. Ponies stared at the obnoxious mare as they walked by, worried as to whether or not they should call the mental clinic. Even though the embarrassment hit Scootaloo like a train, she couldn’t help but join in on the contagious laughter. Soon the laughter of both ponies filled the town square, effectively vacating the area.

“Whats... so funny... about superheroes?” Scootaloo asked through fits of giggles.

“Oh.” Rainbow replied as she finally collected herself, “Superheroes are just... weird. I mean, they run around in bright colored tights and do silly things like save babies and-”

“You were a superhero once! Remember?” Scootaloo said. This time it was Rainbow’s turn to blush.

“Uh... Well... You see...” she stammered, thinking of a good excuse. “That... wasn’t me! You have me confused with some other pony!”

“Uh-huh, sure.” Scootaloo said unimpressed, “I doubt anypony could mistake you for another pony.”

“Well, they did this time. I would never want to be a superhero.” she said, crossing her hooves.

“Not all superheroes are lame...” Scootaloo said, forcing her way between Rainbow’s crossed hooves.

“Like who? And don’t you dare say Mare Do Well!”

“I was thinking of Buff Bantam.” the filly said as she sunk to the ground.

“Who in the hoof is that?” Rainbow asked. She was starting to feel the tendrils of annoyance peeling away at the back of her head. Scootaloo was nice and all, but only in small doses. Too much Scootaloo can be harmful to a pony’s health.

“He’s only, like, the BEST superhero ever! He can fly! And he can’t get hurt! And he always catches the bad guy!”

“Piece of cake! I could do that any day.”

“I doubt it. Buff Bantam is so fast, he can fly to the sun and back before you even realize he was gone!” Scootaloo said, running circles around Rainbow Dash.

“Easy peasy. I would too, but Twilight says I can’t go into space. Something about vacuums, or some boring egghead stuff like that.”

“Well, whatever a vacuum is, it’s not strong enough to beat Buff Bantam!” Scootaloo edged on, almost intentionally trying to get on Rainbow’s nerves.

Rainbow sighed, “Has he ever done a Sonic Rainboom? Last I checked, yours truly was the only pony to pull it off.”

“He can do better! He can fly so fast, that he can travel through time! Like this one time, this evil doctor from the future goes back in time to beat Buff Bantam when he was just a colt. So he starts flying around-”

Rainbow rubbed her temples as Scootaloo went on with the story, waving her hooves in the air and running around to simulate the over-the-top action events. As her story died down, Rainbow slowly shook her head; she was losing her most avid fan, and she wouldn’t let free admiration like that slip through her hooves.

“What do I have to do to prove to you that I’m better than Buff Bantam?” She asked harshly.

Scootaloo brought a hoof to her chin for a moment, tapping gently as she cooked up a solution. In reality, there was no way to prove your worth against Buff Bantam. Scootaloo figured that the only way Rainbow could be compared to Buff Bantam would be if she crowned herself Princess and used her royal powers to rewrite every issue of the comic, turning Buff Bantam into a wimp. But since coup d'état wasn’t in Dash’s forte, she went with a simple test.

“A race! We’ll have you fly as fast as you can. We’ll know that you beat Buff Bantam when you find yourself...” Scootaloo raised onto her hind hooves and whipped her head back, screaming to the sky, “...Back in time!

Rainbow was unimpressed, “I don’t think that was as cool as you thought it would be. But I’ll do it; it’ll be easy!”

“We’ll see.” Scootaloo chuckling, “We’ll see...”

*****

Soft green grass flowed gently in the wind outside of Ponyville. Large open plains stretched out for miles, making it the perfect spot for practicing flying. Or in this case, perfect for showing up an imaginary comic book character. Rainbow and Scootaloo positioned themselves at one end of a large, flat expanse of land.

“Maybe we should have gotten Sweetie Belle first.” Scootaloo said as she watched Rainbow stretch her wings, “She’s got a camera and stuff. She could take pictures of what it looks like to go through time!”

“It’s probably not that exciting. I watched this one movie with Twilight about time travel. All they did was get in a cart, and there were some cheesy effects, and then they somehow showed up in the past.” She finished her sentence as she took her place on the starting line, getting low to the ground. Scootaloo was nearly bursting at the seams as she watched her idol.

“Ready?” Scootaloo asked tentatively, not wanting to ruin the moment.

Rainbow merely nodded.

“On your mark!”

Piece of cake.

“Get set!”

Just do a Sonic Rainboom or two and she’ll be impressed. No need to go all out.

“GO!”

The grass around Rainbow caught fire in a blaze of glory as she bolted away from her position at speeds that rivaled lightning itself. Scootaloo was blown over casually by the sheer force of the takeoff, but quickly got back on her hooves to watch the coming spectacle. Soaring at a dizzying height was the tiny black speck that was formerly Rainbow Dash. It climbed higher and higher into the clouds until it was nearly invisible.

High above the clouds, Rainbow took a deep breath before pulling her wings into her sides. They pressed tightly against her body as she rocketed straight down towards the ground miles below her. A bright mach cloud formed around her as she pushed past the familiar barrier of sound, followed shortly by breaking the barrier of light. Rainbows shot out in every direction as a loud boom echoed through the peaceful valley.

Her first Sonic Rainboom of the day had been a success, but Rainbow was unamused. She still had plenty of room to fly; nearly a mile left between her and the ground. She pushed herself farther, gaining as much speed and adrenaline as possible. She had never gone this fast before, and cherished the feeling.

A second cone formed around Dash. Her heart leapt in her chest as she thought of the possibilities. Two Sonic Rainbooms in the same dive! Driving herself harder, she plummeted toward the ground as her body was enveloped by the cone. Despite the tearing and ripping of the wind, she could feel a tiny tingling sensation slowly overtake her entire body.

The ground was getting closer now and she could see Scootaloo’s tiny figure rushing towards her. Begrudgingly, Rainbow decided there wasn’t enough room to pull off another Rainboom, and quickly tried to pull out of it. She shot her wings out, only to have them pressed against her by the force of the freefall. No matter how hard she tried, there was no way to pull her wings out.

Which meant there was no way to brake. Or steer.

Rainbow clenched her eyes shut painfully. She felt the wind against her skin for the final seconds of falling. Before she hit the ground, she could hear the tiny whelps of Scootaloo, followed immediately by a sharp ringing in her ears. Everything went dim for a moment before Rainbow plummeted into the ground at nearly one-thousand miles an hour.

*****

Dash’s memories slowly floated around her as she seemed suspended in air. Her mother’s smile, her first flight, her coltfriend from flight school, and her friends in Ponyville intruded Dash’s mind, filling her with a bitter nostalgia. As her conscious slipped back into reality, the memories slowly faded to black, leaving Dash alone. An empty chill ran through her, both mentally and physically.

As Dash used up her last bits of consciousness, she came to the conclusion that, given everything that could have happened, faceplanting into the ground after a Sonic Rainboom isn’t the worst death she could have had. It was way more awesome than dying from old age, or something lame like the flu. Her only complaint was how wet her face was. The cold waves stung Rainbow’s brain like a knife, making her entire ordeal all the more painful.

She brought a hoof to her face to smear the wetness away, only to have it return seconds later.

Oh well, she thought I’ll be dead in a few-

Her thoughts stopped in their tracks as the realization hit her. She moved a hoof again, tracing tiny lines in the ground underneath her. She was alive!

Slowly her eyelids lifted, bombarding her eyeballs with water. She sat onto her haunches in a flash, whipping her head up out of the water. Her mane was soaked, and water had nestled into the crevices in her lungs, forcing loud fits of hacking coughs. Coughing rattled her chest, aching her ribs and internal organs, but not to Dash’s dismay. She was happy enough to not have been turned into a crater.

“Now... Where am I?” she asked groggily, still not feeling comfortable sitting upright.

Surrounding her were three tall brick walls, spanning into the sky at least one-hundred feet. Behind her, a long corridor stretched on for a while before turning right into the darkness of an alley. The ground below her was cluttered with gratuitous amounts of trash and litter, and was speckled by puddles of murky brown water. The aroma of the entire place was... Let’s just say it was unpleasant.

The pegasus got to her feet, carefully trying not to fall over again. She looked around, perplexed.

“What is this place? Am I dead or not!” she commanded to no one. Unsurprisingly, no one answered. Impatiently, Rainbow huffed and slowly made her way down the alley.

“I don’t even care where I am.” she said again to the air. “It’s not like I can’t fly on back to Ponyville! I’m Rainbow Dash! Fastest flier in-”

Her trademarked title was interrupted by a high pitched squeal of terror. Her heart jumped in her throat as it echoed from further down the alley. It sounded like a mare, high pitched and filled with worry. Seeing the opportunity to help somepony in need, and the opportunity to receive some admiration, Rainbow did her best to bolt towards the noise. She took two steps before clumsily tripping over her hooves and falling onto her face.

“Ponyfeathers...” she swore, rubbing her muzzle. Slowly she took one step forward, always keeping three hooves on the ground. Her pace was mind-numbingly slow, but it was progress.

“Hold on! I’m coming!” Rainbow screamed down the alley.